The brand new guess the character

Comments

• Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,172
    "Williamson? Oh, yes! He died rather suddenly, poor chap... he fell into a pulverizer at the works."

"Ah, so. How shocking. A very honourable death..."

... and a very honourable answer from @Max_The_Parrot - it is indeed the ill-fated managing director of Empire Chemicals, Williamson!

Explanations:

1. My success did not prevent my death, which was unexpected and gruesome...

Being managing director didn't prevent his gory demise.

2. ... and yet strangely dignified.

Osato seems to think it's an honourable way to go. Strange man.

3. Picture clue:

5efcc9915df4f5066194e539-large.jpg?cache_buster=3e0d37b5b693115eca5a73aa421e1e96

Chemicals, and indeed a surprising death.

4. Bond has only just gained the status I once had.

Bond is pretending to be his replacement, "Mr Fisher".

5. Bond says I had a weapon, but he's probably lying.

Helga Brandt later asks Bond (in her Ning Po cabin) whether all Empire Chemicals people carry guns. Bond replies "When they're abroad, yes".

6. Sounds like locks of my hair were all that was left of me!

The locks/lox soundalike is the revelation which leads Bond to Osato Chemicals and the meeting. @mtm figured this out two days ago and then went in a totally different direction :-o

7. I'm an associate of Hildebrand, Thomas Schiller and Major Dexter Smythe.

Williamson is just a name, not an on-screen character at any point.

8. "Incredible how you can... see right through me".

Lyrics from the "Invisible Man" (Queen), again indicating that we don't see Williamson. And Osato's x-ray desk sees right through his guests.

9. Daniel Radcliffe performed my favourite song on the Graham Norton show...

Tom Lehrer's "The Element Song". If you haven't watched it, look it up!

10. ...it's a shame that girl from Stranger Things wasn't there.

Eleven, as in Helga Brandt who is SPECTRE no.11 - I thought this would be the clue that gave it away!

11. Pay attention to the characters already guessed

For clue 11 I put Helga Brandt twice in the list as SPECTRE no.11

12. I could be Prince George or Prince Louis.

William's son.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Ha! Clue 12 is awesome!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,426
    Funny how these things work, I got the Stranger Things reference and with all the emphasis on elements I actually looked up the 11th element which is sodium, which lead me to monosodium glutamate which Empire Chemicals want to make, and everything fit into place from there! Helga didn't click at all!

I'll just pretend that was all part of the plan! :) Thanks for the challenge @Tokoloshe2 !

I don't think we want another sumo referee round so I'll put my thinking cap up to (attempt to) come up with something quicker this time. Best laid plans ...

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    @Tokoloshe2, that was one of your best rounds yet! All the clues were brilliantly intertwined. @Max_The_Parrot is the fastest gunslinger, quicker than the rest of us this time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Great round @Tokoloshe2, definitely had me lost on that one. Excellent work yet again, @Max_The_Parrot.
    Funny how these things work, I got the Stranger Things reference and with all the emphasis on elements I actually looked up the 11th element which is sodium, which lead me to monosodium glutamate which Empire Chemicals want to make...

I had also mentally made the Sodium connection, but I couldn't think of any decent way to clue it! Nearly went with something about Daniel Radcliffe singing 'Na Na Na' but it just didn't work. Glad you got there, anyway :)
    I should also add that I watched YOLT three weeks ago for the first time in a couple of years. Made a note of Williamson as a potential "character" at the time... but then couldn't believe it took me so damn long to solve the sumo gyoji, having literally just watched the bloody film!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Again I bow to utter awesomeness! Well done chaps! Great round!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,017
    Funny how these things work, I got the Stranger Things reference and with all the emphasis on elements I actually looked up the 11th element which is sodium, which lead me to monosodium glutamate which Empire Chemicals want to make, and everything fit into place from there! Helga didn't click at all!

I got the 11th one named in that song because the two clues were linked with elipses, which is Neptunium. Which obviously took me to FYEO as the sub is called Neptune!

Who's Thomas Schiller? I don't know that name at all.
    mtm wrote: »

I got the 11th one named in that song because the two clues were linked with elipses, which is Neptunium. Which obviously took me to FYEO as the sub is called Neptune!

The only one I can find is a writer and director for Saturday Night Live who worked there for 11 years.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Great round @Tokoloshe2 and congratulations on solving it @Max_The_Parrot <:-P
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,017
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The only one I can find is a writer and director for Saturday Night Live who worked there for 11 years.

I finally found him: it was to have been Zao's new identity post-gene therapy in DAD.
    Not sure he's quite the same as Smythe, who was a real guy we see a photo of! :)
    Yes we do get a photo of Smythe so perhaps he's not quite the same. George the autopilot of Scaramanga's junk might have been a better example. Now there's a taxing character to clue some time :)
    Ahh damn, hadn't even placed him, even better.

I could do with hiring you as clue setter! 😝

edited September 2020 Posts: 2,426
    I'm confident this won't take long so here we go

Guess the EON character

1 I may have been last at the start but by the end I'll be the first
    2 What may be a leisure activity for some is serious business for me ...
    3 ... although today I've hardly got my money's worth
    4 The one clear winner here still ends up the one clear loser
    5 I'm one of a pair, call us temporary and permanent
    6 There's no need to be so snappy, I'm only doing my job
    7 There's vital work I should be doing but I'll leave that for someone else to do
    8 My boss is someone in a position of strength, high up in the organisation you might say
    9 Frankly, would this have been a job better suited to Bond's friend in the CIA? ...
    10 ... as long as he doesn't use Honey's boat!
    11 Picture clue
    ChatSchrodiger.jpg.560x300_q85_box-0%2C41%2C591%2C358_crop_detail.jpg
    12 In a knot, like Robin's friend, the Miller's son?
    13 Thirteen turns out adds up to be unlucky for some
    14 Can you tell I'm in prime condition, even though parts of my performance may look like magic?
    15 Picture clue
    00376203.jpg
    (this is a picture of two sticks of pink rock, a hard candy usually mint flavoured that is a popular sight for tourists in British seaside destinations)
    16 I'm part of something significant that up to this point we'd only seen Bond do once before. This time it's a much more active moment.

Characters guessed

Adam
    Annabelle Cheung
    Bobsled team FYEO
    Chew Mee
    Green 4
    Jaws' assistant MR
    Kissy
    MacAdams
    Pegasus
    Quarrel Jr
    R
    Simmons GF
    Tilly Masterson
    Tracy Bond
    Venetian punter (any) MR
    Vijay
    Pegasus?
    You're a good sport for getting us started, but it's not Pegasus!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,024
    MacAdams (Canadian chess player in FRWL)
    MacAdams is merely a pawn in our little game, I'll add new clues
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Tracy?
    Simmons, who is being cheated by Goldfinger at cards?
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    Tilly Masterson?
    We may not have quantity but we've certainly got quality, I can see where you're all going with those guesses, very good but unfortunately no prize. I'll add new clues.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    edited September 2020 Posts: 294
    Adam?
    Not Adam
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Vijay?
    it's nay to Vijay but thanks for having a go @echo
    New clues added
    Jaws' Assistant from MR?
    The rear athlete of the bobsled team in FYEO?