Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

Ludovico wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Bean would have appeared a very weak foil to an actor of Dalton's abilities.

This is why I think that with the film as it stands, casting and all, Brosnan fitted the bill better than Dalton. To make GE a Dalton movie it would have needed to be considerably different: an older actor playing Trevelyan, Trevelyan having another function than a 00, etc. Would it have been a better movie I don't know, but it would have been a very different movie.
    They could have easily found someone as old as Dalton to play OO6. I feel like GoldenEye with Dalton could potentially be unchanged, save for the casting of Bond and OO6. God what a movie it could have been!!

Try this on for size-- suppose instead of Jack Wade we got Felix back?? On light duty of course

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Try this on for size-- suppose instead of Jack Wade we got Felix back?? On light duty of course
    That would have rocked to no end.
    People seem to forget, the two films that Dalton WAS in were not successful at the box-office, so more of Dalton would have made more unsuccessful films. I understand that some people on this website are over-the-top Dalton fans for whom no one else is better, but for the other 99.99% of humans on earth, we know he was a dull, nun-too-handsome, forgettable Bond who was more bad for the Bond film series than he was good...
    but for the other 99.99% of humans on earth, we know he was a dull, nun-too-handsome, forgettable Bond who was more bad for the Bond film series than he was good...
    Thank you! I enjoy being in the minority. It means I am capable of independent thought & reasonable assessment apart from the mainstream mentality! I appreciate your comment here @sirseanisbond!
    B-)
    Imagine TND with Dalton as Bond and where Pam returns in place of Paris. Would've given the character's death some actual weight as well as the "girl from Bond's past" plot point.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I was just typing that, haha. Needless to say that I agree.
    Pam would never have married Carver. It needed to be a frail from his past that was... frail.
    Pam was a bit of an opportunist though. I could see her wanting to retire in style.
    pachazo wrote:
    Pam was a bit of an opportunist though. I could see her wanting to retire in style.

Not at the cost of being with a repressed little boy like CARVER!
    She wouldn't have taken any of his sh*t, that's for sure. Now that I think about it perhaps that marriage wouldn't have lasted long.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Pam wouldn't even go near a person like Carver. She has standards unlike Paris.
    People seem to forget, the two films that Dalton WAS in were not successful at the box-office, so more of Dalton would have made more unsuccessful films. I understand that some people on this website are over-the-top Dalton fans for whom no one else is better, but for the other 99.99% of humans on earth, we know he was a dull, nun-too-handsome, forgettable Bond who was more bad for the Bond film series than he was good...

That's true in the case of LTK's US box office performance, but not TLD. It took over $190mil worldwide placing it third (at the time) behind FYEO and MR.

Even LTK fared quite well at the international box office but at a time when the US market was so important, it was certainly an under performer.

Things have changed since of course and now the US box office is no longer the be all and end all.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,425

That's true in the case of LTK's US box office performance, but not TLD. It took over $190mil worldwide placing it third (at the time) behind FYEO and MR.

Even LTK fared quite well at the international box office but at a time when the US market was so important, it was certainly an under performer.

Things have changed since of course and now the US box office is no longer the be all and end all.

Well said. We all know LTK underperformed in the US market, but to claim TLD wasn't successful is pure fiction. It was not only commercially successful but well received by many critics in the US, who welcomed the fresh new take on the character from Dalton.

Dalton not handsome? Shurely shome mishtake!

Pam in TND would have been much better than Paris. But Monica Belluci would have been even better still!

Dalton would have rocked in both films, obviously.

I think 4 films for Dalton would have been enough. Apparently EON wanted him to sign on for 3 at the time of GE though - which he gave as one of the reasons he stepped down from the role. He did not want to commit to doing that many.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

This is why I think that with the film as it stands, casting and all, Brosnan fitted the bill better than Dalton. To make GE a Dalton movie it would have needed to be considerably different: an older actor playing Trevelyan, Trevelyan having another function than a 00, etc. Would it have been a better movie I don't know, but it would have been a very different movie.
    They could have easily found someone as old as Dalton to play OO6. I feel like GoldenEye with Dalton could potentially be unchanged, save for the casting of Bond and OO6. God what a movie it could have been!!

All this is very interesting speculation, but then GE would have been a very different movie. Two casting changes, especially these two, would have changed the tone deeply. And add Felix Leiter and it is a completely different movie.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

All this is very interesting speculation, but then GE would have been a very different movie. Two casting changes, especially these two, would have changed the tone deeply. And add Felix Leiter and it is a completely different movie.

... a much better one!

Wade is such an awful character. A throw back to the worst elements of the Roger era.

And it was a weird decision to use the same actor as had played the villain in TLD. He Joe Don Baker must have been bessy mates with EON.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I didn't think Wade was all that bad in GE. What does he actually do in GE thats so offensive? Ok he calls James "Jimbo". OOO such a crime. In their last scene together he calls him "James" .

In TND he's a bit of a nothing part though and I can see why people don't like him here.

Still...I'd take Wade over some of the lesser Felix's (yes you John) anyday.
    He always reminded me of the Sherriff in the Roger movies. Really unfunny 'comedy' character.

I always hate it when an essentially British movie plays on the loud American oaf stereotype. It's embarassing.
    Sheriff Pepper is worse. At least Wade is a reasonably competent agent (in GE anyway).
    Neither characters were neccessary....
    Getafix wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

... a much better one!

Wade is such an awful character. A throw back to the worst elements of the Roger era.

And it was a weird decision to use the same actor as had played the villain in TLD. He Joe Don Baker must have been bessy mates with EON.
    He was a poor man's Felix but I didn't dislike him that much. His attitude was a nice contrast to Bond's. I find Baker far better as Wade than he was as Witthaker.
    I think Baker's character in GE and TND has a bit more impact than TLD. Like him or not Wade is certainly memorable. Can't really say that regarding Whitiker.
    Wade was a bit out of his depth as a Bond villain.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Wade's alrite - even if that hat and glasses during the GE Cuba scenes make him look a bit like someone from Neighbours.
    I don't think Baker was very good in either role, which makes you wonder why EON used him a third time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Sheriff Pepper is worse. At least Wade is a reasonably competent agent (in GE anyway).

Impossible to say which is worse. Equally annoying for me.
    Pepper, no contest, for me. I can watch Wade in both films fairly easily. Pepper's tolerable in LALD but the moment he takes that radio from Bond during the car chase in GG I want to throw the remote at my tv in anger.
    This is only because you are the President of the GE global fan club!

If Baker were in a Dalton movie you'd say he sucked.

Infact, that is exactly what you have said previously.
    No. He's good. It's just that the character is kind of..bleh.

When Dalton faces off with him at the end (in a good scene) you almost go "oh yeah...I forgot about him".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Pepper, no contest, for me. I can watch Wade in both films fairly easily. Pepper's tolerable in LALD but the moment he takes that radio from Bond during the car chase in GG I want to throw the remote at my tv in anger.

Just do it!
    Was Sheriff Pepper inspired by the Dukes of Hazard?