The Bottom Three

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I have seen people say that they have Dr. No in their bottom three, but you don't see me having a fit of it.

Dr. No at the BOTTOM??? That level of daft should be illegal.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2013 Posts: 17,804
    Bottom three are:

21. Diamonds Are Forever
    22. You Only Live Twice
    23. Die Another Day
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    21. MR
    22. DAF

23. DAD. Seriously, this movie is balls. Notice how my bottom three are all OTT sci-fi movies? That for the most part seems to be a theme here, as is the usual Brozza bashing.
  • 22. Moonraker
    23. Octopussy
    24. A View To A Kill

NB. I ranked these when watching them all in October...it was simply more Roger Moore than I could take in such a short period, so I am sure I have been too hard on Octopussy, as I know that film is generally reasonably well respected. (NSNA is at 21.)
    21- MR
    22- DAD
    23- QOS
  • Moonraker, Die Another Day, Diamonds Are Forever
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2013 Posts: 9,117
    22. Moonraker
    23. Octopussy
    24. A View To A Kill

NB. I ranked these when watching them all in October...it was simply more Roger Moore than I could take in such a short period, so I am sure I have been too hard on Octopussy, as I know that film is generally reasonably well respected. (NSNA is at 21.)

Not sure how anyone can really have too much Roger Moore but you'll feel a fool when youve recovered from your Rog hangover as NSNA is a lot worse than any of those.

The big question is is NSNA worse than DAD? I'm not sure. Youve got Sean back and in better nick than DAF and I think Klaus is a class villain - leagues ahead of Celi's Largo and up there with Walken and Berkoff in the mentalist, hamming it up, scenery chewing stakes. Also, good as the Pikelet is with dismal material, shes not as good as Fatima.
    DAD does thrash NSNA with the score (not Arnolds best but then it doesnt have to be to win here), action (PTS and car chase on ice do enough despite the dismalness of the CGI shit) and in fairness to Brozza he puts in a bloody good shift in trying circumstances.

Its too close to call to be honest. At least NSNA doesnt make a mockery of the series or the character at any point.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    22. Moonraker
    23. Octopussy
    24. A View To A Kill

Not sure how anyone can really have too much Roger Moore but you'll feel a fool when youve recovered from your Rog hangover as NSNA is a lot worse than any of those.

I must admit AVTAK is quite poor despite some good scenes and Christopher Walken. Watching Rog bed Grace Jones was unpleasent for both him and the audience (i'm sure Grace Jones is a nice lady but her and Rog just don't go). Similarly Rog snogging George Best's former model girlfriend must have been great for him but toe-curling for the rest of us:

"Call me James it's...five days 'till Alaska" :-& Its like a dad seducing one of his daughters friends. Not too disilmilar to how Connery acted in NSNA

I would put View above a handful of other films though and take it over NSNA anyday.
    My bottom three shall and will always consist of:

21. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    22. You Only Live Twice
    23. Goldfinger
  • 00Beast wrote:

22. You Only Live Twice
    23. Goldfinger

And my opinion will always be DAD, MR, and your generally blasphemous taste in Bond films ;)

edited January 2013 Posts: 9,117
    00Beast wrote:

22. You Only Live Twice
    23. Goldfinger

How very sad for you. Don't be depressed though I'm sure your mother loves you.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,494
    00Beast wrote:

22. You Only Live Twice
    23. Goldfinger

Haha, I prefer to call it all the misguided ramblings of a young man who hasn't discovered true greatness in Bond, I can understand these 3 not being to everyone's taste to a certain reasonable degree, but to rank the likes of MR or DAD higher shows all the lack of Bond maturity and general savvy I have often reminded him of :))
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    00Beast wrote:

22. You Only Live Twice
    23. Goldfinger

I think GF is overrated but I don't think it deserves to be that low. Honestly don't get why you hate OHMSS and YOLT, they're two of my favourites.
    00Beast wrote:
    My bottom three shall and will always consist of:21. On Her Majesty's Secret Service22. You Only Live Twice23. Goldfinger
    #I'm not saying these films don't have their problems but, as @livingroyale says, they don't deserve to be at the bottom.Maybe in time that will change.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    OPINIONS, people. They're called opinions.
    00Beast wrote:
    My bottom three shall and will always consist of:21. On Her Majesty's Secret Service22. You Only Live Twice23. Goldfinger
    #I'm not saying these films don't have their problems but, as @livingroyale says, they don't deserve to be at the bottom.Maybe in time that will change. I say this as one of the younger fans.
    Double post
  • Someone hit the post button a few times too many.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Why put any '60s Bond films in your bottom three when you have the '70s and '90s from which to choose?
    echo wrote:
    Why put any '60s Bond films in your bottom three when you have the '70s and '90s from which to choose?

The '70s and '90s have greater Bond movies than the '60s, which has some of the worst, in my opinion.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    #I'm not saying these films don't have their problems but, as @livingroyale says, they don't deserve to be at the bottom.Maybe in time that will change.

Actually they do deserve to be at the bottom. They're not entertaining, they don't really have that Bond Edge for me, and they're exceptionally over-rated. I find that just cause enough for me to throw them at the bottom.
    00Beast wrote:

22. You Only Live Twice
    23. Goldfinger

Haha, I prefer to call it all the misguided ramblings of a young man who hasn't discovered true greatness in Bond, I can understand these 3 not being to everyone's taste to a certain reasonable degree, but to rank the likes of MR or DAD higher shows all the lack of Bond maturity and general savvy I have often reminded him of :))

Yet you consistently fail in any efforts to sway my opinion!
  • OPINIONS, people. They're called opinions.

