The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

The way he says "lovely scene, lovely young actor" at 6.50 makes me think of Donald Trump.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Love the 'Eggsy' South London accent at 3:38 - 3:43. They should get him for Kingsman 3.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I’ve always been saying he should be there in the Kingsman franchise as a senior Kingsman agent. Heck, he was in the comics as one of the kidnapped celebrities and fought alongside Patrick Stewart as he helped the Kingsman agents in the climactic finale.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    It'd be cool to see him or Dalton as the new Arthur in Kingsman 3. I think they missed a trick not getting Brosnan for Jack Daveport's role in the first one, go for the Drew Barrymore in Scream effect.
    Will watch this tomorrow as pushed for time.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Exactly..get working on that Bond den..wasting time in here ..tut tut... ;)
    barryt007 wrote: »

Exactly..get working on that Bond den..wasting time in here ..tut tut... ;)

Lol! More about a mad busy day looking after poorly kids. Gonna chase up the Architect tomorrow as that went out the window too today.
    Bravo !!

And i hope your kids are ok my friend .
    Bravo !!

Their getting there thanks Barry. I will even update you all tomorrow about the latest on the Bond project as I learn it myself.
    It'd be cool to see him or Dalton as the new Arthur in Kingsman 3. I think they missed a trick not getting Brosnan for Jack Daveport's role in the first one, go for the Drew Barrymore in Scream effect.
    I'm glad they didn't. A Bond getting killed in Kingsman would've not sat well with the image Kingsman fans would have regarding the Bond fans. It'd be an argument winner for them if it came to that versus issue.
    Bravo !!

Their getting there thanks Barry. I will even update you all tomorrow about the latest on the Bond project as I learn it myself.

Actually Barry007? Whatever I learn tomorrow? I might save it for James Bond day on October 5th! Incase we getting nothing on Bond 25?!!! Lol!
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Bravo !!

I look forward to it and glad they are ok !
    Bravo !!

Actually Barry007? Whatever I learn tomorrow? I might save it for James Bond day on October 5th! Incase we getting nothing on Bond 25?!!! Lol!

Yes even better !!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I'm glad they didn't. A Bond getting killed in Kingsman would've not sat well with the image Kingsman fans would have regarding the Bond fans. It'd be an argument winner for them if it came to that versus issue.

I also thought Davenport gave a good Bondlike performance.

Maybe he could have made a decent Bond too. I think so, anyway.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I also thought Davenport gave a good Bondlike performance.

Maybe he could have made a decent Bond too. I think so, anyway.
    I thought so. He was very good in that small role. In fact, that whole scene (including the introduction of the sexy Gazelle & smooth Valentine in combination with Jackman's eerie score) is the highlight of the film for me. An incredible jaw dropping couple of minutes in the theatre upon first watch, capped by the presence of Mark Hamill.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837

I just think it would have been a fun way to play with expectations in the same way the opening scene of Scream did. Oh look it's James Bond, surely he's going to have a big role- oh, he got sliced in half. Would've been a fun way to set up the whole anything goes anyone can die angle of the first one imo. And how badass would it have been to see Pierce in action just for that little scene, reminding us of how cool he was as Bond.

And I don't see them as competing personally. I think the whole point of Kingsman is that it's a film made for Bond fans, filling a gap in the market for a certain type of movie that's been there since DAD. A deliberate Roger Moore throwback. Kingsman is a film for spy junkies in the same way Scream was a film for slasher nuts and Kick Ass was a film for comic book fans imo. Not that other people can't enjoy them mind as they're fun films in themselves but I think the people who get the most out of them are the ones who love a bit of Roger Moore.

But then I find the idea of "fandoms" and everything being a competition between them pretty stupid. The arguments I see in some comment sections about Marvel vs DC for example amaze me. Who cares. They're movie franchises, it's not sport. Nobody "wins". They can coexist. A good film is a good film, a bad film is a bad film. Obviously I have a preference for Bond films because of the nostalgia they hold for me but I don't approach other spy films thinking "I hope this is crap so everyone thinks Bond is the best" as some fans seem to. I've read comments on here for example from people who outright refused to give the Bourne movies a chance and those first three are brilliant.
    A few us think like that, @thelivingroyale. I don't side with a particular group but a quality that captures my liking. I like both DC and Marvel, or Bond, M:I, Kingsman, UNCLE and whatsoever. But, since my main loving of all the franchises out there lie with Bond as he's on top of it all (I can't help it, I'm wired to champion Bond since it has been my childhood hero, so I feel obliged to stay with him and the franchise if it comes to a last straw), I wouldn't truly give them the benefit of the argument victory let's just say they cut Brosnan in half in Kingsman.

