The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Would James Bond ever hook up with a Gay guy? Would the producers ever do that in the movies?

There's really no point in asking a question like this that has been asked many, many times before. It's the same as asking "Should James Bond be black?", and it always ends up one way: argumentative discussions.

We have already a Transex Bond girl. All though it was not part of the plot. Then there was that Skyfall line "who says it's my 1st time" likely tongue and cheek. But Bond is ruthless in his pursuing if sleeping with a man got him closer to his objectives he would do it.

Exactly. I think it be interesting so to try that in a Bond movie
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Or maybe they would've just opened up the PTS for DAF with Connery's Bond waking up in a cold sweat and OHMSS all being just a dream.

Wasn t it DAF that was a dream, Moore having dreamt that he was Connery and waking up in LALD?

There is a whole thread dedicated to this fantastic theory.

Oh yeah. I forgot all about @doubleohdad's (if memory serves me correctly) crazy theories.
    doubleohdads theory would be that the entire Moore era was a dream.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    @SirHilaryBray, while it may have been a big deal at the time, it doesn't negate the fact that I don't personally know anyone who made that mistake. Never said it didn't happen, though, nor am I sure why you thought I said that.

You were just being arrogant with your point, why else say "I don't know anyone who does that". That comment could only have been meant with one thought process, because you don't know anyone therefore what I was saying was bogus or without any foundation. If not why say it? because I can't see any other reasonable explanation for you to write it. Maybe you should either be a little more respectful to others posting, or put a bit more thought in to what your writing, just because its a forum doesn't give you a licence to behave like an A hole.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,371
    @SirHilaryBray, not sure where you get off calling me an a-hole, nor can I find where either post reflected such an attitude. I made one statement off of something ridiculous (calling a background extra a Bond girl) and all I said was that I knew of nobody who has ever made the mixup of thinking it was Bouquet - since it was a big deal at the time of the film's release, and I had never heard of that mixup before, that's all I was getting at. Why you ran with that and thought I was being rude and arguing is beyond me.

The one thing I do know is that it's not wise to spout off calling someone a name (mod or not), especially when you've been here such a short time, simply because you misconstrued the point they were making.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I have a question for you, my dear Bond aficionados. Is On Her Majesty's Secret Service the only film not to have a boat/ship in it?

DN: Bond and Quarrel go to Crab Key
    FRWL: SPECTRE meeting boat
    GF: There is a boat on the River Thames during the establishing shot before the M/Bond briefing scene.
    TB: The Disco Volante
    YOLT: The Ning-Po
    OHMSS: ?
    DAF: The Queen Elizabeth
    LALD: Bond and Quarrel Jnr this time!
    TMWTGG: Scaramanga's Junk
    Spy: The Lipaurs
    MR: The Bondola
    FYEO: St George's Spy Ship
    OP: Octopussy's Junk
    AVTAK: The Iceberg! (or the end credits scene of the Golden Gate Bridge)
    TLD: Leiter's boat
    LTK: The Wavekrest
    GE: Several boats in Monaco Harbour
    TND: Stealth Boat
    TWINE: Sunseeker vs the Q-Boat
    DAD: Jinx's Sunseeker
    CR: Le Chiffre's boat
    QoS: The boat chase
    SF: Severine's boat
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    There's the little boat the one baddie tells Bond to lay in. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That is a great observation, never thought about this. NSNA also has a boat of course. SPECTRE does, too.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 45,489
    On second tought, @royale65, there is a stranded boat on the beach in the PTS
    Ah, of course! Thank you old chaps!

Ages ago, my mate said that he didn't enjoy Bond films with boats in, meaning the underwater sequences in Thunderball, For Your Eyes Only and Tomorrow Never Dies for example. So I responding thusly. Many thanks again.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    That's a quite remarkable list and factoid regarding boats in all of the Bond films, @royale65. Thanks and well spotted!
    So boats and cars are in all Bond films. How preposterous.
    Anyone care to count up the planes, while we are at it? ;-)
    edited August 2015 Posts: 45,489
    royale65 wrote: »
    Anyone care to count up the planes, while we are at it? ;-)

The only film I cannot remember any aircraft from is CR. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edit- I am wrong. Bond takes a plane to Bahamas.

And the scene in Miami. I am getting senile or drunk or both.
    Boats, cars, aircraft of some sort in every Bond film. Quite a revelation. Wouldn t it be nice to see a film without?
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    edited August 2015 Posts: 538
    Did Bond ever go rogue prior to LTK? Would be surprised if it took that long.
    The only Bond film where Bond does not drive a car is YOLT. Fact. :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Well he kind of goes rogue in OHMSS, secretly tracing Blofeld to Switzerland after M relieves him of Operation Bedlam. Also the final assault on Piz Gloria with Draco and his men is against M's orders.

Benny wrote: »

Well he kind of goes rogue in OHMSS, secretly tracing Blofeld to Switzerland after M relieves him of Operation Bedlam. Also the final assault on Piz Gloria with Draco and his men is against M's orders.

