Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig?

Comments

James_A_F wrote:
    At first I would have said I'd decide by flipping a coin, but after watching a fan-made u-tube video done up to look like a film trailer for Property of a lady: I've gotta say Dalton, he's still got it.

Good trailer. Craig still beats him though :p
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,882
    James_A_F wrote:
    At first I would have said I'd decide by flipping a coin, but after watching a fan-made u-tube video done up to look like a film trailer for Property of a lady: I've gotta say Dalton, he's still got it.

As if he could ever loose it. Craig however, is still to find it. And the only way Craig could win, is if Dalton let him. Unless it's a pouting match, then I don't think Craig has any rivals. ;)
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Dalton would beat Craig with the snarling though ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Dalton would beat Craig with the snarling though ;)

Yes, but that's a good contest to win in. :P
    Timothy Dalton by a large margin.

Why a large margin? I prefer Dalton but only by a small margin as he is more refined and sophisticated than Craig. I would argue however that Craig is a bit more charming than Dalton. I felt Dalton was a little dead pan when it came to charming the dames. After Bond 23 then I might decide that they are equal in rank.

As if he could ever loose it. Craig however, is still to find it. And the only way Craig could win, is if Dalton let him. Unless it's a pouting match, then I don't think Craig has any rivals. ;)

Dalton only win over Craig if they compete in a cello case skiing race, i have no doubt Dalton would win in such race...Dalton's Bond is like Valentino Rossi if we talk about cello case skiing

Craig would probably be wearing speedos during the cello case ski race which in my mind would be a fatal error!

chuck007 wrote:

Dalton only win over Craig if they compete in a cello case skiing race, i have no doubt Dalton would win in such race...Dalton's Bond is like Valentino Rossi if we talk about cello case skiing

Dalton would win in that too. He's a master of controlling all known, and some unknown, forms of transport. Everything from a Tanker to a humble Cello case.
    To my mind, Dalton is the only actor to have attempted to portray Ian Fleming's character faithfully on screen and succeed, and for that reason he's my favourite Bond. (Lazenby attempted to do so as well, but didn't succeed.) Daniel Craig is a great action hero for our times, but I really find it difficult to think of him as James Bond - more Jason Bourne in better clothes.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Timothy Dalton in a tanker
    Daniel Craig in a bulldozer
    Pierce Brosnan in a tank

Wow...Bond certainly loves his big destructive vehicles :D
    chuck007 wrote:

Dalton would win in that too. He's a master of controlling all known, and some unknown, forms of transport. Everything from a Tanker to a humble Cello case.

Yes that's what Dalton's Bond at best, as a Her Majesty Driver Service he must know all kind of transportations... :D
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Timothy Dalton in a tanker
    Daniel Craig in a bulldozer
    Pierce Brosnan in a tank

Wow...Bond certainly loves his big destructive vehicles :D

Don't Forget Moore in a Bondolla

:D
    Good choice, always really like Carey Lowell to but she doesn't seem to be a fave amongst Bond girls.

She's my 2nd favourite bond girl.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    Tim would probably wipe out Craig with his signature gun or his explosive alarm clock. And don´t forget about the amazing car he had in TLD! I´m gonna vote for Tim, only because I like his movies more and he has gadgets, plus that he looks more like Bond.
    It has to be Craig for me, Dalton may look more like the Fleming Bond the die hard keep harping on about, but he just did not connect well with the movie going public. If your leading man in an iconic role does not light up the screen, lacks the charm, zing and sexual frisson with the opposite sex then you have a problem. Daniel like Sean has that certain something in spades.
  • While I certainly like them both I have to go with Dalton, mainly because I'm a big fan of the Fleming novels. In fact, whenever I read any of the books, whether they're written by Fleming, Gardner, or Benson, I always picture Bond as Dalton. Another thing Dalton has going for him is that he had two EXCELLENT movies. But Craig at the moment is 1 for 2. CR was wonderful but QOS is the worst Bond film ever made. Not Craig's fault, however. He did what he could with that trash. My ranking:
    1. Connery
    2. Dalton
    3. Craig
    4. Moore
    5. Brosnan
    6. Lazenby
    Of all Bonds Dalton is , imo , the closest to Fleming's creation and like Connery, Craig has that special something that makes him more entertaining cinematic hero. I'm not saying Craig is better than Dalton or that Dalton is better than Craig. They're about equal in my book.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 2,594
    Craig is rather similar to the literary character too but less so than Dalton. Craig however handles humour and charm better than that of Dalton I think. Discounting Craig's blond hair that is cut too short and his hankering for killing many people (the literary Bond doesn't like killing in cold blood), then he gets pretty close to Fleming's Bond. Maybe Craig will be more refined in Skyfall which will edge him even closer. Craig is perhaps a little more comedic than his literary counterpart.
  • Timothy. He looks more like Bond and his portrayal is closer to the Bond of Fleming's novels.
    Timothy. He looks more like Bond and his portrayal is closer to the Bond of Fleming's novels.

