"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Sadly true @Torgeirtrap
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Arsenal's multiple problems keeps giving me sleepless nights, that's why I haven't been here for a while now.

Better brace ourselves for a difficult season @GadgetMan; Arsenal have plenty of work to do in order to become competitive again…

Yeah, sad truth @Torgeirtrap it's really depressing and you're right, I don't understand Arsenal's transfer plan. And like you, I too don't understand Arsenal's interest in Ramsdale.

Seems like the deal is done now too. Ramsdale will probably be announced with Ødegaard later today.

£30 million for Ødegaard is a good price for Arsenal.
    He did well last season.
    Are you happy with his signing ?

Sceptical. Arsenal need players who can create chances, which Ødegaard is more than capable of, but they also need players that can deliver goals as well.
    Arsenal's multiple problems keeps giving me sleepless nights, that's why I haven't been here for a while now.

Better brace ourselves for a difficult season @GadgetMan; Arsenal have plenty of work to do in order to become competitive again…

Yeah, sad truth @Torgeirtrap it's really depressing and you're right, I don't understand Arsenal's transfer plan. And like you, I too don't understand Arsenal's interest in Ramsdale.

Seems like the deal is done now too. Ramsdale will probably be announced with Ødegaard later today.

Yeah. It looks that way. Probably Arsenal's most uncertain season yet.

No matter how the transfer window ends up, I'm not getting my hopes up for an improvement from last season. Arsenal are no better than that 8th place from last season. I'm even not sure they'll finish top ten!

Tammy would have been a good signing for english clubs as he scored some nice goals with limited opportunities last season.

I read some paper talk that Arsenal were interested and i wouldn't mind him at Liverpool as we rely on Salah too much. Too late now.

I read that Liverpool have the maximum allowed foreign players so maybe they should start getting some english,british players although we have some promising younger players.

If Auba gets back to his best Arsenal will be back again especially in the cups again.
    You won the fa cup last year so it's not you are like trophy less for decades like some other big clubs.

Arsenal vs Chelsea with crowds back will be a great game.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 17,293

He did well last season.

Sceptical. Arsenal need players who can create chances, which Ødegaard is more than capable of, but they also need players that can deliver goals as well.

No matter how the transfer window ends up, I'm not getting my hopes up for an improvement from last season. Arsenal are no better than that 8th place from last season. I'm even not sure they'll finish top ten!

Tammy would have been a good signing for english clubs as he scored some nice goals with limited opportunities last season.

I read some paper talk that Arsenal were interested and i wouldn't mind him at Liverpool as we rely on Salah too much. Too late now.

I read that Liverpool have the maximum allowed foreign players so maybe they should start getting some english,british players although we have some promising younger players.

I'm a bit surprised Abraham didn't end up in an English club, but as we've seen with British players abroad in recent years, opportunities might be just as good in another league. It will be interesting to follow how he plays at Roma.

Are there any young Liverpool talents that we might see more of this season?
    If Auba gets back to his best Arsenal will be back again especially in the cups again.
    You won the fa cup last year so it's not you are like trophy less for decades like some other big clubs.

Arsenal's FA Cup win is almost an anomaly from how they've performed since, and is probably a big factor that Arteta is still in charge. But it's only been downhill from there, and Arsenal will struggle this season.

Arsenal really need Auba and Lacazette to get back at their best, but I think the attack is lacking even with them in the team. We'll see when Arteta has a full squad at disposal…
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,354

He did well last season.

I'm a bit surprised Abraham didn't end up in an English club, but as we've seen with British players abroad in recent years, opportunities might be just as good in another league. It will be interesting to follow how he plays at Roma.

Arsenal's FA Cup win is almost an anomaly from how they've performed since, and is probably a big factor that Arteta is still in charge. But it's only been downhill from there, and Arsenal will struggle this season.

Arsenal really need Auba and Lacazette to get back at their best, but I think the attack is lacking even with them in the team. We'll see when Arteta has a full squad at disposal…

Arsenal spent £129m the most in the epl this season,so far.
    Kroenke opened up his wallet big time this season.

