The SEAN CONNERY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I woke this morning (a Saturday) and knew nothing. I went about my usual business, watched Man City beat Sheffield. But I did open the MI6 Community boards to see if there was anything new on NTTD. THE BOARDS gave me the clues. The fact that this thread was at the top immediately told me something had happened.

RIP, Sir Sean Connery.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    In My Life - Sean Connery
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Heartwarming words from George there. And now he is the oldest Bond.

Heartwarming words from George there. And now he is the oldest Bond

Indeed, it's a lovely tribute.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Appropriately, today’s (Sunday, Nov 1st) “Breakfast with the Beatles” radio program in New York City, both opened and closed with tributes to Sir Sean Connery.

For those of you that may not know, Connery’s reading of the Beatles’ song “In My Life” comes from George Martin's 1998 “retirement” album of that name. For the album, Sir George Martin invited some of his “friends and heroes”, and people that he had always liked and admired” in a musical tribute to his career. Among the other stars taking part were Goldie Hawn, Robin Williams, Bobby McFerrin, Jeff Beck, Phil Collins and Celine Dion.

As for Connery, the liner notes say it all: “There are only a few voices in this world which are completely unmistakable. When you hear the voice of Sean Connery, you know who it is after one syllable. I wanted to finish (the album) with the poignant lyrics of “In My Life”, and I cannot think there is anybody else who can give them the meaning that Sean does. He is a hero not just to me, but to almost everyone I know.”

After opening the show with “Help” (the US version which has the opening riff of the Bond theme) and Macca’s “Mull of Kintyre” - in a nod to Connery’s Scottish roots - Sean’s reading of “In My Life” closed the program.
    Dwayne wrote: »

Appropriately, today’s (Sunday, Nov 1st) “Breakfast with the Beatles” radio program in New York City, both opened and closed with tributes to Sir Sean Connery.

For those of you that may not know, Connery’s reading of the Beatles’ song “In My Life” comes from George Martin's 1998 “retirement” album of that name. For the album, Sir George Martin invited some of his “friends and heroes”, and people that he had always liked and admired” in a musical tribute to his career. Among the other stars taking part were Goldie Hawn, Robin Williams, Bobby McFerrin, Jeff Beck, Phil Collins and Celine Dion.

As for Connery, the liner notes say it all: “There are only a few voices in this world which are completely unmistakable. When you hear the voice of Sean Connery, you know who it is after one syllable. I wanted to finish (the album) with the poignant lyrics of “In My Life”, and I cannot think there is anybody else who can give them the meaning that Sean does. He is a hero not just to me, but to almost everyone I know.”

After opening the show with “Help” (the US version which has the opening riff of the Bond theme) and Macca’s “Mull of Kintyre” - in a nod to Connery’s Scottish roots - Sean’s reading of “In My Life” closed the program.

That's a nice tribute. Bond and the Beatles had several common, ahem, bonds in the '60s, it just seems natural. I only caught a little of my area's Breakfast with the Beatles show today, so I'm not sure if they did anything similar.

On a separate note, I love Mull of Kintyre. I didn't even know of its existence until I bought a Wings greatest his album and was stunned to find it was one of the biggest hits overseas but I don't think it was ever released as a single here. Underrated gem that one.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    @BT3366. “Mull of Kintyre” was released as a single in the US in 1977. Unfortunately, it was the B-side to “Girls School.” In the UK the song’s positions were reversed. And yes, the bag pipes always get me.

Another Connery/Beatles’ (solo) connection they could have played today was George Harrison’s “Dream Away” (from his 1982 “Gone Troppo” album) as that was the closing credits song for Time Bandits.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,376
    Dwayne wrote: »

Its a great reading of the song, I often listen to it. In My Life is also one of my favorite Beatles songs. With Sir Sean's passing his version of the song feels even more moving.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited November 2020 Posts: 6,733
    I was reading the story that writer Brian Koppelman told about Connery, that was later said to be likely about Brett Ratner and the unmade film Josiah's Canon. That title was instantly familiar, even though I hadn't thought about it in years. I now remember reading about the project back in the day, and seeing it listed on Connery's IMDb page. Took me back fifteen years. The premise sounded interesting; I wish the film had been made.

Not that there aren't many Connery films to watch already, it's just that after Entrapment, which is a favorite of mine, it would have been great to see another heist film, even if the tone was perhaps going to be different. But I do love Entrapment. The actors and their fantastic chemistry; the gorgeous locations; the elegant score by Christopher Young, combining orchestra and electronics. Great entertainment. In fact, I might watch that before a Bond film. I'm more in the mood for it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,962
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I was reading the story that writer Brian Koppelman told about Connery, that was later said to be likely about Brett Ratner and the unmade film Josiah's Canon. That title was instantly familiar, even though I hadn't thought about it in years. I now remember reading about the project back in the day, and seeing it listed on Connery's IMDb page. Took me back fifteen years. The premise sounded interesting; I wish the film had been made.

Not that there aren't many Connery films to watch already, it's just that after Entrapment, which is a favorite of mine, it would have been great to see another heist film, even if the tone was perhaps going to be different.

His story was very interesting and entertaining, yes! Ratner doesn't come out of it well. It kind of saddens me that Connery was planning on making that though, I'd have liked to seen him go for some meatier stuff rather than the slightly silly films he ended his career with.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Top three Connery films:

1 THE NAME OF THE ROSE
    2 GOLDFINGER
    3 FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 2,896
    Not that there aren't many Connery films to watch already, it's just that after Entrapment, which is a favorite of mine, it would have been great to see another heist film, even if the tone was perhaps going to be different.

