DUD vs The Phantom Menace vs Indiana Jones 4

Comments

I think DAD is great and TPM is ok, I loved it as a child (saw it in the cinema in 1999).

:-?

I don't know how thats possible!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    BAIN123 wrote:
    For my money films like 2012, The Happening, Transformers 2 and Batman and Robin are worse.

I'll give you Batman & Robin, but 2012 had great set pieces, The Happening had good actors and Revenge of the Fallen had great voice acting, in particular Peter Cullen and Hugo Weaving.

Please..... the great John Cusack was ridicule in 2012.... the story was garbage, the funny bits were cringe-worthy... the only good character dies half way through..... some very bad special effects in parts...... the kids were annoying little brats....... the romance bits was puke-inducing.......

I swear to God I said "great set pieces". The backgrounds getting torn to shreds looked awesome in that movie, even if the acting was atrocious. And was the only good character Woody Harrelson or Danny Glover?
    The thing is the effects in 2012, while spectacular, didn't really feel that involving. Everything was CG.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,690
    I swear to God I said "great set pieces". The backgrounds getting torn to shreds looked awesome in that movie, even if the acting was atrocious. And was the only good character Woody Harrelson or Danny Glover?

Harrelson was ridicule... I was talking about the russian plane pilot.

]
    DAD is not the worst film ever..... far from it. I'm sure if you look on IMDB long enough, you'll find some atrocities far worse than DAD.....

As @BAIN keeps saying, there is JUDI FRIGGEN DENCH in the film. That alone elevates the film. And Rosamund Pike.

I've heard your Dench M rants, so I am guessing that like Dan you like Judi, just outside of Bond? [/quote]

Yes, I love Dench outside of Bond... as I think Craig is a outstanding actor outside of Bond :)

• DAD isn't as good as this.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I'm having trouble keeping track of the score. How do you add a poll?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

The Russian plane pilot? C'mon, Danny Glover has to get some credit for taking a crap role and turning it into at least a slightly less two-dimensional character.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

The Russian plane pilot? C'mon, Danny Glover has to get some credit for taking a crap role and turning it into at least a slightly less two-dimensional character.

Glover was in that film ????? who did he play ??

Glover was in that film ????? who did he play ??

The president
    BAIN123 wrote:
    The president

Well I don't remember him :-?
    I rather try and forget the whole film :)
    I rather try and forget the whole film :)

Listen to the review though. He does a fantastic job summing up its crapness - and even mentions DAD at one point.
    DAD for me as its the only Bond option! ;)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited May 2012 Posts: 1,874
    Dire Another Day maybe bad (though I thought more of a wasted opportunity - starts great but descends to silliness - and don't try to compare Berry to Andress), but I find Moonraker and DAF and AVTAK (most of the Moore Bond's actually) worse.
    I hate DUD with a vengeance
    I hate Indy4, it makes me vomit
    I dislike the SW prequels, they make me...change the channel
  • Episode One was actually pretty good. If one thing could be taken out, Jar Jar, it is close to the prequels imo.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I'll give you Batman & Robin, but 2012 had great set pieces, The Happening had good actors and Revenge of the Fallen had great voice acting, in particular Peter Cullen and Hugo Weaving.

Hugo Weaving? AKA Agent Smith and V??? He was in revenge of the fallen? Transformers does not deserve such a great actor!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2012 Posts: 9,117
    00Beast wrote:
    The Phantom Menace as one of the three worst films of all time? THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG HERE!!!!

X(

As a HUGE Star Wars fan for years, TPM is still tied for my Number 1 favorite Star Wars movie along with The Empire Strikes Back. The Phantom Menace is pure cinema power! The series would have never continued past ROTJ if TPM hadn't been made! Sheesh, some people need to get with the program. Phantom Menace is such a large part of my childhood that if any flaws exist (which there aren't), I refuse to acknowledge them. You've got podraces, space battles, lightsaber combat (some of the best), blaster battles, and the two best, Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul!! There's no denying that epicness! And who could forget the ledgend that is Jar-Jar Binks??!! HE'S INSPIRATIONAL!

'Everyones entitled to their opinion' goes the popular refrain around here.

Surely at some point society has to step in and say that some peoples opinions are too extreme to be tolerated? Thats why we invented lunatic asylums.

Never thought I say it but DAD actually triumphs here. George Lucas took an enormous dump on Indy and Star Wars with KOTCS and TPM.

TPM is awful from start to finish. While Indy 4 has a reasonable first act, I think the 2nd half might actually be poorer than DADs. Marion is turned into a joke, the laws of physics are pretty much ignored, the CGI surpasses DAD in ubiquity if not crapness of execution and Indy does pretty much nothing from when they go over the waterfall - he just tags along with a bloated cast of pointless characters (John Hurt what were you thinking?). I think South Park just about got it right with the rape by Lucas and Spielberg whereas Tamahori gets away with a charge indecent exposure and sexual assault (not for the first time).

Surely at some point society has to step in and say that some peoples opinions are too extreme to be tolerated? Thats why we invented lunatic asylums.

There's a big difference between someone with opinions similar to Anders Breivik and someone saying DAD is a good Bond film....... seriously your post is utter trype and bordeline offensive.... so because I like DAD as a Bond film I am similar to someone who wants to kill 77 people ?

