SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

Spoiled for 51 years.,,

But in a good way, right?

Yes!
  • That first season of U.N.C.L.E. in B&W sort of spoiled me for the rest of the series in color, as I thought it a lot more serious & therefore cooler than the later more humorous episodes...of course, that's also my reaction to the first season of Superman, with Phyllis Coates as a B&W Lois Lane, rather than Noel Neill's color version. The first season of Superman is somewhat more violent than subsequent years which were also played more for laughs. Maybe it's just me...or maybe it's something about attempting to make an action series for television.
    We had B&W televisions so I never saw UNCLE in color. I did like the first season ( 1964-65- )
    The Wild Wild West was also better its first (B&W ) season as was Gilligan's Island. And lets not forgot "Lost in Space"... I don't know if it has anything to do with color versus B&W, it was just that the first seasons seem to be more creative and everything is new and fresh.

Any of you remember "The Girl From U.N.C.L.E." ? starred Stephanie Powers. It had one season that was tongue in cheek but it was kinda a fun show. As was "Honey West" with Anne Francis
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am popping in, actually without reading many prior posts here.
    But happy to see you are chatting and about The Man From UNCLE, which I have always loved (being lazy and not putting in the periods - ha!). @OHMSS69, of course I remember The Girl From UNCLE! I wanted to be her! I loved Stephanie Powers and used to pretend I was April Dancer. I wanted to marry Noel Harrison, too. 8-> It was simply fun.

I have not seen the new UNCLE movie yet, but I will. And I think I will definitely enjoy it. Naysayers about it don't bother me.

51QNP%2B24bCL._SX342_.jpg

$_35.JPG

a89dcca5a8eb1e61aef78330bc4bca5b.jpg
    For a refresher course on U.N.C.L.E. you can always drop in here: www.theunclefiles.com
    Oh yeah and of course before there was a worldwide secret agency with a tailor shop entrance in Kingsman there was this.
    Thanks, @delfloria for that link. :) I will definitely go there later.

UNCLE was so much fun. I hoping the current film is simply fun and a good nod to the 60's.

Also just to say that Noel Harrison passed away in 2013; I remember I cried when I learned that. I had a true crush on him, loved his singing "Windmills of your Mind" too. Just part of my childhood; always thought of him fondly.
    Here is Noel, just for your listening pleasure. "Windmills of Your Mind" (which won the Oscar for best song, The Thomas Crown Affair). I forget the year of the orig. film, maybe 1968. (And the Bond tie-in, besides UNCLE have a slight tie in, is Pierce's remake of the film - which is one of my favorite films of Pierce's and I do prefer it to the original film; as much as I love Steve McQueen).

• edited November 2015 Posts: 2,341
    I have to make a comment about the political incorrectness of the sixties.
    To call the show "The Girl from ..." is so incorrect. "Girl" corresponds to "Boy" and "Man" is to "Woman". Show should have been called "The Woman from U.N.C.L.E" or "The Boy from U.N.C.L.E."
    :)) :))

On a more serious note: I have not seen the U.N.C.L.E. film either but I plan to. Is it out on Redbox yet? I guess it must be. I liked the previews just never got around to catching it in the theaters.
  • Serious point: I believe it was released on DVD & Blu-Ray in the USA recently. Unserious point: I believe the follow-up film in the series is slated to be called "The Person From U.N.C.L.E." Of course, that's also incorrect as there is usually more than one U.N.C.L.E. agent involved in each storyline, but we fight our battles as they occur...
    I'd respond to the last comment about UNCLE but it would be considered a spoiler!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3,564
    Of COURSE I remember The Girl from U.N.C.L.E., and Honey West too, for that matter. I think Honey was probably a few years ahead of her time -- that show might well be a big hit if it were revived today! @delfloria, please do drop on by any time you’ve got a mind to…info on our cousins with all the initials is only too welcome! And @4Ever, thanks for posting that “Windmills” clip. I hadn’t heard that song in ages -- it’s interesting how some songs are played over & over forever, and others just fade away with the passage of time…
    Of COURSE I remember The Girl from U.N.C.L.E., and Honey West too, for that matter. I think Honey was probably a few years ahead of her time -- that show might well be a big hit if it were revived today! @delfloria, please do drop on by any time you’ve got a mind to…info on our cousins with all the initials is only too welcome! And @4Ever, thanks for posting that “Windmills” clip. I hadn’t heard that song in ages -- it’s interesting how some songs are played over & over forever, and others just fade away with the passage of time…

