Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig?

Comments

BAIN123 wrote:
    Haha. No, I am a sad twenty-something male.

Seriously @Germanlady. As one of the few women on this site who do u find more appealing and engaging as a lead? Dalton or Brosnan?

This is a bad question for me to answr, as I find Dalton not the least attractive and Brosnan is far more appealing to me..

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,691
    Casting Brosnan was only the first step of casting Craig... first you cast a very attractive pretty-boy, brings in lots of of female audience.... and the you cast Craig, who is the new Connery - very handsome in a non-classic way, rugged, masculine with a huge load of screen and magnetic presence..... and Babs finally has the huge female fanbase she wanted, so she can infuse all the pro-feminist stuff she wants in the franchise.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    . I say that NOT as a horny middle aged woman.

So you are a satisfied middle aged woman?

Hahaha, NEIN. Bain said it and I thought it was funny, that's all.
    Germanlady wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Seriously @Germanlady. As one of the few women on this site who do u find more appealing and engaging as a lead? Dalton or Brosnan?

This is a bad question for me to answr, as I find Dalton not the least attractive and Brosnan is far more appealing to me..

My impression was always that Broz was a big hit with the ladies and that many women didn't think much of Dalts. But then according to the posters on this site, no one thought much of the Dalts full stop.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

My impression was always that Broz was a big hit with the ladies and that many women didn't think much of Dalts. But then according to the posters on this site, no one thought much of the Dalts full stop.

The classicly handsome was the perfect and safe way to bring in and satisfy lots of female viewers... and then you pick Craig, and all the huge female fanbase is over-the-moon with the result. I remember when I was in high-school when CR was released - not a single girl was saying either Brosnan or Craig were ugly... they were divided between the classicly handsome PB and the rugged and masculine DC.

IMO both Brosnan's and Craig's casting were made primarly to satisfy the female audience that Babs oh-so cherish.
    It would be a fool I guess who did not take the female audience into consideration.
    We are witnessing the major historic change of the franchise - the female audience is becoming the primary target audience of the films... Babs is in the process of infusing all her pro-feminist opinions in the franchise.... starting with the appalling 2011 Women's day advert.
    So, you are saying, that Daltin tanked, because the male base was not enough to support him? Probably true, as it takes more then just the boys to make a film and I mean film period - successful. If you want a successful film, you have to make it appealing to both genders these days. Get a man, both like and you are fine - if one can't achive that, you get Dalton. I think, Brosnan was probably more polular with the girls, but since he - at least - looked like people imagined Bond at the time, boys accepted him as well.

DC was a high risk at the time and even Babs had no chance of knowing the outcome. He was the first, who didn't really look the part, so he could have sucked big time. But - oh wonder - he transformed on screen and brought Bond to life. Still - it could have gone all wrong - so saying, her plan was to get the fmales and bring in her feminist opinions, is more then just plein wrong. Re 2011 womens day advert - blame it on DC. It was HIS idea.
    Germanlady wrote:
    so saying, her plan was to get the fmales and bring in her feminist opinions, is more then just plein wrong.

No, it is 100% true. Babs knew that the hardcore male fans/casual fans would not accept DC right away due to his looks, but the female audience, now the main targetted audience by pro-feminist Babs, would evidently fall instantly in love with Craig as Bond. After pretty-boy Brosnan, it was rugged and masculine ( but still handsome) Craig. Even if it was uncertain that the male audience would accept Craig who did not look exactly like Bond, the female couldn't care less - after Brosnan they wanted another sexy actor, and they were served with Craig. The female Bond fans are less picky than the male fans - all they want is a handsome, attractive actor... while the picky male fans keep discussing stubbles, beards, sunglasses, watches, suits, ties on online discussion forums.
    Germanlady wrote:
    so saying, her plan was to get the fmales and bring in her feminist opinions, is more then just plein wrong.

No, it is 100% true. Babs knew that the hardcore male fans/casual fans would not accept DC right away due to his looks, but the female audience, now the main targetted audience by pro-feminist Babs, would evidently fall instantly in love with Craig as Bond. After pretty-boy Brosnan, it was rugged and masculine ( but still handsome) Craig. Even if it was uncertain that the male audience would accept Craig who did not look exactly like Bond, the female couldn't care less - after Brosnan they wanted another sexy actor, and they were served with Craig. The female Bond fans are less picky than the male fans - all they want is a handsome, attractive actor... while the picky male fans keep discussing stubbles, beards, sunglasses, watches, suits, ties on online discussion forums.

If you - for once - would also answer to the other 90% of my posts, we might actually have a conversation.

