SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• I believe "He" has actually been confirmed as being David Geffen.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Seriously? I read it somewhere confirmed as Jagger. Or Beatty.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 2,341
    There were some cringeworthy songs (and films) from the decade.
    American Pie I do declare this is the song from Hell. I hated it in 1971 and I still hate that goddamn tune. I just want to take the song writer and beat him with a tireiron.
    Love Grows where My Rose Mary goes Gawd! i remember hearing this song at a track meet in 1970. I will leave the room when this piece of monkey shytt comes on the radio.
    You Light up My Life A beautiful melody but it was just overplayed by radio in 1977...

Films I loved to hate
    DAF
    Network everyone raved about this film but I never got it. I fell asleep in the theater.
    Buffalo Bill and the Indians This movie is one of the all time worst films I had the displeasure of paying and watching.

And of course there was that fascination with demonic possession after The Exorcist in late 1973/early 74. I only saw it once and never wanted to see it again. I don't know why. I just never wanted anything to do with this film. Was it scary? I don't think so. Disturbing, you bet.

As for horror thrills, The Omen with Gregory Peck and Lee Remick had me sleeping with the lights on.
    Thanks, @OHMSS69. :)
    Oh, I got pretty sick of American Pie, believe me. I probably liked it at first. But it was overkill. I had forgotten about "Love Grows ..." and "You Light up my Life". Yeeecccchhh for me, too. And those songs about "Muskrat Love" and "Afternoon Delight" or was that the same song? I don't really want to recall! (shudders)

Films: Network I saw later, on dvd, and thought it was a good film, but I didn't see it in the theater. I've never seen that Buffalo Bill one. I loved Shampoo, though! Does anybody remember that film? Julie Christie, Goldie Hawn, and Warren Beatty. I thought it was funny and a tad sad at times, too. And of course the film *M*A*S*H was superb, fresh, and different and just great. That started out the decade.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    And of course there was that fascination with demonic possession after The Exorcist in late 1973/early 74. I only saw it once and never wanted to see it again. I don't know why. I just never wanted anything to do with this film. Was it scary? I don't think so. Disturbing, you bet.
    When my friend & I snuck into this one to see what the fuss was all about, I had the time of my life. I snicked through most of it & laughed way out loud when she turned her head 360. After Legend Of Hell House that seemed like a comedy.

edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Really? I never saw the Exorcist in the theaters. When I did see it, it was just gross and scary, yes.

I'm rather expecting some more chat on films as the 70's had diverse and great films for sure. Klute ... Taxi Driver ... Godfather ... Apocalypse Now ... etc.
    Taxi Driver freaked me out. So did Vanishing Point (to a lesser degree). I found Texas Chainsaw Massacre quite disturbing (snuck in; I was only 15 or 16). Le Mans with McQueen was awesome. Harold & Maud was really weird, but quite good. Shamus was LOTS of fun, however, Reynold's other one around that time, Deliverance was pretty damn vicious (it was like a country version of Taxi Driver). Wizards had to be the strangest cartoon movie I'd ever seen...
    I saw Wizards with a pair of Army buddies. It was interesting to say the least. One that us macho Army guys raved over was "Grease". Yeah, the musical. Liked it much better than "Saturday Night Fever" which aside from the music I thought was just plain stupid.

"Apocalypse Now"...saw that after I got out the Army and I laughed my arse off. Other people were so shocked by that film and the images but I gotta tell you I laughed and laughed. I could not describe certain scenes without cracking up.

Deliverance, I had missed but did finally catch a midnight showing on base. I must have had a few because I fell asleep about halfway through and woke up at the end. Sorry guys...

Taxi Driver was sick....

Loved Chinatown

We should all share our "The Exorcist" stories. I was in college. Saw it in Amarillo Texas. The red necks in that town had tried to have it banned but they failed. Went with three other pals and the lines were so long we had to buy our tickets two hours early and come back to the next showing. We went got loaded up on pizza and beer then went back and caught it.
    The theater manager walked out on stage and made some cute remarks beforehand and then they rolled it. Afterwards, I saw a lot of guys rush into the lobby and light up. That movie really freaked them out. lol (yes, one could smoke in theater lobbies then, you Originals know exactly what I'm talking about)

@4EverBonded: how did you miss that movie in the theater? :)
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I saw a lot of guys rush into the lobby and light up. That movie really freaked them out. lol (yes, one could smoke in theater lobbies then, you Originals know exactly what I'm talking about)
    Are you kidding? When I was a kid you could smoke right in the theatre itself.
    :-O
    My fondest memory of absolute cheese: Double bill of Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster & Frogs. OMFG.
    actually, I missed it on purpose. Horror really does not appeal to me.

