Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig?

Comments

Just a quick question about Daniel Craig....would he suit other Bond films? what I mean is, I can't ever imagine him in a Moonraker-esque film...but could see him in FYEO, OP, TLD

He would stamp on the comedy in those films I think. He'd refuse to do it.
    Just a quick question about Daniel Craig....would he suit other Bond films? what I mean is, I can't ever imagine him in a Moonraker-esque film...but could see him in FYEO, OP, TLD

He would stamp on the comedy in those films I think. He'd refuse to do it.
  • definatly both are great enough in and at their respective time but but but............craig
    is the one which doesnt try mimic the previous bonds ., he has its own bond characteristics in addition to the qualities required bye the makers and viewers. so its craig and craig,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    You think Dalts mimiced his predecessors?
    I like all bond the Carecters but i wiil give my speacial vote for Pierce Brosnan
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    You think Dalts mimiced his predecessors?
    That is a boldly incorrect assessment, I agree @Getafix. After Roger's era Tim was as far from that Bond as you could ever imagine.
    Daniel has gained my respect and admiration, as Sir Sean Connery mentioned, he brings the "danger" element back - and this is true. Both are incredible actors, very versatile, but as a Bond fan from the novels as well, Timothy Dalton is the perfect bond as Ian created, and you can feel the typical original character's uneasiness in his eyes... for me, Dalton is the best bond ever.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    lufelesi wrote:
    Daniel has gained my respect and admiration, as Sir Sean Connery mentioned, he brings the "danger" element back - and this is true. Both are incredible actors, very versatile, but as a Bond fan from the novels as well, Timothy Dalton is the perfect bond as Ian created, and you can feel the typical original character's uneasiness in his eyes... for me, Dalton is the best bond ever.

Dalton is very literary Bond. You see the pain in his eyes and when he fights he is formidable but he is also vulnerable and can get his arse kicked. That humanity is what I love to see, and why I respect Tim for playing Bond like he did, and doing justice to Ian. At the end of it all I think "Dad" would've been very proud of Tim.
    lufelesi wrote:

Welcome to the 'Dalton is best James Bond ever' camp, you'll be a welcome addition to the pages with a mentality like that. We're a select few around here but well said and all. Craig is a good Bond and still has something to offer but he can't compare as of yet to Dalton or Connery (1962-65) even. Maybe one day but he still has work to do

I think Dan will blow everyone away come Skyfall.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think Dan will be great in Skyfall for sure. As for older films, they are of their time, but just for fun I could see Dan in FYEO, TSWLM, OHMSS, FRWL, and OP.
    BAIN123 wrote:

When was this? He still should have been Bond based on his looks. The biggest shame of all time was letting PB go to early from the Bond role.
    I don't think, they made him go based on his looks. They just knew, they couldn't go on with the kind of Bond films, he stood for (not entirely his fault) and to change that, they needed a new actor. As simple as that.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Germanlady wrote:
    I don't think, they made him go based on his looks. They just knew, they couldn't go on with the kind of Bond films, he stood for (not entirely his fault) and to change that, they needed a new actor. As simple as that.

In the "Becoming Bond" featurette, the EON party line was that Pierce was too old for "retro" Bond. So if not on looks, then on age, and they sort of go hand in hand. Whether anyone thinks Pierce still looked young enough, and Pierce certainly thought he did, EON didn't agree and so the change was made.

The difference I see is, that had DAD been another film and they could just have made the next as a continuation to Pierce Bond, he would have done it. So - it wasn't "He is too old" period, but he is fine, just to old to be reboot Bond and also - it would have been ridiculous to use the same actor for that. He could have been 30 and they would have to change him.

What I am saying is - he wasn't too old for Bond, he just was too old for CR.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Daniel Craig was also too old for CR... if they really wanted to do the whole 'first mission' thing, they should have chosen an actor in his late 20's.

Either EON should not have cast Craig, or they should not have turn CR into Bond's debut mission. As the film stands now it's a complete mess.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Daniel Craig was also too old for CR... if they really wanted to do the whole 'first mission' thing, they should have chosen an actor in his late 20's.

Either EON should not have cast Craig, or they should not have turn CR into Bond's debut mission. As the film stands now it's a complete mess.

