"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Get in Liverpool. Poor on the night but through to the League Cup Final after a penalty shootout vs Stoke. Buzzing. Get in......

Now hoping for an Everton win tomorrow. All Merseyside final would be great.

'Buzzing'???

Can I point out we were playing f**king Stoke.

Less than 10 years ago we had tension filled scrape-through-on-pens nights against Chelsea (at their peak) in CL semi finals.

To see how far we've fallen is just embarrassing. We are European royalty yet after having conceded 4 against Norwichand somehow classing that game as a positive we are now having a lap of honour for hanging on against Stoke (who outplayed us on the night).

Buzzing, who wouldn't I be? 1, it's a Wembley final and 2, to get there is an achievement with a side that is still the one bought by Brendan Rodgers. Yeah, they are poor at the minute but, for now, and as a lifelong supporter, I'll take the cup final no matter how it comes about.

I was at Camp Nou yesterday. We beat Athletic de Bilbao 3-1 and knock them off the Cup. However, it's wasn't as easy at it seems: They dominated the 1st half completely, and deserved more, with an imposing Iñaki Williams (I think this guy will end up in the Premier. It's your style of player: strong, fast, powerful and with a lot of character. He doesn't lack ability, either). We (Barcelona) dominated the 2nd half, but not as clearly as Bilbao in the first. Suárez, Piqué with a header and Neymar Jr. with a nice shoot to the cross annotated for us.

Suárez should have been sent out for a stupid act of indiscipline and touch the ball with his lower arm to cut a counterattack in the middle of the field, but the ref didn't see the action. Lucky us, because he's a much needed player.
    As a Liverpool supporter, I'm looking forward to Sunday and the match vs Manchester City in the Capital One Cup Final. Should be a very good, close game, just hoping that we get the result we want and bring a trophy back to Anfield.
  • Soooooo new FIFA president, think it's actually going to change anything?
    jackdagger wrote: »
    Soooooo new FIFA president, think it's actually going to change anything?
    The usual thug out and a new thug in office.
    It keeps the FBI busy, even if you'd wish they clean up the slavery called college football.

• So proud of the Manchester United kids today, fantastic game of football. We deserved to beat a full strength Arsenal side that on paper really should have beat us, our squad is decimated by injury. 3-2 final score.
  • RC7RC7
    So proud of the Manchester United kids today, fantastic game of football. We deserved to beat a full strength Arsenal side that on paper really should have beat us, our squad is decimated by injury. 3-2 final score.

Belting result.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    So proud of the Manchester United kids today, fantastic game of football. We deserved to beat a full strength Arsenal side that on paper really should have beat us, our squad is decimated by injury. 3-2 final score.

Belting result.

Best game of the season from United all things considered. LVG appears to be showing his metal.

Gotta say, great result for Man U. Far from a fan of theirs but credit where it's due.

Also.....

Now though, my concentration is on the team I support, Liverpool, in the League Cup Final. Gonna be tough but hoping we get the result. Come on Reds!!!
  • Gotta say, great result for Man U. Far from a fan of theirs but credit where it's due.

Also.....

Now though, my concentration is on the team I support, Liverpool, in the League Cup Final. Gonna be tough but hoping we get the result. Come on Reds!!!

My two least favourite sides (Vast understatement) watching the final, tough game to call both teams are hit and miss. Think the reds may nick it.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    By far the better team so far but our legs will go soon. And you can't have Kolo and Minger on the same pitch for over an hour and not concede at least one.

0=0 ht. Liverpool supporter.
    4.25 a.m in melbourne and watching the commentary on skysports.com as i don't have setanta.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Bournemouth is surviving. I couldn't be happier.
    By far the better team so far but our legs will go soon. And you can't have Kolo and Minger on the same pitch for over an hour and not concede at least one.

Right on cue.

The guy takes goalkeeping clangers to a new level. Love with this one how the ball is heading straight for him but he somehow manages to twist his body out of the way of it like f**king Neo in The Matrix.
  • Penalties... Liverpool did very good business selling Sterling for 50 million.
  • ...you can always tell when a penalty taker is going to miss.
    Felt sorry for Can because that was a class penalty.

