DUD vs The Phantom Menace vs Indiana Jones 4

12346»

Comments

chrisisall wrote:
    From least bad to worst:

3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - easily the worst Indiana Jones film. That said, it's full of energy & fun. Karen Allen makes the film watchable for me. Nice score.
    2. Die Another Day - certainly one of my least favorite Bond movies, but still has a few good merits. The first half of the film is honestly decent, including a good PTS and a solid performance by Brosnan. Buy the sci-fi premise, buy the flick. I bought Graves Robo-suit for a dollar!
    3. Phantom Menace - somewhat underrated. Granted it's not one of the best Star Wars films, and the first half is pretty boring, but at least it had awesome battle scenes + Qui-Gon and Darth Maul (best prequel characters). Also good soundtrack. The whole slave thing baffled me though. Why not go in and eff 'em up, you Jedis?
    Oh, so Annikin could later. More brutally. After his Mom died.
    I feel so manipulated...

Glad you, quite literally, agree with a lot of what I said :P

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    FoxRox wrote:
    Glad you, quite literally, agree with a lot of what I said :P

Basically, yes.
    I completely agree, @Getafix. Mark Hamill recently stated (and I agree with him too) that he hopes the new trilogy can balance CGI and real life action and avoids going overboard on all the special effects. It is so much better when it is real people doing real stunts. Think if the jump in TSWLM was all special effects? It wouldn't be the lauded scene it is today if it was, showing how special it is when you have stunt men risking their lives for real and when they succeed, movie magic is made.

But I think that the problems with the SW prequels go further than the extensive (almost ubiquitous) use of CGI. They had to do with the lack of character development, the lifeless stories and the incoherences with the original trilogy (Did Leia knew his mother or not? Wasn't Yoda Obi-Wan's teacher?) The CGI should be only a tool to narrate the story better, but instead Lucas focused on creating stories in order to have CGI.
    Another problem, the lack of traveling! The prequels are too static, staying too much time on a planet and/or returning to it (specially Coruscant). In the original trilogy all the action takes place in space journeys.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7,653
    chrisisall wrote:
    @SaintMark, you enjoy stuff too much. Where is your resentment, your concentrated vitriol at films that never live up to the cream of the crop classics?

I do not want to spend too much time on stuff I really do not enjoy. For instance I tend to overreact when I hear the name David Arnold in combination with the future 007 franchise. I'd rather spend that time listening to the music of the classic Pink Panthers by Mancini. Or I just found a great copy of the music suites from Babylon 5.

I saw the Transformer movies with my kids because they really love them, I find them a lot of noise and nonsense, and they are not worth to get upset over. Michael Bay does have his great movies I enjoy and the rest I ignore, simply because the man did nothing to offend me and my taste. His genre of movies is popcorn and I prefer mine salted.

The new Star Trek is enjoyable, I prefer the old crew but they will not return so I have them on dvd to enjoy. I do not get the whole hate campaign toward JJ Abrahams, it smells a wee bit like Craigisnotbond.com all over again.

I like Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones and was happy too see him once more, The Phantom menace was lame but had brilliant moments like the race, the Jedi's really doing amazing stuff, etc. Die another Day had Brosnan whom I enjoy in most of his non Bond movies as well and actually ask myself if Barbara & Wilson see any of his more recent outing and wonder if they should have given him more to play with in the franchise.

Just got two hardcover novels: the latest Pendergast & the latest Dune ( always a target for the Dune purists but I actually enjoy them quite a lot) and tomorrow I'll be coaching a team of young girls (12-13 years) in their hockeygame, and having fun and stimulating them is brilliant.

Life is too short to really spend too much resentment on anything really. Unless DA returns to Bond 24, even then I end up more dissapointed than angry.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1 INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
    Brilliant film, as good as the first three. Never understood the hatred towards it.

2 STAR WARS Episode I-The Phantom Menace
    Severely underrated. Not as good as the first two, but a lot better than Jedi. Never understood the hatred towards it.

3 DAD
    One of the worst films I have ever seen, Bond or not. I understand the hatred towards this one.
    Brilliant film, as good as the first three. Never understood the hatred towards it.

Severely underrated. Not as good as the first two, but a lot better than Jedi. Never understood the hatred towards it.

3 DAD
    One of the worst films I have ever seen, Bond or not. I understand the hatred towards this one.

Never understand the hatred? Jar Jar, invicible cars, VR glasses... Like it or not, but the hatred could be easily understand. I mean, you go from adventures with human stories into special effects and CGI with some acting scenes.
  • Phantom Menace was disappointing but it was the place to go OTT since it was within the realm of sci-fi/outer space. DUD aka DAD and Indy Jones 4 proved that these series needed to come to an end.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Phantom Menace had those bouncing ball things that would open up and fire lasers. That was kinda cool. All in all the movie was lame. Darth Maul and Qui Gon were good characters. Darth Maul should have had more screen time.

