SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Not strictly necessary my dear @4EverBonded, but I didn't know how many people knew that fact -I was probably the last one to know it but hey ho! - so I thought it was prudent to conceal it. The magic of cinema hey? :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Re your spoiler tag info: I don't even know that it is 100% true, @royale65. ;) Is it? Do we have somewhere, on some thread, actually verification of that? Because I want to read it.

Thunderfinger, you charmer. Hazelnut is your middle name. :D

OK - I found this rather by accident. Hope you all enjoy this. Maybe some have seen it ... I don't know. It's Léa Seydoux on how to be a Bond Girl. I really enjoyed this. Great nods to previous Bond films. Calling @CommanderRoss ...

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Thunderfinger, you charmer. Hazelnut is your middle name. :D

Right back at you.

latest?cb=20110528185354
    As I wave hello ... did you see me drop the care pkg for you? ;) (lots of goodies, including my special Thundy brew beer)
    I will save it for Christmas. Thanks.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I want to fly over to Japan to see it at YOUR theatre, 4Ever!!!
    I want to take that theater with me, wherever I live! It is like a movie star's private home theater, sort of. Such a wonderful surprise for me. As soon as I saw the lounge, which was separate, I knew it would be a big upgrade. And it was. :x
    Hope you all check out that Lea video above; it is clever and entertaining (and brief). Maybe not what you think ... (unless of course you've already seen it - I've been away for a bit ...)
    Ha ha, very cool.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 12,459
    bumping to this new page:

I liked her so much better in SPECTRE than I did in MI:4.
    I never saw MI4. I have not seen her in anything else, actually.
    I never saw MI4. I have not seen her in anything else, actually.
    I mean, she was GOOD in MI:4, just nothing more than another pretty bad girl. In SP she got a chance to ACT!

Birdleson wrote: »
    I have only previously seen her in BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOUR. She showed aspects of herself in that one that I seriously doubt we will ever see in a Bond film.

Ahh, getting it on with her lickity boo...
    ;;)
    I only saw her in MI:4 before SPECTRE.
    After seeing her in that green dress in the dining car I want to see more of her! :D :D :D
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    One of the biggest minus points about SPECTRE was that by giving Blofeld that scar they were referencing YOLT, and my second least favourite incarnation of the man. I had hoped that by introducing SPECTRE and Blofeld they would have gone with Fleming's Blofeld from Thunderball, no scar, no bald head, etc. Shame.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @4Ever what can I say.... thank you for that lovely bit of Lea. I understand i've quite a few films to catch up to.
    @Lancaster007 I thought that was ok, he himself does look different enough (and acts a lot better). I just didn't like the fact that he is captured and thus must break out in the next film. It was good enough if he'd vanished in the explosion. And they still had to take out C too. Oh well. Overall I did enjoy the film a lot.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,422
    Glad you enjoyed the film (and the brief Lea video), @CommanderRoss. I also had no problem with Blofeld having a scar, etc. I would probably have introduced him a bit differently, but I have no big complaints with the film really. I did not mind that as a nod to YOLT (the scar); I did not mind him being captured. And I think they kept any nuance of Austin Powers out of it enough, thankfully.

NOTE: We do NOT need spoiler tags here anymore. So all readers beware.