I'm not that fussed as its not that big a trophy but was gutted at being denied the pleasure of overrated Sterling adding the crucial missed penalty to his earlier pitiful finishes. 50m? You're having a laugh.
  • City will have a overhaul I think, as will Liverpool most likely. Benteke and Sturridge maybe on borrowed time for different reasons. The over inflated prices for English players has got ridiculous.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Liverpool is absolutely allergic to scoring.
    As with all English attacking talent, Sterling's "attributes" seem to be an overrated package of pace and... nothing else really... The day the British start rating technique and intelligense as much as physical attributes, is maybe the day you gain the status as a football power house. The status you've always wanted but never had...
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    jobo wrote: »
    As with all English attacking talent, Sterling's "attributes" seem to be an overrated package of pace and... nothing else really... The day the British start rating technique and intelligense as much as physical attributes, is maybe the day you gain the status as a football power house. The status you've always wanted but never had...

Genuine question - why do you have such a chip on your shoulder about English football? (Note 'British' football isn't a thing) I don't think you'll find any of us who believe our international side is anything but under performing dross, year in year out. As for our league system, though, its arguably the best in the world, with a significant batch of clubs being the heavily supported worldwide.
    Well, being a Liverpool supporter I was gutted to see the loss on penalties yesterday. I will admit, however, that over the course of the game, City were much the better side. It was nice to get to the final and I hope that it'll be one of many under Jurgen Klopp. We still have the UEFA Cup to fight for and, while it's a big long shot and I don't think it'll happen, a top 4 place to fight for.

As for the future, I can see a massive overhaul at Liverpool FC, with Klopp bringing in a lot of the players he wants. We already have a couple on their way in the summer so things are in motion.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 7,500
    RC7 wrote: »

Genuine question - why do you have such a chip on your shoulder about English football? (Note 'British' football isn't a thing) I don't think you'll find any of us who believe our international side is anything but under performing dross, year in year out. As for our league system, though, its arguably the best in the world, with a significant batch of clubs being the heavily supported worldwide.

I never mentioned anything about "British football" did I? I was referring to the general British mentality of overemphasizing physique in the game of football. As for the "chip om my shoulder" it obviously has to do with English arroganse. You can claim its not there but it obviously is to any European following English media coverage and fan reactions in the world of football.

As for Premiere Leagues popularity it all boils down to better marketing campaign. Other leagues didn´t see the need for marketing abroad the way the English have done for the last couple of decades. That´s the major difference. Its a shame they haven´t got more to show for it though... The only English thing left are the fans. The league itself is a soulless mess of foreign ownerships and marketing campaigns. It doesn´t even nearly deserve all the gloryfication. And I will not even start on the discussion about quality...
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,727
    If Spurs actually do win the league I swear I will post a pic of my bare backside for all to see... surely it won't happen...??
    I'm confused. Tottenham are not supposed to be challenging for anything. Anything other than mediocrity is very unnerving for us Spurs fans...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    AceHole wrote: »
    If Spurs actually do win the league I swear I will post a pic of my bare backside for all to see... surely it won't happen...??
    I'm confused. Tottenham are not supposed to be challenging for anything. Anything other than mediocrity is very unnerving for us Spurs fans...

Well I'm a Leicester supporter, man and boy. If you feel that way how do you think I feel?

:(
  • RC7RC7

I never mentioned anything about "British football" did I? I was referring to the general British mentality of overemphasizing physique in the game of football. As for the "chip om my shoulder" it obviously has to do with English arroganse. You can claim its not there but it obviously is to any European following English media coverage and fan reactions in the world of football.

As for Premiere Leagues popularity it all boils down to better marketing campaign. Other leagues didn´t see the need for marketing abroad the way the English have done for the last couple of decades. That´s the major difference. Its a shame they haven´t got more to show for it though... The only English thing left are the fans. The league itself is a soulless mess of foreign ownerships and marketing campaigns. It doesn´t even nearly deserve all the gloryfication. And I will not even start on the discussion about quality...