Then you might want to watch The Anderson Tapes (1971). A heist film featuring Connery and future Bond villain Christopher Walken.
    mtm wrote: »
    I'd have liked to seen him go for some meatier stuff rather than the slightly silly films he ended his career with.

Agreed. Most of the films he made during the 1990s were lightweight and/or frivolous. I would have loved to have seen Connery play King Lear onscreen--he would have been perfect for the part. He eventually grew disgusted with Hollywood and quit making movies, but had he been willing to work for less there might have been some great parts for him in foreign and independent films. Nevertheless, I can't begrudge his desire for a comfortable retirement.
    The Legend of Sean Connery will continue forever on screen thankfully. RIP Sean! ^:)^
    Revelator wrote: »

Then you might want to watch The Anderson Tapes (1971). A heist film featuring Connery and future Bond villain Christopher Walken.
    Thank you for the recommendation. I have seen the film. I like it, it's got an interesting concept and some enjoyably quirky touches (the old ladies being robbed, the kid, Ralph Meeker's policeman), but as far as Lumet-Connery colaborations go, I prefer The Hill and Family Business.

Thank you for the recommendation. I have seen the film. I like it, it's got an interesting concept and some enjoyably quirky touches (the old ladies being robbed, the kid, Ralph Meeker's policeman), but as far as Lumet-Connery colaborations go, I prefer The Hill and Family Business.

I was wondering if anybody else liked Family Business. Not a great film by any stretch, but an interesting one and very much worth the watch. I saw it the weekend it came out in '89.

It's not so much about plot but about 3 different types of actors with Connery, Dustin Hoffman and Matthew Broderick as father, son and grandson. Not unlike earlier in the year when Connery played Harrison Ford's dad although being only 12 years his senior, he plays Hoffman's dad and Hoffman is only 7 years younger than Connery. Connery is in great form as the rascally patriarch Jesse McMullen.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    There's been instances of Dustin Hoffman getting cast in roles that were younger than his actual age because he appeared much younger than he was. In THE GRADUATE his character is 22 even though he was actually 30. In RAIN MAN he's supposed to be in his late 30s as Tom Cruise's older brother, but was actually 50. With FAMILY BUSINESS they're definitely playing up the fact that Connery looks much older than his actual age, which is what was also done with THE LAST CRUSADE.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

Heartwarming words from George there. And now he is the oldest Bond.

Class act all the way, George.
    BT3366 wrote: »

I was wondering if anybody else liked Family Business. Not a great film by any stretch, but an interesting one and very much worth the watch. I saw it the weekend it came out in '89.

It's not so much about plot but about 3 different types of actors with Connery, Dustin Hoffman and Matthew Broderick as father, son and grandson. Not unlike earlier in the year when Connery played Harrison Ford's dad although being only 12 years his senior, he plays Hoffman's dad and Hoffman is only 7 years younger than Connery. Connery is in great form as the rascally patriarch Jesse McMullen.
    I posted more detailed thoughts on the film on the previous page. This was the last Connery film I saw before he passed away, which was kind of fitting in certain ways.

---

Here's an interesting article detailing a film project that didn't come to fruition: an adaptation of the novel Golf in the Kingdom, which would have been presumably directed by Clint Eastwood, and would've starred Sean Connery.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/nostalgia/1696414/sir-sean-connery-clint-eastwood-and-the-fife-golf-movie-that-never-was/

It didn't happen in the end, though another film adaptation was made, with different people.
    BT3366 wrote: »

I posted more detailed thoughts on the film on the previous page. This was the last Connery film I saw before he passed away, which was kind of fitting in certain ways.

---

Here's an interesting article detailing a film project that didn't come to fruition: an adaptation of the novel Golf in the Kingdom, which would have been presumably directed by Clint Eastwood, and would've starred Sean Connery.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/nostalgia/1696414/sir-sean-connery-clint-eastwood-and-the-fife-golf-movie-that-never-was/

It didn't happen in the end, though another film adaptation was made, with different people.

Great, unheard story, thanks for sharing it. Think of that pairing of legends. I'm really surprised Connery never did a golf film or even a documentary given his passion for the game.

I bet Sir Sean could not wait for this interview to end
    John Cork (who needs no introduchttps://jamesbond007.se/eng/artiklar/john_cork_sean_connery_part_iition if you have ever watched a Bond DVD or Blu-Ray and noticed who produced the documentaries) tells the story of meeting Sean Connery here.

The most interesting part:
    Me: “So, Tom Mankiewicz said he thought you would have kept playing Bond if Cubby and Harry had been willing to make you a partner.”

Sean: “Hmmm. I don’t know.” Connery had been quoted to that effect numerous times.)

Me: I pressed. “But wasn’t that what you were trying to get when there were all those negotiations before you did You Only Live Twice?”

Sean: “I was trying to get them to hire Terence back,” he said, a story I hadn’t heard before.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Wow, I didn't know of that. I've only known that he has a great fondness for Young in a way I haven't seen him express for any other filmmaker behind Bond.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 2,896
    It was a surprise to me too. It make sense that Connery would want Young back, since Young played such a large role in building Connery as Bond. But from the producers' perspective, I can see why they wanted to try different directors in the aftermath of TB.
    55 anniversary TB , another milestone
  • A book on Goldfinger??? Another edition to my Bond book collection!!!
    For those interested in a long read (and a bit of Google translate if you don't understand Norwegian), here's an article on NRK.no, about an incredible story from the 70's, featuring moonshine, a bunker like room full of weapons, the Norwegian Intelligence Service, and to a lesser extent Ian McShane and Sean Connery.