DUD vs The Phantom Menace vs Indiana Jones 4

Comments

Indy 4: Has a great first half hour-classic Spielberg with the nuclear explosion test scene. The chase through University is also fantastic. Sadly it goes down hill from there with ridiculous CGI and a forced love story at the end. Mutt Lange was a waste of a character.

DUD: Has it's "moments"...actually does it? Hmmm....maybe the sword fencing scene, but one scene does not a movie make

Phantom Menace: Of the 3, this is the one I'd most likely revisit. I like the scenes in Mos Eisley and Tatooine. There is even some heartache, with Anakin having to part with his Mother. The lightsaber duel is 'flashy' if a bit over-done and choreographed. BUt on the negative, the film has very little energy and zip the way the others do.

It's a tie between Indy 4 and Phantom Menace.
    Getafix wrote:
    . My money is on Darth Brosnan to fence his way to victory,

:-)) :-)) :-))

DAD wins for sheer shititude. I quite like the Peru scenes in Indy4.
    Can we add a poll?
    Indy 4 is underrated IMO, although obviously not a patch on the original trilogy. TPM is defo not underrated!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Getafix wrote:
    With DUD I was fighting the urge to buy the ticket and walk in. In the end my loyalty to Bond won over my better judgement.

I resisted. Even at 13 I knew that film felt fishy. So glad I rented the DVD instead and it was even better to give it back.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    With DUD I was fighting the urge to buy the ticket and walk in. In the end my loyalty to Bond won over my better judgement.

I resisted. Even at 13 I knew that film felt fishy. So glad I rented the DVD instead and it was even better to give it back.

Impressive maturity at such a tender age. They should have slapped an 18 on that movie. It's harmful to young kids.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DAD is not the worst film ever..... far from it. I'm sure if you look on IMDB long enough, you'll find some atrocities far worse than DAD.....

As @BAIN keeps saying, there is JUDI FRIGGEN DENCH in the film. That alone elevates the film. And Rosamund Pike.

I've heard your Dench M rants, so I am guessing that like Dan you like Judi, just outside of Bond?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    You must be joking @00Beast?! It is enough that you will be taken and dismembered by Star Wars fans everywhere, but now the Batman super fans are ready to have the scraps! Batman Forever is a wreck of a film. Batman would never say "chicks dig the car", the characters were trashed upon, the locations and settings of the film look like cheap disco art sets made by five years olds with lazy eyes, Batman should NEVER EVER EVER have nipples on the freaking batsuit. It is like he has some unhinged fetish! The villains are garbage, and unfortunately Jim overperformed more than usual, and came off as spastic instead of intelligent and calculating like The Riddler is supposed to be! And don't get me started on Two Face. Tommy Lee Jones, the worst example of wasted talent in the entire film. He looks like Liberachi if he came back from the dead with mismatched scraps of diva clothing on, and had the tendency to crack a laugh for no reason! And could he die a more worthless way?! THE WHOLE POINT OF TWO FACE AND HIS M.O. TO DECIDE THE DEATHS OF PEOPLE WITH HIS COIN IS THAT HE ALWAYS TAKES THE COINS WORD, AND NEVER LOOKS BACK ON THE CHOICE NO MATTER WHAT IT CHOOSES. AND IN THIS FILM HE FLIPS THE COIN A SECOND TIME!!! TWO FACE NEVER FLIPS A COIN AGAIN AFTER CHANCE HAS MADE ITS DECISION!!! This film is such garbage it makes Indiana Jones look like...you know what, I won't even compare any of this filth to brilliant films that deserve their praise because they didn't ruin a franchise or make ridiculously horrid films full of beaten down acting and gut wrenching, agony inducing dialogue that ruins the characters that say them, and have no relation to what that said character would say in that situation! Alfred is the ONLY thing about Batman Forever worth a damn, and same with Batman and Robin. And the credits finally rolling for the worthless things, and thank the film Gods for that. Smite thee Schumacher, smite THEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhh...much better... #:-S

As a kid I liked Batman Forever. It was in fact my favourite Batman movie :\">
    Grant wrote:
    People who believe that The Phantom Menace is anything but visual diarrhea should not be allowed to comment on any other film.

I am serious.

Visual diarrhea? You mean like this?

Anyway, in regard to the three. (one being the "worst" and three being the "best" it would be as follows.

1. The Phantom Menace (although there are some good scenes)
    2. ."DUD" as @getafix 'hilariously' insists on calling it
    3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

At least DAD and KOTKS don't get too caught up in annoying philosophy or political comment. I can watch those two and NOT be as bored.

