The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

1232425262729»

Comments

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    It's been several years since I've seen ZARDOZ @Revelator and @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. While not a *great* film (per say), it is visually striking. And that is what made such an impression on me.

As for Connery's wardrobe; to quote my late mother: "Dear Lord .......!" :))
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    edited February 9 Posts: 660
    It amuses me that everyone talks about the red nappy, but no one ever mentions this:

camelot-der-fluch-des-goldenen-schwertes-sword-of-the-valiant-gb-1984-H887-PA.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It amuses me that everyone talks about the red nappy, but no one ever mentions this:

camelot-der-fluch-des-goldenen-schwertes-sword-of-the-valiant-gb-1984-H887-PA.jpg

Miles o Keeffe stellar acting probably distracts from Sir Sean's Green Knight costume ;))
    Could've been worse. Imagine Sean painted green.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I actually have ZARDOZ on DVR. Seems like the perfect time to finally give it a watch.
    Go for it! And tell us what you think afterward.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I actually have ZARDOZ on DVR. Seems like the perfect time to finally give it a watch.

Please do. It's a crazy film, but somehow guarantees compelling viewing from start to finish.
  • Just watched Untouchables for millionth time. Brilliant film. Connery steals it. Just seeing him in brief scene with De Niro is pure gold. What charisma he had.
    I used to have Zardoz on VHS and an acquaintance borrowed it and loved it. That's long gone, but I'd love to own it again, but the DVD/Blu-ray copies go for extravagant prices. Always been more intrigued by Zardoz than a lot of the other things he'd done during that time.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Top Five Favourite Connery Films (non Bond):

1. Marnie
    2. The Hill
    3. The Offence
    4. The Russia House
    5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • edited February 12 Posts: 1,293
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Please do. It's a crazy film, but somehow guarantees compelling viewing from start to finish.

Zardoz is a cult movie. It needs a TV series like Westworld.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Very cool!!! A great honour to the man and his legacy. And a great honour to all the future winners.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This is not new, but I just stumbled across it; it's a fan made trailer for "The Rock" that really steers into the possibility of it being an unofficial Bond film . There is a nice touch , in the for of a note, at the end

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    “The Rock is actually a Bond film” feels like the new “Die Hard is actually a Christmas film”, which is getting so tiresome.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well, Die Hard is a Christmas film; go to sleep. 😏
  • mattjoesmattjoes Julie T.
    edited August 15 Posts: 7,018
    This is the Connery film I've not seen I'm most interested in watching. Looking to acquire it. Male of the Species (1969).

https://www.tiktok.com/@sir_sean_connery/video/7089735289509399813
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 15 Posts: 16,215
    I've not heard of that before. Impressive that ITV managed to get Caine and Connery for a TV play at their height.
    Yeah, plus Paul Scofield.

IIRC, Connery also starred in a 1957 TV play about a boxer, and Michael Caine had a small role in it. I don't recall the name at the moment, but I think that was their first project together. The footage is lost but the director had the audio recorded and later he donated it to whomever for preservation. The play was successful enough to have a US version made with Jack Palance.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes that's quite famous, plus Caine took part in an all-star BBC version of Hamlet around 64 or so I think, but this one I've just not happened to hear of before which I'm quite surprised about. Olivier narrated this too, so it was quite the thing. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 16 Posts: 3,138
    Plays were a big thing on British tv in the late '60s/early '70s, but yeh, ITV getting Caine and Connery must've been huge news - yet if I ever knew, I'd forgotten about it! This is almost like one of those glitch moments when two slightly off realties sync up with a bit of a lurch! Er, so I've heard...
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Somehow, it slipped my mind that Sean Connery would have been 94 today (August 25th). I was reminded however, during Q104.3's "Breakfast with The Beatles" radio show here in New York as they played this in Connery's honor.

Oddly, The Beatles' Help with James Bond Intro was never released in the UK.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The play you are thinking of is Requiem for a Heavyweight @mattjoes Actually the American version was produced and aired first, they were going to have Palance come to do it for the BBC and for whatever reason he didn't come. They had to recast and the directors wife suggested Sean for the role.

More info about it can be found https://bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27665619

Yes Caine also was in the production. At that link you can listen to the audio, sadly the video is lost.

Happy birthday Sir Sean.

Always liked this interview with Sean and how the interviewer was able to cover a lot of ground in a short interview. Sean seemed relaxed and enjoying the questions.

thedove wrote: »
    The play you are thinking of is Requiem for a Heavyweight @mattjoes Actually the American version was produced and aired first, they were going to have Palance come to do it for the BBC and for whatever reason he didn't come. They had to recast and the directors wife suggested Sean for the role.

More info about it can be found https://bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27665619

Yes Caine also was in the production. At that link you can listen to the audio, sadly the video is lost.

Thanks for setting the facts straight!

Can't listen to that audio in my country for now, but I'll find a way.
  • edited September 2 Posts: 1,703
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-says-sex-life-ruined-175656566.html

CalvinDyson-says-scorpions-arent-dangerous.....imo,it-depends....a-death-stalker-is-prolly-lethal
    mtm wrote: »
    I've not heard of that before. Impressive that ITV managed to get Caine and Connery for a TV play at their height.

I've seen this, its actually very good. Connery plays a character not too far off what he plays in The Offence, he physically looks similar too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Happy 60th anniversary to Goldfinnger <:-P

latest?cb=20121104174332