The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Ok, thank you.It's a pity! :( But which poison is it now?

I refer you to my original post Nitro Glycerine.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Either that or some unknown plant extract from the Garden of Death.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Aki's poison may be anything, even a viscous solution of potassium cyanide for all we know. ;-)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Pixie dust run through a coffee maker, clearly.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    In FRWL when Bond shows Grant the gold sovereigns, Grant then asks if the other case (from Captain Nash) contains the same.

Bond very clearly hesitates here in a way that Grant can't fail to notice, but I've never been clear on whether Bond actually wants to open the case himself or not.

Does Bond realise at that moment that Nash's case might contain a gun, or is he deliberately pausing for so long in order to trick Grant into realising there's something suspicious in the case and therefore going to open it himself?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've always assumed that Bond just didn't know what was in the case. Since Q Branch designed it to look like an ordinary attache case, it may very well have been an ordinary attache case, for all Bond knew.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bond knew it was rigged because he checked it after Grant and Tatiana went off to the restaurant car.
    I thought he was checking his own in that scene.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I thought he might have been suspicious of him and checked his case for his contents.
  • What is "The Iron Crab?" It's a disease Kerim mentions he might die of in the book FRWL. My guess is some kind of sexual thing, Kerim being Kerim, but I'd like to know for sure.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Dr_Roberts wrote: »
    What is "The Iron Crab?" It's a disease Kerim mentions he might die of in the book FRWL. My guess is some kind of sexual thing, Kerim being Kerim, but I'd like to know for sure.

A quick Google search suggest it refers to heart disease.

Benny wrote: »
    Dr_Roberts wrote: »
    What is "The Iron Crab?" It's a disease Kerim mentions he might die of in the book FRWL. My guess is some kind of sexual thing, Kerim being Kerim, but I'd like to know for sure.

A quick Google search suggest it refers to heart disease.

Sounds like it needs to be dealt with on "Embarrassing Bodies!" show! :)) ;)
  • Thanks! When you hear "crab" in a disease it's usually something sexual, and with Kerim being apparently an even more legendary man-whore than Bond I thought it was worth checking.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2014 Posts: 15,690
    Where do villains/henchmen get their gun firing training? 50 years & 23 movies and not one of the gazillion bullets aimed at Bond has managed to hit him. The only person who managed to shoot him is Moneypenny in SF. Bond villains with their aiming technique make the FBI in Die Hard look like professionals :P
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 40,492
    @DaltonCraig007, he was shot in TB and by Patrice in SF. He also got hit by a nailgun during the finale in CR. ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, he was shot in TB and by Patrice in SF. ;)

Little bit drunk right now.. when did Patrice shoot him in SF?

edited August 2014 Posts: 7,854
    One of his ricochets got him while he was in the construction equipment. That's where he gets the bullet that leads them to Patrice in China.

Plus, every henchman or cannon fodder soldier learns the ins and outs of hero shooting under the guidance of Darth Vader on the Death Star's fourth level, where they're given special helmets that put the targets two feet left of center. Advanced classes are three feet right and one foot down from center.
  • Anyone know the reason why Fleming chose SMERSH as his first villainous organization before he created SPECTRE? The organization really did exist, but only during World War II and was thus dissolved before even the first book was published. Why not, say, the KGB?
    Probably so that he could get away with using the organization.

Did Monica van der Syl dub Carola Bouquet in FYEO? I am asking this, because I was watching a Luis Buñuel-movie from 1977 in which Carols starred. It was actually her first movie. And IMO that is Carol's real voice.

Secondly, I always had the idea that Bouquets voice was dubbed by van der Syl. Maybe in FYEO Monica sounds slightly "older", with lower tones. But still, it is as similar to me as Kissy in YOLT
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have really never thought her voice was dubbed, but I'm no expert on Carole. Or any van der Syl. I sure hope she was not dubbed.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    There is no listing for Van der Zyl on iMBD like there usually is if she dubs somebody. I don't believe she did, anyhow. By FYEO, the Bond girl dubbing frenzy had started to die down.
    Just a quick search informs me that Nikki van der Zyl stepped in one last time for Moonraker to provide the voice of Corinne Clery, so the answer is no. All that is said is that Carole Bouquet was dubbed by a 40-something woman in For Your Eyes Only, whilst Carole dubbed herself in the French version. It appears that this 40-something woman remains anonymous.
    This isn't a 'traditional' Bond question but it doesn't really fit anywhere else. Would you recommend the 50th anniversary Blu Ray set? I have everything on DVD but I notice that it's $110 on Amazon right now- the cheapest I've seen it in a while.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,119
    bondsum wrote: »
    Just a quick search informs me that Nikki van der Zyl stepped in one last time for Moonraker to provide the voice of Corinne Clery, so the answer is no. All that is said is that Carole Bouquet was dubbed by a 40-something woman in For Your Eyes Only, whilst Carole dubbed herself in the French version. It appears that this 40-something woman remains anonymous.

Told you! By the way, I meant Monica van der Zyl, but usually she was called "Nikki" van der Zyl.

I think some proper detective research is needed now. I want to know who dubbed Carole in "FYEO"! I heard that her book "For Your Ears Only" was pulled from stores, after "someone" threathened to sue her. But for what? Since when do we treat "dubbers" as outcasts?

This website gives you some insight...that.....even made me think why we haven't read it before on the independent MI6-HQ.com: http://www.nikkivanderzyl.co.uk/page2_1.htm
    This isn't a 'traditional' Bond question but it doesn't really fit anywhere else. Would you recommend the 50th anniversary Blu Ray set? I have everything on DVD but I notice that it's $110 on Amazon right now- the cheapest I've seen it in a while.

I got only last month, and I would thoroughly recommend it.

The films look beautiful, and there are tonnes and tonnes of bonus features, documentaries, and everything Bond.

It's the jewel in my Bond collection.

It's a very good box set - as said elsewhere, the picture quality is superb on these discs and there are a never-ending source of documentaries and features. As with Birdleson, I bought the box set when it first came out so I have a slot for Skyfall, which I haven't filled yet...Skyfall remains in its own case for now.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Did Monica van der Syl dub Carola Bouquet in FYEO? I am asking this, because I was watching a Luis Buñuel-movie from 1977 in which Carols starred. It was actually her first movie. And IMO that is Carol's real voice.

Secondly, I always had the idea that Bouquets voice was dubbed by van der Syl. Maybe in FYEO Monica sounds slightly "older", with lower tones. But still, it is as similar to me as Kissy in YOLT

Bouquet was not dubbed. It is her voice in the movie.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

This website gives you some insight...that.....even made me think why we haven't read it before on the independent MI6-HQ.com: http://www.nikkivanderzyl.co.uk/page2_1.htm

Errr because all mention of Nikki is pretty much verboten on this site. Keep up old son - this is old news.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5048/nikkigate/p1

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/105/nikki-van-der-zyl-voice-dubber-extraordinaire/p1

Wow, just been reading through the Nikkigate thread. Pretty toxic at times!
    Not fair at all that it was locked without reason.