"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Cannot believe this farce of an election is going ahead tomorrow!
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Greg Dyke made the point that a principled man would step down, and Blatter is refusing, therefore proving himself to have no principles.

A good point.
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

:))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Could someone tell me what FIFA actually do apart from fleece countries who can't really afford it, such as South Africa, of World Cup revenue?

Why not just disband FIFA?

Why not just have the heads of all the FAs meet once every four years, if you want to bid for the World Cup (one per association) you make your pitch and there's a vote.

The winning country then organises the next World Cup from building the stadia to organising tickets and advertising contracts - which is pretty much what happens already; the host country invests all the money, FIFA takes all the revenue. Cut out the parasitic FIFA middleman and these countries might actually be able to make a profit out of it rather than ending up broke and full of white elephant stadia that just stand empty as FIFA rinses them of the TV and advertising rights and all the ticket sales.

There's simply no reason for this bloated money hoovering leviathan to exist. It contributes nothing to the game except to enrich itself off the talent of the players and the money of the fans. If anyone can tell me a good reason why we need FIFA feel free to enlighten me but all I can see that they contribute to the world is keeping Swiss accountants in work and folding up bits of paper and putting them inside ping pong balls once every 4 years.

FIFA could easily be replaced by Andy Townsend and Robbie Earle pulling the balls out of the hat with Sir James of Rosenthal presiding over matters. Lovely stuff.
    Well that is corruption at its most blatant! Re-elected for a 5th term! What an absolute shocking disgrace! [-X
  • RC7RC7
    What a fucking dispicable, weasel-faced arse that man is. Add Jack Warner to the list too. Whenever there's a whiff of corruption he's always floating around like an odious fart. Someone needs to step in and blow this whole thing apart.
    RC7 wrote: »
    What a fucking dispicable, weasel-faced arse that man is. Add Jack Warner to the list too. Whenever there's a whiff of corruption he's always floating around like an odious fart. Someone needs to step in and blow this whole thing apart.

Well said that man! The whole thing stinks! I hope the FBI take as many of them down as possible, including that clueless buffoon Blatter too!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Well said that man! The whole thing stinks! I hope the FBI take as many of them down as possible, including that clueless buffoon Blatter too!

While I find the FIFA a bunch of crooks I have one question: "Who the flipping heck made the US the world police??"
    SaintMark wrote: »

While I find the FIFA a bunch of crooks I have one question: "Who the flipping heck made the US the world police??"

Right now I am just too happy someone actually are willing to take action against this to bother about such trivialities...
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited May 2015 Posts: 4,151
    How Blatter can be oblivious to what is going on is beyond me. He's in charge of these tools, its his job, surely, to know what is going on. If not, then why the hell is he in the job??
    How Blatter can be oblivious to what is going on is beyond me. He's in charge of these tools, its his job, surely, to know what is going on. If not, then why the hell is he in the job??

Of course he's not oblivious but why should he care? He's not accountable to anyone except the delegates from each nation's FA. And as shown yesterday as long as he keeps the noses of enough all these tinpot African and Pacific island suits in the trough then what has he got to worry about?

People seem to be thinking that FIFA is some sort of government somehow accountable to the people. It's not. If you don't like what they do don't watch the World Cup and don't buy products from their sponsors but Blatter has no obligation to anyone except the 'football family' who vote for him to stuff money in their pockets under the guise of 'grass roots footballing projects in the third world'.

I recommend this book which outlines how FIFA morphed into this morally repugnant money devouring Sarlacc: http://www.amazon.co.uk/They-Stole-Game-David-Yallop/dp/178033401X

It only goes up to the vote for Germany 06 so doesn't even deal with most of Blatter's reign which has taken things on to even greater levels of farce!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

The banks did that.
    Why on earth do we actually need FIFA?

The banks did that.

I would dare to say that due to the US de-regulations of banking they are more than less responsible for a big economic crisis, they have yet to put the first man into jail for that fine mess. And yet they feel it is up to them to inspect the FIFA??

Let them clean up their American sports association messes first before they meddle with the biggest game in the world and their association.

And they wonder why the world gets annoyed with the US, and their meddling.
    In this sad times of corruption and crime, I am so thankful football gods like this exists:

Thank you Leo! For existing! ^:)^ ^:)^
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,151
    Can't be anything Michel and UEFA have said as he clearly didn't give a toss last week so what's changed?

Can only imagine that he's been tipped the wink that the FBI are going to be kicking his door in one day soon so he's off to live next door to Edward Snowden in Moscow rather than die in prison.
    About time the idiot resigned! I too find it highly suspicious with this turn of events and agree that he may have received news regarding an investigation?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sepp Blatter knows what is coming - that is all.
  • RC7RC7
    I'll never understand why, when you're a team as good as Barcelona, you still have to cheat. Busquets is a disgrace.
    I'll never understand why, when you're a team as good as Barcelona, you still have to cheat. Busquets is a disgrace.

You wait until they meet Norwich?!!!!!! ;)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    May we have an England-US Women's World Cup Finals.
    Kerim wrote: »

Germany is far too strong for that I think...
    Congrats to the England ladies getting through the the semi finals.
    Fair play to the ladies! Put the useless blokes to shame.
    jobo wrote: »

You know who the Number 1 Women's team in the world is? Not Germany, that's who.

jobo wrote: »

You know who the Number 1 Women's team in the world is? Not Germany, that's who.

Well, congratulations! :)) I still think Germany has the best team on paper though...
    Got to admit, even I was impressed with their play. Germany missing a PK kind of helped too. Hope they don't let up on Sunday.
    Good luck to the England ladies tonight! :-bd