I think you confuse arrogance with passion. There's arrogance from some quarters, sure, but on the whole it boils down to the fact we just love our game, through the good and the thoroughly abhorrent. I would argue that passion rubs off, hence the worldwide appeal. There's only so much marketing can do and it certainly isn't responsible for the Sheffield United shirts I've seen out in Thailand, or the Hull shirts in the US, or the Crystal Palace shirts in Vietnam...
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 7,500

I think you confuse arrogance with passion. There's arrogance from some quarters, sure, but on the whole it boils down to the fact we just love our game, through the good and the thoroughly abhorrent. I would argue that passion rubs off, hence the worldwide appeal. There's only so much marketing can do and it certainly isn't responsible for the Sheffield United shirts I've seen out in Thailand, or the Hull shirts in the US, or the Crystal Palace shirts in Vietnam...

Well, I am not sure... Is it merely passion that makes the English believe they have the best league and the best club sides in the world although all statistics and results suggest otherwise? Is the English tendency to look down on other footballing cultures and lecture other nations on how to properly play the game all to do with "passion"? Has the assumption that players like Neymar would want to switch Barcelona for a mediocre team like Man Utd solely to do with "passion"? Is it passion that made the English claim for many years that Rooney was better than Messi, and Gerrard and Lampard better than Xavi and Iniesta? Is it passion that makes a nobody like Jamie Carragher think he is in a position to lecture Gerard Piqué, winner of three Champions Leagues, five domestic league titles, the Euro Cup and the World Cup, on how to defend properly? (Just to give you one of many examples of arrogant, English punditry).

As for English football shirts in Asia, it obviously has to do with marketing and TV rights. In fact you couldn't have given a better example! Don't you think the reason why English football is so popular in Asia is due to the fact that it is whats usually televised in those areas? The reason why English football is popular in Scandinavia is because English football was the only thing we got to see through out the eighties and nineties as a result of an extensive marketing campaign by the English league abroad. Only recently we were introduced to other leagues on television. Such tradition is hard to overcome and, its exactly the same thing that has happened in Asia, only later in time. I myself have been travelling all over the world, and its obvious that that which league you lean towards globally has all to do with geography. In Asia and Africa people are obsessed with the Premier League. In Arabic countries through out the middle east however, the Spanish league is utterly supreme, with Barcelona and Real Madrid flags visible in every shop, on every street corner. That's also the case in the "new" football countries like the United States. And if get to South America of course, all young footballer's dream is to play for Barcelona or Real Madrid, not Liverpool or United. It obviously has very much to do with marketing and TV rights world wide, much less with what league actually has the most charm and appeal. Not realizing that is actually another example of English footballing arroganze...
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512

Well, I am not sure... Is it merely passion that makes the English believe they have the best league and the best club sides in the world although all statistics and results suggest otherwise? Is the English tendency to look down on other footballing cultures and lecture other nations on how to properly play the game all to do with "passion"? Has the assumption that players like Neymar would want to switch Barcelona for a mediocre team like Man Utd solely to do with "passion"? Is it passion that made the English claim for many years that Rooney was better than Messi, and Gerrard and Lampard better than Xavi and Iniesta? Is it passion that makes a nobody like Jamie Carragher think he is in a position to lecture Gerard Piqué, winner of three Champions Leagues, five domestic league titles, the Euro Cup and the World Cup, on how to defend properly? (Just to give you one of many examples of arrogant, English punditry).

As for English football shirts in Asia, it obviously has to do with marketing and TV rights. In fact you couldn't have given a better example! Don't you think the reason why English football is so popular in Asia is due to the fact that it is whats usually televised in those areas? The reason why English football is popular in Scandinavia is because English football was the only thing we got to see through out the eighties and nineties as a result of an extensive marketing campaign by the English league abroad. Only recently we were introduced to other leagues on television. Such tradition is hard to overcome and, its exactly the same thing that has happened in Asia, only later in time. I myself have been travelling all over the world, and its obvious that that which league you lean towards globally has all to do with geography. In Asia and Africa people are obsessed with the Premier League. In Arabic countries through out the middle east however, the Spanish league is utterly supreme, with Barcelona and Real Madrid flags visible in every shop, on every street corner. That's also the case in the "new" football countries like the United States. And if get to South America of course, all young footballer's dream is to play for Barcelona or Real Madrid, not Liverpool or United. It obviously has very much to do with marketing and TV rights world wide, much less with what league actually has the most charm and appeal. Not realizing that is actually another example of English footballing arroganze...