I like CR but I agree. They could've just not used gadgets and made it more realistic, they really didn't need to reboot it and make it Bond's first mission.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Germanlady wrote:
    The difference I see is, that had DAD been another film and they could just have made the next as a continuation to Pierce Bond, he would have done it. So - it wasn't "He is too old" period, but he is fine, just to old to be reboot Bond and also - it would have been ridiculous to use the same actor for that. He could have been 30 and they would have to change him.

What I am saying is - he wasn't too old for Bond, he just was too old for CR.

Exactly, too old for CR but not too old for another regular installment.

@ DC- How is CR a mess based on age?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @ DC- How is CR a mess based on age?

Connery was 31 in DN, and we are led to believe he was a 00 for several years prior to the film.... so I don't find credible at all that Craig would become a 00 at age 38.... Craig even looks 'old' ( as in world-weariness), so that makes me believe the Craig-is-a-new-00 even less.

Well, I'd say, producers LOVE this kind of mess and try to create it over and over :))
    Germanlady wrote:

Well, I'd say, producers LOVE this kind of mess and try to create it over and over :))

I don't think CR is a mess but I definetly see where he's coming from. I like CR but there was no need to make it Bond's first mission.
    I think Dan will blow everyone away come Skyfall.

I hope he will, I'm looking forward to Skyfall, but I doubt he'll be better than Dalton.
    I find these discussions about DC being 'too old' laughable. I suspect EON were more than happy to be shot of Brosnan after DUD. Despite the high production values in his films, they just felt increasingly cheap and shoddy. Brosnan takes a lot of the blame for this - he just doesn't have sufficient screen presence to carry a movie. As I've said before, he's done some decent movies (usually in a supporting or secondary role) but he is not someone who carries a film. Sorry to all those Brozza fans out there, but this has been glaringly obvious from his first appearance in GE.

As for DC, he looks the part, can carry a movie and has a nice sense of danger about him. I don't personally feel that he's come close to Sean, Tim or even Rog as of yet, but he's solid and I like him. Even if the movies continue on their current trajectory (good but not excellent) I'm happy to see him stay.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    As I've said before, he's done some decent movies (usually in a supporting or secondary role) but he is not someone who carries a film. Sorry to all those Brozza fans out there, but this has been glaringly obvious from his first appearance in GE.

No that's Dalton. When was the last time you saw him in a lead role? He's ALWAYS in secondary roles - even before he was Bond he was getting billed behind the likes of Peter O' Toole and Katherine Hepburn.

Brozza on the other hand

The Greatest.

Starring Pierce Brosnan and Susan Sarandon

Dantes Peak

Starring: Pierce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton

The Thomas Crown Affair

Starring: Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo.

Seraphim Falls

Starring: Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson

The Tailor of Panoma

Starring Pierce Brosnan and Geoffrey Rush

After The Sunset

Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Selma Hayak, Woody Harrelson etch

The Matador

Starring Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear

I'll agree Dalton is physically very impressive (more so than Brosnan) but if he was THAT electrifying personality wise he'd star in more than just as some side character in a crappy Loony Tunes film. I've said this before too - Dalton's a good actor but his manner is too stagey. Brozza is an out and out movie star. The camera loves him. He knows how to work it and turn on the charm.

Pierce has been seen far more onscreen than Dalton both during his time as Bond and afterwards. Thats a fact. Its nothing to do with physical presence and everything to do with charisma, charm and entertainment value.

I'm not trying to sound like some Brosnan fan-boy but you can't argue the facts. Dalton is rarely, if ever, in a lead role. That must tell you something.

If Dalton can carry a film as much as you say he can why haven't we seen more of him?
    Because Dalton isn't focused on films the way Brosnan is?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    As I've said before, he's done some decent movies (usually in a supporting or secondary role) but he is not someone who carries a film. Sorry to all those Brozza fans out there, but this has been glaringly obvious from his first appearance in GE.

No that's Dalton. When was the last time you saw him in a lead role? He's ALWAYS in secondary roles - even before he was Bond he was getting billed behind the likes of Peter O' Toole and Katherine Hepburn.

Brozza on the other hand

The Greatest.

