"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Have you saw the highlights? During the waaaaay too generous penalty action there were two balls on the field so the ref should’ve stopped the game.

Anyway England deserved the win. Except for a free kick Denmark basically never shot on target.

Statistically this is Italy’s fourth Euro final and we lost the last two.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,395
    As the Euro's Final approaches, here are some great images of the England's World Cup winning Captain Sir Bobby Moore visiting Pinewood and meeting Sir Sean Connery. Jimmy Greaves and Yul Brynner are also in shot...

GettyImages-3133702.jpg

s-l400.jpg
    All i am going to say is COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!! [-O< :-SS :!! X_X \m/ <:-P
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 7,500
    In other news, Argentina has won their first Copa America since the year I was born, 1993. Can't believe it's been that long!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    jobo wrote: »
    In other news, Argentina has won their first Copa America since the year I was born, 1993. Can't believe it's been that long!

I was surprised Argentina had not won it in so long, finally Messi gets International Silverware, though I don't subscribe to having to win international honors to be considered one of the best.

George Best was genius irrespective of his national team.
  • Congrats to Argentina! And COME ON ENGLAND!!
    jobo wrote: »

I was surprised Argentina had not won it in so long, finally Messi gets International Silverware, though I don't subscribe to having to win international honors to be considered one of the best.

George Best was genius irrespective of his national team.

At least the old and ridiculous narrative that "he doesn't care as much when playing with Argentina" can be buried for good. Anyone who vitnessed the celebrations yesterday could see how much it meant to him.
    I am more relaxed before the final than I thought I would be, been out all day so avoided the build up.
  • I am more relaxed before the final than I thought I would be, been out all day so avoided the build up.

so am I, much less nervous than before the Denmark game actually
  • The English footballers 3 bars behind in the National Anthem...
  • The rainbow-coloured robotised car that brings the ball onto the pitch has just arrived!!!
    OMG Shawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 508
    This goal will be a morale booster for England certainly
    I'm having flashbacks to the Croatia game in the semis in 2018

I'm not lol we have moved on from that, positive thinking.
    Tom Cruise fist bumped Beckham after Shaw scored :))
  • Tom Cruise fist bumped Beckham after Shaw scored :))

:))
  • I'm having flashbacks to the Croatia game in the semis in 2018

I'm not lol we have moved on from that, positive thinking.

yeah, you're right
  • The location and weather does favour England as well as the morale
    Good start from England though a long way to go.
  • Very close from Chiesa!!
  • Good start from England though a long way to go.

yeah, England looking good
  • I don't like Italy's dirty playstyle. Nasty from Insigne on Declan Rice.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,816
    The location and weather does favour England as well as the morale

Just as long as the projected swarm of flying ants don't descend on the fans. They're not nice company, believe me! 🐜
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

Just as long as the projected swarm of flying ants don't descend on the fans. They're not nice company, believe me! 🐜

ah yes, the flying ants =))
  • 4 minutes of added time at half time? Come on England, see the half out...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,816
    Dragonpol wrote: »

ah yes, the flying ants =))

Back in 2007 they literally drove me out of a hay field I was working in. Never felt anything like it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Oh ? is there a match on tonight chaps ? :D
    Good first half, need to get that second goal early in the second half. COME ON ENGLAND!!!
  • Oh ? is there a match on tonight chaps ? :D

nope
  • Good first half, need to get that second goal early in the second half. COME ON ENGLAND!!!

agreed