SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    For the life of me, I can't figure out why I've been having disco songs stuck in my head the last few days. Chic's "Le Freak", Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" and Kiss's "I Was Made For Loving You" to name a few.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Because they're great-?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I would have never thought that back then, but yes.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oooh, "Le Freak" !!!! That was fun. ;)
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,564
    Disco.

Can I pretend this is the “Stuff I Can't Stand” thread for just a moment? Thanks, I won’t be this way for long.

I HATED disco. There were plenty of people in the ‘70s who felt that way, and I was one of them. “Disco sucks!” was our rallying cry and I’ll thank you not to remind me of those hideous days ever again.

Okay, that’s it. Rant over.

To be fair, the '70s were all over the map, culturally as well as politically. In '72 we reelected Nixon and a few years later we chased him out of office. Then we (briefly) had Gerald Fudd (I'm sorry, FORD) as our President...then came the rise of Jimmy Carter, the Sunday School Teacher who became President, only to run afoul of the first wave of Muslim Theocracy with the Iran Hostage Crisis at the beginning of the '80s. Culturally, the '70s were the decade in which Fonzie jumped the shark. Of course, the '70s were the decade in which Fonzie was also the epitome of cool. James Bond himself got a little too close to that self same shark in the '70s, so what are you going to do? Musically we went from singer/songwriters early in the decade, to the vapid sweep of disco by the middle of the decade, for which the only possible antidote as the decade closed was the scourge of punk rock. Let that be a lesson to you: get too deeply into Donna Summer and you'll end up with Sid Vicious when the pendulum swings back in the other direction.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,564
    Some people say “If you can remember the Sixties, you weren’t really there.” Well, I was there…but I remember those times pretty well. I guess I was just too young and not taking enough drugs back then. For me, it’s the Seventies that are pretty much a blur…

As a fan of pop culture, my memories of the decade contain too few good points (mostly around the early and latter years) and too many bad ones (smack dab in the middle.) In terms of comic books, the high points (the work of a few writers like Englehart and Gerber) were brief exceptions in a sea of mediocrity. No, I’m not naming names. I won’t Shooter my mouth off that way…

A few interesting comics related movies came out in the seventies. Christopher Reeves’ immortal rendition of Superman was certainly a high point in that regard. I need to arrange a repeat viewing of Robin Williams’ role as Popeye in the film directed by Robert Altman…and (if only for the songs by Queen and the appearance of Timothy Dalton as Prince Barin) I really, really ought to see Flash Gordon again, if only to see if my opinion has changed much in the intervening decades. (I didn’t like it at the time, but I WAS impressed by Dalton. “This guy might make a good Bond someday” is my memory of my assessment, but hindsight IS 20/20.) Robin W’s Popeye wasn’t very successful at the time…but I kind of liked it. It was a very quirky movie, with a script by Jules Feiffer and a few songs by Harry Nilsson…and Robin’s performance was really fairly understated for him. Maybe that was the problem: if he’d let go a bit more and the film had contained a sense of the anarchy at the heart of E.C. Segar’s original comic strip, the movie might have found more success with the movie going public.

But my favorite cultural creation of the Seventies was probably M*A*S*H the television series. In the first few years, it was decent enough, a TV adaptation of a successful movie adapting a reasonably popular novel…but as the series progressed, it got better and better, achieving a remarkable blend of humor and drama that really has to be seen to be appreciated. Early on, it was fairly predictable, even a bit flawed: Viet Nam era antiestablishment humor set incongruously during the Korean War. But as time went on, the hospital setting and the seriousness of the storylines brought a richer mix of themes than either the film or the novel had ever attempted. Even more surprising for an episodic television show: every time they had to replace a departing actor (usually the kiss of death for weekly TV) the show got stronger! Originally, lead characters Hawkeye Pierce and Trapper John McIntyre were essentially the same voice: both were cynical, antiestablishment humorists; both brilliant, dedicated surgeons; both skirt chasing alcoholics. When the actor cast as Trapper John left the show, his replacement, Mike Farrel playing BJ Hunnicut, could match his skills as a surgeon, humorist, and alcoholic…but he brought a new note to the piece: BJ was also a dedicated family man. The show was actually stronger for the presence of a new actor, as our lead characters were now sympathetic but not entirely similar. The same thing happened two more times, as first the actor playing Colonel Blake, the camp’s commanding officer, and then the actor playing Major Burns (our heroes’ main foil and a true military martinet) departed and were replaced by actors playing stronger, more realistic and yes, more nuanced characters. M*A*S*H was one of the most popular television series of the day, and it’s still in syndication. If you haven’t seen it before, I highly recommend viewing a few episodes!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Even as a kid, I loved MASH. As an adult I could appreciate other sides to it than the humour.
  • A decade or so back, TV Guide essayed a ranking of the Top (100? 20? I forget...) TV shows of all time. M*A*S*H came in at...Number 1. I don't disagree.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    M*A*S*H probably is my very favorite TV show of all time. Thanks, @Beatles. You are right about the quality - the writing, the acting, all superb and a great mixture of drama and comedy that made you think. I cannot think of a truly comparable show. It matured very well and has lasting value. :-bd