Nobody could know, the world would fall in love with DC - like I said. This alone calls your argument ad absurdum.
    IMO Dalton tanked because 1) it was an abrupt change of style after 12 years and 7 films with Sir Rog 2) even though Dalton was approached first, the entire general public felt the role was Pierce's, and were gutted when he wasn't cast, 3) the 007 box office was in steady decline since 1981, 4) Dalton wasn't popular like Moore or Brosnan, 5) Bond was handling it's biggest competition with Die Hard, Rambo, and releasing LTK in the summer didn't help at all.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Nobody could know, the world would fall in love with DC - like I said. This alone calls your argument ad absurdum.

Once again you're mistaken - Babs knew very well that Craig would be hugely popular for the female audience once the first pictures of him as Bond would arrive. The female audience was already won for DC from day one - fact. It was the male audience that was the uncertainty.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 6,601
    2) he hardly got the hate like DC for being cast - so, this is no argument for his failure
    4) DC wasn't popular at all, because nobody knew him - no argument.
    3) Dunno about that
    1) True but the same gos for CR
    5) Don't know the competition CR has had

Once again - Babs has no crystal ball and there was no way of knowing. Just because she liked him doesn't mean the rest of the female world would. There still are and always will be people, who call him ugly...IF he really won us over from day one - good for her - but that was AFTER she decided on just whatever to cast him and defend him against all the naysayers.
    So - what you are saying is - I want to go for the females to bring in my feminist wet dreams and decide to go against what worked so well until that point - model pretty Brosnan? Yeah - sure..
    I'm fairly certain that appealing to the female audience has been a basic requirement for all the Bond actors.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Getafix wrote:
    I'm fairly certain that appealing to the female audience has been a basic requirement for all the Bond actors.

True, but what he says is - that DC was chosen, because with him, Babs just KNEW, she would have the female world at her feet - to feed them all her feminist dreams. THIS is what doesn't ring true or makes even sense. He of all Bond actors could have gone all wrong...she decided on Layer Cake, where little action was required, a film that didn't prove his ability to attract women, because not many saw it at that time. She wasn't the one, who ordered him to bulk up (that was DC's choice), which proved to be a huge part of his attraction in the end...so - I repeat - she hoped he would do fine, but by no means was there any certainty, he would be that hugely popular after that film - too many ???

Just repeating that to knock out the argument, that DC was chosen because he was a sure in with the females.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

True, but what he says is - that DC was chosen, because with him, Babs just KNEW, she would have the female world at her feet - to feed them all her feminist dreams. THIS is what doesn't ring true or makes even sense. He of all Bond actors could have gone all wrong...she decided on Layer Cake, where little action was required, a film that didn't prove his ability to attract women, because not many saw it at that time. She wasn't the one, who ordered him to bulk up (that was DC's choice), which proved to be a huge part of his attraction in the end...so - I repeat - she hoped he would do fine, but by no means was there any certainty, he would be that hugely popular after that film - too many ???

Just repeating that to knock out the argument, that DC was chosen because he was a sure in with the females.

I agree. I think Babs made a bold decision with Craig. She had absolutely no guarantee the ladies would like him. He's hardly obvious eye-candy is he...? As it is, it paid off, but as you say, with all the negative press he got about his looks, it was far from certain that this would be the case.
    Getafix wrote:

but the female audience is getting more and more important, and will soon be, if not already, the main targetted audience.

Getafix wrote:

but the female audience is getting more and more important, and will soon be, if not already, the main targetted audience.

It's true. But I don't fully understand your argument. I think a Bond actor who is appealing to the opposite sex is a basic requirement. As for the feminist stuff, this may or may not be on Bab's agenda, but I don't think 'feminism' is actually what gets female posteriors on seats.
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

It's true. But I don't fully understand your argument. I think a Bond actor who is appealing to the opposite sex is a basic requirement. As for the feminist stuff, this may or may not be on Bab's agenda, but I don't think 'feminism' is actually what gets female posteriors on seats.

My argument is that it was the male audience that was the uncertainty with Craig. DC didn't look exactly like Bond, so the very picky male audience could possible not be convinced... while the female audience is much less picky, and just want a sexy actor... whether Bond has a beard, blond hair, brown eyes or whatever, the female audience doesn't care, as long as the actor is sexy and handsome and attractive.... while the male audience will discuss for weeks whether or not he looks like Fleming's Bond, about the blond hair, whether Bond should wear a beard or not, if he looks good in a suit.....

for male audience, the Bond actor must look like movie Bond/Fleming Bond. For the female audience, Bond should be sexy/attractive. As Craig did not look like Bond at first sight, it's evident DC was chosen mainly to sexually please the female audience.
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

My argument is that it was the male audience that was the uncertainty with Craig. DC didn't look exactly like Bond, so the very picky male audience could possible not be convinced... while the female audience is much less picky, and just want a sexy actor... whether Bond has a beard, blond hair, brown eyes or whatever, the female audience doesn't care, as long as the actor is sexy and handsome and attractive.... while the male audience will discuss for weeks whether or not he looks like Fleming's Bond, about the blond hair, whether Bond should wear a beard or not, if he looks good in a suit.....

for male audience, the Bond actor must look like movie Bond/Fleming Bond. For the female audience, Bond should be sexy/attractive. As Craig did not look like Bond at first sight, it's evident DC was chosen mainly to sexually please the female audience.

