Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

Getafix wrote:
    Was Sheriff Pepper inspired by the Dukes of Hazard?

Perhaps you remember Smokey and the Bandit?

Getafix wrote:

Probably.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 19,339
    You can see a little of 'Boss Hogg' in him from 'Dukes of Hazard :

13-boss-hogg-hazzard.jpg

bosshoggandroscoep.coltraneinhotpursuit.jpg

But of course,Pepper was on TV before Hogg.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    No. He's good. It's just that the character is kind of..bleh.

When Dalton faces off with him at the end (in a good scene) you almost go "oh yeah...I forgot about him".

The character was not great, but the actor did not improved the material at all. At least Jack Wade fitted the actor better.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

That film was made 4 years after LALD.
    And apparently Dukes of H was broadcast from 79 to 85, so probably not an influence on LALD....
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think Baker's character in GE and TND has a bit more impact than TLD. Like him or not Wade is certainly memorable. Can't really say that regarding Whitiker.

Wade wasn't all that, he was a buffoon, a poor substitute for Felix. Joe Don Baker had better materiel to work with as Whittaker.
    But the character had little time onscreen and half the time was munching away on food.

Wade wasn't brilliant but I did find the role suited JDB more - a flamboyant, loud American. He's put to better use in GE though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Pepper was better in Superman II.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 14,840
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think Baker's character in GE and TND has a bit more impact than TLD. Like him or not Wade is certainly memorable. Can't really say that regarding Whitiker.

Wade wasn't all that, he was a buffoon, a poor substitute for Felix. Joe Don Baker had better materiel to work with as Whittaker.

Wade was a poor man's Felix, yet as a loud mouth buffoon, Baker was far, far, far more convincing than as a villain. In GE and TND, he was well cast in an overall mediocre role. In TLD, he was miscast in a role that could have been better.
    Dalton should have done at least 4 Bond Movies
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

That film was made 4 years after LALD.

You are right hence the following article that proves that Pepper was meant as a lightningrod and was popular enough to warrant him a return.

http://www.manic-expression.com/apps/blog/show/16322262-my-12-favorite-rednecks-of-all-time-by-les-

I still find Pepper a great comedy character that did serve his purpose.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Agreed..i actually prefer Whitaker to Koskov,and i'm one of the minority who likes the shootout between Bond and Whitaker at the end of TLD,it seems.

• edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I liked the shootout between Bond and Whitaker too. It's well done. It's just that Whitaker himself is fairly forgettable.

"Now we can move...I'll signal Amsterdam to ship the diamonds"

He just looks plain goofy in that hat :p

Perhaps the character was underused? The first time we hear anything of him isn't until an hour or so into the film.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I liked the shootout between Bond and Whitaker too. It's well done. It's just that Whitaker himself is fairly forgettable.

Sorry,who ?

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Was Pepper that popular? He's just another example of the dumb decisions made during the Moore era. TV shows like Perma Tanned Morons The Only Way Is Essex Perma Tanned Morons are also popular, says nothing of their quality though.
    BAIN123 wrote:

But you remembered him, so he can't be that forgettable. ;)
    TND with Dalton I have a feeling would not have been as popular. Neither GE, but TND might have been really odd with him.
    Well if Dalton did TND then it would have been a completely different type and style of film - he would not have accepted the film that Brosnan did.
    This is what people don't seen to understand: as they are, they are Brosnan movies. They don't fit Dalton much, if at all. And I'm not a Brosnan fan.
    The shadow of Dalton is all over GE though.

Thats right,none of them would suit Dalton at all..even GE and TWINE were changed in places they still wouldnt be Dalton Bond films (maybe GE if worked on a lot more ).

Which is why i still think it would have been interesting to see a 3rd Dalton film,especially as it was going to be more fantastical - i think it would have been his best as well.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:

With the exception of the graveyard scene I'd say its probably closer to a more serious Moore flick.

The last time I watched it was because I fancied a "lighter" Bond film which I could just sit back and enjoy.

Not as dumb/childish as MR but not as intense as OHMSS (I actually rejected OHMSS for GE on my last viewing as a. I wasn't in the mood for it and b. Laz was pissing me off).
    Thats why a 3rd Dalton film would have been interesting..there is no denying that LTK and especially TLD are intense films.
    After watching GE in 1995 did you come out wanting Dalton back @barryt?
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 19,339
    No,The gap was too long and i personally thought/still think that Brosnan did a good job once the PTS was out of the way,in GE.

A 3rd Dalton film would just have lost Bond even more money and fans,he didnt have the box office pull of a Moore or a Brosnan.

I'm in the minority but i personally prefer Brosnan over Dalton and Lazenby as Bond,and find all his films watchable when im in the mood.
    Getafix wrote:

Yet they built a lot of their promotion on the new actor playing Bond. And they had an entirely different cast, except for Q.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Yet they built a lot of their promotion on the new actor playing Bond. And they had an entirely different cast, except for Q.

It just feels like a lot of elements were thought up with Dalton in mind. Might be completely wrong.

The early meeting with M would have worked A LOT better with an older, more mature Bond. Brosnan looks like a 6th former in GE, not the 'mysoginist dynosaur' the script would have us believe him to be.
    Bond is pretty much a dinosaur no matter who plays him. And Brosnan looked younger than he was. He started showing his age with TWINE. Cast against Beam his youthful look served him well. I do think GE has some Dalton influences, but my bet is that it was an influence from early on.
    barryt007 wrote:
    You can see a little of 'Boss Hogg' in him from 'Dukes of Hazard :

13-boss-hogg-hazzard.jpg

bosshoggandroscoep.coltraneinhotpursuit.jpg

But of course,Pepper was on TV before Hogg.

Oh boy i loved watching that series as a kid growing! Funny memories of Boss Hogg and Rosco! :-))
    You know, funny thing about Clifton James is that the man is actually a phenomenal actor. Watch Cool Hand Luke, he plays the prison guard Carr and, like the rest of the cast of that movie, he does an absolutely, beyond stellar job. I'm really surprised how terrible he was as Pepper. I really, really blame the writing.

Funny enough, Joe Don Baker is actually in Cool Hand Luke as well!