• Dragonpol wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    It’s coming Rome.

All roads lead to Rome.

It's the centre of the universe.

For the Romans at least.

yeah, obviously MI6 Community is the true centre of the universe
    Got to question the decision to let a 19-year old who's never taken a penalty at senior level take the fifth penalty in a final. What was Southgate thinking?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Southgate would have looked at the players and the ones who took them were the brave players who stood up,.
    It says a lot about Sancho and Saka being willing to take those penalties and stepping up to do so, but with a team full of senior players at his disposal, you got to ask why he let them take the penalties in the first place…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It says a lot about Sancho and Saka being willing to take those penalties and stepping up to do so, but with a team full of senior players at his disposal, you got to ask why he let them take the penalties in the first place…

The senior players bottled it, in reality games are never lost on penalty's its a roulette. England did not adjust quick enough to Mancini tactical changes in the second half that's why England lost.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 17,293

The senior players bottled it, in reality games are never lost on penalty's its a roulette. England did not adjust quick enough to Mancini tactical changes in the second half that's why England lost.

Indeed, it's very much a roulette. However, placing that much pressure on two youngsters is putting the team at disadvantage, IMO. And the amount of cruel abuse Sancho and Saka (as well as Rashford) will receive online now, will be massive…
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Indeed, it's very much a roulette. However, placing that much pressure on two youngsters is putting the team at disadvantage, IMO. And the amount of cruel abuse Sancho and Saka (as well as Rashford) will receive online now, will be massive

Not by any England fans. They stood up and took the shot. Penalties are never easy, these boys did their country proud.
    Ultimately England lost because of managerial decisions, England along with France have the best squads in the world.

England have a great chance to win the next World Cup I thought that before tonight's final. England will only get better.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    One of my favourite sports memories already, witnessing my favourite country grab the European title for the first time since '68. Che bella serata! Sempre forza Azzurri!
  • Congrats to Italy!! What an amazing final!
    Benny wrote: »

Indeed, it's very much a roulette. However, placing that much pressure on two youngsters is putting the team at disadvantage, IMO. And the amount of cruel abuse Sancho and Saka (as well as Rashford) will receive online now, will be massive

Not by any England fans. They stood up and took the shot. Penalties are never easy, these boys did their country proud.

Indeed they did. Stepping up to take decisive penalties like that takes a strong mentality.

Looking at what is reported by journalists on Twitter, there's a lot of abuse on social media targeted towards them, which is unsurprising and sad. Fortunately they're still very young, and have potential to do great things for clubs and country.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,376
    England lost because they were $#¦¥ in the second half. Penalties were a get out of jail card.

The English media are infuriating me they are talking bs with regards to how England performed, it further cultivates the wrong mentality. When it comes to winning there is no room for BS excuses.

Winners are ruthless.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Almost every England player took their medal back off the second it is on. A petulant look. I understand it’s heartbreaking for the whole country but that’s sour sportsmanship…
    England were surprisingly bad in that second half. You'd think that the occasion would have brought a better second half performance out of them, but it seemed like it worked the other way around.
  • England were awful in the second half. They're lucky it went to pens in the first place...and then there were the managerial decisions for the penalty takers...still, I'm looking forward to the World Cup next year
    Credit to Southgate he does not hide, onto the WC.

The attack on the players on social media is appalling.
    The English media and pundits should be banned from talking about England's past failure, I am sick of hearing about it :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The media do love to dwell in misery.
  • The English media and pundits should be banned from talking about England's past failure, I am sick of hearing about it :))

yes, they should stop looking at the past
  • Credit to Southgate he does not hide, onto the WC.

The attack on the players on social media is appalling.

yes, the pressure put on Saka was immense. He should get credit for getting it on target, the vile abuse is horrible.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The media do love to dwell in misery.

It'll be something new for them to focus on for the next 55 years. ;)
    I am sorry to be so negative, but quite honestly, English football fans don't deserve succes. England have played six games at Wembley, and the behaviour has been appaling. The usual arrogance is only the mildest of offences. Racist abuse, vandalism, violence, assaults, buing of national anthems and, apparently even spitting on Danish children. Yes, children! It's been absolutely disgusting! Yes, I know there are "bad apples", "wrotten eggs" and all that. I know not all English fans are assholes. But still. Several nations have been hosting games this tournament, and no set of fans have been acting even nearly as deplorable! There must be something particularly wrotten about English fan culture that make them almost feel entitled to act like that.