Starring Pierce Brosnan and Susan Sarandon

Dantes Peak

Starring: Pierce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton

The Thomas Crown Affair

Starring: Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo.

Seraphim Falls

Starring: Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson

The Tailor of Panoma

Starring Pierce Brosnan and Geoffrey Rush

After The Sunset

Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Selma Hayak, Woody Harrelson etch

The Matador

Starring Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear

I'll agree Dalton is physically very impressive (more so than Brosnan) but if he was THAT electrifying personality wise he'd star in more than just as some side character in a crappy Loony Tunes film. I've said this before too - Dalton's a good actor but his manner is too stagey. Brozza is an out and out movie star. The camera loves him. He knows how to work it and turn on the charm.

Pierce has been seen far more onscreen than Dalton both during his time as Bond and afterwards. Thats a fact. Its nothing to do with physical presence and everything to do with charisma, charm and entertainment value.

I'm not trying to sound like some Brosnan fan-boy but you can't argue the facts. Dalton is rarely, if ever, in a lead role. That must tell you something.

If Dalton can carry a film as much as you say he can why haven't we seen more of him?

Bain, you make an impressive defence of the Bros, but I simply don't accept the argument that because someone appears in a lot of movies means that they're good. I could reel of a huge list of Hollywood 'stars' who look the part but who I think are actually pretty weak. People like Richard Gere, Kevin Costner, or even Tom Cruise. I don't personally rate any of those guys that highly (they are, btw, all still better than Brozza), and yet they've had massive box-office and are considered obvious leading men. IMO, classic, charismatic leading men are pretty rare these days. Russell Crowe IMO has that indefinable screen presence and used to be a very good actor before he went utterly insane. Any way, Sean, Roger and (IMO) Dalts are all actors who hold the camera and fill the screen. DC in not bad either. As much as I want to be generous to the Broz, he never looks like anything more than an Austin Reed model on screen - all preening good-looks, but no acting chops or, frankly, very much charm (smarm, more like).

Watch the PTS of TLD and compare it to Brozza's first appearance in GE. Dalton works the camera like a pro. Brozza just looks like some bloke moving around on a sound stage.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I'm not saying Broz is a particularly great actor. He's not. I'm sure even Broz would admit that BUT he does have a charm about him. He wouldn't have got as far as he has if he didnt. I for one enjoy watching him -smarm and all. I say that NOT as a horny middle aged woman.

Regarding Dalton. A gifted actor certainly but he lacks the raw, 'chizzled' quality of stars like Connery, Crowe, Pachino, De Niro, Ford, Craig etc and the 'pin up' looks of Efron, Pattinson, Cruise and yes Brosnan.

Thats why he's never caught on as a star. He's too highbrow and far more comfortable on the stage or a tv drama.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    I'm not saying Broz is a particularly great actor. He's not. I'm sure even Broz would admit that BUT he does have a charm about him. He wouldn't have got as far as he has if he didnt. I for one enjoy watching him -smarm and all. I say that NOT as a horny middle aged woman.

Regarding Dalton. A gifted actor certainly but he lacks the rawness, 'chizzled' quality of stars like Connery, Crowe, Pachino, De Niro, Ford, Craig etc and the 'pin up' looks of Efron, Pattinson, Cruise and yes Brosnan.

Thats why he's never caught on as a star. He's too highbrow and far more comfortable on the stage or a tv drama.

:)) That was great Bain!
    Let's face it, we could discuss it for eons, Craig is now Bond, for the younger generation and it all comes down to money ... studios at times, keep the story close to the book, but over a period of time, that can fade and it still comes down to the bottom line $ $ $.
    Our opinions count and is a small version of what the population reflects on the characters & movies and as I said once before, they cannot be compared, it is the person you like better or has shown themselves as a good actor ~ other than as a Bond character. I've liked all the stars playing Bond for their era. For now I cannot wait to see the new flix later in the year. Then we'll have something more to discuss.
    Have a great day.
    . I say that NOT as a horny middle aged woman.

So you are a satisfied middle aged woman?

• edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Haha. No, I am a sad twenty-something male.

Seriously @Germanlady. As one of the few women on this site who do u find more appealing and engaging as a lead? Dalton or Brosnan?