The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

peter wrote: »
    @noSolaceleft, Fleming described Bond as being similar in appearance to Hoagy Carmichael, although with a cruel mouth... I would say it’s Dalton, not Brosnan, that best fits this description (down to the comma of hair that falls over his right eye— especially in TLD).

I also happen to think that Dalton locked the most "Bondian" but I was talking about the figure.
    Flemings Bond is quite a toothpick in the novels, trained but still. Pierce in GE fits that description quite well in my eyes.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Eon making a Bond film separate from the official timeline depicting Brozza in his final adventure as 007? ;)
    Exactly what I had in mind. 'Battle of the Bonds' redux. Let's settle it once and for all. One distributed by WB and the other by Apple.
    :))

Good point, @bondjames! Brozza's age may require an easy operating system to employ in his use. :D
    Craig's getting up there too @ClarkDevlin. That's why I am reminded of the 1983 saga. Two old timers battling it out for supremacy. The marketing hype would be fantastic, and it would help to boost the brand. Brozza gets to be sent off in style (atoning for the 2004 disgrace), as does Craig (atoning in his case for 2015). The winner between Warner/Apple gets the global distribution rights for the next decade. Come on EON. Get on it!
    That's a brilliant idea! Go, Eon! :D

If that happened then,as with last time,i will always back the official EON Bond,so I would be firmly in the Daniel Craig camp.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Eon making a Bond film separate from the official timeline depicting Brozza in his final adventure as 007? ;)
    Exactly what I had in mind. 'Battle of the Bonds' redux. Let's settle it once and for all. One distributed by WB and the other by Apple.

Good point, @bondjames! Brozza's age may require an easy operating system to employ in his use. :D
    Craig's getting up there too @ClarkDevlin. That's why I am reminded of the 1983 saga. Two old timers battling it out for supremacy. The marketing hype would be fantastic, and it would help to boost the brand. Brozza gets to be sent off in style (atoning for the 2004 disgrace), as does Craig (atoning in his case for 2015). The winner between Warner/Apple gets the global distribution rights for the next decade. Come on EON. Get on it!

If that happened then,as with last time,i will always back the official EON Bond,so I would be firmly in the Daniel Craig camp.
    I'd back the Bond I identify with the most. ;)

Of the two films we've had in 1983, in my opinion Never Say Never Again is superior to Octopussy in a fair amount of distance.

Of the two films we've had in 1983, in my opinion Never Say Never Again is superior to Octopussy in a fair amount of distance.

Eeeeeh are you mad ??!!

Benster ,can you believe this ?? @Benny

Eeeeeh are you mad ??!!

Benster ,can you believe this ?? @Benny
    Eenie meenie miny moe. ;)
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I would back Craig (being the EON Bond) and I found OP the far superior and fresher product to NSNA.
    NSNA = Looks better, narrates better.
    OP = Sounds better, but is awfully depicted, imo.

Blasphemy !!!!

Blasphemy !!!!
    Now you know how I feel when someone slams Brosnan, or the superman Bond.

Blasphemy !!!!

I don't slam any Bond,but if I was forced to ,it would be Dalton.

Blasphemy !!!!

I wasn't referring to you as the one who slams them, @barryt007. Just an example of everybody philosophizing over their opinion against my two aforementioned subjects and insisting how right they are, while the other party is wrong. The way you feel prejudiced against Octopussy's detractors is the very way I feel about Brosnan/Super-Bond detractors.

Blasphemy !!!!

I wasn't referring to you as the one who slams them, @barryt007. Just an example of everybody philosophizing over their opinion against my two aforementioned subjects and insisting how right they are, while the other party is wrong. The way you feel prejudiced against Octopussy's detractors is the very way I feel about Brosnan/Super-Bond detractors.

Oh I knew that,no problem.
    I also spend my time defending those 2 Bonds in particular ;)

Blasphemy !!!!

