"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    If Leicester wins the league this year, Bournemouth will win it in 2017 B-)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,727
    AceHole wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    I've supported Leicester all my life and I have no idea what the hell is going on. It doesn't seem real to be honest.
    There is a lot of suspicion about how Leicester can be where they are when they were rock bottom this time last season. The thing is, they were far too good to be bottom back then - they played terrific football, but simply had none of the breaks some teams have.
    This season with about 3 superb additions to the squad they have gone the other way (and are having a lot of luck as well). Under achieving last season, over achieving this season. In truth they were and still are certainly good enough for top 10, but something special is propelling them on this season, and better teams are dropping points.

And as we reach the end Mahrez is losing form, Vardy has stopped scoring, yet other players have stepped up and taken the responsibility on. It's a very good team.

That is the mark of champions right there - not playing great, best players having 'off' days, but other squad members stepping up when it matters most...

If Leicester do indeed go on to win it, I think it will be by a single point. I'll be heartbroken, but they will deserve it =D>

On the contrary I think Spurs need to start looking behind them. It would be just like Spurs to not only bottle it but let the Arse overtake them into the bargain.

From the last few matches I'd say Spurs' arsehole is starting to squeak more than Leicester's at the minute.

I reckon Fergie might have it right that they win it with three games to spare.

Nah, Arsenal have overachieved as they normally always aim to finish 4th. On goal difference. It's been their ultimate goal, season after season :D
    3rd Place is equal to winning the league for the Arsnwhole. Just ask Wenger.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Sunderland 0 - 1 Leicester, clinical finish by Vardy. 10 minutes to go Ranieri has worked miracles, and such a likable character... surely Spurs wont catch them now. Hopefully United will end Spurs hopes in the 4.15pm delayed kick off (Man Utd bus stuck in traffic :(( )

Sunderland 0 - 2 Leicester final score... credit to Leicester they are battlers, Vardy could take the European Championships by storm.
    Nice one Leicester! Speaking as a Norwich fan that has saved us for another week. Seeing as we are at home to Sunderland next weekend i ofcourse want a win to put us 7 points ahead of them! Which would even out the goal difference issue. All being well they will lose their game in hand also? Squeeky bum time again!
    Think Norwich will stay up, Newcastle and Sunderland are gone I think, that small cushion Norwich has is vital and think you will beat the Mackems next week?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Think Norwich will stay up, Newcastle and Sunderland are gone I think, that small cushion Norwich has is vital and think you will beat the Mackems next week?

Not so sure. Still got a feeling Big Sam and Defoe will ultimately prove to be decisive although fair play to Norwich as they are really scrapping for their lives.

• edited April 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Cup final for both next week, just think there are more goals in Norwich at this stage.

Spurs 3 - 0 Man Utd... Deserved win for Spurs in the end. United were ok for most of the game though collapsed in the end, united really were poor in the final third though which is a big concern. Playing Young as Centre forward was a big fail, baffling decision from LVG.

Not so sure. Still got a feeling Big Sam and Defoe will ultimately prove to be decisive although fair play to Norwich as they are really scrapping for their lives.

It truly is a lottery speaking as a Norwich fan. But if we should get relegated? I would rather go down fighting unlike Villa and Newcastle? No wonder their fans are so angry.
    Another season another no show from Zlatan when it matters.

Have a look at Ronaldo tonight son - that's what one of the best players on the planet does when the pressure's on.

Still at least you bagged another 40 odd goals against the likes of Guincamp and Troyes and won a Mickey Mouse league title so the season still a roaring success.

The guy is now a parody of himself.
  • RC7RC7
    Another season another no show from Zlatan when it matters.

Have a look at Ronaldo tonight son - that's what one of the best players on the planet does when the pressure's on.

Still at least you bagged another 40 odd goals against the likes of Guincamp and Troyes and won a Mickey Mouse league title so the season still a roaring success.

The guy is now a parody of himself.

