SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks, @Creasy47. I think perhaps many people agree with you.

With Fiennes in the role, I do not think it will revert to being quite as brief as the Connery/Moore eras.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @4EverBonded, that's exactly what I'm thinking. He's such a big name that I don't see him getting a brief few minutes as M. But, I've no clue what to expect with both him, Q, and MP in B24, so we shall see. They could give me the total opposite of what I want and somehow make it work, so we'll see come November 2015.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    They did not hire Fiennes to throw him away. I'm sure he'll get plenty to do, or at least to say. What I'd like to know is whether they'll bring him in the field or not. I think they won't do that any time soon. 'M' is the big chief, his kingdom is his desk. I don't mind a rare surprise, say like what Mallory got to do in SF, but let's not make that too common. It'd render the role of M pretty incredulous. M dispatches his pawns; he does the thinking, the compromising and the talking, his agents do the executing.
    @DarthDimi, if Mendes wants Fiennes to be in it a lot more (either the same amount of screentime he had in SF or more), I won't be surprised if he handles a firearm once more, given the situation he finds himself in during the court scene in SF. We now know that he can handle a firearm, so who's to say he won't go in the field to meet Bond and they're ambushed or something. I really hope that isn't the case, though.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 3,564
    One thing that Eon has always been good about is recognizing when they've overstepped the mark in one film, and moving to repair that point in the next. I'd say Bond 24 is likely to have a lower profile for M, after the M-centric Skyfall...but I won't make any predictions beyond that. As Creasy points out, we've also got Harris and Wishaw in the mix, and my concern is that the repertory company overall could end up being more of a focus to the series than is really appropriate. Bond's strength is that he is essentially a lone operative in the field...one with various allies and a great support staff, but still, the one man who can be depended upon in the clutch. One gets the feeling that B24 is intended to be a "back to basics" type adventure. That's what I'm hoping for, at any rate...and I don't think I'm alone in that regard. I'll be perfectly happy to see Mallory stuck behind the desk this time around. Or maybe he'll have a need to take Bond to dinner at Blades, as in the novel version of Moonraker. But leave the gun at home, M! That's what you've got Bond for, after all...
    Ah, dinner at Blades with Bond and M, I'd love! Now that would be enjoyable. Great idea, @Beatles. :-bd

I do hope that they are at least creative with the supporting cast within reasonable bounds. I want them to be used well. But it is Bond's arena, the field, and as we have seen from 3 Craig films, he's grown as an agent. The man needs to resolve things pretty much solo, with just a little help from his friends and allies, at the right time.
  • That scene at Blades in MR the novel is probably M's best moment in the literary Bond canon. In the films, I'd have to single out Bernard Lee's moment w/ Lazzer re: Blofeld in OHMSS...Robert Brown's "this isn't a country club!" scene w/ Dalton... and (leaving out Skyfall for the moment) Dench's "sexist, misogynist dinosaur" intro scene w/ Brosnan. I was also quite fond of her moment in TND's PTS, when Bond (observing the weapons bazaar from a distance) races off to snatch the airplane holding the atomic bomb. The officious military type asks incredulously, "What's he doing?" and Dench/M replies coldly: "His JOB." One of her best two-word shut-downs, I think...
    Good mentions of favorite M scenes, Beatles. :>
    I love M in Goldeneye and TND. I like that bit in the PTS of TND a lot. Always makes me laugh. (And it's funny because she and that actor played the leads in a romantic comedy in the UK, for years, called As Time Goes By.) The audience in the theater cheered at the end of that PTS, I remember. Still one of my favorite Bond films.

From the a, b, and c choices a few posts above - I am fine with b. M doesn't have to be so limited any more. Though that doesn't mean M needs to be actually in the field with Bond, though. I think we will get some good interaction between M and Bond in Bond 24, and possibly more background on M, and maybe seeing M in other places than his office. But I don't see him shooting his way out with Bond somewhere ... I really hope not.