For you, my friend, I'll find a few positive things to say for Octopussy. ;)

Well, truth to be told, it's the cinematography and that cheap TV movie look about the film that bothers me most. Otherwise, I've no problem with the acting or the plot. I also love General Orlov a lot as a villain. He was the Ourumov prototype.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339

Blasphemy !!!!

Well, truth to be told, it's the cinematography and that cheap TV movie look about the film that bothers me most. Otherwise, I've no problem with the acting or the plot. I also love General Orlov a lot as a villain. He was the Ourumov prototype.

That's interesting because I feel the same way about NSNA ,re the cheap TV look...
    With OP I love the Indian scenes and the Monsoon palace,Kamal,Orlov ,Mishka & Grishka and Gobinda,and Barry's score is brilliant.
    (Mind you,i will always defend OP as it is the first Bond film I saw at the cinema,so its my personal Bond film.)

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,984

Interesting. The thing is, NSNA was a remake of TB, so it had a very good blueprint to work off (and it managed to make itself look like a piss-poor copy of the original). OP at least runs with an original story that happens to be plausible and genuinely threatening. I also enjoy the action more in OP, with the non-stop top-notch stunts. Plus, they avoid doing the cliche "invincible henchman" thing that NSNA does with Count Lippe; the fight's funny but terrible. And the chemistry was just so much better in OP in my opinion.

Can't agree with you NSNA looking better, though. The "cheap TV movie look" you claim OP has is exactly what I think of NSNA, actually.

As for sounding better, no doubt. Barry's score in OP isn't one of his best but easily tops NSNA. And the theme song contest goes to OP in a landslide also. The only area that I find NSNA compares to OP in is the humour.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom

What a dream scenario!

Blasphemy !!!!

That's interesting because I feel the same way about NSNA ,re the cheap TV look...
    With OP I love the Indian scenes and the Monsoon palace,Kamal,Orlov ,Mishka & Grishka and Gobinda,and Barry's score is brilliant.
    (Mind you,i will always defend OP as it is the first Bond film I saw at the cinema,so its my personal Bond film.)
    I'd like to think it's a matter of perspective. Actual perspective, not philosophical. I agree that NSNA has the cheap TV look, as well. But, there's something to it that's slightly more theatrical than OP, I feel. The scenes, fight choreography, action, no doubt they're terrific in OP. And the Indian segments are definitely my favorite along with the Cuban PTS. It's the Berlin bit that throws the film to that very cheap look for me. I wish Glen used the exotic tricks used in TSWLM and MR.

I've got to disagree about Barry, though. In my opinion, OP is his most tired score I really can't memorize a musical cue about it, whereas in AVTAK and the rest of the Moore films he did, those do have specific tracks I could recite. Just me, though.

Interesting. The thing is, NSNA was a remake of TB, so it had a very good blueprint to work off (and it managed to make itself look like a piss-poor copy of the original). OP at least runs with an original story that happens to be plausible and genuinely threatening. I also enjoy the action more in OP, with the non-stop top-notch stunts. Plus, they avoid doing the cliche "invincible henchman" thing that NSNA does with Count Lippe; the fight's funny but terrible. And the chemistry was just so much better in OP in my opinion.

Can't agree with you NSNA looking better, though. The "cheap TV movie look" you claim OP has is exactly what I think of NSNA, actually.

As for sounding better, no doubt. Barry's score in OP isn't one of his best but easily tops NSNA. And the theme song contest goes to OP in a landslide also. The only area that I find NSNA compares to OP in is the humour.
    There's no shadow of doubt TB is light years and thousands of galaxies far better than NSNA. TB is James Bond Extravaganza at its very best. However, I've got to disagree with you about the strong henchman cliche. I actually like that aspect about the Bond films. OP did have that sort of henchman with Gobinda, though. He recreates that famous Oddjob crushing a villain's cheating instrument in his hand. He was invincible alright, it's just that Bond didn't allow himself to be captured by him. Otherwise, he knocked him out with one judo chop on the neck in that hotel scene.

I also agree that OP handles the action better. It's the cinematography that lets it down. For me, at least.

