The brand new guess the character

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,994
    It does seem to fit a good number of them: no idea how it fits the others but somehow I think the actual answer will baffle me equally! :)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    I might finally have it.

Inosuke Shikimori, the gyoji (referee) from the sumo match where Bond meets Aki?

Had thought about the sumo match, but not the ref. Hope you have it.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    For clarification, it seems "Shikimori Inosuke" is a title passed on to holders of that role, it's not the name of either the character or the actor (presumably it was a real sumo referee of that era).

Gyoji is a more general term for a sumo referee.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    It is (finally) the gyōji (Sumo Wrestling Referee) in YOLT

152149963.jpg

1 Look up! I should be underground by rights, and yet I'm above it all
    The canopy suspended above the ring depicts a Shinto shrine, standing under this would be the equivalent of being underground. However the ring itself is always raised above ground level

2 I carry a weapon, concealed you might say.
    holding a wooden gunbai, or war fan. The art of fighting with gunbai is tessenjutsu, however in sumo it is used for signals and commands.

3 Red. My status assured.
    the red rosettes and tassels show he has reached san'yaku - the second highest rank for gyōji

4 I've worked my way up the ladder, and am almost at the top.
    He holds the second highest rank, something that takes many years to achieve

5 If he asked nicely I might allow Bond to enter, but not his companion.
    women are not allowed to enter the ring

6 I'm involved in a financial transaction.
    at the end of the fight, he presents the winner with his money prize, placed on his gunbai

7 I'm caught in a brief downpour, but not of rain ...
    We see the wrestlers throw salt around the ring to purify it

8 ... so I suppose it's a good job I'm wearing a hat.

9 No fear of Covid-19 here, we've taken appropriate measures.
    throwing of salt and prayers purify the ring and keep the occupants safe from harm

10 My services could have been put to good use in a later movie, although not to Bond's advantage
    Bond encountering the sumo wrestlers in TMWTGG, however grabbing the buttocks is an illegal move so Bond would be disqualified

11 I waste no time ... before he realizes it Bond has missed all the fun
    most sumo matches, including this one, are over in a few seconds

12 So nearly the centre of attention for so many
    large crowds are watching, although the wrestlers are the focus of attention

13 Picture Clues
    SPECTRE ring (the sumo ring he is stood in) and a fan of Solitaire's cards (the gunbai, or war fan he holds)

14 You'll find me on the beach, perhaps? There are similarities, certainly
    The ring is covered in sand, and the wrestlers look like they are dressed for sunbathing

15 Bond has a clear view of me until someone gets in the way Aki

16 On this occasion, Bond had help from someone in his past, but it wasn't Moneypenny
    Bond speaks Japanese, thanks to his tutor(s) in Oxford, not Moneypenny's phrase book

17 There is no background music to this scene, I provide many of the sound effects
    instructions are shouted before, during and after the match

18 I appear to be disguised as someone I'm not ...
    the costume is designed to look like a Shinto priest

19 ... Bond will meet another person soon who is dressed much like me, though not viridescent enough
    Bond is on his way to see Henderson, who wears a kimono - a visually similar type of clothing - but not green

20 Visually you'd have to say I am the opposite of the people I'm next to
    covered up as a priest compared to the almost naked wrestlers

21 Although a little late, Bond quickly makes himself at home
    Takes his shoes off, sits on the floor and enjoys the entertainment

22 Bond only sees me because Mr Big was gonna take care of him
    Sadanoyama Shinmatsu, real life sumo wrestler, gave Bond the ticket to get in

23 Bond and I are finished at the same time
    as soon as the winner is presented with his prize Bond tells Aki it's time to go

23 Nobody will be arguing with me without severe consequences
    wrestlers will never question the decision of the gyōji, to do so would be considered highly disrespectful

24 Mouse picture: Getting rid of these could be quite revealing
    mouse - get rid of "the e's" and you're left with the letters of the word sumo

25 Did I slip into something more comfortable, like Octopussy did perhaps?
    The gyōji's silk outfit is reminiscent of Octopussy's silk dressing gown - says a lot about the way my mind works

26 One mistake now could be the cause of some embarrassment for all concerned
    Occasionally it has been known for a wrestler's belt to come undone

27 These tassels could be a hassle.
    tassels hang from the canopy and from the gyōji's costume

28 Are you in or out? I know the answer!
    The aim of sumo is to remove your opponent from the ring, the gyōji makes the overall decision

29 Despite clue 9's reassurance, the enochlophobic should probably stay away
    large crowds surround the ring on all sides

30 I never let go of what's in my right hand the gunbai

31 While I'm busy working, James is busy flirting
    telling Aki he loves her

32 I'm stood next to characters doing something that the actors playing those characters have done many times before
    The two sumo wrestlers are professional wrestlers in real life

