"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    RC7 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    If you enjoy the game of football Chelsea should lose tomorrow.

If you enjoy the game of football you respect that the diversity of tactics and play make it the best and most unpredictable sport in the world. At the end of the day it's 11 v 11.

I enjoy the diversity of tactics, but there is football and anti-football and Mourinho is the pope of the latter. He is a disgusting coach bent on hate towards his collegues and different teams and his Chelsea showed anti-football which is worse than bad football.

I love football but prefer Mourinho and any team he coaches to lose, nothing to do with Chelsea.

His teams win important football matches and it's not fluke. If a coach can't set up their team to defeat his sides then that's too bad. Football is a competitive sport and you do what it takes to win. It's not always about beauty or those who deserve it on paper. That would be shite and rip the heart out of the game.

no but it is entertainment. If sitting back so deep with a back 6 and 3 defensive midfielders in front is you're thing then fine crack on but I'm out.
  • RC7RC7
    DCisared wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    If you enjoy the game of football Chelsea should lose tomorrow.

If you enjoy the game of football you respect that the diversity of tactics and play make it the best and most unpredictable sport in the world. At the end of the day it's 11 v 11.

I enjoy the diversity of tactics, but there is football and anti-football and Mourinho is the pope of the latter. He is a disgusting coach bent on hate towards his collegues and different teams and his Chelsea showed anti-football which is worse than bad football.

I love football but prefer Mourinho and any team he coaches to lose, nothing to do with Chelsea.

His teams win important football matches and it's not fluke. If a coach can't set up their team to defeat his sides then that's too bad. Football is a competitive sport and you do what it takes to win. It's not always about beauty or those who deserve it on paper. That would be shite and rip the heart out of the game.

no but it is entertainment. If sitting back so deep with a back 6 and 3 defensive midfielders in front is you're thing then fine crack on but I'm out.

Well, you're annoyed because he tactically outwitted your bizarrely naive manager. I don't like it, I don't endorse it, but it's football. Wenger used to wank on about it all the time when his parade of prima donna's went to a wet and windy Ewood park. 'They stopped us playing'. That's not bad, it's what you do. It's football, period. Liverpool should have been flattered that Mourinho approached the game in the way he did, what's unforgivable is that every football fan in the world knew it would happen, yet Rodgers allowed it. Plus, as an LFC fan you should know that there are numerous successes of your own attributed to similar tactics. Souness as good as admitted it on Sunday. Swings and roundabouts.
    I do not mind Mourinho using that tactic, but I do hope he loses the game against Athletico simply because it destroys any fun for the finale. It will make sure that a lot less people want to watch that game simply due to the tactics played.

Football is at the end of the day entertainment.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 7,506
    SaintMark wrote:
    I do not mind Mourinho using that tactic, but I do hope he loses the game against Athletico simply because it destroys any fun for the finale. It will make sure that a lot less people want to watch that game simply due to the tactics played.

Football is at the end of the day entertainment.

I somewhat agree with your point, but please remember that the stylistic difference between Mourinho/Chelsea and Simeone/Atletico is minimal. A considerable lot of Atletico's achievements against good sides the last couple of years, has been based on parking the bus. They have played like that consistently against the big two in Spain under Simeone, with a 20 minute period in the last quarter final round against Barca being about the only exception. Apart from the striking difference in general behavior and public persona, Mou and Simeone are quite similar in pure football tactic/stylistic terms.

No matter which team qualifies to meet Real Madrid in the final, you bet they will play with every man behind the ball for most, if not all, of the game. I would be much more willing to accept a team with limited resources like Atletico doing it rather than Abramowitch's boys, though...
    Halftime with 1-1 and this match has much better value when it comes to football.
    It seems that somebody did nick Mourinho's busses. :D
    In honour of Jaws:

"You're gonna need a bigger bus". ;-)
    So it will be a Madrid occasion in Lisbon, and I cannot find fault with that.

Abramowich & Mourinho just did not deserve it.
    An all Madrid final! Count me in for that one when it comes round! That is why an away goal is so important in this competition!
    10154302_10204014372019387_6723650797077491552_n.jpg

:D

=))
    Bristol Rovers 94 year stay in the Football League came to an end today as they were relegated following a defeat at home to Mansfield.

The Gas Heads accepted their demise in the dignified manner you would expect...

article-2619537-1D8BEAEB00000578-522_634x407.jpg

article-2619537-1D8BE61900000578-69_634x957.jpg

article-2619537-1D8BB8CD00000578-346_634x459.jpg
    Haha. The charming and noble British football culture... :))
    jobo wrote:
    Haha. The charming and noble British football culture... :))

Just another sunny day in Bristol ;-)
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    A good result for our last home game of the season, which is nice. We played well although Spurs were pretty sh*t. Man City next week.

=)) This is brilliant.
    Adebayor and Paulinhio should be ashamed of the way they chickened out of the way for Downing's goal. That's just disgraceful.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    As you said @WillyGalore, just another day in Bristol. They should be ashamed, tho, it's like the 80's, all over again.
    royale65 wrote:
    As you said @WillyGalore, just another day in Bristol. They should be ashamed, tho, it's like the 80's, all over again.

The City/Rovers derby is one of the most toxic in the country. It is fuelled by pure hatred for each other. Neither set of fans can claim to take the moral high ground. I'm a proud Bristolian but it really does put the city to shame when fans act like this.

Thankfully, it'll be some time before the next City/Rovers derby (unless they get drawn in a cup tie of course).
    Toxic... exactly the right word to describe that particular fixture. You're from Bristol? we're practically neighbours....
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Not at the moment we're not. Been up in the North East for the last five years. ;-)

Where in the south western peninsular do you hail from?
    Well i see it is now advantage Man City for the title!
    Who's for a sing-a-long? ;-)

That is just fantastic! :D

=))
    Who's for a sing-a-long? ;-)

Just logged on to say a well done to the Norwich boys for a great away game result today. WillyGalore that video is just hilarious! Still laughing now! =))

I am still resigned to Championship football next season as their is no way Sunderland will not get atleast 1 point from their 2 remaining home games. And to be fair they deserve it more than us as their recent results in particular have proven it.
    @RogueAgent What do you make of this possible legal action against Sunderland for an ineligible player by Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham. Little bit of sour grapes?
    @RogueAgent What do you make of this possible legal action against Sunderland for an ineligible player by Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham. Little bit of sour grapes?

Completely agree with you Willy. This happened I think 2 months ago as I understand it? Although the news broke today so it should have been raised then and not now imho.
    Sunderland only took 1 point in the games in which Li played so he hardly made much difference. Cardiff and Fulham have been relegated because they've been shit. Not because they've been cheated.

I'd like to see Norwich stay up but it's unlikely now. However, my friends never thought Bristol Rovers would go down to the Conference but that happened yesterday so you never know! :-)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Crap end to a crap season for the gas and I don't even follow football in any shape or form and as for the shameful display at the end well that's just adding insult to injury wish those gas fan would GROW UP.
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Crap end to a crap season for the gas and I don't even follow football in any shape or form and as for the shameful display at the end well that's just adding insult to injury wish those gas fan would GROW UP.

For a city as great as Bristol, we really let ourselves down when it comes to football. One team in League One and when the other now in the Conference. The fans are also an embarrassment.

And how this affects Rovers plans for a new multi million stadium, lord knows. They'll be more concerned with avoiding administration!
    @WillyGalore - near Bath ;-)