NSNA's soundtrack wasn't meant to be a Bond soundtrack, to tell you the truth. I mean, Michel Legrand obviously could have used the guitar riff trick and the fanfare to create a generic Bond-like spy theme, but they all chose not to. I feel like, as Connery also had a say in the matter who also brought Legrand in by himself, the composer recreated the feel of his 1968 film, The Thomas Crown Affair (and the film surely has that spirit if you compare the two) as Connery awfully regretted turning the latter down back then. NSNA was two birds with a stone for Connery.

Regarding the locations, I find myself loving the sunny French Riviera and the seaside more than oriental or cloudy industrial European locales. So, that also has to have an impact on me, perhaps.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,189
    For me it would be OP every time.

Saw NSNA again a few weeks ago on TV. It's got it's moments but its a fairly dull film and looks considerably less glamorous than the Eon counterparts.

I remember I hated it when I first saw it in its entirety a few years ago. In fact I stuck GE on afterwards as an antidote.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    If such a hypothetical matchup were to occur, it would be a far more difficult decision for me than it would have been in 1983. After all, the official series no longer has Moore, Barry, Maibum, Maxwell, or Llewelyn.

I could easily swing for a hypothetical rogue Brozza comeback (I can't believe I just wrote that!) if the official entry were a follow on story from SP and if the rogue entry featured Dench and Samantha Bond.
    If such a hypothetical matchup were to occur, it would be a far more difficult decision for me than it would have been in 1983. After all, the official series no longer has Moore, Barry, Maibum, Maxwell, or Llewelyn.

I could easily swing for a hypothetical rogue Brozza comeback (I can't believe I just wrote that!) if the official entry were a follow on story from SP and if the rogue entry featured Dench and Samantha Bond.

I dont think,(and i would be disgusted if she did) that Dame Judi would betray the official series,or Samantha for that matter.

I dont think,(and i would be disgusted if she did) that Dame Judi would betray the official series,or Samantha for that matter.

Or do you mean Brosnan replacing Craig in the EON canon rather than a direct rival ? (Which would never happen).

Or do you mean Brosnan replacing Craig in the EON canon rather than a direct rival ? (Which would never happen).
    I mean if there was ever a rogue Bond film starred Brosnan, Dench and Samantha Bond I would have a hard time dismissing it out of hand, if it was a light hearted film in the vein of the earlier entries and had a killer plot.

As I've said many times before, my loyalties are to the character and the character only, so I wouldn't care who made it as long as it was half decent. I'd go for the one I preferred. In the past it would have been different due to the legendary team involved.

Anyway, my original premise wasn't that a hypothetical Brozza film would be a rogue entry, but rather another official entry, just distributed by Amazon.
  • mattjoesmattjoes People's Republic of Matjoeguay

I could easily swing for a hypothetical rogue Brozza comeback (I can't believe I just wrote that!)

The Brozza works in mysterious ways.

I mean if there was ever a rogue Bond film starred Brosnan, Dench and Samantha Bond I would have a hard time dismissing it out of hand, if it was a light hearted film in the vein of the earlier entries and had a killer plot.

As I've said many times before, my loyalties are to the character and the character only, so I wouldn't care who made it as long as it was half decent. I'd go for the one I preferred. In the past it would have been different due to the legendary team involved.

Anyway, my original premise wasn't that a hypothetical Brozza film would be a rogue entry, but rather another official entry, just distributed by Amazon.
    It appears that has flown over the head of many other people there. A rogue Bond film is no longer a possibility. Not until 2049 at the earliest.

Like @bondjames, however, my loyalty is to the character and the plot that captures my liking. I would welcome yet another Brosnan entry set 15 years after the events of his latest appearance.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I couldn't have said it any better about the first paragraph, @bondjames. If Bond should show any emotion, it has to be precisely how Connery played it out when he saw Kerim's corpse, witnessed the death of Tilly and the merely hidden horror in his eyes, seeing Paula lying dead on the chair with a sign of regret and remorse on his face, yet he skirted it off, the aforementioned Moore scene with Anya, his irritation when he saw Tibett dead... And of course, the beach scene in GoldenEye is as far as emotionally as it has to go in a Bond. That scene was perfectly done without overdoing it, unlike in the Craig films where he is moved by the death of every person he'd grown to like, or finds it easy to fall in love.