One of the last pieces of advice Cubby gave to his children was "whenever in doubt, go back to the books".
    Babs and MGW decided to not take this advice in the late 1990's. They decided to go back to the worst imitators from the 60's (something that Cubby and Salzman always tried not to do). Wind surfing, invisible car. Even Maxwell Smart and Matt Helm never went that far. In the end, DUD is just a bad parody of itself.
    In fairness they probably didn't feel they were in doubt at the time, not until the backlash with DAD.
    0013 wrote:

3 DAD

Never understand the hatred? Jar Jar, invicible cars, VR glasses... Like it or not, but the hatred could be easily understand. I mean, you go from adventures with human stories into special effects and CGI with some acting scenes.

Agree about Jaj Jar. Might as well had Goofy make a guest appearance. At least he was not an Ewok...
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    STAR WARS Episode I-The Phantom Menace
    Not as good as the first two, but a lot better than Jedi.
    What?!? Well, we disagree tremendously on this one. ROTJ might be the worst of the original trilogy but it towers over TPM.

The Phantom Menace was a brilliant SW movie.I think the most people who hate it were the ones who were kids when the originals came out and when the prequels arrived they had grown older and more cynical.They could not accept that filmaking techniques had changed and that the films were still primarily aimed at young people.

The film had fantastic fx and action.The lightsaber battles were amazing and far better choreographed than the ones in the original trilogy.The podrace was an absolutely stunning acheivement and great to watch.There were cool characters like Qui Gon, and Darth Maul.The music by John Williams was of course, superb.The scenery on new planets like Naboo and Coruscant was beautiful to look at.

The film is not without its minor faults ( what film isnt? ) but it and the other prequels are still brilliant entertainment.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 381
    I really enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and have never understood why some people hate it. It's about as good as the other Indiana Jones movies. And I've always said that Die Another Day was on-par with the other Brosnan-era films and was a lot of fun.

The Phantom Menace was just a mess. Let Confused Matthew explain:

• I still want my money back for DUD.
    I still want my money back for DUD.

I share that sentiment when it comes to QoB, and I never get the time back due to watching that failed Bourne movie.

As for Indiana Jones 4
    I just can't wrap my head around why Spielberg thought a sixty-something Indy was a good idea. He even wears the same outfit he did in the other films. That would be like 20 years. How many of you are wearing the same clothes and look you had 20 years ago? Duh...

They would have done better to flat out reboot the franchise with a younger actor playing Jones.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,394
    I cant stand that Confused Matthew person.He is just an idiot who spends his videos SHOUTING and RANTING over movies that dared to not entertain him.
    0013 wrote:

3 DAD

Agree about Jaj Jar. Might as well had Goofy make a guest appearance. At least he was not an Ewok...

Ewoks are not the coolest characters, but they are way better than the Gungans and the main idiot.
    Haha, a matter of taste. But I can agree they were equally embarrassing. The level of Muppet Show was just more annoying in Jedi for me, coming after those first brilliant films. I was 10 when Star Wars came out and 16 when Jedi came, so had probably less tolerance for teddy bears back then. In the original script the ewoks were lizards, but Lucas decided to make it more kid friendly.
    Weren't they Wookies instead? Well, maybe both at different points.
    The thing is that at least in Return you have the best space battle (in my opinion) with a great duel (second best) while the fight of the Ewoks isn't at the same level. But at least it's 2/3 greatness. In Phantom Menace only the lightsaber duel is decent.
    And the Ewoks reminded me of Tolkien's TLOTR that when the wisemen fail, it's the weaks that come to save the world.
    Is JJ Abrams reducing the amount of CGI in the sequels? It would be nice to see a return to the films being based on models and actual sets. I have never been a big Star Wars fan, but the first 3 films are visually stunning. It always struck me how awful the later added CGI elements looked next to the original SFX. The bar scene in Episode 4 is a case in point - I love the original version and just think the added CGI band members completely ruin it.
    Getafix wrote:
    Is JJ Abrams reducing the amount of CGI in the sequels? It would be nice to see a return to the films being based on models and actual sets. I have never been a big Star Wars fan, but the first 3 films are visually stunning. It always struck me how awful the later added CGI elements looked next to the original SFX. The bar scene in Episode 4 is a case in point - I love the original version and just think the added CGI band members completely ruin it.

Models and actual sets ( as well as real locations ) were used in the prequels.Yes there was cgi used as well and most of it was very well done ( the cg Yoda in Episode 3 is absolutley brilliant character animation).

AstonLotus wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Models and actual sets ( as well as real locations ) were used in the prequels.Yes there was cgi used as well and most of it was very well done ( the cg Yoda in Episode 3 is absolutley brilliant character animation).

I've only ever seen bits and pieces of the prequels. I generally hate CGI though. It usually looks like cartoon animation to me. The chase through the mine in the first Hobbit movie comes to mind - looks like a computer game. Totally detaches you from the film.