The one thing I really want them to get rid of is the obvious ear piece for Bond. [-X
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Good mentions of favorite M scenes, Beatles. :>
    I love M in Goldeneye and TND. I like that bit in the PTS of TND a lot. Always makes me laugh.
    The one thing I really want them to get rid of is the obvious ear piece for Bond. [-X
    Right there with ya, 4EB!
    One thing I would like is when they would have M politically cornered. Nothing about some terrorist hunting him / her (TWINE, SF), but something else. The hearing in SF was good. Now how about if M needs to make the choice between following direct orders from his superiors and trusting Bond? I guess something more or less like what we saw in QOS. Instead of M being the one to restrict Bond's movements, how about some secretary or minister restricting M's? Bond's mission could be blacker than black, more illegal than usual. I don't know, I'm just daydreaming. ;-)
    DarthDimi, I think Fiennes would be good with that kind of dilemma. I'd like for M to be restricted somehow, too, and then have to make that choice: Bond or M's superior. Because you and I know that siding with Bond, although risky and seeming at times to be a big gamble (because he comes up against great odds and near impossible situations, along with his proclivity to do things outside of the norm) is the right choice. But M wouldn't know that instinctively yet - he is too new at working with Bond. That would give M something to struggle with and it would affect Bond. I do like that idea. Fiennes is a fine actor who could portray that just right, I think, with good effect and without hamming it up.

That's where I'm at too. Mallory has seen Bond pull it off in SF but he may still have doubts. He knows Bond's record but does he confide in it enough, so early in his career as head of MI6, to risk all? His scepticism may at first force him to make cold choices towards Bond but more and more does he realise that higher authorities are making a mess of things. He starts betting on Bond now, ironically to solve the mess he himself at first helped to create. We could end the film with a quiet scene, like in QOS, with Mallory and some high ranking politician in an office, with documents or something like that that will eventually change things a great deal, bringing Britain back on track, re-establishing MI6 as a powerful and meaningful agency. And from here on, M trusts Bond unconditionally.
    I love that, @DarthDimi! I really do. Here's hoping for something, if not completely similar, at least as strong and interesting as that premise. It would hit the right notes of tension, intrigue, and emotions. And show the development, bumpy and all, of the new M's relationship with Bond.

Oh, and the ending? I'm happy ending the film with that - as long as the previous scene right before it, shows Bond with the main Bond girl happily doing something private together. ;)
    I wonder if they'll ever refer to Judy's M in the next couple of films. We now have a clearly established mutual past experience with her. It'd be cool I think if they went there; nothing big, just some dropped reference.
    Oh I am thinking there will be a reference to Judi's M, yes. Either just something said or at least in a look at the china bulldog again. :) But I rather think M will mention his predecessor somehow. Briefly, but I think it will be there.
    That Bulldog has to be in the film. They cannot omit it! Such would be a crime. :-)
  • Quantum is obviously politically connected at the highest levels. The sort of scenario @DarthDimi suggests would go nicely with a Quantum-oriented plot-line...
    You know, there are some things I want to learn soon, meaning genuine news.
    I want to know the cinematographer probably more than anything else right now.
    I want to know the main Bond girl.
    I want to know the main villain.
    I especially want to know the script is truly finalized!! :)

But after that, whenever we get to the point where EON is giving the tiniest bit of info about the story ... many months from now ... I will be trying to sniff out if Quantum is involved. Let alone Blofeld. I do think that it is not necessary to have either in Bond 24. But with EON now having the rights to use Blofeld, I wonder if they will try to get it into this next one.

As for Quantum - if they are going to bring it back at all, I believe this is the time to do it. I just want it done in a smart, interesting way. I have my doubts about Logan originally writing Quantum in for Bond 24 ... and that would be too great a change in the script to do at this point, in my opinion (totally not in the profession, so I am just going by my gut feeling as to the feasibility of that). Also, having Bond 24 be a stand alone film and not a two story arc may count Quantum out. They could wrap Quantum up entirely with this film, though, if they really wanted to. Hmmm.

It is all intriguing and we are all getting a bit impatient for real news. They have given the new M a good back story and I feel like we will learn more about him.
    As soon as we know the actor hired for the main villain, the Blofeld speculation will swirl strongly again.

It feels like we are getting to the first top crest in a rollercoaster, about to drop down and hold our breath as we plunge into a series of dips, twists, and bumps as Bond 24 heats up and real news begins ... I'm ready. :-bd
    Quantum is obviously politically connected at the highest levels. The sort of scenario @DarthDimi suggests would go nicely with a Quantum-oriented plot-line...

