The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I
    Watching the last scene of Licence To Kill, it almost hurts to watch it knowing he's never going to be Bond again. About sums up my point of view on Tim.
    We think alike, you and I.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Good stuff, @Murdock! :-)

Thanks @DarthDimi! :D
    For ME, Bond was amazing in the 60's, fell a little in the 70's, came back in the 80's & reached its pinnacle in 87/89 with Dalton. The 90's were a good time, and the 2000's saw Craig & Co. bring it up to real speed once more. Still, IMHO, the Bond franchise will not see the pristine excellence of TLD or LTK ever again, unless new and more serious blood takes it over to recapture its past glory, and concentrate on the Fleming Bond & CREATING trends, rather than following/cashing in on them.
    Just an observation/comment from a dedicated Daltonite.
    Maybe the 1970s were the best decade for Bond, I went to see the releases of the time, but unfortunately not the 1960s before it. Ok, DAF was garbage, but you've got some stellar entries in there like LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM and MR. The 1980s were poor except for the two Dalton releases, and even then, no great fan of License to Kill, but Dalton himself made it work. At the other end of the decade, FYEO was a decent release and Roger Moore's truly last fine Bond adventure

The 1990s were poor except (well you only had the three releases) and I never understand all the hyperbole about Goldeneye, and TND was average at best. TWINE was my favorite and best of that decade
    Maybe the 1970s were the best decade for Bond
    Shocking. Positively shocking.
    :))
    I fail to see the humor in it. I thought the 1970s provided possibly the best decade for Bond. My own personal favorite LALD, then Golden Gun was great entertainment, SWLM was an above average release and Moonraker was great thrills and spills. Only DAF is the black cloud amongst them. But it's all about opinions
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    Maybe the 1970s were the best decade for Bond
    Shocking. Positively shocking.
    :))
    I would probably rank the 70s at the bottom of my list as far as Bond decades go, actually. For me, the 60s were magical, and we will never reach that level of Bond-insanity ever again. DN, the perfect origin. FRWL, the classic espionage film. GF, the film that really got the word spreading about 007 and introduced things that are now Bond traditions. TB, the film that really made the public go bananas as Bondmania blew up worldwide. YOLT, an exotic spectacle featuring space adventure, showing how far the franchise could be taken. OHMSS, a wonderful Bond character study of sorts with a great thrill ride full of its fair share of both laughs and tears. To me, this decade can never be topped.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, we all have our favorite decade, right?
    I loved TSWLM and really enjoyed LALD.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Whenever I'm feeling uncharacteristically mellow or feeling somewhat romantic the go to Bond film is definitely TLD.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TMWTGG alone is enough to bring the 70s down to a terrifying low for me. The 80s, by contrast offer four very strong film, strong enough to compensate for the middle one. The Daltons mark the culmination of quality.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    TMWTGG alone is enough to bring the 70s down to a terrifying low for me. The 80s, by contrast offer four very strong film, strong enough to compensate for the middle one. The Daltons mark the culmination of quality.

I tend to agree with that. While neither FYEO or OP are my favorites, they do have their fantastic moments, and along with Dalton's TLD and LTK, they all more than make up for AVTAK which isn't anything spectacular and at times very disturbing...
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    DarthDimi wrote:

I disagree with you I think its one of the best TSWLM and MR are the 70's worst and for the 80's they are all great except FYEO it bores me like TSWLM and MR. So does TB and YOLT but they are 60's.
    FYEO is for grown-ups. No wonder it bores you. It's about mind over muscle, wits over bullets, disarming over killing.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 496
    DarthDimi wrote:
    FYEO is for grown-ups. No wonder it bores you. It's about mind over muscle, wits over bullets, disarming over killing.

No some of it the bits in Italy are good its just that tiny little scene when he's on the beach and the bit when he's underwater before he gets dragged over the coral reef. Thats the only bit that bores me.
    The only bit what? You're not making any sense. The only bit you like or don't like? And if you so much as try and criticise the coral reef moment, you obviously haven't read Fleming yet.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    The only bit what? You're not making any sense. The only bit you like or don't like? And if you so much as try and criticise the coral reef moment, you obviously haven't read Fleming yet.