In the 70's I went to only a couple of discos and basically it was not the kind of music I was really into. I did love dancing and had fun a bit. I did enjoy a few of Donna Summer's hits. I was never into ABBA (I grew to appreciate them more later). Most of my friends were of the "disco sucks" brigade, and I pretty much was, too. I liked rock and some pop, some ballads, but a good deal of disco just well, irritated me. I was not into heavy punk either. So I was trying to tread my rocknroll self through the mire of the 70's, which as a mishmash of things, yes. Ended the decade with the splendid "London Calling" which is still as great as ever.

Oh, a couple more memories from the 70's for me:
    - voting age 18
    - drinking age 18 (woo hoo!)
    - learned quickly that tequila was not my friend, but gin and rum were
    - bell bottom, low waist jeans
    - long, long hair
    - Nixon booted out
    - I started my first real job, while attending night college
    - additional music: Curtis Mayfield (Superfly)
    - additional film and catchphrase: from Network: "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" (very cathartic)

I'd love to hear about growing up in the 70's in the UK or other countries, if anybody else could join us with some of those recollections, that would be splendid. Cheers!
    Well, you tell from the way I use my walk I'm a woman's man, no time to talk.
    Ooooh! Oh dear heavens, those high screeching straining wailing voices just interrupted my peaceful morning. I'm sorry, I was never a fan of The BeeGees. But you are right, @chrisisall, that was a huge mega hit film and song. But not for me.
    The first time I heard the song was on my car radio. Then on MTV I saw the video & was truly surprised to see GUYS singing... :P
    I knew the BeeGees from the 60's and they had just one song I liked a bit. "Words" I think it was called. "It's only words and words are all I have to take your heart away ..." it was a slow song, but I just mostly never cared for their sound. (Yes, "Words" from 1968; I just looked it up.)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Just here to chime in on M.A.S.H. beeing one of, if not the greatest TV-series of all time. As a kid I saw all the reruns on Dutch television, and it's still one I'd go and sit down for to watch, which I can say of not many tv-shows.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I'm in the minority, I guess. Loves seasons 1-3, before Alan Alda learned to love making his highlight reels for the Emmys
    I just respectfully disagree. For me, I loved all the seasons of M*A*S*H and feel more aligned with @Beatles in that it grew as it went along. Anyway, I'm glad others enjoyed it, too, whether for just the early seasons or the whole ride. A truly great tv show.

Re: MUSIC of the 70's:

Any dancing queens out there? Any early punks? Anybody want to share some personal recollections? I know we have several more members who grew up in the 70's compared to growing up in the 60's. Don't be shy.

So today I want to mention Bowie, Alice, Grand Funk, and Aerosmith. I enjoyed Bowie and he always had a great voice, besides being theatrical and innovative. I was not completely versed with all of Alice's work, but man did I love School's Out. And I rocked quite a bit with Grand Funk Railroad and Aerosmith. :D

dbrr.png

72_schools_out.jpg
    alice-cooper-schools-out-3.jpg

grand_funk_railroad-we_re_an_american_band-frontal.jpg

aerosmith-toys-in-the-attic-album-cover%5B1%5D.jpg

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The 70s - music.
    As the 70s started, I became more aware of the music I was listening to. And began to like different stuff to my parents, although one of the earliest 70s albums I had was Bridge Over Troubled Water (which my mum and dad bought for me for christmas), and I really liked, but then on Top of The Pops appeared a corkscrewed-haired elf with glitter on his cheeks and platform shoes on his feet singing about Hot Love. Bam! This was my music, different from my parents taste (and even my older bro), it was called Glam Rock, and as we were just getting use to Bolan along came some alien in a jumpsuit singing about a Starman, and as he looked down the camera lens twirling his finger and singing 'I had to phone someone so I picked on you-oo-oo', a whole generation were hooked! Bowie after years of trying hit the big time, and wow did he hit it. Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars was one of the greatest rock albums ever. Great songs, great cover and on the back, at the bottom left the legend 'play at maximum volume'. Brilliant.
    After Glam things went a bit off, novelty records, the Prog crowd getting too up themselves, (I actually like some Prog), and the hideousness of Disco - but just as things were looking bad and I hit mid-teens PUNK exploded onto the scene. Thank F for that! This was the boost that the music industry needed and it caused quite a stir - it wasn't just that your parents didn't get it, the establishment were fearful of the movement and it all came to a head on the Queen's Silver Jubilee! After punk we had post-punk, new romantic and goth, but as the 80s approached things just went downhill again (imo). Never again would I get as excited about music as I had done during the Glam Rock days and the Punk Revolution.
    Thanks so much, @Lancaster007! What a great coincidence - I was waking up and just coming to this thread now to post a video of Marc Bolan. I actually went to sleep with "Bang a Bong, Get It On" in my head. Still one of the best songs ever. I love your description of him: a corkscrewed-haired elf with glitter on his cheeks and platform shoes on his feet singing about Hot Love.
    I fell in love with him from the first time I heard his music and when I first saw Marc on TV, I wanted to jump into the TV and grab him. I have hardly ever felt this strong an attraction to a musician or his music (The Beatles comes to mind as just about the other other ones to move me like that). Lucky me, I got to see T. Rex about 1972 (could have been 1973) in concert (yes in little old Florida) - and I was so psyched I practically wanted to tear off my clothes. I watched the concert from on the floor not far from the stage, rocking out to my heart's content. Marc was mesmerizing; the band was spot on, grooving, just explosive. And I remember I nearly lost my hearing; had a loud buzzing in my ears for 3 days. So worth it! :D