Good call. Forgot about that one. Just watched it 2 nights ago too.
    Alright … another question….

Did it really take until Bond 23 for a bad guy (Patrice) to put a bullet in Bond? No wonder Bond keeps winning, the enemy shooting % is dismal.
  • Alright … another question….

Did it really take until Bond 23 for a bad guy (Patrice) to put a bullet in Bond? No wonder Bond keeps winning, the enemy shooting % is dismal.

Bond gets shot in the leg during the Junkanoo chase in Thunderball.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,728
    Birdleson wrote: »
    At least two times in Fleming's novels.

In the side of the head as he escapes the Castle of Death in YOLT and a poisoned slug from Scaramanga's Derringer in TMWTGG.

And, as stated above Bond also gets shot in the leg in the film version of Thunderball during the Junkanoo scene.

So there's your answers, @AntiLocqueBrakes. :)
    Sweetness…Figure a lot of these questions I could just look up…but while I got you guys…

…here's another…

How did EON get LALD and TMWGG out in back-to-back years? Only time that's happened. What's the context? Why the rush? Did either film suffer from accelerated production in your opinion?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It's not the only time that it happened; DN - TB were produced and released in four consecutive years.

And if you look at release dates, LALD was released in June of '73, and TMWTGG was released late December of '74, so it was a year and a half, which is a factor.

Man…embarrassing. Good point. Forgot about the first four.

I thought about the question looking at the timeline for Bond 25. Wondered what it would be like to get that kind of turnaround today.
  • Sweetness…Figure a lot of these questions I could just look up…but while I got you guys…

…here's another…

How did EON get LALD and TMWGG out in back-to-back years? Only time that's happened. What's the context? Why the rush? Did either film suffer from accelerated production in your opinion?

It was actually a year and a half with LALD being released in the summer of 73 and TMWTGG being released for Christmas of 74. They had the same gap between DAF (Christmas 71) and LALD. It looks like two years but was actually a year and a half.
    Got you. 1.5 years was kind of the standard at the moment then.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,778
    Got you. 1.5 years was kind of the standard at the moment then.

Yep. Than after TSWLM it became 2 years. Now it seems like it's become 3. The only time since 1999 that there's been a 2 year gap between Bond films was with CR and QOS and look at all the problems that arose from that production. Plus Michael Wilson went on record saying how much the two year gap between CR and QOS exhausted him and how he needed a break. Cubby never complained and he produced 7 Bond films inside of 12 years.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It's a shame EON is not capable anymore of doing a proper timetable for its franchise.
    While every studio around them can plan and produce several movies within a few years they cannot, MGW is just too old and should retire.

Why can't they plan ahead for three movies. Hire an actor with a three movie contract, hire the director or directors for those movies and have the scripts done for once before shooting begins.
    If they want the Bond franchise to survive after Craig (which is soon) then they have to make a longterm plan and stick to timetables.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Let's stick to the Q&A format of this thread then. Opinions can be voiced in any number of other threads.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It's a shame EON is not capable anymore of doing a proper timetable for its franchise.
    While every studio around them can plan and produce several movies within a few years they cannot, MGW is just too old and should retire.

Why can't they plan ahead for three movies. Hire an actor with a three movie contract, hire the director or directors for those movies and have the scripts done for once before shooting begins.
    If they want the Bond franchise to survive after Craig (which is soon) then they have to make a longterm plan and stick to timetables.

Realistically look at the MI films. Those have been increasingly large gaps between films.

MI-MI2- 4 Years
    MI2-MI3- 6 Years
    MI3-MIGP- 5 Years
    MIGP-MIRN- 4 Years

As I am not a film for the huge gaps, we have seen that with time, we are given good Bond films with the exception of DAD.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited August 2015 Posts: 2,138
    @SirHilaryBray, not sure where you get off calling me an a-hole, nor can I find where either post reflected such an attitude. I made one statement off of something ridiculous (calling a background extra a Bond girl) and all I said was that I knew of nobody who has ever made the mixup of thinking it was Bouquet - since it was a big deal at the time of the film's release, and I had never heard of that mixup before, that's all I was getting at. Why you ran with that and thought I was being rude and arguing is beyond me.

The one thing I do know is that it's not wise to spout off calling someone a name (mod or not), especially when you've been here such a short time, simply because you misconstrued the point they were making.

Creasy, I am sorry if I misunderstood however I can see no other reason for your comment other than an attempt to belittle what I was saying. There was just no need for you to say "I don't know anyone who does that". It's a matter of Bond folk lore not just of its time, its something confused with history. It was also to point of EON historically being diverse in it's casting. You were very arrogant and thoughtless in your response. Perhaps you have gotten away with lording it up for so long that people you with your "Mod" powers that you will ban them. However if someone acts Mr big and tries to belittle me then yes I will call them an A hole. If you think what you wrote in response to my post was acceptable for a Mod who is supposed to lead by example?

What would it also matter how long I am member, should all members not be treated equally?.