Nice username ;)
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    Timothy. He looks more like Bond and his portrayal is closer to the Bond of Fleming's novels.

Nice username ;)

Thanks.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I've said it before, but I feel the need to say it again. Dalton can't be beaten. The only people that have come close are Brosnan and Connery.
    Yes @Sandy. I don't know what's the problem with Dalton, but he looks out of place in the Bond films. Craig has much more natural charm, magnetic presence and charisma (even though IMO he can still improve). I watched TLD last night, and it seems Craig may move up to 5th place in my rankings, with Dalton going last. Sorry for the Dalton fans, but Tim is just too stiff. He has some very good scenes, but also some very akward scenes, which seem to cancel each other out and make his take on Bond 'passable'.

Dalton has less charm? This picture disagrees...

timothy-dalton-wikipedia-bond.jpg
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I've said it before, but I feel the need to say it again. Dalton can't be beaten. The only people that have come close are Brosnan and Connery.
    Yes @Sandy. I don't know what's the problem with Dalton, but he looks out of place in the Bond films. Craig has much more natural charm, magnetic presence and charisma (even though IMO he can still improve). I watched TLD last night, and it seems Craig may move up to 5th place in my rankings, with Dalton going last. Sorry for the Dalton fans, but Tim is just too stiff. He has some very good scenes, but also some very akward scenes, which seem to cancel each other out and make his take on Bond 'passable'.

Dalton has less charm? This picture disagrees...

timothy-dalton-wikipedia-bond.jpg

You have got to be kidding me You are trying to convince people of Dalton's charm with a photo? Not the best way. And that photo in particular? =)) I always thought he looked like a pimp in there! Ah, men!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,686
    Sorry but Dalton looks out-of-place in that photo........ he seems to say 'what am I doing here ??'..... and his pants are just ridiculous.....
    He looks more like Nick Nack than Bond in that picture.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Sorry but Dalton looks out-of-place in that photo........ he seems to say 'what am I doing here ??'..... and his pants are just ridiculous.....

Hahaha, yeah I'll give you that one :) I don't think he's out of place though.
    Sandy wrote:
    You have got to be kidding me You are trying to convince people of Dalton's charm with a photo? Not the best way. And that photo in particular? I always thought he looked like a pimp in there! Ah, men!

James bond looks like a pimp alot of the time to be fair. And posting a photo seemed easier than going through youtube looking for footage. Here's an example though: the LTK ending.

Yes, he certainly does look more like the literary Bond than Craig. He looks the closest to the book Bond than any of the actors with his dark hair and blue grey eyes. In terms of humour I think Dalton is a little deadpan and the same goes for his charm. I always pictured the literary Bond to be more ainmated when he was funny or charming like Daniel Craig. That said, at the moment Dalton is closer to Fleming's Bond than Daniel Craig but not by alot...in terms of personality that is, not looks.

We all know Daltons better, is there any point in this thread ;)
    We all know Daltons better, is there any point in this thread ;)

Since you put it that way, that may very well be the case here. But we all agree to disagree eventually, but It's plain sailing for me with Dalton here

That's a great Dalton trailer that some nutter fan put together above. Dalton just has so much screen presence compared to Brozza and even Craig. It's a huge shame he never made another film. I have to admit, I personally rank him above Craig. He pretty much had it all IMO, but with a very nice line in subtlety. Watching that trailer makes your spine tingle - he actually brought a real sense of danger to the role. Craig comes across as a little unhinged sometimes but not with the same intelligent, committed, dangerousnesss.