I know and he's entitled to that of course, I'm just not sure why those 3 would be ranked so low. GF is a bit boring but there's still plenty to like and I think OHMSS and YOLT are classics.

Indeed. Doesn't make what he's saying any less risible though does it?
    OPINIONS, people.  They're called opinions. 
    Indeed. Doesn't make what he's saying any less risible though does it?
    There's opinion and then there's fact. It's a fact that GF, YOLT and OHMSS are better than bottom ;)

I know and he's entitled to that of course, I'm just not sure why those 3 would be ranked so low. GF is a bit boring but there's still plenty to like and I think OHMSS and YOLT are classics.

Goldfinger: dull, snail's-pace slow, drab location work, annoying soundtrack, awful main girl, bothersome main villain, and little action to satisfy

You Only Live Twice: dull, excruciatingly slow, horrible soundtrack, garbage-worthy performance by Connery, and very lame villains (except for Blofeld)

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: slowest pace of any Bond movie, irritating soundtrack (except for the theme music, but that's it), annoying main girl, lackluster location work, little action during the middle of the movie, and a pitiful performance by Lazenby

There are my reasons; take them or leave them, but that justifies my dislike for all three.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think OHMSS has far from lackluster location work. Piz Gloria is beautiful and so are the mountains around it. I also think some of the portugal scenery looks quite nice.

Goldfinger I can see where you're coming from as that is a bit of a step down from FRWL. We had Istanbul and Venice and then we get Bond trudging round Kentucky for most of the next film. We barely see Mexico at all and we don't see much of Miami either. Switzerland looked nice though.

I think you're one of the few people (or only person?) on this site who doesn't like a Barry soundtrack. And you don't like 3 of them! ;)

Saying that though, while they're great, I don't think any of these 3 are Barrys best. Nah, that's TLD imo.
    00Beast wrote:
    lackluster location work

Even though you're plainly wrong the rest I could put down to reasons of taste, personal preference etc but that remark marks you out as a complete idiot (and I'm not talking about your spelling of lacklustre here either).

OHMSS probably has the best location work of the series. Certainly top three at the very least.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,494
    00Beast wrote:
    echo wrote:

The '70s and '90s have greater Bond movies than the '60s, which has some of the worst, in my opinion.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Actually they do deserve to be at the bottom. They're not entertaining, they don't really have that Bond Edge for me, and they're exceptionally over-rated. I find that just cause enough for me to throw them at the bottom.
    00Beast wrote:

22. You Only Live Twice
    23. Goldfinger

Yet you consistently fail in any efforts to sway my opinion!

That doesn't mean I won't continually be "a jinx" to you and help you to see the light ;) Especially appalling is your thoughts on the magnificent soundtracks of John Barry, even the very tiny list of those who would agree with you that MR and DAD are better movies (which likely can be counted on two hands among the thousands here) would get even smaller when it comes to Barry and his music.

The Bond "edge", the superspy persona, and the Bond "sound" was fully invented in GF. Even those who don't care for the film respect it for that and so should you :)
    00Beast wrote:
    lackluster location work

Even though you're plainly wrong the rest I could put down to reasons of taste, personal preference etc but that remark marks you out as a complete idiot (and I'm not talking about your spelling of lacklustre here either).

OHMSS probably has the best location work of the series. Certainly top three at the very least.

I beg to differ! The PTS beach scene is all right for location work, but then you get those unexciting locales once Bond leaves that hotel and goes to Draco's hideout. Every locale from then to Piz Gloria is quite drab. And then, even Piz Gloria and the mountains gets tiring after a few minutes, so all things considered, OHMSS suffers visually for me.
    I think OHMSS has far from lackluster location work. Piz Gloria is beautiful and so are the mountains around it. I also think some of the portugal scenery looks quite nice.

Goldfinger I can see where you're coming from as that is a bit of a step down from FRWL. We had Istanbul and Venice and then we get Bond trudging round Kentucky for most of the next film. We barely see Mexico at all and we don't see much of Miami either. Switzerland looked nice though.

I think you're one of the few people (or only person?) on this site who doesn't like a Barry soundtrack. And you don't like 3 of them! ;)

Saying that though, while they're great, I don't think any of these 3 are Barrys best. Nah, that's TLD imo.

I don't dislike all Barry soundtracks. I really love his work on AVTAK, TLD, MR, FRWL, TB, and DAF.
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    lackluster location work
    Even though you're plainly wrong the rest I could put down to reasons of taste, personal preference etc but that remark marks you out as a complete idiot (and I'm not talking about your spelling of lacklustre here either).OHMSS probably has the best location work of the series. Certainly top three at the very least.
    I beg to differ! The PTS beach scene is all right for location work, but then you get those unexciting locales once Bond leaves that hotel and goes to Draco's hideout. Every locale from then to Piz Gloria is quite drab. And then, even Piz Gloria and the mountains gets tiring after a few minutes, so all things considered, OHMSS suffers visually for me.
    What about the shot of the three helicopters as they approach Piz Gloria for the dawn raid? Thats far from lacklustre
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 553
    Hey we're all different, but even after Skyfall OHMSS for me still has the most beautiful locations and cinematography of the entire series. It's very beauty is one of the reasons I rank it so highly. The score is also my favourite of the series.