Regarding the ice para-surfing scene, honestly I understand your reflective views on the dreadfulness of that scene. The computer generated imagery was awfully executed in it they could've gotten by far better people to undertake that task. However, regarding how the scene played out on paper, keep in mind that at the time, films like that were the ones that brought money, excitement and public interest. The likes of xXx with Van Diesel for instance being out and about, painting themselves as "cooler than Bond" and vast amount of audience buying it, Eon couldn't let that sink in. Bond is the granddaddy of the cinematic secret agents so he always has to be the best, hence the overt-superman template and the Marvel-like comic book atmosphere of Die Anoher Day.

@ClarkDevlin +1 on your point about Bond showing emotion.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,189
    DAD definitely came at a time when filmmakers seemed to be experimenting with "bigger" cgi effects and sequences. I've previously sighted The Mummy Returns as an example of equally awful computer game style graphics - made only a year before DAD.

On the other hand, the first Lord of the Rings film was also made in 2001 - an example of how to do GOOD CG.

Regarding the beach scene, i do like the music but it is a bit too "on the nose" in terms of its dialogue.

"How can you act like this? How can you be so cold?"
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    DAD definitely came at a time when filmmakers seemed to be experimenting with "bigger" cgi effects and sequences. I've previously sighted The Mummy Returns as an example of equally awful computer game style graphics - made only a year before DAD.

On the other hand, the first Lord of the Rings film was also made in 2001 - an example of how to do GOOD CG.
    I remember those earlier Mummy films. Awful CGI, especially in the one with The Rock (Dwayne Johnson). I cringe as I recall it. It's a fine line with CGI.

What I find a little unforgivable is that the producers didn't realize that Bond films are renown for doing things for real. It's part of what makes the series so special. The fact that I knew that in 2002 and they apparently didn't is somewhat shocking. Surely they could have put Tamahori in check. The same goes for some of the visual effects in the PTS of SP, which are comparably bad by today's standards. I realize series like Kingsman are taking CGI based action to new levels, but I seriously hope that the producers don't feel the need/pressure to amp it up to compete. That is not the space where Bond should go imho.

Perhaps I'm just getting old. Have you noticed that as we age we inevitably criticize newer music as not being up to the same standards as the past. I've noticed that with every generation. Perhaps it's the same with films.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I couldn't have said it any better about the first paragraph, @bondjames. If Bond should show any emotion, it has to be precisely how Connery played it out when he saw Kerim's corpse, witnessed the death of Tilly and the merely hidden horror in his eyes, seeing Paula lying dead on the chair with a sign of regret and remorse on his face, yet he skirted it off, the aforementioned Moore scene with Anya, his irritation when he saw Tibett dead... And of course, the beach scene in GoldenEye is as far as emotionally as it has to go in a Bond. That scene was perfectly done without overdoing it, unlike in the Craig films where he is moved by the death of every person he'd grown to like, or finds it easy to fall in love.

Regarding the ice para-surfing scene, honestly I understand your reflective views on the dreadfulness of that scene. The computer generated imagery was awfully executed in it they could've gotten by far better people to undertake that task. However, regarding how the scene played out on paper, keep in mind that at the time, films like that were the ones that brought money, excitement and public interest. The likes of xXx with Van Diesel for instance being out and about, painting themselves as "cooler than Bond" and vast amount of audience buying it, Eon couldn't let that sink in. Bond is the granddaddy of the cinematic secret agents so he always has to be the best, hence the overt-superman template and the Marvel-like comic book atmosphere of Die Anoher Day.

@ClarkDevlin +1 on your point about Bond showing emotion.
    Thank you, @Roadphill.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Brosnan is looking good.