The Bottom Three

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Chang wrote:
    DAD at least had a bounce to it. Pace was a quicker and the movie knew it was campy. Goldeneye is dreadfully boring. The computer guy Boris from GE is equally as dumb as Gustav Graves yet Goldeneye took itself more seriously. I can't get into any of those four films, but DAD had the most visuals (ice hotel is cooler than the tank chase) so I go with that one at 20.
    Hmm. Okay, thanks for sharing.

GE, TWINE and DAD
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Chang wrote:
    DAD at least had a bounce to it. Pace was a quicker and the movie knew it was campy. Goldeneye is dreadfully boring. The computer guy Boris from GE is equally as dumb as Gustav Graves yet Goldeneye took itself more seriously. I can't get into any of those four films, but DAD had the most visuals (ice hotel is cooler than the tank chase) so I go with that one at 20.

Although the Brosnan era is not the greatest to rank DAD the best of his films is fairly ludicrous and to say that GE is the worst Bond film of all time is insane.

• AliAli
    I now have a mental picture of Pierce and Gustav Braves bouncing round the ice hotel. It would have made a great scene.... :D
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    AVTAK, DAD, TMWTGG
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    In no particular order:

TMWTGG - Despite the excellent Christopher Lee and some good scenes I find the film clunky and over-reliant on silly comedy to the point where it gets embarrassing (two girls fighting off a group of ninja's is not something that works in a Bond film).
    DAF - again some excellent dialogue and a few good moments here and there but sluggish in terms of pacing and all but lacking in real tension.
    DAD - Once again some good scenes in the first half but once the film gets to Iceland it becomes virtually unwatchable. Piss poor Halle Berry, Mr Kil (urgh!)d truely atrocious speciall effects.

There are some other films I rank fairly near the bottom - especially since some more recent viewings - including AVTAK, QoS, TWINE, MR and TND but these (I feel) have a few more redeeming qualities about them.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    AVTAK
    MR
    DAD
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 32
    QUANTUM OF SOLACE - I have no idea what's going on in that movie, the editing is atrocious, Craig gets my vote for worst Bond performance in a movie. It feels really Micheal Bay-ish.

MOONRAKER - No brainer, silly, cartoonish, absurdly ostentatious, and BORING! (I wouldn't mind the film so much if it wasn't just so BORING).

OCTOPUSSY - James Bond in a clown suit... do I really need to say anything else?
    OCTOPUSSY.

Wow, one Tarzan yell & the whole movie is worthless?? 8-|
  • Clown suit
    Clown suit

That was a bit of dramatic brilliance IMO. Yes sir, I said BRILLIANCE.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    But all would be forgiven if he juggled balls while on a unicycle, right?
    I find OP a solid little gem of a movie having seen it again a couple of weeks ago. Yes there's some silly bits (the tennis gags, the Tarzan yell and the gorilla suit, which I still don't understand how Bond got out of) but overall I consider it an exotic, lively and suprisingly suspensful entry in the series. 
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    21. The Man With The Golden Gun
    22. The Spy Who Loved Me
    23. Die Another Day

I suppose this says how much more I like the other lesser films - You Only Live Twice, Moonraker - to The Spy Who Loved Me than anything else. I know, a very out there choice.
    Why so much dislike for TSWLM @Samuel?
    Many reasons but it comes off as parody to me and for all the love Moore gets, I don't like his performance, so smug. Bigger and better may have been the plan but to me, it's dumb and not fun. So far removed from From Russia With Love, almost like a child's film. Of course, yes I prefer Moonraker to it. Not a popular opinion either!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote:
    Clown suit

That was a bit of dramatic brilliance IMO. Yes sir, I said BRILLIANCE.

Well said. There's only one clown around here lordofthejimmy.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I think Moore is "Moore" smug in Moonraker to be honest and I really feel that the whole "childs film" argument can be applied more to Moonraker than it can to Spy. Have you seen Calvin Dyson's review when he compares the boat chase in Rio to Loony Tunes?
  • OCTOPUSSY - First of all, I'm not a Roger Moore fan, let's get that out of the way. And by OCTOPUSSY, his age is becoming very apparent. He should have ended it with FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. The plot is very hard to follow, and the action scenes just feel tired (with the exception of the opening plane stunt). In fact, a good portion of the movie feels like RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK... kinda weird, considering RAIDERS was based off of Bond. The bad guys are very bland. Octopussy: cute name, ineffective Bond girl and badly written. There's too many silly moments to mention. But as soon as I see Roger Moore in a clown suit, I’m done!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think Moore is "Moore" smug in Moonraker to be honest and I really feel that the whole "childs film" argument can be applied more to Moonraker than it can to Spy. Have you seen Calvin Dyson's review of when he compares the boat chase in Rio to Loony Tunes?

I suppose Moonraker for me has a far better villain, great sets, locations and an amazing score. That is what puts in above The Spy Who Loved Me. I do realise very few, but there are some, agree with me.
    I do take your point to an extent but I just consider Spy to be a more "grounded" adventure. Like MR it too has some great sets, locations and photography (I love the inside of Stromberg's lair with the big fish-tank).I suppose Spy marked the point when Moore REALLY started to look clunky in the fight scenes (his fight on the roof with the bald goon is laughable). As I've said before I also find Barbara Bach wooden but these are relitively minor. Moore carries the film well and it doesn't go as far into parody as MR does (IMO).  
    TMWTGG is better than the both of them.
    chrisisall wrote:
    With all due respect I disagee ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    With all due respect I disagee ;)
    Well, okay, not better... just... less outlandish.
    DAD, TLD, ATAK
    Quantum07 wrote:
    TLD
    You mean a different film, right? Not The Living Daylights, one of the BEST Bond movies, hah hah, wow, I caught that mistake for you so you could change it quick! No need to thank me.
    AVTAK, DAD, QOS

AVTAK = Moore was far too old, and thus he was not believable in the role

DAD = First half of film was ok, but then it went a bit pear shaped

QOS = an unbelievably bad film, next to nothing story, little character development,
    poor direction..................but the thing that ruined it for most was the absymal editing making the film a chore to watch! A huge waste of $200 million + :(
    chrisisall wrote:
    Quantum07 wrote:
    TLD
    You mean a different film, right? Not The Living Daylights, one of the BEST Bond movies, hah hah, wow, I caught that mistake for you so you could change it quick! No need to thank me.

;)

• Quantum07 wrote:
    TLD

Ah, it's a typo right? Yeah although I love Brosnan and Michelle is pretty cool, I'm not much for TND either :P
    Quantum07 wrote:
    TLD

Ah, it's a typo right? Yeah although I love Brosnan and Michelle is pretty cool, I'm not much for TND either :P

haha omg! I can't believe I didn't catch that at first. Thanks so much, let me correct it:

IMHO TLD

much better! ;)