A potential James Bond TV series

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Virage wrote:
    TonyEbik wrote:
    Good idea, but i reckon it will work well with Charlie Higgson's James Bond, when he was a kid..

Actually thats not a bad idea....

I reckon it's one of the worst.

Come on, people, the young Bond stuff has to stop. Bond as a kid? This isn't Smallville, right. How much more damage can we bring to Fleming's legacy? Explaining away Bond's youth when the master himself wouldn't even give us more than an occasional peak into Bond's past? I vote NO.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Virage wrote:
    TonyEbik wrote:
    Good idea, but i reckon it will work well with Charlie Higgson's James Bond, when he was a kid..

Actually thats not a bad idea....

I reckon it's one of the worst.

Worst than having David Hasselhoff as James Bond ? ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Here I am, trying to enjoy a quiet evening with a good book and a glass of tomato juice and you had to throw the Hoff in my face! [-(
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Here I am, trying to enjoy a quiet evening with a good book and a glass of tomato juice and you had to throw the Hoff in my face! [-(

Some thing are best not to be mentioned around here ;) 007RogerMoore is surely testing every possible limit that MI6Community can handle......

I think I´m out of your reach, BTW. Now I can diss you however I want. ;)

I'd love for you to show me where I said I didn't have friends in Sweden. B-)

Oh, no! I was just kidding, good sir. Please don´t kill me, PLEASE! PLEASE!
    =))
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    This thread was a completely different being a few weeks back. Now it reads like a radical's tale of standing up against the all knowing all seeing government entity, where the radical fights for his beliefs only to be captured and purged from society. Damn.

I die in the name of the honourful TMWTGG.
    Ok, I do not know what have happened with this thread and I am tempted to cite my fellow swede Izabella Scorupco as Natalya Simonova: "Stop it, both of you!! You´re like boys with toys!" :).

However, I just saw "Mr Mad Men" Jon Hamm and of course thought that he could play the television series Bond based on his looks. I do not know the first thing about his acting skills though. I am even more convinced now than when I started this thread that a Bond series could be heaven if made correctly. Just employ Gatiss and Moffat and let them solve this.
    Perhaps a compromise between a TV series of Young Bond and a TV series about full 007 Bond would be a series about Bond in MI6 before he became a 00. I don't think anything has ever really been done about that. Though one would question what time period it would be set in.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sorry to revive this topic, but has anyone heard of the upcoming show 'Elementary,' which stars Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes in modern day Manhattan...with Lucy Liu playing Watson?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm sorry to revive this topic, but has anyone heard of the upcoming show 'Elementary,' which stars Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes in modern day Manhattan...with Lucy Liu playing Watson?

I was just out walking my rat and I seemed to have lost my way....

Anyway...this can't be good.

@Murdock, just another way Americans want to rip off excellent ideas and make them their own. Granted, I love the RDJ 'Sherlock Holmes' films, and I don't think you can beat the Cumberbatch driven 'Sherlock' TV series, yet here we are, ready to try and one up it with terrible casting. Who thought casting an Asian-American woman as Watson was a good idea?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, just another way Americans want to rip off excellent ideas and make them their own. Granted, I love the RDJ 'Sherlock Holmes' films, and I don't think you can beat the Cumberbatch driven 'Sherlock' TV series, yet here we are, ready to try and one up it with terrible casting. Who thought casting an Asian-American woman as Watson was a good idea?

I don't know. Luckily I stopped watching television altogether. I can't stand anything that's being put on the airwaves anymore.

However, I'm glad my favorite "good quality" shows are on DVD now so I can enjoy them forever.
    @Murdock, neither can I. I enjoy the occasional show: 'Dexter,' 'Californication,' and 'Sherlock,' but I can watch them all online, so I just cancelled my Dish receiver about a year ago. TV is pointless any more. I have a hearty collection of blu-rays to keep me company.
    Creasy47 wrote:

So it's "Sherlock", but American?
    edited July 2012 Posts: 16,330
    @Creasy47 Luckily for me I got most of my favorite TV shows/cartoons on DVD. :)

Ah 1960's-1999 why did you have to leave us so soon? :((
    @thelivingroyale, it's like 'Sherlock,' only American, terrible casting, and a different setting. Apparently Sherlock just got out of rehab in this one, and Lucy Liu's Watson is his psychiatrist/aide or something, I'm not sure.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelivingroyale, it's like 'Sherlock,' only American, terrible casting, and a different setting. Apparently Sherlock just got out of rehab in this one, and Lucy Liu's Watson is his psychiatrist/aide or something, I'm not sure.