I'm happy to hear your experience with music in the 70's. Bowie was amazing, you are right on about that. I think punk was a natural, although at first surprising, evolution. And it seems necessary in retrospect. Disco was like a counterweight, but not really my thing. This was all pre MTV, pre internet days, too.

I'll post more later today, but for now I'll leave you all with a video that is, well, a little bit of an example of glam rock in 1972. Not as great as a live show, but this performance (on Top of the Pops) has tons of early 70's fashion (in the audience, too - the hair! the clothes!), listless (or were they drugged?) girl background dancers (I cannot imagine dancing so listlessly, just going thru the motions, to T. Rex!), and a quite young Elton John on piano. Marc looks fab, though. So I'm choosing this vid to share with everybody today. Here we go ...

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ah music, one of my passions! Some of my fav artists were at their height, such as The Who, Led Zepp, Black Sabbath, Neil Young, The Clash, Madness and, of course David Bowie. Possibly my fav Bowie ablum is Young Americans

Excellent! Thanks for that, @royale65. A great album! I love Bowie; such an innovator, and always with a strong voice. Glad he is still with us.

I also enjoyed some other artists, too, of course. I will post a little about other groups later today. Anybody else want to chime in with their fav 70's singers/groups, please do! :) Or indeed anything you'd like to write about your experiences from the 70's (not only music).

Meanwhile, I'll post my final vid of Marc Bolan and his band T Rex. Here is a nice rendition of the song @Lancaster007 mentioned, "Hot Love".

This is what the early Seventies means to me:
    GoApe.jpg
    Ah yes, the many Planet of the Ape films! :)
    All in one sitting! Three times!
    Really? That is truly great ape dedication, @chrisisall.

By the way, I am halfway through my day (teaching English at a kindergarten) and the entire guitar riff of "Bang A Gong, Get It On" is still going round and round in my head, actually the whole frickin' song. It's like my life's mantra now. ;)
    Even a round of "I'm a Little Teapot" and "5 Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" hasn't stopped it from popping right back into my brain. And actually, I'm not complaining. Amazing song, and it clearly means more to my subconscious than I realized. :)>-
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited January 2015 Posts: 1,874
    @4EverBonded - over here in Blighty, T.Rex's second hit single was called Get It On, this was deemed to risqué for American teens and was retitled Bang A Gong (Get it On)!
    I remember that. 8-| Yeah, we had to have the added words Bang a Gong. Interesting and weird. Seems very silly and stupid to me. Who were these people making these decisions? For music and films, we sometimes had quite strange or ridiculous rulings.

Okay, here are some other songs from the 70s. :-\"

Maybe I'm Amazed
    Instant Karma
    Black Dog
    The Needle and the Damage Done
    You're So Vain
    Walk on the Wild Side
    Maggie May
    American Pie
    Life On Mars
    Heroes
    Who Are You?
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Free Bird
    Walk This Way
    Sweet Emotion
    No Woman, No Cry
    Diamonds and Rust
    Cum On Feel the Noize
    Blitzkrieg Bop
    Heart of Gold
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Radar Love
    It's a Long Way to the Top (if you wanna rocknroll)
    Born to Run
    Superstition
    Comfortably Numb
    Anarchy in the UK
    Rock Lobster
    Psycho Killer
    Dancing Queen
    Heart of Glass
    London Calling (yeah, I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I love it and it rounds out the decade for me)

Any discussion of 70's - politics, culture, fashion, or films and music ... all are welcome for a few more days. Cheers!
    You're So Vain
    But the song WAS about him...

I think so. ;)
    Though I heard it could be about Warren Beatty, too.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    chrisisall wrote: »
    You're So Vain
    But the song WAS about him...

That's one of the few verses I've never been able to get my head around. How could it not be about 'him'as she sings 'you're so vain'. Must be 70ies logic.