"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Will be the greatest achievement since the inception of the Premiership.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Will be the greatest achievement since the inception of the Premiership league.

Fixed.

Sky didn't invent football.
    Before the influx of money it was a more even playing field.
    Hence its the greatest achievement in the history of the league.

Much as I hate to deny Cloughie but as you say with the resources City, Chelsea, Arse etc have compared to Leicester this should be impossible.
    Oh I agree its a amazing achievement, more so because of the current sides and there wealth. If it had happened in the 70s or 80s it would not be that much of a stretch. I said Premier league because it really should not be happening at all, considering the resources of not one but several sides that should out perform Leicester.
    Southampton 4 - 2 Man City

Entertaining game a bit of a risk City playing practically there B team and back fired, leaves the door ajar for Man United top four hopes. City have the Gunners next... Could go to the wire despite my earlier pessimism.

Sterling £50 million... Liverpool fans must chuckle everytime he puts in another underwhelming performance.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,117

Sterling £50 million... Liverpool fans must chuckle everytime he puts in another underwhelming performance.

I do.

Remaining potential highlights of the season:

1. Title goes down to the final day but Leics still win it.

2. Liverpool win the Europa.

3. Utd pip City to 4th then City win the CL relegating Utd to the Europa despite Sterling having a dog of a game and getting sent off after scoring a hattrick of own goals.

4. Sterling doesn't make the plane.

5. England actually going and winning the f**ker!

First highlight of next season: Realising he has nothing but pace in his locker Pep flogs Sterling to Swansea or West Brom.

Fair play to City though. At least they're trying to actually win it. Wenger would've played his first team here and rested them on Wednesday as getting 4th is far more important than trying to win the trophy.
    :)) @ #5 you know I am quietly confident about England, now is the time with the talent we have.

Congratulations LEICESTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable achievement...
    <:-P =D>
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Staggering.

Presume they're all round Jamie Vardy's house where he is, quite literally, having a party.

Sky commentator has just said 'Greatest sporting upset ever' and for once I don't think they can be accused of Skyperbole.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Its like Christmas, now its happened I am gobsmacked. To be a Leicester fan now must be unreal and surreal. Happy for Ranieri he is a true gentleman of the sport and think this is his first League title in any country. =D>
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    If Leicester can do it so can Bournemouth, in 2017 :D
    Congrats Leicester, what an achievement. They have written sports history.
    If Leicester can do it so can Bournemouth, in 2017 :D

Why the f**k not?

Roman Abramovitch, Sheikh Mansour, The Glazers, JW Henry are you watching? Your infinite riches took one hell of a beating!

So all the bullshit about even the bottom premier league club getting 100m is utterly meaningless because Leics have just shown that money is worthless in the face of team spirit, belief and hard graft.

It warms the cockles of your heart.
  • RC7RC7
    Seminal.

F...ing Awesome they showed Vardys house and there reaction when they won league on SKY.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,554
    Congrats, Leicester!
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432

Reaction to winning the league...
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Amazing achievement, huge congratulations to Leicester City and, in particular, to Claudio Ranieri, one of the nice guys of football. Amazing stuff...
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I was lucky to see Bournemouth-Leicester live last August.
    I just knew I saw a potential candidate for the title
    (Bournemouth of course ;) )
    :))
    By the way in both games against Bournemouth this season Leicester didn't win :D
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,727
    Congrats to the Foxes - enjoy the glory!
    So refreshing to see different names at the top of the table.

My boys ran you close but you kept your composure. We'll be back for you next season though :D

Champions Lge 1/4final Spurs-Leicester, anyone..? 8-}
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well, I've been in the crowd to see them win the League Cup, and also lose the League Cup (to Tottenham ironically) presented with the League 1 trophy and the Championship trophy on two occasions.

This of course tops everything BUT I have a prior commitment I can't get out of which means I will miss the presentation of the Premiership trophy. I'm ok with that in a way because it's happening and it will be replayed a 1000 times.

Thank you Chelsea for an amazing turn around. Tottenham's day will come, i'm sure of that.

Wish I had got some sleep last night.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Well, I've been in the crowd to see them win the League Cup, and also lose the League Cup (to Tottenham ironically) presented with the League 1 trophy and the Championship trophy on two occasions.

This of course tops everything BUT I have a prior commitment I can't get out of which means I will miss the presentation of the Premiership trophy. I'm ok with that in a way because it's happening and it will be replayed a 1000 times.

Thank you Chelsea for an amazing turn around. Tottenham's day will come, i'm sure of that.

Wish I had got some sleep last night.

Happy for you mate but lets not give Chelsea any credit here. Their players are an utter disgrace proving they have been taking the piss this season but deciding to turn it on just to stitch Spurs up. People saying our league is the most honest because no games are a given but what about the dishonesty of the Chelsea players for the previous 35 games this season. They should to a man be ashamed of themselves at what theyve done this season. And why is Hazard celebrating scoring a goal against Spurs to cement a midtable finish? Instead he should be holding his head in shame as he's the worst of the lot.

The most disgusting moment of last night was Chelsea winning a free kick 25 yards out with the 96 mins already up. Instead of having a dip at goal they play it out to the corner flag to run down time. Honest league? Thats dishonest because rather than trying to win the game and elevate Chelsea up the league they decided it was more important to make sure Spurs didnt win it.

So lets give plenty of credit this season to Bournemouth, to Watford, to West Ham, to Spurs and above all to Leicester but Chelsea's mercenaries are the club least deserving of anything except 'most pathetic defence of a title in history'.
    That's a very good point you make. I was too carried away with the significance of the result to really analyse the performance of Chelsea in that way. I imagine Spurs fans will be seething.
    I'm just glad it didn't go to the last weekend, when Chelsea may have had to make good their desire to see Leicester over the line.
    That would've been a potential minefield.
    Massive congratulations to Leicester City on achieving the unthinkable!
    Piece of piss. Seville a trickier nut to crack.

Still given the Hillsborough thing how about finishing the season with a trophy a la '89?
  • RC7RC7
    Piece of piss. Seville a trickier nut to crack.

Still given the Hillsborough thing how about finishing the season with a trophy a la '89?

You'll definitely win it.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Great result for my beloved Liverpool last and brilliant to be in a European final. The UEFA Cup (Europa League), as I still call it, has had a raw deal over the years with many teams not giving it the respect it should deserve. It's great now that teams will (or should) take it more seriously knowing that the winners gain a spot in the European Cup (Champions League) competition the following season.

Liverpool have got a tough task to beat Sevilla who have won it for the last 2 years but I'm hopeful that we can get the result.

That would be outstanding. Fingers crossed it'll happen.

If Liverpool win, do they qualify for The Champions League? And if so, does that limit the spaces to 3 from the Premiership?
    If Liverpool win, do they qualify for The Champions League? And if so, does that limit the spaces to 3 from the Premiership?

Yes.

No.

Do keep up old chap.
    Ooh I say, that's rather good. 5 teams next term if the 'pool pull this off.

So, if Man City hadn't been so cack handed and won the CL, then been overtaken by ManYoo or West ham for 4th spot in the Prem, we would have had 6 teams in the CL next year. Who'd have thought?
  • RC7RC7
    Ooh I say, that's rather good. 5 teams next term if the 'pool pull this off.

So, if Man City hadn't been so cack handed and won the CL, then been overtaken by ManYoo or West ham for 4th spot in the Prem, we would have had 6 teams in the CL next year. Who'd have thought?

No. A max of 5. If City didn't finish 4 (which they will) the 4th place would've been ejected in favour of the CL and Europa winners had City gone on to win.