The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

I think Timothy Dalton may possibly have the best voice of any human being ever. Morgan Freeman has got some serious competition, no?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    And go back a years ... Peter O'Toole, one of the most gorgeous and richest voices ever.

I love a lot about Dalton, including his voice; yes.
    Like it's just bonechillingly good.

Also I'm quite convinced Dalton's Bond is my favourite portrayal of a literary character ever. Maybe even my favourite portrayal of anyone period. Dalton is probably in my top ten actors of all time, probably along with Craig somewhere in the top 20, the only Bond to break my top 50.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Right now I can only think of two actors I like as much as Tim- Nathan Fillion & Kurt Russell. And Tim is a finer actor than both.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Right now I can only think of two actors I like as much as Tim- Nathan Fillion & Kurt Russell. And Tim is a finer actor than both.

Nice to see some love for Kurt Russell, surely one of the mose underatated actors of all time?
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 11,425
    Great little interview with the Dalts here. I hadn't seen it before, although sure most of you fellow Daltonites have.

• edited June 2016 Posts: 1,640
    Thanks for looking.......
    Getafix wrote:
    Just more of why he's my favourite Bond....
    The world just wasn't ready for him - ahead of his time!

Not to take anything away from DC, but Craig's been really lucky in terms of the era in which he's played Bond. There is a general taste for 'darkness' and more downbeat story lines that was not there 25 years ago. Dalts would have been in his element now. Of course, in my view, he was a damn good Bond in any era. Just a shame the mess came along with his third film when it did.
    I savour Tim's two, like fine meals I'm likely never to taste again.
    True. We should be grateful for what we got. I have always felt though that one more would have given us a rounder and more satisfying sense of Dalton's overall take on Bond. He's always seen by his critics as the dour and gloomy Bond, but that's way too simplistic. He enjoyed and appreciated the lighter side of the character and the films as much as any one and I think TLD shows that. I think Dalts himself said he wanted the next one to be a bit more lighthearted. I've always hated Goldeneye and not just because Brosnan's in it - but because I think it's just such a poor film in terms of plot, script, music, cast, 'stunts', styling and design. Not sure Dalton could have saved it, but he would certainly have made it a whole lot better. The scenes with Dench would have been amazing and made a lot more sense.
    Getafix wrote:
    I've always hated Goldeneye and not just because Brosnan's in it - but because I think it's just such a poor film in terms of plot, script, music, cast, 'stunts', styling and design. Not sure Dalton could have saved it, but he would certainly have made it a whole lot better.
    I personally don't think it needed saving, but (and I'm sorry here Pierce, you know I love you) Dalton would have made it better, yes.
    I think it was partly because I was what seemed to be one of the only Dalton fans around in 1995 that I was so disappointed by GE. But I actually went to see GE with a very open mind. I wasn't a huge fan of LTK and after 6 years I was just glad Bond was back. I think like most people in the UK I really had little or no clue who Brosnan was and had not even heard or Remmington Steel, let alone seen it. So although I was a Dalton fan, I didn't go in with any preconceptions about Brosnan. I just watched the movie and hated it. It still ranks as one of the worst movies I've ever paid good money to go and watch. I remember having nightmares afterwards where Bond had become a straight to video, bargain bucket franchise, which IMHO is practically what happened over the following 3 movies. Hearing that Babs had sacked Brozza and cast DC all those years later felt like the righting of a historical wrong. I know DC would never admit it, but his era feels more like a continuation of the Dalton approach. Although Dalts was better, obviously!
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Getafix wrote:
    I know DC would never admit it, but his era feels more like a continuation of the Dalton approach. Although Dalts was better, obviously!
    It goes,
    CR
    QOS
    TLD
    OHMSS
    LTK
    SF

;)
    Yes, there's some sense in that. It would certainly help explain the change between QoS and SF!
    Getafix wrote:
    Yes, there's some sense in that. It would certainly help explain the change between QoS and SF!
    You just have to deal with the difference in M's.....
    :-?
  • Getafix wrote:
    True. We should be grateful for what we got. I have always felt though that one more would have given us a rounder and more satisfying sense of Dalton's overall take on Bond. He's always seen by his critics as the dour and gloomy Bond, but that's way too simplistic. He enjoyed and appreciated the lighter side of the character and the films as much as any one and I think TLD shows that. I think Dalts himself said he wanted the next one to be a bit more lighthearted. I've always hated Goldeneye and not just because Brosnan's in it - but because I think it's just such a poor film in terms of plot, script, music, cast, 'stunts', styling and design. Not sure Dalton could have saved it, but he would certainly have made it a whole lot better. The scenes with Dench would have been amazing and made a lot more sense.