Do you put Anders Breivik to the same level as DAD fans ?
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425

There's a big difference between someone with opinions similar to Anders Breivik and someone saying DAD is a good Bond film....... seriously your post is utter trype and bordeline offensive.... so because I like DAD as a Bond film I am similar to someone who wants to kill 77 people ?

I personally very much enjoy Wizard's contributions. I think these forums are much more interesting when people are able to have a good old ding-dong without being personally offensive or taking unnecessary offence.

IMO some of the most amusing posts are those that wittily and entertainingly ridicule other people's strongly held positions. It's part of the fun, as long as it is isn't taken too far. I think generally people round here understand that James Bond films create heated debate but that ultimately you have to take the comments here as a bit of fun.

I don't think (as far as I can see) that any one is accusing you of being like Anders Breivik (who btw has been declared not insane).
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I dont remember mentioning DAD or Anders but dont let the facts get in the way of you going off on one DaltonCraig007.

I think you'll find that I was quoting someone who said that TPM was as good as the Empire Strikes Back. If thats not enough to get you locked up in Broadmoor I dont know what is.

I would say being a fan of DAD is somewhat eccentric but not completely insane but your agressively defensive position seems to indicate you may have certain issues. Time to seek professional help perhaps?
    Getafix wrote:
    I don't think (as far as I can see) that any one is accusing you of being like Anders Breivik (who btw has been declared not insane).

Very good sir. Shame the law and medical opinion has to get in the way of the medias demonisation. I dont think old Anders is any more insane than Bin Laden was - but it would make things a lot easier for the hand wringing liberals if he was and we could just lock him up and sweep the whole thing under the carpet as the act of a madman.

Out of interest I wonder where people like Anders, Sutcliffe and Fred West stand on DAD, TPM and KOTCS? Would be interesting to see if a pattern emerged.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:

I personally very much enjoy Wizard's contributions. I think these forums are much more interesting when people are able to have a good old ding-dong without being personally offensive or taking unnecessary offence.

IMO some of the most amusing posts are those that wittily and entertainingly ridicule other people's strongly held positions. It's part of the fun, as long as it is isn't taken too far. I think generally people round here understand that James Bond films create heated debate but that ultimately you have to take the comments here as a bit of fun.
    ).

I like Wizard very much. He puts across his opinions with wit, intellect and humour. He doesn't go for the usual fanboy approach.

(insert name) sucks ;)

Hugo Weaving? AKA Agent Smith and V??? He was in revenge of the fallen? Transformers does not deserve such a great actor!

He's Megatron.

DAD isn't as good as this.

That was hilarious

=)) =)) =)) =))

The theme tune is a classic. Thats going up on my Facebook page.
    Getafix wrote:
    I'm having trouble keeping track of the score. How do you add a poll?

MODS!! The people need you.
    your agressively defensive position seems to indicate you may have certain issues. Time to seek professional help perhaps?

I wonder if you are the same in real life as you are here...........
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 4,813
    This is a tricky question because like a lot of people here, I love all three franchises.
    My order would go (from best to worst)

* Crystal Skull
    * Die Another Day

* Phantom Menace

They all have big problems, but I don't necessarily hate all these movies....
    Oddly enough, KOTCS and DAD both have solid beginnings-- it's just that pesky halfway-point where things turn into a CGI nightmare.

If only DAD's second half fit the tone of it's first half (which was awesome), it would rank near the top of my list.
    Crystal Skull was pretty good throughout, but near the end they felt the need to litter the movie with bad CGI (jungle/ monkeys, Aliens, although I admit the UFO taking off looked pretty good). Lose that, and maybe have Indy do the final scenes ALONE and without his 'gang', and we'd have a pretty solid Indy flick. You know, all the movies post-ROTLA had Indy teaming up at the end. Why do they keep doing that??? I want to see Indy, not 'Indy & Friends'. Last Crusade almost did this, but then at the last second Indy went and took on the Three Challenges alone.

Stupid mistakes but still OK movies I think.

Now... Episode I. That movie sucks. In fact, I once considered myself a huge Star Wars fan until the Prequels came out and I slowly lost interest as each one was released. It wasn't until just recently that I discovered the 'Machete Order' (a thread which someone felt the need to close, damnit... :-w ) and I became a big fan again, which was a great feeling.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2649/star-wars-the-machete-order-an-inspired-new-way-to-watch-the-original-trilogy-and-prequels/p1

A good read if you have the time-- but you'll notice that they completely exclude Episode I!
    It's boring, you won't miss ANYTHING by skipping it, the acting is atrocious. The only good things it had going for it were Darth Maul & Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon, and and they freaking killed both of them. After watching the other 5 movies in the Machete Order, I even went back and tried Episode I again; I couldn't even finish it. Painfully slow and too much politic nonsense that nobody cares about. And Jar Jar was a bad idea and I wasn't interested in seeing Vader as a little kid.

If skipping Episode I literally makes the rest of the movies (prequels included) better, then that's a sign of an awful movie!
    Every scene I've ever seen from the prequels was awful. Having said that, Jedi contained plenty of warning signs regarding where Lucas was heading with the franchise.
    DAD is pretty bad but at least it had Halle berry in a bikini.
    Episode 1 Phantom Menace had nothing except Jar Jar Binks. I 'll take Halle and her shytty acting to this CGI minstrel.

Other bad sequels:(should not have wasted the celluloid)
    Jaws 4
    Predator 2
    Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull