The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Gettler wrote: »
    His mission was assigned by Dead M

Which isn't officially sanctioned by MI6, otherwise Fiennes' M would have been OK with Bond being in Mexico.

EDIT: Doesn't M tell Bond ''You had no authority. None.'' which proves Bond's quest for Sciarra is not approved by MI6?
    Yes that is true.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    @TheWizardOfIce I did say 'at any point in the film'. What is Bond's official mission in SP? M does not assign him anything apart from standing down from all operations.

Err I didn't disagree with you.

But in OHMSS he doesn't receive a mission from M per se. He is relieved of one although Bond says 'I assumed you reassign me'. I take it we are to presume M gives the go ahead but this is not seen on screen.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    That's true, but in OHMSS, M took Bond off from operation Bedlam. In SP, M stands him him down from all operations, but he doesn't technically remove him from an ongoing mission as the Mexico job was him going rogue. Bond does not have an official mission at any point in SP. He isn't removed from one or receive a new one.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Your original question that I thought I was answering:
    Is SP the only film where Bond does not receive a fully sanctioned mission by MI6 at any point in the film?

If you want to change the goalposts to include removing him from a mission then fine but if you could please notify us beforehand.
    Is SP the only film where Bond does not receive a fully sanctioned mission by MI6 at any point in the film?

If you want to change the goalposts to include removing him from a mission then fine but if you could please notify us beforehand.

Well isn't the whole Sir Hillary Bray stuff sanctioned by M? Bond tells M about the documents he found in Gumbold's office. I thought only the final assault on Piz Gloria was not an official mission.

Well isn't the whole Sir Hillary Bray stuff sanctioned by M? Bond tells M about the documents he found in Gumbold's office. I thought only the final assault on Piz Gloria was not an official mission.

No doubt it is but M never explicitly states this. Bond could just as easily have been told 'you are off operation Bedlam and theres and end of it' so storms out of Quaterdeck in a huff and books another two weeks leave and goes and does all the Hilary Bray stuff on his own just as he did with Gumbold.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    During the safe house scene in SP, M assigns Bond to aid him in arresting C. Also, couldn't the same be said for QoS? Unless I'm missing something obvious.
    @jake24 Don't forget that M is seen being sacked from MI6 by Denbigh, so the London climax is not MI6 sanctioned. As for QOS, doesn't the MI6 scene about Le Chiffre's money bills serve as an 'official' briefing for Bond to hunt Slate down in Haiti? Bond is is technically on MI6 mission until he goes rogue after the Austrian sequence.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @jake24 Don't forget that M is seen being sacked from MI6 by Denbigh, so the London climax is not MI6 sanctioned. As for QOS, doesn't the MI6 scene about Le Chiffre's money bills serve as an 'official' briefing for Bond to hunt Slate down in Haiti? Bond is is technically on MI6 mission until he goes rogue after the Austrian sequence.
    You're right on both counts. My mistake.
    QOS has a mission but Bond grows increasingly careless causing M to cancel his credit cards, then he goes rouge. Right?
    No I do not think he goes rouge, he is not embarrased at all by his cancelled credit cards, but he does go rogue though in a way that is sanctioned with a smile by dead M.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    M sends bond to Haiti in qos and also let's him go in the hotel later when the capture or kill is out on him, she only cancels his cards after the special branch officer is reportedly killed by bond. His not returning for a debrief as ordered is when he goes rogue in qos. In ohmss doesn't m essentialy give approval at his house while organising his butterfly collection?
    On a similar vein, if the double o section was closed down in Spectre, if Bond had killed Blofeld at the end, he'd be doing it without his license to kill. So that'd mean he'd be liable to a criminal conviction?
    Chriscoop wrote: »
    M sends bond to Haiti in qos and also let's him go in the hotel later when the capture or kill is out on him, she only cancels his cards after the special branch officer is reportedly killed by bond. His not returning for a debrief as ordered is when he goes rogue in qos. In ohmss doesn't m essentialy give approval at his house while organising his butterfly collection?

But Bond joins with Draco to attack Piz Gloria against M's orders.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,023
    shamanimal wrote: »
    On a similar vein, if the double o section was closed down in Spectre, if Bond had killed Blofeld at the end, he'd be doing it without his license to kill. So that'd mean he'd be liable to a criminal conviction?

So was M in a position to arrest Blofeld if C had shut down the Double 0s?

Someone could have said to M, "You have no authority. None."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    vzok wrote: »
    u
    Chriscoop wrote: »

But Bond joins with Draco to attack Piz Gloria against M's orders.
    Yes that's very true, just saying that ohmss does have a sanctioned mission

I believe and I may be wrong so don't be deadly with me, but I do beliede that since M had been fired by C earlier that day so this may be true, but I think M was making a civilian's arrest on Blofeld.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,023
    I remember M quoting some law or statute when arresting Blofeld. Sounded official.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Perhaps the 00-Section was still in effect. Not deactivated at the time.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Iirc doesn't M introduce himself to a policeman at the scene as M Head of double o section.
    I always took that self=pronouncement more as wishful thinking on M's part than anything. Answers will be told in the PTS of Bond 25 whether or not the 00-Section still exists, let's hope it does.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    vzok wrote: »
    I remember M quoting some law or statute when arresting Blofeld. Sounded official.

Yes, although said law (the Special Measures Act 2001) doesn't actually exist in reality.

I think we are to assume, seeing as C's brown bread and Nine Eyes a scam, that the 00's are back in business. At least Q branch is, at the end.
    I really liked Spectre, but the whole double 0 section being old fashioned had been done in Skyfall. I hope they drop the 'old dog' stuff in the next movie.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    but the whole double 0 section being old fashioned had been done in Skyfall.

It's called the '00 program' now apparently. Get with the err program @shamanimal.

Although given M says to the policeman on the bridge '00 section' can we assume that renaming it the '00 program' was a C initiative and now that he's dead M thinks 'Right enough of that Bourne bollocks I'm going back to calling it the 00 section'.

I f**king well hope so.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think for the modern audience, everthing has to be reset by the end of any movie.
    So C is out and M is back in. ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Perhaps the 'OO" programme could be a new reality show, with all
    The Bond's in one house ? ;)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    And let's hopefully forget this idea that M is only in charge of the '00s.

We'll forget only if they can blow up MI6 again in one of the next 2 films. ;)

edited August 2016 Posts: 10,588
    @TheWizardOfIce The phrases "00 Section and "00 Program" are used interchangeably, the latter being said by M himself, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    jake24 wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce The phrases "00 Section and "00 Program" are used interchangeably, the latter being said by M himself, so I wouldn't worry about it.

But I do worry about it mate. Because they are far from interchangeable. One is what it has always been called and comes from the pen of Fleming. And the other is a f**king travesty that pisses all over his grave.