I give it a week before it's canceled.
    @Murdock, what's upsetting is how easy that is to predict, yet shows like this get greenlit all the time.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 16,330
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, what's upsetting is how easy that is to predict, yet shows like this get greenlit all the time.

I think Studio Execs throw multiple ideas in a hat and make a weird breed. Then they think it's going to make money. Yep TV is Doomed. lol
    It seems that every few months, a new article is released stating thirty to forty shows - most that recently were given a series premiere - that are already cancelled. Granted, there are a few rare gems in the bunch, but how long will this go on? Just look at 'Elementary,' a group of people actually sat down and thought that would be a good idea.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Meanwhile, back on topic...

I didn't enter this nearly four-month old topic to derail it, that would be pointless. I just didn't find a more suitable place to talk about the 'Elementary' show, and since this topic does deal with the 'Sherlock' TV reboot, I thought the American one would fit, as well. It sounds like such a joke that I didn't even feel it deserved a thread of its own.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    @creasy47 Hey, I'm just saying it was a bit off topic. And frankly, I think the topic is pretty dead anyway, as you say. I was only trying to steer it back to give it another chance before it got deemed lockable.

And, yes, you're right, opening another thread would have been a bit pointless, so thanks.
  • oo7oo7
    Creasy47 wrote:

I didn't enter this nearly four-month old topic to derail it, that would be pointless. I just didn't find a more suitable place to talk about the 'Elementary' show, and since this topic does deal with the 'Sherlock' TV reboot, I thought the American one would fit, as well. It sounds like such a joke that I didn't even feel it deserved a thread of its own.
    looks ok
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    My sense is that Eon would not do this because they'd be afraid of diluting the "event" quality of the films. Back in 1986, Brosnan was passed over by Cubby partly because he didn't think people would pay to see someone in a theater if they could see him for free on TV every week. But of course times have changed and TV actors have crossed over and back...

If they did a faithful TV series, I'd hope it would be a period piece. Leave the updating/cutting-edge technology to the film series.
  • Creasy47 wrote:

I'm with you on Lucy Liu as "Watson". It goes to show how PC Hollywood has become and the utter lack of originality that exists.

I feel sorry for Bernard Lee's grandson. Yes it's a starring role and all, and he's probably getting well paid for it, but the chances of me hacking up a hairball are better than me watching this show.
  • DB5DB5
    OK, for the last time, let me explain the facts of life to everybody who entertains these fantasies of seeing faithful adaptations of the Ian Fleming James Bond novels on television. This is NOT going to happen! At least not over the course of the next thirty years. Eon has the exclusive media rights to the James Bond character. I'd also like to see a faithful adaptation of "You Only Live Twice" and "The Man with the Golden Gun." I'd also like to see Christie Brinkley naked in my bed. Neither one is likely to happen anytime soon!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DB5 wrote:
    OK, for the last time, let me explain the facts of life to everybody who entertains these fantasies of seeing faithful adaptations of the Ian Fleming James Bond novels on television. This is NOT going to happen! At least not over the course of the next thirty years. Eon has the exclusive media rights to the James Bond character. I'd also like to see a faithful adaptation of "You Only Live Twice" and "The Man with the Golden Gun." I'd also like to see Christie Brinkley naked in my bed. Neither one is likely to happen anytime soon!

Why is it you assume we don't already know this? Is there a problem with stating your fantasies or dreams?
    DB5 wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I assume you are in charge of Eon then and make all their decisions?

Justin putting it out there - who would have thought a book series on Young Bond would have been given the green light? Not me, but it happened. Who's to say beyond all certainty that the licence holders for the on screen Bond may be open to other creative / alternative media opportunities to increase their 'business' in the future?