I'd find those general claims that "Kingsman is better" and "They chose a weak Bond anyway, his movies sucked so he got killed easily" (tell me that isn't so with the image of Brosnan overall. Tell me that isn't the case with the majority on this forums alone) which will, eventually, sooner or later, upset people like me.

Remember the times when Bourne was the most popular hero and "better than Bond"? Those weren't the best times to be a Bond fan, really.
    Careful with spoilers in here peeps,this isnt the Kingsman thread.
    It’s almost three years since the release of that film, @barryt007, I’m sure those who have had interest in the film might have seen it by now. ;)
    It’s almost three years since the release of that film, @barryt007, I’m sure those who have had interest in the film might have seen it by now. ;)

No CD i mean BOTH Kingsmans,someone might slip up ,and i've pre-ordered it on SKY haha.

No CD i mean BOTH Kingsmans,someone might slip up ,and i've pre-ordered it on SKY haha.
    If you haven’t seen either, @barryt007, don’t expect a DAD version or Bond from it. Expect to see Spy Kids with adult characters as well as blood and gore instead. That’s how it compares. It’s less Bond and more Robert Rodriguez.

If you haven’t seen either, @barryt007, don’t expect a DAD version or Bond from it. Expect to see Spy Kids with adult characters as well as blood and gore instead. That’s how it compares. It’s less Bond and more Robert Rodriguez.

Oh no,i've seen the first one ,and loved it..

Oh no,i've seen the first one ,and loved it..
    Loved it, too. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

There's an active argument between Kingsman and Bond fans about what is better? Oy vey, that's hilarious. From a simple objective standpoint, Kingsman has no life without Bond, so I don't think Kingsman loyals have much to stand on.

But more importantly, why the hell do wars have to be spurred around such trivial things just because one finds another more entertaining?
  • barryt007 wrote: »

I think the second one was more of its own thing because of the American setting and the focus on action over actual spying, but the first one was very James Bond imo. A violent self aware take on Bond but all the elements were there. Not so much the spy school stuff but the bits where Harry was investigating Valentine oozed classic Bond and the finale was like YOLT/TSWLM/MR on acid.

I read a review the other day that summed it up quite well. The first one was a homage to the old Bond movies, the sequel was a homage to the first Kingsman. Which is why I think the second one, while still a great film that I really liked, didn't resonate as much for me. The first Kingsman is the only film outside of the actual Bond films that's managed to capture that same sense of nostalgia and magic that the Bond movies give me. Hope they get back that feeling for the next one but as long as the overall quality is still good I'd be happy.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Great to see Pierce looking so well and happy. Great interview.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Going to see The Foreigner this Friday, will report back with my thoughts once I do!
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Going to see The Foreigner this Friday, will report back with my thoughts once I do!

Looking forward to hearing what you think @Creasy47. I still can't find any info about a UK release date for some reason, which I think is kind of ironic given that it's set in England but oh well. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long and it's looking like it'll be worth the wait.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Looking forward to hearing what you think @Creasy47. I still can't find any info about a UK release date for some reason, which I think is kind of ironic given that it's set in England but oh well. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long and it's looking like it'll be worth the wait.

Weird, I checked on IMDB and they have a couple dozen countries listed, but not the UK. As you said, you'd figure with it being set in England it would've already had a release date, and definitely one before the U.S's release on the 13th.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I watched a little film featuring Pierce the other night called Remember Me. I can't recommend it, its very melodramatic and cynical, the ending was extremely ill conceived, but it does have an interesting performance from Pierce, albeit in a small role.

He acts with a kind of Brooklyn/Boston hybrid drawl. Its patchy, effective at some points but not in others.

There is one good scene, when he gives his son (played by Robert Pattinson) a dressing down in a board room and Mr Broz acts his socks off in it.