The idea of football "coming home" is not only based on the fact that the sport started in England, but also a perceived sense of superiority in the way England play football and the fan culture. Given all that, when the English team plays this conservatively and the fans act this appalingly, it makes a particularly bad impression. England were outraged when they lost the right to host the WC to Russia because they are so assured in the belief that they would host the tournament better than any other nation. Well, we have now gotten a taste of what such a tournament would be like, and the truth is it stinks! :-& X(
    jobo wrote: »
    I am sorry to be so negative, but quite honestly, English football fans don't deserve succes. England have played six games at Wembley, and the behaviour has been appaling. The usual arrogance is only the mildest of offences. Racist abuse, vandalism, violence, assaults, buing of national anthems and, apparently even spitting on Danish children.

Well there’s a reason why England lost and the world is celebrating.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,809
    I'm no football fan, but while a section of the English football fans perhaps didn't deserve success on the pitch I don't think the same can be said for the England team and how they and their management conducted themselves throughout the tournament. I personally think the England team did amazingly well to get to the final in Euro 2020, considering the 55 years of negative history that preceded them before they even played their first match in the tournament.

Perhaps it's best not to project the actions of an undoubtedly reprehensible section of the English fans on to the England team itself. The fans and the team itself are two disparate things. I say all of that as neither a football fan or an Englishman, albeit a UK citizen. So, in other words, I've no agenda or no axe to grind. I'm just commenting on how I see it. As a shopowner said to an approaching reporter on the BBC news at 1 o'clock, "It's just a football match. It doesn't pay the bills." That's quite true and something to remember about Euro 2020 and any other sporting event or final, for that matter. Once they're over (whatever the result) it's time for people to get back to their everyday lives. No sporting event is worth anyone's life or limb. That's something those that made vile racial slurs and abuse on Twitter and other social media in the aftermath of the penalty shootout need to bear in mind. There's a person behind everything you type online and they have feelings too. It's easy to forget that sitting on a seat facilely typing out hate on social media in your ivory tower amid the law of the jungle and the supposed anonymity that the Internet is assumed to provide.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    jobo wrote: »
    I am sorry to be so negative, but quite honestly, English football fans don't deserve succes. England have played six games at Wembley, and the behaviour has been appaling. The usual arrogance is only the mildest of offences. Racist abuse, vandalism, violence, assaults, buing of national anthems and, apparently even spitting on Danish children. Yes, children! It's been absolutely disgusting! Yes, I know there are "bad apples", "wrotten eggs" and all that. I know not all English fans are assholes. But still. Several nations have been hosting games this tournament, and no set of fans have been acting even nearly as deplorable! There must be something particularly wrotten about English fan culture that make them almost feel entitled to act like that.

The idea of football "coming home" is not only based on the fact that the sport started in England, but also a perceived sense of superiority in the way England play football and the fan culture. Given all that, when the English team plays this conservatively and the fans act this appalingly, it makes a particularly bad impression. England were outraged when they lost the right to host the WC to Russia because they are so assured in the belief that they would host the tournament better than any other nation. Well, we have now gotten a taste of what such a tournament would be like, and the truth is it stinks! :-& X(

Coming from an Italy fan, this might seem somewhat biased, England being the team between Italy and the trophy, but I've been appalled by the general behaviour of England fans ever since the Germany game.

Regardless though of said behaviour, England have been playing conservatively and defensively throughout their tournament, only against Ukraine, who were happy to be amongst the last 8, did they show any sense of positivity in their game.

If I had been a neutral fan, I would have supported Italy nonetheless.
  • jobo wrote: »

I agree with this.

oh and no it's not bias @GoldenGun, I was supporting England and I found the fans' behaviour despicable.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Messi agrees five-year Barca deal with 50 per cent pay cut

Here is jobo's reaction to the news.......👍
    AdorableFormalEyra-size_restricted.gif
    “English fans were hostile to the little girl in the Germany jersey,” Matthaus wrote in SportBild.
    “They were whistling the opposing national anthems. Denmark's goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel was blinded with a laser during a penalty that Raheem Sterling dived to get in the semi-finals. Add to that the racist hostility towards their own players after the final. Dear Englishmen, that was unsportsmanlike behaviour that we did not know from you and never want to see again. So, sorry for the players but you deserve the trauma after the final was lost on penalties”.

https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9787675/amp/Lothar-Matthaus-claims-England-fans-DESERVE-Euro-2020-final-penalty-trauma.html
    Messi agrees five-year Barca deal with 50 per cent pay cut

Here is jobo's reaction to the news.......👍
    AdorableFormalEyra-size_restricted.gif

True indeed ;) :P