Spot on.
  • RC7RC7
    Good result for my boys tonight to get to the FA Cup semi. More class from Rashford and Martial. Also nice to Atletico progressing in the CL. Barca were a disgrace at times tonight; showing their true colours. Reminded me of Arsenal early 2000s, absolutely unable handle the genuine threat of defeat. Toys go out of the pram and the cheating starts. Got what they deserved.
    Barca out!!! Never saw that one coming!
    RC7 wrote: »
    Good result for my boys tonight to get to the FA Cup semi. More class from Rashford and Martial. Also nice to Atletico progressing in the CL. Barca were a disgrace at times tonight; showing their true colours. Reminded me of Arsenal early 2000s, absolutely unable handle the genuine threat of defeat. Toys go out of the pram and the cheating starts. Got what they deserved.

Could you give any concrete examples? Sounds more like bitter wind up to me... I can assure you that if we summarize cheating in this game Atletico vins hands down! Foul play, simulations, systematic attempts to unsetle the Barcelona players as well as the constant systematic time vasting. Not that I complain as it was all as expected, and when they do it against Real Madrid I cheer them on. But to claim this was a moral victory and Barcelona the dirty side of the two is completely ludicrous, although one could argue it was a deserved win.
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »

Could you give any concrete examples? Sounds more like bitter wind up to me... I can assure you that if we summarize cheating in this game Atletico vins hands down! Foul play, simulations, systematic attempts to unsetle the Barcelona players as well as the constant systematic time vasting. Not that I complain as it was all as expected, and when they do it against Real Madrid I cheer them on. But to claim this was a moral victory and Barcelona the dirty side of the two is completely ludicrous, although one could argue it was a deserved win.

Neymar, Suarez and Iniesta should've all seen red. Not that it matters. They were spent tonight. Not a single touch from Messi in the box.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 7,502

Neymar, Suarez and Iniesta should've all seen red. Not that it matters. They were spent tonight. Not a single touch from Messi in the box.

That is bollocks! Iniesta should probably have been sent off for the handball, but as with all hands situations its a difficult decision to call. To call it "cheating" compared to what goes on in almost any other match is a rather peculiar stretch... Neymar and Suarez should by no means have been sent off. Its funny how nobody cares when Neymar gets constantly kicked all season, but when he does it himself its suddenly labelled "cheating" and an immediate red card.

The bottom line (as usual) is that dirty tricks are apparent in all leagues today. The difference is that with any other team "its a part of the game", when Barcelona does it, its "disgraceful cheating".
  • RC7RC7

That is bollocks! Iniesta should probably have been sent off for the handball, but as with all hands situations its a difficult decision to call. To call it "cheating" compared to what goes on in almost any other match is a rather peculiar stretch... Neymar and Suarez should by no means have been sent off. Its funny how nobody cares when Neymar gets constantly kicked all season, but when he does it himself its suddenly labelled "cheating" and an immediate red card.

The bottom line (as usual) is that dirty tricks are apparent in all leagues today. The difference is that with any other team "its a part of the game", when Barcelona does it, its "disgraceful cheating".

Its a big part of the Spanish game. They all do it. Tonight it was Barca's turn to showcase it.

Its a big part of the Spanish game. They all do it. Tonight it was Barca's turn to showcase it.

Are you serious? No cynicism in English football? Yes, they're all angels aren't they :))

And Atletico did not showcase any dirty play? Where is the outcry against all their kicks, simulations, time waste... Not that much objectivity is expected from someone who envies Barcelona's throne for his own team who looks more pathetic than ever...

But Man Utd at least never ever kicks or dives. Just tell that to Ashley Young, Carrick, Mata, Martial, Roy Keane, Vidic, Ronaldo... =))

Always something to take comfort in :)
  • RC7RC7

Are you serious? No cynicism in English football? Yes, they're all angels aren't they :))

And Atletico did not showcase any dirty play? Where is the outcry against all their kicks, simulations, time waste... Not that much objectivity is expected from someone who envies Barcelona's throne for his own team who looks more pathetic than ever...

But Man Utd at least never ever kicks or dives. Just tell that to Ashley Young, Carrick, Mata, Martial, Roy Keane, Vidic, Ronaldo... =))

We all know the theatrics started in South America and Southern Europe. Over here we just used to leather or wallop someone and leave the pitch before the inevitable red. It's been imported to every major league these days.

Trust me, no United fan is envious of Barca. The big clubs all have their moment, gloating is a mugs game.

We all know the theatrics started in South America and Southern Europe. Over here we just used to leather or wallop someone and leave the pitch before the inevitable red. It's been imported to every major league these days.

Trust me, no United fan is envious of Barca. The big clubs all have their moment, gloating is a mugs game.

Trust me, I know many who are, and even openly admits it.

But that's beside the point. The interesting thing is how you admit that dirty tricks have "been importen to every big league", however Barcelona and Arsenal are the only ones you blame for it. Funny how "leathering" and "walloping" someone is not cheating btw. If not done by a South American on Barcelona of course, that is...
  • RC7RC7

Trust me, I know many who are, and even openly admits it.

But that's beside the point. The interesting thing is how you admit that dirty tricks have "been importen to every big league", however Barcelona and Arsenal are the only ones you blame for it. Funny how "leathering" and "walloping" someone is not cheating btw. If not done by a South American on Barcelona of course, that is...

Don't recall blaming only Barca and Arsenal. Just that they both remind me of each other. They're great if you let them play, but get stuck in on them and the toys go out of the pram.

Neither did I say 'leathering' and 'walloping' is not cheating, but essentially it isn't. It's foul play. Cheating is conning the ref - play acting, simulation. Something that has become more prevalent in the modern game as South American players have drifted into the continent. Yes, everybody does it now. Doesn't make it right. There's something less conniving about Gerrard or Scholes going through the back of you like a train, than there is Ramos or Suarez writing around like there's been an assassination attempt. I guess I just prefer a good old fashioned dust up, over cheap shots and sucker punches.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    It's cultural. In Latin (especially Latin-American) culture it has historically been seen as 'smart' to gain an advantage over your opponent by using 'tactical cheating'. It is regarded as being cunning & 'doing what is necessary to win'.

In Anglo-Saxon culture there is no merit to be gained from such cunning, being a 'good sport' and taking it on the chin is seen as the ultimate virtue.
  • RC7RC7
    AceHole wrote: »
    It's cultural. In Latin (especially Latin-American) culture it has historically been seen as 'smart' to gain an advantage over your opponent by using 'tactical cheating'. It is regarded as being cunning & 'doing what is necessary to win'.

In Anglo-Saxon culture there is no merit to be gained from such cunning, being a 'good sport' and taking it on the chin is seen as the ultimate virtue.

Precisely.
    A bookable offence is a form cheating. That's why they invented booking as a part of the game. Why would you need it otherwise?

You could have a discussion about what's morally more acceptable. I know where I stand. I am not fan of diving bu I'll take it over deliberate attempts to injure other players every time. Potentially ruining players careers is far worse than getting a penalty you don't deserve or look silly on television IMHO. (The H stands for honourable..)

And if the British didn't invent diving, it hasn't stopped them from perfecting the art later in time.
  • RC7RC7
    A bookable offence is a form cheating. That's why they invented booking as a part of the game. Why would you need it otherwise?

You could have a discussion about what's morally more acceptable. I know where I stand. I am not fan of diving bu I'll take it over deliberate attempts to injure other players every time. Potentially ruining players careers is far worse than getting a penalty you don't deserve or look silly on television IMHO. (The H stands for honourable..)

And if the British didn't invent diving, it hasn't stopped them from perfecting the art later in time.

Although still someway off Grand Moff Rivaldo.

rivaldo-dive-o.gif

Although still someway off Grand Moff Rivaldo.

rivaldo-dive-o.gif

And the Oscar goes to... that is what you call travelling pain. :))
    Epic.

Although let's not forget it's only the Europa.
    Epic.

Although let's not forget it's only the Europa.

Still a fabulous comeback against a top team
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Disgusting display by Mori today. I hope Origi will be all right--YNWA!
    Missed end of the derby, heard Origi has twisted ligaments on news after.
    Why oh why didn't we bin Brendan after the 6-1 defeat to Stoke?

If Jurgen had had preseason and bought in a few players he wanted we'd be right up there with Spurs and Leicester. We've been utter shit this season and are still in touching distance of the top 4. Even just a 10% improvement would have put us right in the mix.