It would be interesting to see Honey West revived in today's marketplace. She was ahead of her time, as there are so many female driven action shows and dramas on television now. Loved Anne Francis, never forgot her face and that "beauty mark" near her mouth...
  • No doubt about it, casting is a MAJOR point in any production! We still remember Anne Francis as Honest West, after just a few episodes, all these years later. Sean Connery is still the definitive Bond, and always will be no matter how many others take over the role in the decades to come. Desmond Llewellyn will always be Q for me, even though the current fellow is doing a perfectly fine job in the role. Even in a small screen comedy -- I'm thinking of the TV hit, "The Big Bang Theory" -- Jim Parsons as Dr. Sheldon Cooper absolutely OWNS the role, to the point that I don't believe the show would have been anywhere near as popular with anyone else else portraying that character. Is there anyone out there who'd like to nominate another perfect match of character and actor?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    John Cleese as Basil Fawlty.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Basil Fawlty as 'R'.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Basil Fawlty as 'R'.

Mis-cast or what?! Glad they didn't persist with him as Q.

With @Beatles re: TBBT, just couldn't imagine anyone else in any of the roles actually.

And what about Geneviève Bujold as the original Capt. Janeway in ST:Voyager. Great actress but just not suited to the role.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones.

Will be as hard to replace as Connery in the Bond role.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,341
    Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock

@Thunderfinger Funny when one considers that Harrison Ford was their second choice. Lucas and Spielberg had wanted Tom Selleck but he was unavailable after Magnum PI was picked up by CBS

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Spectre has opened today in Japan, a week ahead of schedule. (Perhaps Star Wars opening up a couple of week later hurried them along - Star Wars is released on the 18th in Japan.) So, our friend in Japan should be rejoining the forum sooner than expected.
  • Is it opening in English today in Japan -- or only in Japanese? She'll be wanting to see it in English. Still, thanks for the info!
    Agent 4EverBonded reporting in.
    SPECTRE opened last night Nov. 27th in only selected theaters in Japan - but only a 20 min. bullet train ride away for me. So I made my journey to buy my ticket yesterday (28th) after work. (I cannot see the actual film until this Sunday, though, due to time and work requirements - and I could not buy tickets on line; I had to go to the actual cinema, in a new, huge mall). Here is my report of getting this ticket ~

Mission report as follows (it is a bit lengthy):
    Friday after work -
    Transportation and walk to cinema (in huge new mall near the train station) was done in record time. Even the train pulled in 2 minutes early; I checked the time twice (highly unusual!). I was ready for anything, so I thought ...

Armed with printouts of the cinema's seating arrangement (courtesy of their website) and a note in Japanese and English I found my way to the ticket counter (after getting a map of this huge mall).

I arrived and stepped into the nice lobby.
    There was no line.
    At first I was baffled (SPECTRE has people everywhere, so there must be some evil plot behind this!) - then I saw people standing at the many automatic ticket machines! Aha! But no one at the customer counter. Lucky me.

I looked at the nice Japanese girl and saw some flicker of intelligence and the genuine willingness to help that you truly find at pretty much every customer counter in Japan.

I used my best expressions & short sentences in Japanese, starting by saying "I am so sorry; I do not speak much Japanese". She smiled and said, "Okay" in English - so we plunged ahead.

