"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

largo2 wrote: »
    Gutted for you
    Tight at the top think forest will have a late charge
    Hope you still get promoted as need 6 points next season

Your support is always welcome Largo! :))
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Go Burnley!
    =))
    Chelsea now five points clear, with two games in hand.
    Manchester United 3 - 0 Spurs after 35 minutes. Man United are playing well, had to happen at some point :)
    Benny wrote: »
    Go Burnley!
    =))
    Chelsea now five points clear, with two games in hand.

Ah, draw today. Was sitting on the end line at Harding end, can believe the Blues couldn't punch one through in last 15 mins.
    Certainly some interesting results at the top of the Premier League this weekend!
    Damn this Championship! Another missed opportunity! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!! ~X(
    OMG What on earth went on there? Ex players haunting us! Sending off!!! Then we snatch a point! As much as I love my club! They are killing me! And to boot we moved up a place in the league!!!! 8-}
    Had a few beers with a QPR supporter on Tues, his mood was still dim...
    Lets see tonight how the "superiour" football competition fares with other teams that are as well off financially.
    Last night Arsenal did a valiant effort, that did fail sadly but not unexpectedly.
    Tonight will undoubtedly see the last British teams being put out of the European top competition.
    Then the English teams can return to their own and believe that what they offer is the best in the world.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 7,500
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Lets see tonight how the "superiour" football competition fares with other teams that are as well off financially.
    Last night Arsenal did a valiant effort, that did fail sadly but not unexpectedly.
    Tonight will undoubtedly see the last British teams being put out of the European top competition.
    Then the English teams can return to their own and believe that what they offer is the best in the world.

At least they can boast of having 'previous League and Cup winners as far down as the fourth tier'. That's a thing to be proud of I've heard. :))

I have never seen a team be dismantled as much as City today, and still somehow manage to escape with only one goal conceded. They can thank wasteful Neymar and Suarez as well as joe Hart for that...

And btw I think I've never seen a player be humiliated as much as Milner was from Messi's nutmeg! But it was Messi... maybe it's not so shamefull after all...
  • RC7RC7
    The Chuckle Brothers are back on the football thread. Has anyone got the humility hose?
    RC7 wrote: »
    Has anyone got the humility hose?

Great idea! The average English football fan needs it! Desperately!
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »

You need a massage from Jimmy Bullard.

Now that one was creative, I'll give you that! :))
  • RC7RC7

Now that one was creative, I'll give you that! :))

;)
    The Barcelona - Manchester city match was during the first half an exhibition of great football albeit by one team. If the MS players look back at those 45 minutes they must feel gutted.
    And when Barcelona took it easy the second half, because they have a real match coming up with Real Madrid, MC was not be able to really hurt them at all. By the way brilliant saves by Joe Hart who alone saved MC from a monster score.

Anybody who loves football must have enjoyed that first half of football.

Tonight a Dutch team plays as well against a Ukrainian team, they should win that game and I wish Everton the best as well.
    The Chuckle Brothers are back on the football thread. Has anyone got the humility hose?

It's quite amazing how Barca won and they are still completely upset.
    Upset?? Haha! What on earth would give you that impression? :))

I'm over the moon due to the fact that Barca suddenly look like real title challengers again after what was an abysmal first half of the season. I'd never imagined that a few months ago! And finally Messi is back to his exhilarating, unplayable best after a "weak" year... where he was "only" astonishingly brilliant. The team still has weaknesses, but hell! Its much more fun to be a hopeful supporter than a depressed supporter! >:D<
    Not seen any of the highlights of the Barca game against City. I heard Hart had a good game, but I am guessing Zabaletta feels a little embarrassed now? ;))
    Wow, that must have been quite some drama in the Ajax game! Unfortunately it didn't work out for the Dutch in the end.
    Wow, that must have been quite some drama in the Ajax game! Unfortunately it didn't work out for the Dutch in the end.

With poor football you deserve nothing more, at least they went out with a win. As a Dutch person I liked AS Roma losing a lot especially as they are such drama queens. The Belgian club Brugge did well tonight and I am pleased for them.

English football got massacred this on a international level, which is a shame as I prefer English football over east European football.

This weekend EL Classico, the game to watch if you fancy yourself a football lover.
    SaintMark wrote: »

This weekend EL Classico, the game to watch if you fancy yourself a football lover.

I hope Real are up to the match. With Barca's form lately and RM dragging it could be ugly. Hoping for a good one.
    As a Barça fan... I'll pass El Clásico by. It bores me to death, seriously: you don't know how is it in Spain. They start talking about it more than one month in advance, ad nauseam. Of course I wish Barça to win, but... I don't care about the match itself.

And PSG again in CL. I don't know if I explain myself clearly... As a football fan, I want some variety, and every year we end up playing against the same teams! [-(
    Wow! We are actually discussing El Clásico on this thread? That seemed a mere fantasy scenario last year, when the message was "we don't give a toss about non English matches". This thread is no doubt evolving! <:-P

Personally I am very interested to see just what level Real Madrid will bring to the tie. They have been far from convincing in 2015, and have had an additional dip in form during the last couple of weeks. But it is Real Madrid after all, and they should be able to mobilize before sunday... and then they are of course one of the most dangerous sides you'll ever find. It is also notable that Ramos and Modric, two essential key players (even more important that Ronaldo on could argue), are back from injury and fully fit. That is certainly good news for Madrid.

Barcelona on the other hand will most likely have to play without Bsuquets due to injury, very unfortunate considering that the midfield is the weakest part of the squad at the moment. Yes, it's true. Iniesta has had his weakest season in many years, and doesn't seem to be the player he ones was. Rakitic is a decent, likeable, workmanlike player, but very underwhelming compared to the kind of quality we are used to at the Camp Nou. On the other hand Pique has managed to find back to the old form of his peak years (4-5 years ago), which makes our defence much more solid than has been the case the last couple of seasons.

It is very hard to predict. I would like to think we have the upper hand being in better shape at the moment. And we have the better player in Messi. However there are still weaknesses in the side that a Real Madrid close to their best level should be able to exploit.
    After the weekend fixtures? Is the International break for pointless friendlies or actual qualifiers?
    A much needed win yesterday for my Norwich boys! :D Puts us back in the mix hopefully for an automatic promotion spot? Just annoying about this international break! :-q
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man Utd. Good start from United, Mata with goal.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    After the weekend fixtures? Is the International break for pointless friendlies or actual qualifiers?

Lithuania in Qualifiers and a Friendly against Italy three days later. I can never understand why they have a qualifier before a friendly.

lol Gerrard.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 6,432
    Totally crazy lol Finishing his career in style. :))