If it were up to me, and I'm ambitious here, I'd write a script that not only brings back Quantum, but would be revealed to have an even darker organisation behind it, known as SPECTRE. Imagine, in the final act of the film, Bond travelling to Japan to find a certain Dr. Shatterhand we suspect he is the big bad compared to whom Greene was but a maggot. Bond will, however, soon discover that Dr. Shatterhand is a man born as Ernst Stavro Blofeld...

Exactly that, DarthDimi! As others have probably mentioned in their views of how to bring Blofeld back, it could be interestingly done. But will this be touched on soon ...?

I am unsure about Bond 24 utilizing the character. Mendes won't continue with Bond 25 (well, at least I firmly believe that at this point) but he could still end the film, say the last 15 minutes of it, leaving a tantalizing clue pointing to Blofeld. It depends upon if that is where the producers want Bond's story to continue. With Craig on board for Bond 24 and Bond 25 ... just think: he could finish his era doing battle with Blofeld. Not a bad way to go out! :D
    That's what I'm curious about, @4EverBonded!

You see, they have the rights to Blofie now; why not use him then? Of course many people dislike that idea because when they think Blofeld they think Dr. Evil. I'm fairly convinced they would never go for that type of Blofeld now. Fleming himself had a totally different Blofeld in mind too. The Blofeld we know is the product of Dahl and Gilbert's imaginations, but in fact Charles Gray's Blofeld came closer, physically, to Fleming's Blofeld. Still, our pal ESB could be a menacing character, even today. Had Silva not been Silva, he might have been Blofeld too for all I care. All we need is someone to look in the eyes and feel the cold chills. Not a flamboyant maniac but a stoically calm, brilliant mastermind, always planning behind the shadows.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    That Bulldog has to be in the film. They cannot omit it! Such would be a crime. :-)

There is a secret message for Bond inside the bulldog. "Trust no one. Especially not Mallory."
    @Thunderfinger, I'm so game with that. I mean, this script practically writes itself. :D Imagine the trailer...

*Mr Deepvoice*
    "In a world... where knights have traded swords for guns

[insert quick gun barrel shot]

en horses for dogs

[insert bulldog breaking in a 100 pieces, revealing the hidden message]

and armour for tuxedos

[insert shot of a well dressed Craig, reading the note]

it's good to know there's is still one man who can do what it takes.

[insert several shots of Bond deep-sixing Mallory, Q and MP]

Daniel Craig

is

Ian Fleming's James Bond

in

THUNDERBULL

And this time, James Bond takes . out . the . trash!

[insert Bond eating falafel on top of the entire MI6 office's ruins]
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sounds great, but the title is DEATH IN THE BULLDOG DAY AFTERNOON.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Indeed. :D
    And I hope the bulldog makes an appearance when we get a brief glimpse of Bond's new apartment. Perhaps he has it guarding the loo.

Okay, 2 more days to wrap up discussing the character of M.

By the way, I'll just throw out these questions for consideration: :>

~ Is it a good idea to have M be a woman once again, after Fiennes tenure ends?

~ How long do you think Fiennes will play M? Only during Craig's era? Which may be only 2 more films. Will he - or should he - continue with the next Bond actor?

~ Do you want to see M now go through his own story arc, over the course of the next films? Do you want that to be a part of the plot, or just a minor reference if anything at all?

~ Do you want this M to be married or stay single? (I do not think we know if he is married yet, not specifically).

It is Monday morning here. Off to a new work week. Hope all of you have a good week. Thanks for chipping in with further thoughts about M.

Cheers! :-bd
    Time to tackle these questions!

1.) I think Dench did very well in proving herself to be a worthy M, as she immediately shows in GE that she does have the balls to send a man out to die to get the mission over with. I wouldn't see a problem with introducing a new, female M at some point in the future, but now that Fiennes has taken the role, I'd prefer it to be male-driven for a while.

2.) Which leads me to this: even though Dench was introduced as the new M at the same time Brosnan was shown as the new Bond - going through his four films together - I could see Fiennes carrying it on after Craig departs. He is only 51 years old (currently), and if he really handles himself well in B24 and B25, I'd love to see him continue on with a brand new Bond.