Mateusz Musiałowski highlights look good.

He did well last season.

The Kroenke's did put money on the table, but was it for the right players? Still don't get why they would pay that much for Ramsdale unless he's going to take that No. 1 spot from Leno.

He does! Does he train with the first team?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    From the outside Arsenals signings seem underwhelming despite spending money. I think they could have got better quality for the money spent.

He did well last season.

The Kroenke's did put money on the table, but was it for the right players? Still don't get why they would pay that much for Ramsdale unless he's going to take that No. 1 spot from Leno.

At this stage, apart from Ødegaard, it looks like they signed some average players for too much money.

I don't know if Mateusz Musiałowski trains with the first team.

He did well last season.

At this stage, apart from Ødegaard, it looks like they signed some average players for too much money.

That's Arsenal's transfers in a nutshell for several seasons now…

One to watch in the upcoming seasons perhaps. I see Harvey Elliott starts for Liverpool against Burnley.

He did well last season.

One to watch in the upcoming seasons perhaps. I see Harvey Elliott starts for Liverpool against Burnley.

Maybe Mateusz could get a chance in the cups this season.

Harvey Elliott played well yesterday.

Any more Arsenal academy players looking good like Saka and Smith Rowe do ?

He did well last season.

Maybe Mateusz could get a chance in the cups this season.

Harvey Elliott played well yesterday.

Any more Arsenal academy players looking good like Saka and Smith Rowe do ?

Yes, Elliott looked promising playing against Burnley yesterday. He could have his breakthrough season if he gets enough minutes.

From what I've seen and read, Saka and Smith Rowe are probably an exception; the progress they've had is quite unique. Folarin Balogun could be one to watch, but it's too early to tell if he can make his way into the first team. The same with Miguel Azeez. If Arsenal had qualified for a European tournament this season, we could have seen more of them. Without European football, we will likely only see them get a few minutes here and there, unfortunately.
    It's a really fun tweet, but might actually be the case next season…

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Arsenal wont get relegated, I am sure they will pick up points after this run of games.

Arsenal wont get relegated, I am sure they will pick up points after this run of games.

That depends on how this run of games turn out. If they're on the back heel and don't pick up points (which is likely the way they play), then they could be in a relegation battle.

That depends on how this run of games turn out. If they're on the back heel and don't pick up points (which is likely the way they play), then they could be in a relegation battle.

You will take at least a point of Ole at home lol

Arsenal fans calling for Arteta to be sacked, then what? Think you have to stick with him, no guarantee a new manager will do any better.

You will take at least a point of Ole at home lol

Arsenal fans calling for Arteta to be sacked, then what? Think you have to stick with him, no guarantee a new manager will do any better.

Arteta has most likely lost the goodwill of almost the entire fanbase by now, and his time at the club will depend on how he manages to turn things around. 20 defeats out of 60 league games is a horrible statistic for a club that aims to be among the top four, and Arsenal correspondents James Benge and Charles Watts have brought up some very timely comments after the Chelsea game:

There doesn't look to be any sort of plan behind the way Arsenal play. At least with an experienced manager, you'd see signs of that.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,376
    Mikel Arteta has five games to turn Arsenal around or face fight for his job
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/08/23/mikel-arteta-has-five-games-turn-arsenal-around-face-fight-job/

Seems harsh to me, let him get his players back at least for a period of time.

Logically speaking do you give a manager £126 Million to spend on players that he wants then sack him? No chance, Arteta will be there all season I think.
    Gonna be a challenging season for the Norwich boys. Lets get these first 6 games out the way! X_X :)) OTBC!!!!!
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/08/23/mikel-arteta-has-five-games-turn-arsenal-around-face-fight-job/

Logically speaking do you give a manager £126 Million to spend on players that he wants then sack him? No chance, Arteta will be there all season I think.

This is probably just newspaper nonsense anyway. But Arteta shouldn't be safe from being replaced either. The playing style have been planless, and that needs to change quickly. Arsenal can't afford to fall even further behind just for the sake of "the project". They need to win games now.