I'm curious as to which incidents and particulars you found so amusing about Apocalypse Now. I'm not being funny or grumpy; I'm really interested if you could enlighten me a bit. Your perspective would have been different from mine, for sure. :)
    I'm curious as to which incidents and particulars you found so amusing about Apocalypse Now.
    Just speaking for myself, I found it to be extremely and unnecessarily 'artistic' all the way through. The story was kind of interesting, but I thought Conan The Barbarian was a more realistically told tale.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    I have not seen AN in ages, but it was artistic and moody. I liked it, though. I didn't go in expecting an ordinary, really realistic film. I need to see it again. I think I mostly remember enjoying Robert Duvall's character ("I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like .... victory.") something like that. ;)
    I I didn't go in expecting an ordinary, really realistic film. I need to see it again.
    I thought it would have been better served by being played more like Catch 22, a vastly superior film covering some of the same territory IMHO.
    It was Coppola, who definitely had his own, more serious and also visionary/dreamlike take on it. I didn't want another M*A*S*H or Catch 22.
    visionary/dreamlike take on it.
    The last part with Brando was pretty great I must admit.

• If we're talking movies in the '70s we MUST mention The Rocky Horror Picture Show. All together now, sing along with Blofeld: "It's just a jump to the LEFT...."
    Put yah hands on yah hips!
  • You're getting ahead of the game, @chris: second line is, "And then a step to the Ri-hi-hi-hiiight..." You chimed in with the third line, and the fourth would be: "And get your knees in ti-hi-hight..." Now who's got the fifth line?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    But it's the pelvic thrust that teally
    drives them insane !
    Lets do the Time warp again.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 2,341
    @4EverBonded Like I said, I saw AN after my tour of active duty, I was too young for Viet Nam (lucky me) but we did enough field training and to listen to young soldiors talk, how they behaved on maneuvers, seeing that film just brought back some of the humorous side of serving your country.

I wonder if Coppola was like James Whale when he did Bride of Frankenstein in 1935. Whale said the joke was that no one got that the movie was tongue in cheek and intended to be funnier than the earlier film. Hitchcock admits that he filmed North by Northwest with his tongue firmly inplated in his cheek. I wonder if Coppola did the same with his "Viet Nam War Epic".

Some of my favorite scenes: the quiet jungle scene interrupted by a charging tiger. That patrol boat roaring into action and a young Lawrence Fishburne opening up on the bank with that M-60. Only Martin Sheen and "Chef" knew what was going on.
    The R&R scene with the entertainment with Playboy models...
    The one that had me in tears from laughter was when they stumble on that destroyed bridge and among all the confusion...a pair of soldiors were firing a machine gun screaming and cusing, nearby another soldior with his black power slogans held a M-79 grenade launcher....Martin Sheen comes up and asks calmly what he's shooting at. the soldior's responses to him are priceless. :))
    When the CPO tries to order Chef to check out some junk for contraband and Chef did not want to do it. The way the CPO yelled at him finally saying "GET ON THAT BOAT!!".

Maybe I have a funeral parlour sense of humor. But those scenes were funny and just not in keeping with the tension everyone else saw in the film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Coppola wanted realism, so in the opening shots Martin Sheen was really tripping on LSD. As for DennisHopper, you can guess the rest.
    Oooooh, that's right. I read that he was. Geez.
    No wonder he suffered a heart attack (Sheen); just a tiny bit of stress and psychedelic drugs messing with him.
    Oooooh, that's right. I read that he was. Geez.
    No wonder he suffered a heart attack (Sheen); just a tiny bit of stress and psychedelic drugs messing with him.

Method actors.
    I remember an old story about Dustin Hoffman and Sir Larry Olivier on
    The set of Marathon Man ( now called Snickers man ).
    Sir Larry walked on set to see Dustin looking dreadful, Hoffman explained
    That as his character had been up all night, then to play the part he'd stayed
    Up all night !
    Sir Larry, smiled and said, that's why you should learn how to act, then you
    Wouldn't have to do that dear boy ! :))
    Don't know if it's true but I hope so.
    Dustin had not only been up all night he was on "meds" and truly out of it.
    I read Larry said something about "or you could simply try acting." So there must be a few versions of that story! But something like that happened, I do think so. ;)
    I heard it was "Why not try acting, boy?"
    :)) as I said I hope it's true as many of the older actors had no time
    For the " Method ".
    Yes, it's somewhere. I think in more one book.
    There were plenty of people witnessing this and many other incidents. I do remember that the word on Hoffman during the film was very negative. He was demeaning to Olivier and demanding. Lots of stories about all of that, too.
    I like the story of a young actor who asked SpencerTracy what was his
    Secret ? Tracy replied " Remember to say your lines and don't bump
    Into the furniture " :)
    Even Pierce Brosnan in an interview mentioned about remembering
    Emotions to use them again in acting, and if you don't have those
    Emotions, Pretend ! :)
    I totally forgot the main thing for me in the Seventies- Star Trek RERUNS!!! Every day of the week at 6PM!