3.) I'd prefer M to simply be M. We already know a good bit about the new M: the military background, previous job roles, his ability to fight, etc. Again, if little tidbits of information are revealed about M throughout the next two films, that's fine with me, but I don't want any more M-centric films to happen, especially after SF.

4.) Again, this really won't matter to me, because I'm indifferent about it if they handle it nicely. We see that M is married in CR (he's subtly shown in bed next to her when she gets the call about Bond signing in using her name and password) and we know that he has died by the time Bond breaks into M's flat in SF. If they want to show us more about M's life in a subtle manner like that, then I'll have no complaints. Just don't show me M having a barbecue with his family, then his wife is kidnapped, then he and Bond have to team up to get her back or something ridiculous like that. Keep M a main character without forcing him to play a huge role throughout the entirety of the adventure.
    Yes, Creasy47, you are I are mostly in agreement. Thanks for getting us started.

I wholly understand not wanting M to become a huge part of the plot or for us to be given a lot of glimpses into his family or personal life. I think Judi's M being married, and then widowed, was subtly and nicely handled. I'd like info done in a similar way to that, too. I would like snippets of info, from time to time.

If things go overboard, way OTT, like the BBQ kidnap scene you came up with, Creasy, we could have a Bond film turn into Taken 3 for pity's sake. :-O

Below are the current discussion questions, to put them on this new page:

1 ~ Is it a good idea to have M be a woman once again, after Fiennes tenure ends?

2 ~ How long do you think Fiennes will play M? Only during Craig's era? Which may be only 2 more films. Will he - or should he - continue with the next Bond actor?

3 ~ Do you want to see M now go through his own story arc, over the course of the next films? Do you want that to be a part of the plot, or just a minor reference if anything at all?

4 ~ Do you want this M to be married or stay single? (I do not think we know if he is married yet, not specifically).

I'll give more of my thoughts on these in a little while.
    Thanks!

My apologies, I should've posted them alongside my answers.

Glad we're in agreement, though! Honestly, they could tell us nothing about the new M, or everything, because if the latter is handled in the same fashion M's marriage (and the death of her husband) was, then I would never complain. Subtle hints to past experiences, his marriage (or lack thereof), kids, schooling, etc. can be done like that, giving the fans who chew up all of the pieces of dialogue even more backstory into the character.
    Oh no need to apologize, Creasy. You really don't have to post the questions every time; I just need to make sure they are on each page. :)

Here's to hoping for a smart rewrite, polish, and proper spirit now that the script is finalized for Bond 24. There will probably be a couple of changes when actually shooting, but at least the main story is not approved and on the page and shooting can begin in a few months. Exciting times ahead! And I sincerely hope that M plays a good supporting role, with interesting camaderie/conflict with Bond, and a glimpse every so often into his personal life or at least more of his personality.

But I rather hope that Mendes keeps six Bond posters on the wall of his study somewhere ~
    The Over The Top "Nooooooo!" do NOT go there again:
    Moonraker, Die Another Day, and A View To A Kill (it had its moments, but still some poorly judged scenes)

...and The Sublime:
    Casino Royale, The Spy Who Loved Me, Skyfall, and For Your Eyes Only.

Just my opinion, of course. B-)

Note: From Russia With Love is one of my favorites and perhaps should be on his wall, too. But I feel that Bond 24 is going in a lighter (hopefully slightly and balanced lighter) tone.
    Interesting questions!

The matter of M's gender should not be an issue for me. They need to write M as a great character and then cast the role accordingly. Male or female, doesn't really matter though I must admit that having the male M back in charge feels closer to Fleming.

I think Fiennes may very well be carried over to the next Bond. I doubt they will reboot; I believe they'll merely recast 007. Lee, Brown and Dench all got 2 or 3 Bonds under their command, so why not.

I'd prefer if M could 'simply' be M for a number of films. He may be pivotal to the story but I don't think M should get his own story arc or at least not anything beyond the flimsiest of arcs. I don't mind M fighting a bit or red tape over the course of a few films or being put under severe political pressure, but nothing personal any more, please.

Don't know about M's private life... I suppose I don't really need to know either. ;-)