The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• jake24 wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce The phrases "00 Section and "00 Program" are used interchangeably, the latter being said by M himself, so I wouldn't worry about it.

But I do worry about it mate. Because they are far from interchangeable. One is what it has always been called and comes from the pen of Fleming. And the other is a f**king travesty that pisses all over his grave.

To paraphrase Tony Hayers, I think you're being a bit hysterical.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce The phrases "00 Section and "00 Program" are used interchangeably, the latter being said by M himself, so I wouldn't worry about it.

But I do worry about it mate. Because they are far from interchangeable. One is what it has always been called and comes from the pen of Fleming. And the other is a f**king travesty that pisses all over his grave.
    I meant to switch the order of the phrases in my post. M says "00 Section". However, I do get what you're saying. It's a redundant change.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

To paraphrase Tony Hayers, I think you're being a bit hysterical.

Smell my cheese you mother!

I meant to switch the order of the phrases in my post. M says "00 Section". However, I do get what you're saying. It's a redundant change.

You say might use the term 'redundant change', I would say 'inane change' personally.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    It's categorically a section! Always has been and always should be, calling it the 00 programme simply strips away it's entire heritage and long standing and turns it into a whimsy type experimental department. If we are doing that we may as well call it military intelligence programme, the sas programme, etc etc. It may seem an insignificance but it really isn't when you consider the connotations.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    but the whole double 0 section being old fashioned had been done in Skyfall.

It's called the '00 program' now apparently. Get with the err program @shamanimal.

Although given M says to the policeman on the bridge '00 section' can we assume that renaming it the '00 program' was a C initiative and now that he's dead M thinks 'Right enough of that Bourne bollocks I'm going back to calling it the 00 section'.

I f**king well hope so.
    It's always bothered me that m says that. Shouldn't he just say "mallory mi6" IMHO he should be above such things, even Dame Judi chastised a hapless copper for not recognising her car!
    These little things annoy me.....a bit!
    What do we have next black ops operatives announcing themselves...."hi I'm Chriscoop black operations department, pleased to meet you Mr akhbar.....

• Don't we think that calling it the double-oh program was intended as part of the whole bureaucratisation and computerisation of MI6 that was going on in Spectre. Just like the rest of the intelligence service, double-ohs are being stripped of the human element and commodified as another "program". Just an idea.
    Chriscoop wrote: »
    It's categorically a section! Always has been and always should be, calling it the 00 programme simply strips away it's entire heritage and long standing and turns it into a whimsy type experimental department. If we are doing that we may as well call it military intelligence programme, the sas programme, etc etc. It may seem an insignificance but it really isn't when you consider the connotations.

Apart from anything else we just dont talk like that in this country.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 281
    absolutely not, a programme is either on television or an informative printed document, common at auctions, theatres and music shows.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The agents have been programmed.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The agents have been programmed.
    Do they wear sunglasses and a dark green business suit?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Any quite needless move away from the pen of Fleming will always be opposed by me. I agree the writers should not be messing around with these 'set in stone' elements of the James Bond universe.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Any quite needless move away from the pen of Fleming will always be opposed by me. I agree the writers should not be messing around with these 'set in stone' elements of the James Bond universe.

It's like Bond going from chain-smoking to not smoking at all. Wish that would make a return.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It's like Bond going from chain-smoking to not smoking at all. Wish that would make a return.

Really or are you being facetious here, Creasey?

Why is that facetious? It's a staple of Bond that doesn't exist anymore, just an aspect of his character I always enjoyed that I wish would return.

Why is that facetious? It's a staple of Bond that doesn't exist anymore, just an aspect of his character I always enjoyed that I wish would return.

Absolutely.

Everyone's happy with Bond killing people, drinking and shagging but god forbid he should have a crafty fag from time to time.

If you want to protect the kids then don't show Bond doing anything more contentious than eating organic lentils and watching The One Show.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 17,727

No, sorry, I just thought you were jokingly referring to me moaning on like an old Fleming purist git! I agree, but it's not so big a thing for me as the proper organisation of the British Secret Service. John Gardner had Bond cutting down on the fags if not stopping them altogether. Ian Fleming said in a TV interview on 'Right to Reply' once that you simply can't have thrilling heroes such as James Bond eating rice pudding!
    John Gardner had Bond cutting down on the fags if not stopping them altogether.