I say it every time, but feel sure that Dalton would of been a little too old for the part by that time. 1991 or 1992 would of been a good time for a last appearance, if not for the legal issues of the time but we never got to see it. Brosnan (never a favorite Bond) did well enough in '95 on his debut, and wouldn't have swapped with anyone else - even Dalton. As with Lazenby in OHMSS, I really couldn't have seen anyone else in the part for that particular release
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Tracy wrote:

Thanks for looking.......

A nice collection of TLD promotion. That's some shot of D'Abo on the 'You' magazine. :x Ebay, here I come...
    Interesting US TV review of LTK half way through this:

We're always told that no one liked Dalton at the time, so it's nice to know that there were people around who appreciated him even then.
    Getafix wrote:
    Interesting US TV review of LTK half way through this:

Siskel & Ebert! I remember seeing that on TV here!
    The comment immediately following was a good one- the movie is less about drugs, and more about Bond's personal revenge.
    GE was decent (Natalya , Onatopp , Boris & 006 were all good characters.....not a big fan of the ost....and people diss FYEOs ost , it was decent despite not Barry imo)

But yeah , I missed TD in GE and he should've done 2 more......hell if Moore could play him uintil almost 60 why not TD too lol ?
    Tracy wrote:
    GE was decent (Natalya , Onatopp , Boris & 006 were all good characters.....not a big fan of the ost....and people diss FYEOs ost , it was decent despite not Barry imo)

But yeah , I missed TD in GE and he should've done 2 more......hell if Moore could play him uintil almost 60 why not TD too lol ?

Seeing as Tim still looked great right into the millenium.

Seeing as Tim still looked great right into the millenium.
    Hell, aside from the occasional dodgy haircut, he looks great NOW! Did you see him in CHUCK?
    If they can reboot to the past in CR, then why not fast forward to the future with a return of the Dalton?
  • Getafix wrote:
    If they can reboot to the past in CR, then why not fast forward to the future with a return of the Dalton?

I had that idea, after Craig leaves, have a film or two with Bond at the end of his career, starring Dalton. Here's how I envisioned it playing out

PTS- Bond is on a mission trying to recover a stolen piece of technology and it seems to be going well; he's killing baddies, making quips, using gadgets, etc. But he's not as young as he used to be and he fucks up, he would've died if he wasn't saved by another agent in the nick of time. Turns out this isn't the first time this has happened, Bond's already lost his 00 status because the missions were too tough for him, and as much as he hates to do it, M fears that soon enough he'll have to let Bond go. It's also a bit like Indiana Jones 4, lots of people Bond loved are gone. Moneypenny got married and left ages ago, Q and Felix are dead, Tanner is gone, etc. He's a bit depressed and the job is really all he has left, so he manages to convince M to let him take on one last mission, for old times sake. M finds what seems like an easy enough job (but of course it isn't), so seeing how desperate Bond is, he gives him the mission. During this mission he meets some girl that he used to know (Kara or Pam?), and by the end of it he marries her and retires to Jamaica.

Afterwards they can just carry on as normal. It'll never happen but I think it'd be amazing if it did.
    Getafix wrote:

I had that idea, after Craig leaves, have a film or two with Bond at the end of his career, starring Dalton. Here's how I envisioned it playing out

PTS- Bond is on a mission trying to recover a stolen piece of technology and it seems to be going well; he's killing baddies, making quips, using gadgets, etc. But he's not as young as he used to be and he fucks up, he would've died if he wasn't saved by another agent in the nick of time. Turns out this isn't the first time this has happened, Bond's already lost his 00 status because the missions were too tough for him, and as much as he hates to do it, M fears that soon enough he'll have to let Bond go. It's also a bit like Indiana Jones 4, lots of people Bond loved are gone. Moneypenny got married and left ages ago, Q and Felix are dead, Tanner is gone, etc. He's a bit depressed and the job is really all he has left, so he manages to convince M to let him take on one last mission, for old times sake. M finds what seems like an easy enough job (but of course it isn't), so seeing how desperate Bond is, he gives him the mission. During this mission he meets some girl that he used to know (Kara or Pam?), and by the end of it he marries her and retires to Jamaica.

Afterwards they can just carry on as normal. It'll never happen but I think it'd be amazing if it did.

I think they already made that one, or at least most of it - called Skyfall wasn't it? ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,894
    An older Dalton:Bond returning to active duty...?

We all want it to happen. B-)

Not sure, you people are serious, but if so...
    why do you think, people will like his older version any better then the younger one?

Germanlady wrote:

Not sure, you people are serious, but if so...
    why do you think, people will like his older version any better then the younger one?

This is a rare occurrence. Who said anything about other people? I tend not to base my favourites on what other people like, but I think Dalton could still pull it off. But I would settle for Timothy Dalton reading Bond audio books, it would give me something Bond related to look forward to. I can't remember that feeling.