No I don't like the bit before the coral reef moment when they're underwater I love the FYEO film it's just that tiny moment and Mr Big tried to do that to Bond and Solitaire in the LALD novel. :D Sorry if I'm confusing you.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I honestly think FYEO is one of the most overrated films in the franchise. Definition of average for me.

Despite the film being praised for being serious I think the tone is all over the place. Also, big McGuffin was utterly pointless in the end (Bond destroys the ATAC and nobody gives a toss), Blofeld gets a crap death, etc.

There is good stuff in the film (like Melina and her little side story) but nothing spectacular imo and I think that in the end it evens out and creates a pretty average movie.

I also think Moore looks uncomfortable doing the serious stuff. I think his best performances are TSWLM, MR and OP, where he's completely at ease and he's enjoying himself.
    I honestly think FYEO is one of the most overrated films in the franchise. Definition of average for me.

Despite the film being praised for being serious I think the tone is all over the place. Also, big McGuffin was utterly pointless in the end (Bond destroys the ATAC and nobody gives a toss), Blofeld gets a crap death, etc.

There is good stuff in the film (like Melina and her little side story) but nothing spectacular imo and I think that in the end it evens out and creates a pretty average movie.

I also think Moore looks uncomfortable doing the serious stuff. I think his best performances are TSWLM, MR and OP, where he's completely at ease and he's enjoying himself.

He may not be dead though?

Nobody can survive falling down a smoke stack.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Despite my feeling towards the Moore era as a whole, I have grown fond of FYEO over the last few months. Ok, the tone is uneven, but I commend the film for trying to steer the series back towards the realms spy thrillers. And Carole Bouquet as Melina Havelock is one of my favourite Bond Girls. :x
    edited June 2013 Posts: 496
    Murdock wrote:

Nobody can survive falling down a smoke stack.

True, but what happens if he had a parachute no? I actually think he's alive and went to Dr. Alvarez before Jinx killed him and set up Quantum. =)) =)) =))
    edited June 2013 Posts: 16,330
    Now you're just spamming.
    Murdock wrote:
    Now you're just spamming.

Sorry let's get back on topic people Dalton is a great Bond both his movies are great ( Bond) anyone saw him in Dr. Who? He spat alot when he was on Gailafrey (?).
    @hullcityfan

This isn't getting back on topic. One more of these and there's another warning headed your way.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @hullcityfan

This isn't getting back on topic. One more of these and there's another warning headed your way.

Ok sorry but we do need to talk about Dalton again and I know I'll comment about Dalton later on the Doctor Who discussion page. :((
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @hullcityfan

Ok sorry but we do need to talk about Dalton again and I know I'll comment about Dalton later on the Doctor Who discussion page. :((

It's called the DALTONITES Thread for a reason. 8-|
    Murdock wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @hullcityfan

Yes thats why I said talk about DALTON.

Murdock wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @hullcityfan

Yes thats why I said talk about DALTON.
    My bad.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Sigh ... anyway -

I do go to TLD when I feel in a certain kind of yearning for a romantic, swashbuckling adventure Bond film. It's lovely, and I adore Timothy in this film.

I love FYEO, it is one of my favorites, so in general yes I think the 80's had good Bond films, AVTAK being an exception (though it has some good moments).
    My perspective keeps wanting to put FYEO in the 70's, though. Don't know why.

I guess TLD and LTK give Bond fans two very different choices: serious yet romantic, and fun and then the DARK, vengeful, violent and bloody one. I don't enjoy LTK much, but Sanchez's death is very satisfying indeed and played to perfection by Dalton.

I hated that episode of Doctor Who he was in.

John Simm, brilliant actor who did a great job as The Master before was completely wasted. It was almost heart breaking watching him running around eating homeless people and having random spasms.

The story was stupid (everyone becoming The Master), and the whole thing was so overly melodramatic. He knows he's not actually dying (just changing again), and he's still crying about how he doesn't want to go.

Dalton was the only good thing about that episode.