Most men look good in the right suit, and I don't know many blokes who spend a lot of time talking about it. I don't personally know many guys who were particularly concerned by the colour of DC's hair either...
    Getafix wrote:

You are not even answering with sense to an easy post like this. Its like we are talking vegiies and your are answering with meat. Not working really. I stop at this point...its annoying...
    Getafix wrote:
    Most men look good in the right suit, and I don't know many blokes who spend a lot of time talking about it. I don't personally know many guys who were particularly concerned by the colour of DC's hair either...

Were you a member of MI6Forums in 2005 ? Craig's looks and blond hair was a hot topic for weeks after he was cast.
    Germanlady wrote:
    You are not even answering with sense to an easy post like this. Its like we are talking vegiies and your are answering with meat. Not working really. I stop at this point...its annoying...

eh ? I did answer... look a few posts up. not my fault you disregard any opinion/argument you don't like.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote:

Were you a member of MI6Forums in 2005 ? Craig's looks and blond hair was a hot topic for weeks after he was cast.

I wasn't, no. But if that's the case, it's pretty tragic. Even by the standards of a Bond forum! My primary concern would always be whether the guy can act and whether he can carry the role. It's probably why I never liked Brosnan but was always willing to give DC a chance.
    I don't know about you, but in the school I was in when DC was cast, the girls were split between 'he's ugly' and 'he's so sexy', while the boys were only talking about 'James Blond ??' and 'he doesn't look like Bond !'

So it really seems, from my experience at least, that males care more about whether or not he looks like Bond/Fleming's Bond, while the females couldn't care less about whether or not he fits the Bond mould, and only want an attractive/good looking actor. It seems to me that females are much less preoccupied with hair colour, eyes colour, beard or not beard and stuff like that...
    I don't know about you, but in the school I was in when DC was cast, the girls were split between 'he's ugly' and 'he's so sexy', while the boys were only talking about 'James Blond ??' and 'he doesn't look like Bond !'

So it really seems, from my experience at least, that males care more about whether or not he looks like Bond/Fleming's Bond, while the females couldn't care less about whether or not he fits the Bond mould, and only want an attractive/good looking actor. It seems to me that females are much less preoccupied with hair colour, eyes colour, beard or not beard and stuff like that...

That's a first for me!
    Well IMO if I were a woman, I'd probably care more about whether or not I find him attractive, and not 'does he look like Fleming's Bond ? should he have blond hair ? should he have a beard ?'
    Well IMO if I were a woman, I'd probably care more about whether or not I find him attractive, and not 'does he look like Fleming's Bond ? should he have blond hair ? should he have a beard ?'

Are these not two sides of the same coin...?
    Getafix wrote:

Not at all. Me as a male I'm concerned whether or not Bond should ever wear a beard/have blond hair, and the Fleming's Bond look. While as a female I'd be concerned whether or not he is attractive. For them : beard or no beard is 'do I find men with beard attractive or not ?'. For men : 'A beard does not fit the Bond look ! Bond would never wear a beard'. For women it's attractiveness, for men it's looking like a proper James Bond.

When picking an actor, women don't care whether or not he looks like Fleming's intentions or not. All they care about is whether or not they'd want to date him.

Craig's hair didn't cause an uproar in the female audience because Fleming's Bond had brown hair. IMO most people who criticized his hair were men.
    Getafix wrote:

Not at all. Me as a male I'm concerned whether or not Bond should ever wear a beard/have blond hair, and the Fleming's Bond look. While as a female I'd be concerned whether or not he is attractive. For them : beard or no beard is 'do I find men with beard attractive or not ?'. For men : 'A beard does not fit the Bond look ! Bond would never wear a beard'. For women it's attractiveness, for men it's looking like a proper James Bond.

When picking an actor, women don't care whether or not he looks like Fleming's intentions or not. All they care about is whether or not they'd want to date him.

Craig's hair didn't cause an uproar in the female audience because Fleming's Bond had brown hair. IMO most people who criticized his hair were men.

Men with something against blond men? Not a huge part of the demographic, I imagine...
    Getafix wrote:
    Men with something against blond men? Not a huge part of the demographic, I imagine...

Men who think James Bond should never have blond hair because Fleming's Bond wasn't blond. Only men care about Fleming's Bond looks... IMO of course.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote:

Men who think James Bond should never have blond hair because Fleming's Bond wasn't blond. Only men care about Fleming's Bond looks... IMO of course.

It's funny how Fleming originally though Connery was completely wrong for the part - no doubt partly due to his look. He eventually realised the error of his view. That basic error from the great creator should have been a lesson to all of us - wait until you've seen the movie before judging the actor.