Thanks for that info, @royale65. I've only seen SPECTRE once so far. I go again in 3 and 1/2 days. I'm happy to say that for my first viewing of it I was able to just open up and soak it in, without analyzing it. I loved the entire opening sequence. So if it was more than a one master camera take, which it was according to Hoyt van Hoytema himself in that article, that is fine with me. I bet people jump on that, too, as a negative (oh they were trying to be sneaky and make it look like one long master shot!). Bollocks. I think they were trying to make an interesting, exciting, and visually stunning opener - and they succeeded. I don't care at all if it was one camera or three or ten; the result is beautiful. Hoytema said they wanted to do a reverse - start small and then widen everything, go big ... it just sounds like he wanted to be creative with it. The article references Birdman (I have not seen it), A Touch of Evil (saw it a long time ago) and The Player (saw it in the theater, again many years ago) - that's fine. My point is I was not watching SPECTRE and saying to myself "oh what an awesome, long master shot that is!" or "oh he's going for a long master take like in "The Player"). No - I just went along for the ride, let this film be what it is: a very fine, excellently shot Bond film. :>
    I'm in complete agreement @4EverBonded
    @Lancaster007, I think the nods to previous Bond films were subtle enough, kept in check enough in SPECTRE. I think many of us would have loved Blofeld to look like his description by Fleming, but I doubt that would happen because the Blofeld the wider public knows is based on YOLT (though I think Telly has been our general fave Blofeld here on the forum, prior to SPECTRE). I am fine with his appearance either way (Fleming's or what we have in SPECTRE). But I did expect him to look more or less along the lines from YOLT. However, I definitely understand your wanting Blofeld to look different (esp. a la Fleming). Personally, I find plenty of flaws in YOLT ... and I think that for a long time now my feelings about Pleasance's portrayal is tainted by Austin Powers later overboard take on that one.
    That opening is just building and building, to a crescendo. Magnificent.
    I never cared for the Ernst of YOLT. I did find the scar in SPECTRE was an interesting touch and I'm okay with it. Why they had such a time casting such an iconic villain for his "unmasking" in the fifth film is beyond me. First they had that benevolent looking guy, and he was replaced by Pleasance. Kinda over the top if you ask me and when he first meets Bond he just says some BS line. No "At last me meet" the big reveal was so .. poof. I agree that Austin Powers torpedoed this interpretation of Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

edited December 2015 Posts: 12,459
    I like Christoph Waltz a lot; a fine actor. Musing on his Blofeld in SPECTRE, I think he was asked to tone down the menace somehow. Maybe because overall the film was going for a lighter tone. Because he can play evil, threatening bastards; he can be creepy. Waltz is a good actor. This Blofeld, even if played not so heavily, dramatically evil or twisted (meaning Waltz could have taken this a lot darker, I feel) this portrayal was - thankfully! - not extreme, over the top, whiny, camp, or too strong of a throwback to Pleasance or Austin Powers' Dr. Evil (was that his name? I cannot remember; though I can picture him in my mind!).

During the film, I enjoyed all the characters, including Oberhauser/Blofeld. If it were camp or referencing YOLT far too much, I would have been bugged a bit by that, sure. But it wasn't. Come to think of it, that is a fine line to walk (for Mendes and Waltz).

Yes, @OHMSS69; Mike Myers has a lot to answer for. :O)
    I think it's like they felt they (producers & Mendes) had to go with that particular look (and cat, too!) for Blofeld as that is the general public's image of that character - and the public would want that familiarity in general. Yet they did not want Blofeld to look stupid, overblown, camp, or ridiculous. Not easy. I didn't mind the cat either, by the way. ;)
    As picky as Bond fans can get (and we can!), that opening is a stunner - one of the best in the whole series. I do agree, @Thunderfinger.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 12,459
    You can be negative, @Birdleson. This is not a club where only similar opinions are allowed. I actually want all opinions here, especially Originals (but all welcome, if respectful).

These are the beginnings that I love most, just off the top of my head: TSWLM, TLD, FYEO (even with the awfully fake Blofeld being dumped down the chimney stack), OP, CR, GE, TND,TWINE, SF, and SPECTRE. I do find SPECTRE to be wonderfully filmed (I don't care how many shots/cameras), beautiful, exciting, and right up there with the best.

I think Hoytema was going for a slightly different look, the way to unfold the film; not just ape a continuous long shot that would be very similar to A Touch of Evil or The Player.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @4Ever, I too liked that the nods to previous films were subtly done - unlike DAD where they virtually slapped you in the face. They didn't work and took me out of the film (not a bad thing!), and yes SPECTRE's PTS is a good 'un, action, stunts and humour, though I could have done without the title card. Would have been nice if the gun barrel spot opened up on that big skull. Oh what a picky bunch we are.
    On my third viewing sat in the cinema (on my own) waiting for the legend 'James Bond Will Return', can't understand why that wasn't at the top of the credits.
    That first shot was masterful. And there's no way it could be all in one because they used a crane for the bookends & a hand held steadycam for the interior.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 17,697
    My favourite PTS's: GF, TLD, (my top two) TND & SP (both awesome action).
    @Lancaster007 regarding the "James Bond will Return" line, in the early films (FRWL and GF) this appeared at the start of the closing credits but beginning with YOLT the line is shown at the end of the credits. Since AVTAK when Fleming titles were all but used up, we just get "James Bond will..."

As far as PTS goes, my favs would be (in no necessary order) SF, OHMSS, MR SF really got the old blood pumping !!

I liked SP okay it was no better or no worst than most of the others.