We are arguing over philosophy amongst these crap-fests when Indy is included? KOTCS HAD ALIENS! Even for Indy that is crackers. Up there with Molla Ram taking out a heart with just his hand.
    I have to actually admit I've never seen Phantom or KOTCS skulls all the way through. The sequences I've caught on telly have been excruciating enough to put me off. Lucas went insane years ago and now can only produce utter rubbish. I was never much of a Star Wars fan any way.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    You must be joking @00Beast?! It is enough that you will be taken and dismembered by Star Wars fans everywhere, but now the Batman super fans are ready to have the scraps! Batman Forever is a wreck of a film. Batman would never say "chicks dig the car", the characters were trashed upon, the locations and settings of the film look like cheap disco art sets made by five years olds with lazy eyes, Batman should NEVER EVER EVER have nipples on the freaking batsuit. It is like he has some unhinged fetish! The villains are garbage, and unfortunately Jim overperformed more than usual, and came off as spastic instead of intelligent and calculating like The Riddler is supposed to be! And don't get me started on Two Face. Tommy Lee Jones, the worst example of wasted talent in the entire film. He looks like Liberachi if he came back from the dead with mismatched scraps of diva clothing on, and had the tendency to crack a laugh for no reason! And could he die a more worthless way?! THE WHOLE POINT OF TWO FACE AND HIS M.O. TO DECIDE THE DEATHS OF PEOPLE WITH HIS COIN IS THAT HE ALWAYS TAKES THE COINS WORD, AND NEVER LOOKS BACK ON THE CHOICE NO MATTER WHAT IT CHOOSES. AND IN THIS FILM HE FLIPS THE COIN A SECOND TIME!!! TWO FACE NEVER FLIPS A COIN AGAIN AFTER CHANCE HAS MADE ITS DECISION!!! This film is such garbage it makes Indiana Jones look like...you know what, I won't even compare any of this filth to brilliant films that deserve their praise because they didn't ruin a franchise or make ridiculously horrid films full of beaten down acting and gut wrenching, agony inducing dialogue that ruins the characters that say them, and have no relation to what that said character would say in that situation! Alfred is the ONLY thing about Batman Forever worth a damn, and same with Batman and Robin. And the credits finally rolling for the worthless things, and thank the film Gods for that. Smite thee Schumacher, smite THEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhh...much better... #:-S

As a kid I liked Batman Forever. It was in fact my favourite Batman movie :\">
    Grant wrote:
    People who believe that The Phantom Menace is anything but visual diarrhea should not be allowed to comment on any other film.

I am serious.

Visual diarrhea? You mean like this?

Anyway, in regard to the three. (one being the "worst" and three being the "best" it would be as follows.

1. The Phantom Menace (although there are some good scenes)
    2. ."DUD" as @getafix 'hilariously' insists on calling it
    3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

At least DAD and KOTKS don't get too caught up in annoying philosophy or political comment. I can watch those two and NOT be as bored.

We are arguing over philosophy amongst these crap-fests when Indy is included? KOTCS HAD ALIENS! Even for Indy that is crackers. Up there with Molla Ram taking out a heart with just his hand.

Err...its from the decade when aliens/science fiction were the big craze. Films like The Forbidden Planet and numerous other crappy B-movies. Not to mention Roswell and Area 51 (which is in the bloomin' film).
    Changing the baddies to the Soviets was a really bad idea IMO. With the south american connection, it was the perfect opportunity to have a bunch of 1950s Nazis regrouping in Argentina or something.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Changing the baddies to the Soviets was a really bad idea IMO. With the south american connection, it was the perfect opportunity to have a bunch of 1950s Nazis regrouping in Argentina or something.

Good shout. Didn't think of that. Cate Blanchett's character was a poor Klebb imitation. And Ray Winstone should stick to BET365 adverts
    Getafix wrote:

Not to mention it pissed the Russians off in real life.
    Getafix wrote:

Not to mention it pissed the Russians off in real life.

The Russians never make good villains IMO. The Bond movies always understood this up until GE. The Soviets are NEVER the actual villains in the films. It always turns out that Spectre or someone has been playing the super powers off against each other. I mean, in FRWL and TSWLM they even prove surprisingly cooperative!
    Getafix wrote:
    A three-way slug fest between three of the worst movies of all time. My money is on Darth Brosnan to fence his way to victory, after using his pain-face to defeat those mysterious Crytal Skulls.

Massive hyperbole in this claim. Giimme a freaking break here dude. Worst of ALL TIME? Have you seen Ecks V. Sever? Battlefield Earth? Plan 9 From Outter Space? Stop with the hate already. That's nonsense.

They are the weakest of their prospective series but that's all. All of them are BO juggernauts, all had decent to good critical response, and all get unfairly blasted by judgemental, over bearing, idiotic fans. No offence.

DAD is annoying and goes off the deep end in the final act but it ain't that bad. Look at the facts: 431 mil at the BO, 59% rating at Rotten Tomatoes, just a smidge below "Fresh". That's not a horrible film, not by the general consensus anyway. Same with Phantum Menance. I don't like the movie but it made a BILLION DOLLARS and sits around 58% at RT.