33 Like a magician, one moment I'm not there. The next I appear. Corners have been cut!
    As Bond walks to his seat we see a different gyōji in the ring, by the time he has sat down this gyōji is in the ring ready to start - in reality there would be several minutes of ritual to end one round and start the next

34 Are you wondering who these two are? I'll tell you more than once!
    It's the job of the gyōji to introduce the wrestlers, he shouts the names of the two wrestlers in this round - Kotozakura and Fujinishiki - twice

35 You see plenty of others doing something that you see me doing, but not how I do it!
    Lots of people in the audience wafting a fan to keep themselves cool, in contrast to using a fan to referee the match

36 Perhaps Bond was hoping for a quick facial, or maybe a manicure, while he was here?
    The door he enters from outside is labelled with the words Beauty Salon, partially covered

37 You see another person doing the same job as me!
    As Bond enters we see another gyōji referring the previous round

38 Picture clue -a flag made of green, red, black and white
    we see green red black and white tassels hanging from the canopy above the ring

39 Look down! Admire the geometrical symmetry
    the sumo ring is a circle within a square

40&41 for these picture clues you needed to consider the dialogue at these points
    '...showing a bit more cheek than usual...' - the wrestlers do just that
    'As you said such good sport' - sumo is the national sport of Japan

42 Bond arrives alone and leaves accompanied, but not by me
    He leaves with Aki

43 This scene is not a studio set but filmed at a real location
    The scene is filmed inside Ryogoku Kokugikan, the National Sumo Stadium in Tokyo

Congrats @Tokoloshe2 excellent work. I was surprised clue 16 didn't do it as there's limited examples of Moneypenny trying to help Bond with his work, and then I really hoped someone would cotton onto clue 24. Anyway, good work! I'm so glad you got this, there's only so many clues I can come up with.

Having said that, I've really enjoyed finding out more about the art of sumo, it's fascinating stuff and hopefully you've all learnt something along the way that will enhance your watching of the scene in future!!

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    A huge round of applause to @Tokoloshe2 for solving that one! =D>
    You've put us all to shame!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Amazing round @Max_The_Parrot. Tricky clues, background information, riddles and very talented in thinking about so many clues for such a short scene. Bravo.
    And well done @Tokoloshe2. I wasn't even close.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    That was a superb round. Congrats to @Tokoloshe2 for solving such a fiendish riddle. Bravo Sir =D>
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I bow deeply for the victor @Tokoloshe2 of this round, and the increadable master of riddles which is @Max_The_Parrot for such a nerve-wrecking round. Well done to the both of you!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I can only agree with what has already been said.
    Congrats to @Tokoloshe2 for finally cracking this one.
    And well done to @Max_The_Parrot for creating a such a long lasting round. Surely one for the ages. =D>
    Thanks all, and well done Max for such a good round. Clues were excellent with the exception of the MOUSE-SUMO one which was far too much of a stretch, if I'm honest. But nonetheless a cracking round and I'll now put my thinking cap on for how to surpass it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, that's a great round, don't think I ever would've had that sumo ref pop up as even a fleeting idea for a guess. Great work all around, @Max_The_Parrot, and wonderful job figuring it out, @Tokoloshe2. Looking forward to what you come up with.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Great job from you as well, @Birdleson . This time it took you just three minutes to type that full list from memory.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5315331
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,172
    OK let's do this! A new EON character:

1. My success did not prevent my death, which was unexpected and gruesome...

2. ... and yet strangely dignified.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    Dawes from the PTS of LALD?
    It's not Dawes, but thanks for starting us off.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Sharkey ?
    May Day?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Dario?
    None of the above, I'm afraid.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Stromberg's assistant ?
    Paula?
    Not the assistant nor Paula.
    It's not him.
    Two more clues:

3. Picture clue:

5efcc9915df4f5066194e539-large.jpg?cache_buster=3e0d37b5b693115eca5a73aa421e1e96

4. Bond has only just gained the status I once had.

Incorrect:

Dario
    Dawes
    May Day
    Paula Caplan
    Sharkey
    Special Forces guy (TLD PTS)
    Stromberg's assistant
    Kra?
    That's a nah to Kra.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Admiral Farrell?
    No luck with Chuck.
    Moving to new page:

3. Picture clue:

5efcc9915df4f5066194e539-large.jpg?cache_buster=3e0d37b5b693115eca5a73aa421e1e96

4. Bond has only just gained the status I once had.

Incorrect:

Admiral Chuck Farrell
    Dario
    Dawes
    Kra
    May Day
    Paula Caplan
    Sharkey
    Special Forces guy (TLD PTS)
    Stromberg's assistant

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Dryden?