Laying out all my papers, I carefully showed her that I needed to see 007 SPECTRE in ENGLISH. And I wanted a good seat. On Sunday (not today!). All seats are reserved, as I had thought.

Smiling throughout, within seconds she had pulled out her own paperwork (so there!) and highlighted seats, as well as brought the theater up on her screen. I had a choice of great seats at the theater I wanted. She first thought I wanted the slightly cheaper theater which holds many people (huge audience). I explained I preferred the smaller "Gran" ("grand") theater, with cushy seats and not many people. It only costs $5 more (U.S. equivalent). How close was the screen? I am short; what about someone in front of me? All those kinds of worries were smilingly, gently washed away.

Could I buy a ticket now for the next week? No, alas, that cannot happen. But she explained when I am here on Sunday to see my show I can buy a ticket for the following Sunday then. I was happy. And then ...

I pointed out the Japanese note and other symbol to her three times (I couldn't help myself), to make sure I was getting the film in English audio (Jap. subtitles on the side). This surely tried her patience - but she remained calm and pleasant. I chose the exact seat; I was happy. And then ...

She let me know the cushy seats all reclined ... a lot. Seeing over the person in front of me would not be an issue. She showed me a photo of the chair fully reclined. DING! My eyes lit up. Honestly, I wish I could put the photo in this report - these seats look like the most expensive Barcalounger (or whatever they are called) super reclining cushy leather chair that our dads always wanted to have but could not usually afford. Drink holders in place, too, foot rests that pop up, etc. I was happy. And then ...

She said "The lounge opens at 11:00 a.m." (my show starts at 12:00 noon).
    Lounge? And then she handed me my drink ticket. !! DING! :) My eyes lit up even more. (Have you ever had your eyes light up and you could feel them lighting up? That is how it felt.)

She reviewed the info with me, printed my ticket, and said to me, "No cancel" and I said (trying not to shout it) "NO! I am not cancelling, no matter what." I thanked her profusely in Japanese.

So I walked away, after carefully putting my drink ticket and movie ticket in the secret zipped compartment of my wallet (which went in my backpack). I stealthily sent up flares & fireworks as I made my way back to catch my train home, humming the theme from "You Only Live Twice" (I did, actually; that is how corny - and devoted - a Bond fan I am). ;)

This ended up so good it was like a dream ...
    (My experience for Skyfall was at an older, more typical mall with none of these extras.)

A very happy 4EverBonded will return Sunday evening, Nov. 29th (Sat. morning for most of you) ... with my report about the actual film, SPECTRE!
    "Very happy".... hmmmm this bodes well!!!
    Very happy indeed
    My biggest niggle with the film is that Adele should have done the song IMO.
  • I thought the song worked better with titles & images & all that behind it than it did as a stand-alone song...but patience! 4Ever will be back with us soon, & then the gloves are off & spoilers will be allowed...
  • As far as casting goes: yes to Harrison Ford as Indy and yes, most assuredly to Nimoy as Spock. How about Patrick Macnee as Number 6 and Leo McKern as Number 2? Despite the fact that numerous actors played "the NEW Number 2" in the original series, McKern was so good that they re-used him as the series drew to a close. "The Prisoner" has been tried out for a couple of different revivals (in comics format as well as TV) but no one has ever been able to duplicate the lasting appeal of the original!
    Patrick McGoohan's Prisoner was absolutely lightning in a bottle, and no one, NO ONE but McGoohan could do either the role or the series.
    I got one for you @chrisisall - Spike and Buffy. And Willow. Xander and Giles as well. :D
    I couldn't imagine anyone else in those roles.
    royale65 wrote: »
    I got one for you @chrisisall - Spike and Buffy. And Willow. Xander and Giles as well. :D
    I couldn't imagine anyone else in those roles.
    Of them all, James Marsters as Spike was absolutely unique. His comic timing mixed with his ferocity was something no one else would have done nearly as well.