The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @SirHilaryBray, and again, you're completely mixing up what I'm saying, because still, you choose to attack me over a harmless response. You said many make the mistake in mixing them up, and I replied with saying that I don't know anyone who does - not once does that try to negate or belittle what you're saying, my response to your statement was that I didn't know anyone who does, thus, I've never heard of that before. Hell, I didn't know anyone ever made that mixup until someone brought up the transgendered FYEO extra and I read about it in an article, which just reverts back to me not knowing anyone who does it because I hadn't heard of it before myself.

I can't explain it any more clearly than that. If you're still somehow taking issue with what I'm saying, feel free to PM me and discuss it further. You're seeing my posts as something they're not; there's no drama or argument I'm trying to start, I'm only a little confused as to why I'm deemed an a-hole for a simple statement you ran with incorrectly.

And no, you're correct, I don't take kindly to anyone calling me an a-hole, whether it's a veteran or a rookie. Me being a mod is irrelevant, you just shouldn't do it. It's called having manners, or being able to have a discussion without resorting to name calling, and assuming I'm an a-hole because you misconstrued my post isn't necessarily fair.

TL;DR: My response to you was harmless and came out the wrong way. What you think I was getting at wasn't what I was actually getting at.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited August 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @SirHilaryBray, and again, you're completely mixing up what I'm saying, because still, you choose to attack me over a harmless response. You said many make the mistake in mixing them up, and I replied with saying that I don't know anyone who does - not once does that try to negate or belittle what you're saying, my response to your statement was that I didn't know anyone who does, thus, I've never heard of that before. Hell, I didn't know anyone ever made that mixup until someone brought up the transgendered FYEO extra and I read about it in an article, which just reverts back to me not knowing anyone who does it because I hadn't heard of it before myself.

I can't explain it any more clearly than that. If you're still somehow taking issue with what I'm saying, feel free to PM me and discuss it further. You're seeing my posts as something they're not; there's no drama or argument I'm trying to start, I'm only a little confused as to why I'm deemed an a-hole for a simple statement you ran with incorrectly.

And no, you're correct, I don't take kindly to anyone calling me an a-hole, whether it's a veteran or a rookie. Me being a mod is irrelevant, you just shouldn't do it. It's called having manners, or being able to have a discussion without resorting to name calling, and assuming I'm an a-hole because you misconstrued my post isn't necessarily fair.

TL;DR: My response to you was harmless and came out the wrong way. What you think I was getting at wasn't what I was actually getting at.

Well that's cool then mate, I accept that it was a misunderstanding and that there was nothing meant by it. Were cool.
    B-)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Wow PM with Creasy what a stand up guy. Just goes to show on here things can be read or worded wrongly and it can spiral without anything to it. Lesson learned.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited August 2015 Posts: 3,675
    Redacted
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Hi, fellow agents. Can anyone tell me in which films we see Bond's handwriting? I'm aware of the photo of Tatiana and Bond's message to the CIA regarding Operation Grand Slam, but I'm sure there are more. Cheers in advance.
    Yea its a shame they cant do a film every 2 years. Yes films are much more harder and expensive to make these days, but I agree MGW just seems so out of it now. Cubby was producing Bond movies every 2 years until he was 80. MGW is only 73 and gets tired after making 1. I think its time for his sons to take over or for Barbara to be the sole producer.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited August 2015 Posts: 3,157
    QBranch wrote: »
    Hi, fellow agents. Can anyone tell me in which films we see Bond's handwriting? I'm aware of the photo of Tatiana and Bond's message to the CIA regarding Operation Grand Slam, but I'm sure there are more. Cheers in advance.
    In this deleted scene of AVTAK. Too bad it was left out, it almost made me roll on the floor laughing. :))

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there

In AVTAK, Bond writes down specifics about Operation Main Strike while listening to the tape that Pola recovered from Zorin's oil well. I love how he slowly and purposefully writes a huge question mark to make clear to the audience that he doesn't have the foggiest what it's all about.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 2,055
    Bond writes in Goldfinger too... the note he puts in Mr Solo's pocket.

(Edit) I see you have that. Whoops.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    edited August 2015 Posts: 538
    Which Bond film best captures each decade: the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, the 90s and the 00s?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

In AVTAK, Bond writes down specifics about Operation Main Strike while listening to the tape that Pola recovered from Zorin's oil well. I love how he slowly and purposefully writes a huge question mark to make clear to the audience that he doesn't have the foggiest what it's all about.

In Moonraker he also starts using the pen disguised as a huge needle that Holly has in her hotel. Part of her CIA bag of tricks.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 13,892
    @Walecs I've never seen that before- and cannot imagine it making the final cut, but it's pretty funny nonetheless! I've looked elsewhere online and have found perhaps a slightly higher quality version of that scene to get a better glimpse of the writing, cheers. I've seen that exact 'J. Bond' signature style elsewhere, but cannot think where.
    @Mallory Great minds think alike, eh?- Or should I say Fienne minds ;) Thank you for your input, regardless.
    @Benny I completely forgot about that scene, thanks buddy. I might have to watch the film again and get a refresher. He does start to write something, but it's unclear to me what it says- perhaps it's just a random squiggle to test the ink.
    @MayDayDiVicenzo This is exactly what I was looking for, cheers. It's a great close-up, and needless to say, comes up incredibly clear on bluray. It does appear to be Roger's hand, too.