You're obviously very bitter about something. I didn't say we had the best club sides in the world (although there have been occasions where we have), but in terms of appeal, for me, the top two divisions in England offer a lot more in terms of entertainment, not necessarily 'quality', than the equivalent in Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Netherlands etc. And of course punditry and sports journalism will pitch players at a higher level than is worthy, but thats par for the course. Everybody knows Rooney is no Messi. We're a nation obsessed with football, where contributors will find anything to talk about, most of it shit, but I don't see why this is something to get so uptight about? If the Premier League want to market their product as the 'best league in the world' its their prerogative. You don't have to buy into it. Obviously a lot of people find something appealing. If you market Nike trainers and then they fall apart on purchase, the customer doesn't go back time and time again to buy the same product. Suggesting the English game's success is perpetuated solely by marketing is completely misguided.

Frankly I find the runaway train of Barcelona relatively boring. Stories and intrigue come from imperfections and vulnerability, that's how drama is born. Watching Barcelona doesn't carry anything beyond superficial spectacle, which is decent, even amazing at times, but I want variety. It's more interesting for me to see a team play in majestic fashion one week and come unstuck against a system the next. Their penalty against Celta Vigo just about summed it up for me. If you did that on a massive stage, lets say the CL and you're at 0-0 against a Bayern, or a Juve then that is a ballsy move. Doing it when you're 3-1 up and cruising is not 'genius'.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    A team like Leics coming from nowhere to be top of the table based on heart, teamwork and belief or Barca, Bayern or PSG winning 6-0 every week? Think I know which I prefer.

The Spanish league is just a posh Scottish league, the German league is barely a two horse race and the French league is dross with one half decent team of mercenaries who don't even need to break into a sweat (23 points clear? What a thrilling spectacle!).

Yes technically the premier league is poor and, Aguero apart, no truly world class players ply their trade here. But the reason people watch it is it's a more exciting product than the other leagues. Watching Real or Barca demolish a shit team is entertaining enough for a while it it gets boring pretty quickly. In the premier league no team has the luxury of just turning up and knowing they are going to win (except when they go to Villa Park) and that's why people watch it.

@jobo the premier league is indeed well marketed but it delivers what people want. Don't blame the English because your own league is a dull procession to crown one or two teams and it is not marketed as well. I don't know anyone in this country who ever thought carthorse Rooney was anywhere near Messi's level and there's no arrogance about English talent. I find it risible when you hear people say 'Sterling is over priced but you have to pay a premium for English talent.' What English talent? Sterling is just another product off the Lennon, Theo, SWP conveyor belt of fast but shit players who people mistake as being world class.

I have no arrogance over England's impending Euros humiliation. We're shit and have been for so long now I'm sure we're the laughing stock of Europe.
  • RC7RC7
    A team like Leics coming from nowhere to be top of the table based on heart, teamwork and belief or Barca, Bayern or PSG winning 6-0 every week? Think I know which I prefer.

The Spanish league is just a posh Scottish league, the German league isn't barely a two horse race and the French league is dross with one half decent team of mercenaries who don't even need to break into a sweat (23 points clear? What a thrilling spectacle!).

Yes technically the premier league is poor and, Aguero apart, no truly world class players ply their trade here. But the reason people watch it is it's a more exciting product than the other leagues. Watching Real or Barca demolish a shit team is entertaining enough for a while it it gets boring pretty quickly. In the premier league no team has the luxury of just turning up and knowing they are going to win (except when they go to Villa Park) and that's why people watch it.

@jobo the premier league is indeed well marketed but it delivers what people want. Don't blame the English because your own league is a dull procession to crown one or two teams and it is not marketed as well. I don't know anyone in this country who ever thought carthorse Rooney was anywhere near Messi's level and there's no arrogance about English talent. I find it risible when you hear people say 'Sterling is over priced but you have to pay a premium for English talent.' What English talent? Sterling is just another product off the Lennon, Theo, SWP conveyor belt of fast but shit players who people mistake as being world class.

I have no arrogance over England's impending Euros humiliation. We're shit and have been for so long now I'm sure we're the laughing stock of Europe.

Agree with all of that, naturally.