He also had Bond giving a one page soliloquy on how great he thought Disneyland was.

Best stick to Fleming Draggers if we're talking about how to define the character.
    @Dragonpol, definitely not, sorry you saw it that way!

@TheWizardOfIce, agreed; we've become so desensitized to violence that they'd sooner remove Bond lighting a cigarette than Bond executing people. Odd prioritization.

He also had Bond giving a one page soliloquy on how great he thought Disneyland was.

Best stick to Fleming Draggers if we're talking about how to define the character.

Well, yes. That is an often cited example of where Gardner went off the rails a bit. I'd probably agree but my love affair with NSF forbids me to even countenance it. For the Defence I would call Exhibit A: the opening chapter of Ian Fleming's OHMSS. What say the Prosecution?

Well, yes. That is an often cited example of where Gardner went off the rails a bit. I'd probably agree but my love affair with NSF forbids me to even countenance it. For the Defence I would call Exhibit A: the opening chapter of Ian Fleming's OHMSS. What say the Prosecution?

The only Disney reference I can recall in OHMSS is during the genealogy scenes when the family name is mentioned as having originated from a town called D'Isgny or something.

Pray elaborate Sir.

The only Disney reference I can recall in OHMSS is during the genealogy scenes when the family name is mentioned as having originated from a town called D'Isgny or something.

Pray elaborate Sir.

You mustn't take me so literally, old chap. ;)

Oh no, I was just referring to Bond reminiscing about his childhood on the beach there as an example of why his "inner child" might appreciate a bit of time off at Euro Disney. There's also the motorbike ride in 'FAVTAK' where he wishes he could just enjoy riding the bike for the first time rather than watch his back the whole time for a Russian assassin. I think the Euro Disney thing in NSF merely built on that.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117
    I thought you might be referring to those 'bucket & spade' days from the start of OHMSS. But Bond swiftly closes the door on these 'mawkish memories'.

There's no defending Gardner having Bond utter a speech gushing about Disneyland and you know it old son!!

It would be one thing if he had Bond say something like 'Even the child that once existed in Bond could appreciate the wonder of the place, but now, with his lifetime of dirty memories, it was a place he didn't belong.' But he goes way beyond that and you know it.
    I thought you might be referring to those 'bucket & spade' days from the start of OHMSS. But Bond swiftly closes the door on these 'mawkish memories'.

There's no defending Gardner having Bond utter a speech gushing about Disneyland and you know it old son!!

It would be one thing if he had Bond say something like 'Even the child that once existed in Bond could appreciate the wonder of the place, but now, with his lifetime of dirty memories, it was a place he didn't belong.' But he goes way beyond that and you know it.

I do know it, but that was the best I could come up with. All will be revealed in full when I get my monograph on NSF up on the blog though I think I've got my work cut out for me in winning you over, Wiz!
    Heres a question. In AVTAK when Bond is rescuing Stacy in the burning elevator shaft with a FIRE HOSE, why didnt Bond just use the hose to put out the fire in the elevator shaft? I mean you see Stacy choking up a storm with the smoke.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The high water pressure from the hose could have caused her to fall and potentially injure herself or get killed.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Not to mention that water and electrics don't work well together .
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Murdock wrote: »
    The high water pressure from the hose could have caused her to fall and potentially injure herself or get killed.

If that stopped her from yelling 'James!' every 5 seconds, it wouldn't be a bad consequence.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 10,586

If that stopped her from yelling 'James!' every 5 seconds, it wouldn't be a bad consequence.

:))
    And people consider Jinx more annoying...

I mean Bond does have pretty good aim. Im sure he could be able to not hit her with the water.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

I mean Bond does have pretty good aim. Im sure he could be able to not hit her with the water.
    This could just be me and my sick mind but I'm trying very hard not to make a joke right now.