The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

I love FYEO, but can someone explain/make some sort of sense of the hockey team?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I love FYEO, but can someone explain/make some sort of sense of the hockey team?

It was just Kristatos' goons sent to kill Bond in an accident I suppose at the ice rink. He's there visiting Bibi after all.
    In a deleted scene we see one of the Hockey players is Claus, one of Locque's men. Played by Charles Dance.

I know they were, but I am trying to understand/justify the convoluted plan: put some ice hockey equipment on then go after Bond to... Kill him or beat him up? Either way it is neither discreet nor efficient.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I know they were, but I am trying to understand/justify the convoluted plan: put some ice hockey equipment on then go after Bond to... Kill him or beat him up? Either way it is neither discreet nor efficient.

It gave them an element of surprise - if they rushed the rink in normal clothes, Bond would've had a better chance to fight back or escape, but there was nothing peculiar about some hockey players taking the ice to practice.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    They were seasoned hockey players who surely needed the money.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think they just wanted to put some hockey action in there as they had never done so before. Stupid idea.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    That was a stupid scene that added nothing to the film,a typical Moore moment.
    It was even sped up at the end which is bad editing.

If I HAD to say it had a purpose,then it would be that they were there to delay Bond as Luigi was having his throat cut by another one of Kristatos' murderers,outside.(That;s how I look at it anyway,and it makes it more palatable.)
    In Moonraker Drax is gonna repopulate the earth with his perfect humans.

Now does Drax considers himself one of those perfect humans? Does he plan to procreate himself?

Cause no offense to Drax he is quite ugly compared to his perfect humans.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It gave them an element of surprise - if they rushed the rink in normal clothes, Bond would've had a better chance to fight back or escape, but there was nothing peculiar about some hockey players taking the ice to practice.

Okay I can sort of buy that. Sort of, in a Moore movie.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Now does Drax considers himself one of those perfect humans? Does he plan to procreate himself?

He sees himself as their leader,their God,who will guide the world's population once it is cleansed of the human scum which resides there now.

Cant say I blame him for doing it..about 68% of humans on this planet are scum.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    barryt007 wrote: »

He sees himself as their leader,their God,who will guide the world's population once it is cleansed of the human scum which resides there now.

And should be killed off, right?
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339

And should be killed off, right?

Tut tut...such naughty thinking Dr....are a 'Drax' In disguise,perchance ?

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    ..about 68% of humans on this planet are scum.
    Say the other 32 per cent?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2017 Posts: 17,818
    Maybe I'm strange but I've always liked an unarmed and unassuming Bond against those ice hockey players in FYEO though I too have wondered about the motive behind it given that Kristatos is not under any suspicion from Bond at that given time.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Why wasn't there a proper Q scene in AVTAK?

Good question. Not sure. There was the gadgets in the French police station cut too.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Good question. Not sure. There was the gadgets in the French police station cut too.
    As much as I loved that scene, it felt too Clouseau-ish.

Q really wasn't needed. Not even his crazy gadgets couldn't stop Zorins craziness. It took May Day (zorins lover) helping Bond to stop him
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I have one question regarding the ending of the helicopter sequence and the line Bond speaks as it blows up in From Russia With Love.

"I'd say one of their aircrafts is missing."

Okay? Yes, other than stating the obvious, was that supposed to mean something? A pun? Double entendre? Cracking a joke? I just don't see the point of the line in that scene.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I hadn't thought of it before, but maybe relating to the previous mission with US and Russian craft going missing.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,000
    I have one question regarding the ending of the helicopter sequence and the line Bond speaks as it blows up in From Russia With Love.

Okay? Yes, other than stating the obvious, was that supposed to mean something? A pun? Double entendre? Cracking a joke? I just don't see the point of the line in that scene.

I always thought it was just a lousy attempt at a Bond quip. Much like "Where there's smoke there's fire."

I always thought it was just a lousy attempt at a Bond quip. Much like "Where there's smoke there's fire."

That's how I see it.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I always thought it was a pun on " one of our aircraft is missing " a famous WW2
    British film.
    Contrary the aircraft missing remark, the smoke and fire one was quite well-placed. At least, you'd understand why he humourously forwarded that saying in its rightful moment. Didn't know about the famous British WWII film, which one is it, @Thunderpussy?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's about an RAF crew shot down and trying to get back. It would have been well known to audiences of the time, as with the joke in Dr No with Wellington's portrait. Which I'd say has to be explained to a modern viewer ?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It's about an RAF crew shot down and trying to get back. It would have been well known to audiences of the time, as with the joke in Dr No with Wellington's portrait. Which I'd say has to be explained to a modern viewer ?

I love discovering these pop culture references in the old Bond films.
    Definitely, but what's it called?

Agreed. I find the line, if it's from that WWII film, akin to the joke cracked by Moore in Moonraker, referencing Casablanca with the "Play it, again, Sam." line.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 17,818

Agreed. I find the line, if it's from that WWII film, akin to the joke cracked by Moore in Moonraker, referencing Casablanca with the "Play it, again, Sam." line.

One of Our Aircraft is Missing (1942) is the name of the film and I read that line in the same way as @Thunderpussy does. It's the only way to read it, in fact.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

One of Our Aircraft is Missing (1942) is the name of the film and I read that line on the same way as @Thunderpussy does. It's the only way to read it, in fact.
    You're right. Just looked it up and it's evidently written here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_of_Our_Aircraft_Is_Missing#In_popular_culture
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    edited May 2017 Posts: 2,667
    Is it possible to know whether it's Mischka or Grischka in the black leather jacket visiting Lenkin early in OP?