Crystal is a great adventure film. Yeah, great. Not amazing like the other Indy films but it holds its own. I've never understood the hate it gets. 19 years later? What did you or anyone expect? I'd say it's a miracle we got another Indy film at all and am thankful. It made almost 800 mil, has a 77% Fresh rating and did what it needed to do: it ubdated the franchise into another decade and continued Indy's story.
    Part on Indy's strength is that there is a Nazi presence in the films, and the Nazis are a group we can all hate for what they did. With KOTCS it was like "here's Russians doing bad things, kill them". Russians are victimized in media a hella too much these days for my taste. The Cold War is over, store away the animosity. Without the Russians all we have hear is a stupid plot, unneeded CGI in a series with great real time action, characters way too old that should never have been involved, a crappy attempt at a continuation, and the lost dignity of a director who finally gave in like a little baby to the pacifier after Lucas complained and moaned for almost two decades. For shame, Steve, for shame!
    The Nazi's were in 2/3 of the previous films so not all of them. Also, you forgot to mention that an entire race was portrayed rather negatively in ToD. I remember reading it was met with controversy because of how it portrayed black/foreign people.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    The Nazi's were in 2/3 of the previous films so not all of them. Also, you forgot to mention that an entire race was portrayed rather negatively in ToD. I remember reading it was met with controversy because of how it portrayed black/foreign people.

Yes, as I said before, TOD is a flabby flop of a film. Not because of the way it portrays Indians (or whoever they're supposed to be), but because it's rubbish and has no Nazis.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:

Yes, as I said before, TOD is a flabby flop of a film. Not because of the way it portrays Indians (or whoever they're supposed to be), but because it's rubbish and has no Nazis.
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    A three-way slug fest between three of the worst movies of all time. My money is on Darth Brosnan to fence his way to victory, after using his pain-face to defeat those mysterious Crytal Skulls.

Massive hyperbole in this claim. Giimme a freaking break here dude. Worst of ALL TIME? Have you seen Ecks V. Sever? Battlefield Earth? Plan 9 From Outter Space? Stop with the hate already. That's nonsense.

They are the weakest of their prospective series but that's all. All of them are BO juggernauts, all had decent to good critical response, and all get unfairly blasted by judgemental, over bearing, idiotic fans. No offence.

DAD is annoying and goes off the deep end in the final act but it ain't that bad. Look at the facts: 431 mil at the BO, 59% rating at Rotten Tomatoes, just a smidge below "Fresh". That's not a horrible film, not by the general consensus anyway. Same with Phantum Menance. I don't like the movie but it made a BILLION DOLLARS and sits around 58% at RT.

Crystal is a great adventure film. Yeah, great. Not amazing like the other Indy films but it holds its own. I've never understood the hate it gets. 19 years later? What did you or anyone expect? I'd say it's a miracle we got another Indy film at all and am thankful. It made almost 800 mil, has a 77% Fresh rating and did what it needed to do: it ubdated the franchise into another decade and continued Indy's story.

You need to get into the positive spirit of the thread more. It's about positively embracing the bashing of these 3 almost universally derided and cynical movies. Your negativity towards the thread and its up-beat agenda gets me down.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I quite enjoy TOD but it falls short compared to the other two (and arguably KOTCS aswell).
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I quite enjoy TOD but it falls short compared to the other two (and arguably KOTCS aswell).

The Indy films just seemed to work best with Nazis + Old Testament mumbo jumbo formula.
    Oh, Short Round. Even countless times of pounding you into the dirt in Lego Indy can't make up for what you've done to my mind...
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

The Indy films just seemed to work best with Nazis + Old Testament mumbo jumbo formula.
    Where I come from that's called religion. ;)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

It's because it's TOO cartooney. I know Indy has never been about "realism" but there were too many (annoying) cliches like Kate Capshaw, Shortround and Mola Ram.
    Oh, Short Round. Even countless times of pounding you into the dirt in Lego Indy can't make up for what you've done to my mind...

"We found the dead raped bodies of Yoda and Shortround tied up in the closet" :)) :))

"Where I come from that's called religion. ;)"

Sensitivity was never his strong suit :p
    ^
    What's that from @BAIN123? :))
    Its a quote from the South Park episode where the boys were traumatised after seeing their "friend" get raped. The "friend" was Indiana Jones and he was raped by George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Probrem
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Its a quote from the South Park episode where the boys were traumatised after seeing their "friend" get raped. The "friend" was Indiana Jones and he was raped by George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Probrem

Love that episode, especially the parts at the cinema.

"THEY'RE RAPING HIM!" "Why aliens? Aliens don't belong in an Indiana Jones movie!"

"Bleeuggghhh!" and then Butters: "I thought it was pretty good :)"

Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

The_Reaper wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

You need to get into the positive spirit of the thread more. It's about positively embracing the bashing of these 3 almost universally derided and cynical movies. Your negativity towards the thread and its up-beat agenda gets me down.

You sir, are clueless.

I have never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies, but TPM, the two Schumacher Batman movies and DAD are not even close to being the worst movies ever IMO. I think DAD is great and TPM is ok, I loved it as a child (saw it in the cinema in 1999).

I think "Sweet Home Alabama" should be included among the worst movies ever. I saw it 4 years ago and remember about 1000 facepalms and nausea from those 2 wasted hours.
    Getafix wrote:

I actually enjoyed the switch to the Russians. After the Nazis had their run in Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade, it was time for a switch. I think people would have disliked KOTCS if the Nazis had been used because it would have been for a third time, and the plot at that point might become very recycled. It's funny, but I actually really love both The Phantom Menace and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I have no idea why people would dislike them so much.