"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

RogueAgent wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    Sherwood is being heavily linked with Brighton.....

No idea off the top of my head but didn't Brighton sneak into the playoffs on the final day?

Yes, they got stuffed 6-2 by Derby in the play offs.

Wow, McClaren certainly has got them playing! No idea how any of the playoffs have gone to be honest! I know Wigan drew their first match last week sometime but that's it.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:

No idea off the top of my head but didn't Brighton sneak into the playoffs on the final day?

Wow, McClaren certainly has got them playing! No idea how any of the playoffs have gone to be honest! I know Wigan drew their first match last week sometime but that's it.

SCHTEEEEEEEVE!!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:

SCHTEEEEEEEVE!!

That interview when he was at FC Twente was hilarious!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:

Wigan lost the 2nd leg to QPR 2-1...a really good match as well.

The final will be Derby vs QPR,one im looking forward to watching.

001 wrote:
    Congratulations to the sheihk's who bought the man city fans the EPL trophy, and for not sticking to the financial fair play rule.

Kick them out of europe next season as a penalty. Come on Platini,do SOMETHING.

And who ever said Scousers weren't gracious in defeat... ;-)

Australians aren't gracious in defeat :) I'm no scouser.
    We love football meat pies kangaroos and Holden cars. \:D/

How many accents do you english have anyway Willy? ;)
    001 wrote:
    001 wrote:
    Congratulations to the sheihk's who bought the man city fans the EPL trophy, and for not sticking to the financial fair play rule.

Australians aren't gracious in defeat :) I'm no scouser.
    We love football meat pies kangaroos and Holden cars. \:D/

How many accents do you english have anyway Willy? ;)

Just the one. Only West Country counts. ;-)
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    RC7 wrote:
    001 wrote:

There is a reason stereotypes are perpetuated. Always the victim etc.

how would you describe United's season @RC7 ? Plane crash?
    the Bela Guttman curse

Known as the Jose Mourinho of his era, Guttman had just led Benfica to back-to-back European Cup victories and the Portuguese club looked set to rule the international stage for years to come.

However, shortly after steering his side to victory over Real Madrid in 1962, Guttman quit when his request for a pay rise was turned down.

On leaving he allegedly cursed the club, declaring "not in a hundred years from now will Benfica ever be European champion."

And so far it hasn't.

It has lost to AC Milan (twice), Inter Milan, Manchester United and PSV Eindhoven in the European Cup and Anderlecht, Chelsea and now Benfica in the Europa League or UEFA Cup as it was formerly known.

The last European Cup final it was involved in was held in Vienna, where Guttman is buried, and legend Eusebio even went to the grave of his former manager to pray for the curse to be lifted.

It had little effect and Benfica remains jinxed.

Still 48 years to go...........

Everybody loves a Tall tale from their favorite sport.
    When it comes to sporting curses, nothing beats the Chicago Cubs and the curse of Billy the Goat. Now 106 years and counting since a World Series win...
    When it comes to sporting curses, nothing beats the Chicago Cubs and the curse of Billy the Goat. Now 106 years and counting since a World Series win...

That is the American stuff,

8 times in a finale and 8 times losing is just impressive.

SaintMark wrote:

When you take such piss poor penalties as Benfica did last night, you deserve to lose. :-)
    SaintMark wrote:

When you take such piss poor penalties as Benfica did last night, you deserve to lose. :-)

Yes they did, but on basis of the game they did deserve to win in my humble opinion.

But still 8 times losing a finale is pretty bad.

Then again the Netherlands 3 times in the WC finale and never won.

barryt007 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:

Wigan lost the 2nd leg to QPR 2-1...a really good match as well.

The final will be Derby vs QPR,one im looking forward to watching.

I wonder if QPR should lose to Derby? Whether he will stay another season with them?
  • RC7RC7
    DCisared wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    001 wrote:

God, no. More of a Hillsborough.
    RC7 wrote:
    DCisared wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    001 wrote:

God, no. More of a Hillsborough.

That's a pathetic disgusting thing to say DCisared AND RC7 . Show a bit of class.
    Kelsey Grammer clearly enjoying himself at the Memorial Stadium watching Bristol Rovers back in April:

article-0-1D3D3A3A00000578-110_634x460.jpg

;-)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Side show Bobs alter ego a Gas head who would of thought !
    Still no news on a new manager for us yet? :-?
    Fa cup final should be interesting. Steve bruce is a underrated manager and if arsenal lose there will be a lot of arsenal fans asking for some big signings again.

Barcelona v ath madrid game should be an exciting end to la liga.
    Well, this is it! D-day!

Lets bring out the big guns and blow Aletico's bus to pieces! :ar!
    jobo wrote:
    Well, this is it! D-day!

agreed

Hull currently 2-1 up in the Cup Final. Cracking match already after only 16 minutes!
    Hull currently 2-1 up in the Cup Final. Cracking match already after only 16 minutes!

Who gives a toss? ;)
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote:

Who gives a toss? ;)

More people than care about Barca winning the league. Yawn.

jobo wrote:

Who gives a toss? ;)

Well played Sir. =D> :D
  • RC7RC7
    Well done Athletico. An absolutely monumental achievement.
    SaintMark wrote:
    jobo wrote:
    Well, this is it! D-day!

agreed

Aww, poor Barca. Trophy less season. ;-)
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,506
    Aww, poor Barca. Trophy less season. ;-)

When they don't play better than this they don't deserve it, obviously. A decent Barcelona side would have won today, but it doesn't seem like the players really care about winning anymore. Certainly not as much as Atletico, anyway... Atletico definitely deserve a warm gratultion. =D>

And it was in a way quite telling that a corner kick lost us the title. Barca's weakest area yet again proving fatal. Just then (but mind you, only then!) I wouldn't have minded a 2 meter tall all muscle bloke from the British Isles in our back four... which seems to be the only kind of footballers you guys are succesfully able to produce, by the way... ;)

A fun fact: The only Atletico player who had ever won the Spanish League title before today was David Villa... and he won both, 2 in total, playing for Barcelona of course! :) Maybe it was meant to be this year...

Congrats Athletico well done.

The WC campaign of the Netherlands has started as well in Amsterdam a friendly against Ecuador.

What is the score with Hull vs Arsenal?
    Arsenal won 3-2 in extra time.