Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig?

Comments

• edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Yes, but Dan doesn't look like he'll say "to be or not to be" either.

Some people also talk about Dalton's constant snarls/angry faces/deep sighs (*cough*NicNac*cough*). I see what they mean. That's theatrical acting.

Craig's just...cooler.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Yes, but Dan doesn't look like he'll say "to be or not to be" either.

Some people also talk about Dalton's constant snarls/angry faces/deep sighs. That's theatrical acting.

Craig's just...cooler.

I don't understand the argument that a classical training/background in theatre counts against you. Presumably your 'Dame' Judi suffers from the same problems...?

No...Dame Judi is the more natural screen actress.

Compared to Dalts she's had an enormously sucessful screen career. She knows when to go "overboard" and when to tone it down.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    No...Dame Judi is the more natural screen actress.

Compared to Dalts she's had an enormously sucessful screen career.

Really?

But Dalts was James Bond and loads of other stuff. How does Judi top that?
    Getafix wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Nope. Still don't get it.

Any way, I think Tim has made an impressive showing, especially considering the Craigster is the current Bond.

Exactly, but they are never satisfied. Sometimes I feel, its a bit of mercy voting, like making up for loosing the job too early.

I guess you had to find some way to explain it away...

It couldn't be that - shock, horror - he was actually pretty good?

Yes, could be, but people tend to vote for the underdog just because...
    You mean like with Brosnan and Craig...?
    Well Dench is STILL in lots of stuff well into her 70s (nearing her 80s in fact). She's played M soon to be six times. She's co-starred as Queen Elizabeth, Iris Murdoch and J Edgar Hoover's mother.

Plus her LONG list of nominations for the screen would make Dalts go weak at the knees.

Dalton...err...in the last 10 years his most memorable role was a bit part in Toy Story 3 as a talking hedgehog.

Dench is a more charismatic actor. Again, thats a fact.

She has a screen career/legacy that Dalton can only dream of.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Dalton...err...in the last 10 years his most memorable role was a bit part in Toy Story 3 as a talking hedgehog.

Dalts MADE that movie!
    Getafix wrote:

We tend to do that, whoever is concerned. It did happen for Brosnan, when he was replaced and it did happen for DC, when everybody and his dog where all over him ripping him apart and now, it might happen to Dalton - lets say, a mix of people who truly like him and others, who feel sorry for him and want to help him to some late Bond honors. COULD BE, not saying I know for sure.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Dalts MADE that movie!

Yes, the 19th speaking role was important. ;) Is it just me or are you not really having an opinion, but just posting away..sometimes I can agree with you and the next I read, its the exact opposite to what you just said or close...
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

We tend to do that, whoever is concerned. It did happen for Brosnan, when he was replaced and it did happen for DC, when everybody and his dog where all over him ripping him apart and now, it might happen to Dalton - lets say, a mix of people who truly like him and others, who feel sorry for him and want to help him to some late Bond honors. COULD BE, not saying I know for sure.

Sounds like you're one for the conspiracy theories.

Obviously, it's not that people actually like him.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Dalts MADE that movie!

He was awesome but he had about 4 bloomin' lines.
    Getafix wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Why are you exaggerating my words? Is that necessary to make them sound wrong?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Dalts MADE that movie!

Oscar winners, every single one.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Dalts MADE that movie!

And Dalton won the Oscar?
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Why are you exaggerating my words? Is that necessary to make them sound wrong?

What have I exaggerated? You're saying that people vote for Craig because he's good but vote for Dalts because he's a washed up old has-been (which is actually true). I'm saying people vite for Dalts and Craig because they like them and think they're damn fine Bonds.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Dalts MADE that movie!

And Dalton won the Oscar?

Yes. You didn't hear? He shared it with Brozza this year.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Toy Story 3? I preferred Dalton in Hawks. It's a tricky subject matter, but I think they handled it with respect.
    What was Hawks? Never seen it.
    Getafix wrote:
    What have I exaggerated? You're saying that people vote for Craig because he's good but vote for Dalts because he's a washed up old has-been (which is actually true). I'm saying people vite for Dalts and Craig because they like them and think they're damn fine Bonds.

See, I didn't say that - I said, PART of the vote might be for that reason and I highlighted, that its just an assumption. This is what I call a big and somewhat unfair exaggeration on your part
    Toy Story 3? I preferred Dalton in Hawks. It's a tricky subject matter, but I think they handled it with respect.

I've never seen Hawks but I've heard its pretty good. Hardly, a well known film though wouldn't you agree?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Getafix wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097487/

It's my favourite Dalton film. Yep, I put it above TLD & LTK.
    BAIN123 wrote:

I've never seen Hawks but I've heard its pretty good. Hardly, a well known film though wouldn't you agree?

I don't think it is well known, but what difference does that make? :-? It's still my favourite Dalton film.
    X_X But I can't believe myself. I said, I'd stop.
    You can call me on that...
    Getafix wrote:

I don't think it is well known, but what difference does that make?

Well it's one of the few times Dalts is the lead outside of Bond - yet not that many people know about it. Not saying its a bad film btw. However take something like A Beautiful Mind, a (very good) film about ANOTHER delicate subject but which gained attention. Why? Because of Russel Crowe's screen charisma and attraction.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I know about Hawks from a photo posted in the BondCapCon thread many a week ago.
    Is it about the failed US invasion of Somalia?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I don't think it is well known, but what difference does that make?

Well it's one of the few times Dalts is the lead outside of Bond - yet not that many people know about it.

I don't think there's any point in recommending it, unless the other person has an interest (however big or small) in Daltons career. It may be a bit too Exorcist for some, but I liked Possessed as well. It was made in 2000, and Dalton looks like he could have walked into the EON office, and taken back the role that he should never have given up. B-)
    I am interested in watching Hawks actually. It sounds like a pretty good film.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I am interested in watching Hawks actually. It sounds like a pretty good film.

Apparently he's a bit 'thespy' in it.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Nope. Still don't get it.

Any way, I think Tim has made an impressive showing, especially considering the Craigster is the current Bond.

Exactly, but they are never satisfied. Sometimes I feel, its a bit of mercy voting, like making up for loosing the job too early.

I guess you had to find some way to explain it away...

It couldn't be that - shock, horror - he was actually pretty good?

Yes, could be, but people tend to vote for the underdog just because...

Well I don't know about anyone else but I didn't vote for Dalton because he was "the underdog" I voted for him because he always has been my favourite and I think his version of Bond is the most badass yet.

Same goes for Brosnan, I voted for him because I like (3 of) his films and the way he mixed up the best bits of past Bonds to make one version, not because he was the underdog.

I like Craig but QOS was a let down imo. I'm looking forward to Skyfall, he might even overtake Brosnan/Connery on my list if it's a really good film, but I don't think he'll overtake Dalton.

Never seen Hawks, I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen much from Dalton outside of Bond. He was awesome in Hot Fuzz though.