This is probably just newspaper nonsense anyway. But Arteta shouldn't be safe from being replaced either. The playing style have been planless, and that needs to change quickly. Arsenal can't afford to fall even further behind just for the sake of "the project". They need to win games now.

Agree any team needs to win games now, though Kronkee has backed the 'Project' with an uncharacteristic statement. He has allowed Arteta to be in this situation.

Agree any team needs to win games now, though Kronkee has backed the 'Project' with an uncharacteristic statement. He has allowed Arteta to be in this situation.

It's on both of them, I think. The Kroenke's should have backed the project from the start, bringing in the right type of players straight away.

However, Arteta shouldn't be clear of criticism. After the surprising FA Cup win, we haven't really seen the team heading in a clear direction, which we should have seen by now. Take Klopp at Liverpool as an example; even from the very beginning you could see what his team would eventually end up playing.

It's on both of them, I think. The Kroenke's should have backed the project from the start, bringing in the right type of players straight away.

However, Arteta shouldn't be clear of criticism. After the surprising FA Cup win, we haven't really seen the team heading in a clear direction, which we should have seen by now. Take Klopp at Liverpool as an example; even from the very beginning you could see what his team would eventually end up playing.

Auba getting a hattrick last night will settle a few fans nerves, Auba right now your most important player you need him firing.
    Champions League Draw Live! Nice tribute to all those involved saving the life of Christian Eriksen.
    CL GROUP-STAGE DRAW IN FULL

Group A: Man City, PSG, RB Leipzig, Club Brugge

Group B: Atletico Madrid, Liverpool, Porto, AC Milan

Group C: Sporting, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax, Besiktas

Group D: Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Sherrif Tiraspol

Group E: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Benfica, Dynamo Kyiv

Group F: Villarreal, Man Utd, Atalanta, Young Boys

Group G: Lille, Sevilla, Salzburg, Wolfsburg

Group H: Chelsea, Juventus, Zenit, Malmo

Some interesting ties there.

Auba getting a hattrick last night will settle a few fans nerves, Auba right now your most important player you need him firing.

Arsenal definitely need Auba finding the net this season; the rumours about Arsenal targeting another striker suggests that they are trying to address the lack of goals scored. Doubt they'll sign anyone this transfer window though.

The opposition defence didn't offer much last night, and Auba had an easy night on the pitch. That won't be the case when playing teams like City, United, Liverpool, Sp*rs or Chelsea…
    Looks like Ronny may be on his way back to United, with Cavani's schedule and constant isolation we will need him. Hopefully we will get a Ronny return.

Edited: This is accelerating fast, Man United make official bid for Ronaldo. Ronaldo already left Juve/Italy.

Jorge Mendes: Ronaldo to Man United deal very close. I am holding my breathe until its concrete.

Man United offer 25 Million Euro's to Juve. If Ronny returns shirt and merch sales will be off the chart. Contract would be a 2 year deal.

Reports from Italy seems its a go...
    Fabrizio Romano... Here we go. My eyes are welling up

Sky Sports just in United have reached an agreement to sign Ronaldo.
    pumped-woooo.gif

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man Utd site has just crashed :))
    De Gea
    AWB Maguire Varane Shaw
    Fred/Mctominay DVDB/Pogba
    Sancho/Greenwood Rashford/Martial
    Bruno
    Ronaldo/Cavani

Some good attacking options there, I am still hoping we will sign someone like Bissouma.
    Just the announcement of United signing Ronaldo United's share prices have gone up 200 Million, crazy.
    This Arsenal team is so embarrassing. Arteta picks this game to start experimenting with the defence? Hope the board have a list of potential replacements…
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    This Arsenal team is so embarrassing. Arteta picks this game to start experimenting with the defence? Hope the board have a list of potential replacements…

It's beyond me. Hmmmmmm.

It's beyond me. Hmmmmmm.

3-0 now, and a Xhaka red card too.

4-0, and fans have apparently left the stadium before half-time. This is just bleak.

…and those who chose to stay…