The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Maybe not a question, but an observation. Why are the other 00s shown to panic, in ways that Bond never would? Baines in LALD, the agent whose rope is cut during the PTS of TLD, that clown agent in OP. They all either scream, "No!', or look as frightened as little girls. I realize we accept Bond as the best, and he's the hero, etc., but these are trained, experienced 007s. Always rubs me the wrong way. You don't see Sylva or Janus behaving that way. That's because they turned evil, I guess.

To make Bond look even cooler under pressure by comparison.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    If I was being chased through an eerie forest at dusk by two Russian knife throwers, I think I'd be pretty frightened, too.

And if I was plummeting to my death.

But I suppose Bond isn't as fearless as he seems at times, either.

Bond was visibly sweating when about to be castrated by Auric's laser beam.

Lazenby's Bond look petrified in some of his scenes in OHMSS.

Bond looked scared in the centrifuge scene in Moonraker, also.
    Perhaps, but as I say, Bond isn't always as calm and collected as we come to expect. The scene in OHMSS when he is spooked by the bear mascot springs to mind.

Bond goes through the same ordeal as 009 in OP, and he looks equally as panicky.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Bond actually looks more concerned than 009 did.
    I vaguely remember there being a similar instance from the Junkanoo scene in Thunderball, when Bond is escaping from Fiona with a wounded foot.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2014 Posts: 28,694
    While Bond is a highly trained 00 agent, we shouldn't conclude from that that he is fearless. Bond is simply hiding all of his fears with a mask of sorts, which helps to appease and mitigate his own concerns, make the villains think he isn't vulnerable, and to help those around him to relax more in the face of danger.

Many here have supplied a myriad of examples where Bond is nervous, anxious, scared and out of his wits, which the series supplies in great numbers. One of the crowning moments is in OP as Bond looks hopeless and rightfully on edge trying to shut the bomb off at the circus. A great moment of biting tension, so much so that you forget about Bond being in a silly clown suit. Plenty of the franchise's films provide countless moments of Bond breaking that mask and showing his human fears, which is what is always so fascinating about the character and his humanity. He isn't perfect, he gets scared, and sometimes he takes hits for it. Such is the brilliance of James Bond, and I doubt any one of us would act any differently than he in these kinds of high-octane situations.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Great tension, but I still don't forget the clown get-up.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 654
    Just finished watching GF, and there's on thing thing I noticed this time that I have'nt before. In Goldfinger´s jet, when he asks Mai-Li for his black attaché and she says that it's been damaged during examination. Is this a reference to FRWL?? Is it meant to be the same case?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just finished wtching GF, and there's on thing thing I noticed this time that I have'nt before. In Goldfinger jet, when he asks Mai-Li for his black attaché and she says that it's been damaged during examination. Is this a reference to FRWL?? Is it meant to be the same case?

Hmm, I've never thought of that. It could very well be that Bond kept using that case, yes. Very interesting thought to bring up...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Just finished wtching GF, and there's on thing thing I noticed this time that I have'nt before. In Goldfinger jet, when he asks Mai-Li for his black attaché and she says that it's been damaged during examination. Is this a reference to FRWL?? Is it meant to be the same case?

Hmm, I've never thought of that. It could very well be that Bond kept using that case, yes. Very interesting thought to bring up...

It could explain why it looks like this.
    attache.jpg
  • Murdock wrote: »

It could explain why it looks like this.
    attache.jpg

Christ! It look's like sh*t!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Just finished watching GF, and there's on thing thing I noticed this time that I have'nt before. In Goldfinger´s jet, when he asks Mai-Li for his black attaché and she says that it's been damaged during examination. Is this a reference to FRWL?? Is it meant to be the same case?
    I always assumed it was the same attache case from FRWL, because 1) when Mei-Lei claims it was 'damaged' upon examination, Bond doesn't seem too disappointed, and quickly dismisses the issue- it's like he expected it to be confiscated, and 2) if the attache case was merely damaged (as opposed to lost), why would they keep it from him, and not allow him to inspect the damage himself? It seems pretty clear to me that it was either the same case, or another gadget-laden one.

While we're on this scene, one little niggle I've always had is the pronunciation of 'Mei-Lei'. Both Bond and Pussy pronounce her name as 'my-LEE', then after they exit the plane, it sounds like Pussy pronounces it as 'my-LAY'. Perhaps Pussy let the cat (no pun) out of the bag, revealing to us just what kind of relationship she has with 'My Lay'...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    QBranch wrote: »
    after they exit the plane, it sounds like Pussy pronounces it as 'my-LAY'.
    Get your mind out of the gutter, dude.
    :))
    haha. I'm serious- she says 'My LAY', but then quickly follows it up with "will you see everything's all right with Mr Goldfinger?", that you hardly notice until you replay it over and over.
    QBranch wrote: »
    haha. I'm serious- she says 'My LAY', but then quickly follows it up with "will you see everything's all right with Mr Goldfinger?", that you hardly notice until you replay it over and over.
    LOL, that's funny! Wow, more risqué than I remembered.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,929
    We hear what we want to hear ;)
  • I believe I know the answer. I'll put it in spoilers in case others want to play:
    Are you referring to the guy who plays Bob Connelly, who I believe also plays some kind of military officer in Never Say Never Again?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Manning Redwood as Some_Kind_Of_Hero has mentioned. AVTAK as Bob Conely, and a General or Military chap in NSNA.

I think that's three of us who know the answer. Any reason for the question @Birdleson ?? Or just curious.
    Yep, I believe I know the answer, too. It was one of @Baltimore_007's legendary "Guess the character" clues not so long back.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Yes MayDay, it was my entry on that thread.

That was the first one I solved. If a vegetable had done his research... ;-)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I never quite understood how in TND the sea-vac saw thingy is able to move up, down and around the HMS Devonshire.
  • Mallory wrote: »
    I never quite understood how in TND the sea-vac saw thingy is able to move up, down and around the HMS Devonshire.

I had always assumed the sea-vac was controlled by remote, which would make sense since that's what it looks like on the stealth boat's display screen and that would explain its freedom of movement. Then I saw the ONE shot that displays the sea-vac with the umbilical attached, which really makes it kind of hard to imagine that the umbilical reaches all the way from the stealth boat and winds up through the Devonshire without getting snared on anything.

I just kind of ignore that one shot and pretend the sea-vac is remotely controlled. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Or you can do like me, and ignore the whole film altogether.
    If the Moonraker henchman's name is Chang, why does everyone in the film appear to say Cha?

Bond says to Goodhead "Your friend Cha just tried to kill me" and Drax later says he will need "a replacement for Cha".
    Or you can do like me, and ignore the whole film altogether.

Virtual bitch-slap sent. :))
    %-(
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    If the Moonraker henchman's name is Chang, why does everyone in the film appear to say Cha?

Bond says to Goodhead "Your friend Cha just tried to kill me" and Drax later says he will need "a replacement for Cha".

Any takers on this?

Any takers on this?

That is very confusi if true, but not sure what you are getti at?

Any takers on this?

That is very confusi if true, but not sure what you are getti at?

I'm not ly. If you haven't seen it in a lo while, give it another viewi.

I am sure you are ba on the money.