It's interesting to see how many different writing styles one person can have :)) Something a spy would need to be skilled at, I suppose. Many many thanks, gentlemen- your time and effort is greatly appreciated.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Which Bond film best captures each decade: the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, the 90s and the 00s?

60's: OHMSS - has all the greatness of the best movie decade ever
    70's: LALD - captures marvelously the bad taste in clothes, cars and everything really
    80's: AVTAK - the rich and the beautiful in the land of prosperity
    90's: TND - captures the technology and the rise of the media perfectly
    00's: DAD - exactly the kind of movie that ruled Hollywood from 2000-2005, fun, over-the-top, gigantism.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There is a photograph of Richard Nixon in DAF, and one of Ronald Reagan in NSNA. I am sure there are more world leaders who have received this honour in the Bond films, but cannot exactly remember who and where. Anyone?
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Where is the photo of Nixon in DAF, out of interest?
    Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second in OHMSS comes to mind immediately.
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    Where is the photo of Nixon in DAF, out of interest?

If I remember correctly, it is on the desk in Leiter s headquarter.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Gerard wrote: »
    Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second in OHMSS comes to mind immediately.

Thanks, how could I forget that one? Isn t there a picture of Clinton in one of the 90s films as well?
    Heres a question

Would you rather have the Bond series end on a high note? or Have it being forced to end due to bad movies?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Heres a question

Would you rather have the Bond series end on a high note? or Have it being forced to end due to bad movies?

The latter. Even the "bad" ones have some redeeming qualities in them. Not enough to save the film though...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I just hope that Craig avoids the "fourth movie" curse.
    But TB proves there is no curse.
    echo wrote: »

The 4th film tho is usually the most successful film for the Bond actor Thunderball, Moonraker, Die Another Day were the most successful films for Conenry, Moore, and Brosnan so I defiantly see Spectre being the most successful one for Craig

The 4th film tho is usually the most successful film for the Bond actor Thunderball, Moonraker, Die Another Day were the most successful films for Conenry, Moore, and Brosnan so I defiantly see Spectre being the most successful one for Craig

Successful financially, not generally quality wise.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Murdock wrote: »
    I have a very complicated and twisty theory that explains Blofeld doesn't recognize Bond in OHMSS, but it's just a personal fan theory to satisfy my need for creating continuity between Bond films. :p

The Blofeld in YOLT is a decoy who oversees the SPECTRE Japanese lair. He looks like the real Blofeld though who is the one seen in OHMSS/FYEO.

Henderson is a SPECTRE agent who has his death faked when Bond arrives to his home and takes over as head Decoy during the events of DAF, But the leads to my next theory that DAF is a direct Sequel to YOLT as the first scene takes place in Japan.(vague I know but I'm crazy like that.) Bond suspects Henderson (posing as Blofeld) is the genuine article and kills his doubles and Henderson for good. Which leads to OHMSS and finally Blofeld's end in FYEO.

That's the short and sweet version and my personal theory to tie everything up. :P

A little convoluted but fun. Imaginative, that's for sure.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Heres a question

Neither.
    Mallory wrote: »

Successful financially, not generally quality wise.

That 4th movie thing is just a coincidence.

Skyfall is Craig's Thunderball. Definitely.
    Both were gigantically successful at the time.
    TB hardly ever makes the top half of any Bond list (in general).
    SF already is slipping somewhat in general opinion and will undoubtably end up in the lower half of any lists once it is old enough.

Spectre could be Craig's From Russia With Love, it sure looks like it.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,130
    Ok i feel a bitt a shamed for asking this but Can someone explain me a bitt better the grand slam plott?

I think it was explained in the movie a little too fast, i know it was about exploding the gold mine and making the priece of Gold go to its highest but. but why would this create a worldie economic crisis ?
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    In short-

Goldfinger intends to detonate an atomic bomb in the Fort Knox gold depository in order to increase the value of his gold tenfold. The gold at Fort Knox would be rendered valueless due to its radioactivity, thus leading to economic turmoil in the West. The atomic bomb was supplied by the Chinese in order for them to emerge as the new world power as they would benefit greatly from the crisis in the West.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    @MayDayDiVicenzo, since I have you here, even if the bomb goes off in OP, and NATO goes forth with unilateral disarmament (a stretch), does it follow that Orloff will be able to consolidate enough power to start a war against the West?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In short-

Goldfinger intends to detonate an atomic bomb in the Fort Knox gold depository in order to increase the value of his gold tenfold. The gold at Fort Knox would be rendered valueless due to its radioactivity, thus leading to economic turmoil in the West. The atomic bomb was supplied by the Chinese in order for them to emerge as the new world power as they would benefit greatly from the crisis in the West.

Coincidentally, the 2008 Financial Crisis sort of did the same thing, in terms of potentially accelerating the pace of resetting the world order in favour of the Chinese.