A potential James Bond TV series

Comments

• The only way I'd want to see a Bond TV series would be as a period piece set in the 50's, and a word for word re-make of Flemings books. Each season could be a new book. That would be entertaining
  • RogueAgent wrote: »
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    HELL NO.
    BOND STAYS ON THE BIG SCREEN --- PERIOD

Seconded my friend!!!

I don't get the logic behind this. A Bond TV series wouldn't mean no more films, they're two different mediums and they could easily co exist (just like the films and the video games do now). It wouldn't affect the production of the films.

A Bond TV series would just mean more Bond content for us to enjoy and why would that be a bad thing?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    HELL NO.
    BOND STAYS ON THE BIG SCREEN --- PERIOD

Seconded my friend!!!

I don't get the logic behind this. A Bond TV series wouldn't mean no more films, they're two different mediums and they could easily co exist (just like the films and the video games do now). It wouldn't affect the production of the films.

A Bond TV series would just mean more Bond content for us to enjoy and why would that be a bad thing?

I just think it would cheapen the franchise! It is highly successful which is why it is 52 years old and still going strong. I would sooner see the time and care poured into the next film personallly.
    Good god! No - just no. TV is disposable. Movies last forever. I don't want anyone making a fast buck and killing Bond's credibility for a generation.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love the comments of those against the idea. :))
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622
    What would be real good, would be an HBO series re-doing all the Fleming stories in order and in modern day setting, and as faithful to the original stories as the medium will allow.
    I wouldn't want period settings as that would draw comparisons with the early films.
  • timmer wrote: »
    What would be real good, would be an HBO series re-doing all the Fleming stories in order and in modern day setting, and as faithful to the original stories as the medium will allow.
    I wouldn't want period settings as that would draw comparisons with the early films.

I see your point. Either way, I think a series faithful to the books and sharing no trademarks with the films could be great. It's probably the only way we'll ever see Mooranker with just one rocket and a submarine, or Scaramanga being a low-budget villain without lasers or fun houses, or the hilderbrand rarity adapted faithfully. I also believe that they should avoid the books that have been faithfully adapted in the Connery-Lazenby time, and stick with the few plots that were completely transformed or ignored, such as those I already mentioned. Also, in my opinion it should be a short series so that they don't drag it out too far.
    The latter half of this thread has brought up the hypothetical idea of having a period version of the James Bond novels set in the time period of the novels. The idea being that they would be shown on a channel that isn't restrictive - like the American HBO channel, where they can show violence, nudity, alcoholism etc.

If this were to, hypothetically, happen, who would you cast in the various roles?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    No ideas now as per the casting, but I think this would be great to see. Can't stand the idea that something like this would "dilute the franchise"; it would have the potential to be more, good Bond to watch, and if it's bad, then the film franchise still exists!
    Also channels like HBO and the AMC have shown us that incredible dramas can exist on television; I'd absolutely welcome something like this happening.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sooner or later it will.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,552
    Admiral Sir Miles Messervy: Sir Michael Gambon
    article-2403635-0D651EAD00000578-125_308x425.jpg

• mibmib
    Rhys Ifans or Jason Isaac for James Bond
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Autumn Reeser as Tracy DiVincenzo.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Ive wished for a young Bond series... maybe older period movies on HBO kinda like what is planned for the new graphic novels.

You would kind of have a contemporary Bond on the big screen and a classic more literary based on the small screen. Then Blue ray maybe...

Just a fantasy.
  • Andrea Riseborough as Vesper Lynd :)

Andrea-Riseborough-defie-les-lois-du-physique_article_landscape_pm_v8.jpg
    tumblr_nj1tznrxik1rv0z1no1_1280.jpg
    Ever since I started reading the Fleming novels I couldn't help but feel that they were quite different from the movie empire that followed them. I mean sure, Dr. No is pretty closely adapted as is Thunderball but other books are quite different from there film counterparts. I know that Moonraker is a popular book and I knew I'd like to see it made into a film or something ever since I read it. But that got me thinking, wouldn't it be cool if they made these books into a TV drama? I could see each season being devoted to one book at a time and that way they could really get into Flemings world and explore there distinctly 50's atmosphere. What do people think?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Its a good idea though.....but the csating has to be right! Dominic Cooper for Bond.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Its a good idea though.....but the csating has to be right! Dominic Cooper for Bond.

I quite agree that casting would probably be the most important thing but I'm not sure if Cooper would be the right man for the job. I liked him as Fleming in the BBC show a year or so ago, but I didn't feel like it was the real thing. He's not somber enough. Maybe I just can't keep the picture of him as Howard Stark out of my mind.

Anyway, a TV series would be the perfect way to go back to Fleming and let the show be more dramatic, more violent, more sexual. I feel like the true nature of Flemings books is lost in the films because they have to be too PG to catch a big audience. On HBO, or Netflix, they wouldn't have to pander in the same way as they do at the box office.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2015 Posts: 15,423
    Dominic Cooper? No, please no. Cast someone masculine in the role, and very English. For all I know, Toby Stephens has been doing some radio dramas for the Bond novels for sometime, and has the ability to steal scenes while on screen, would be brilliant if we have him in board once EON is pitched about this idea.

...or even better if we could get Jason Isaacs.
    Toby Stephens.........not handsome enough???
    Jason Isaacs..........too old and bald??????
    If only John Hamm were English......he has the perfect look for the Fleming novel's Bond.
    Hamm looks too American, and just because he's dressed in a sixties fashion of clothing doesn't mean he looks English and exactly an equivalent of Bond's. He's more like an old EuroSpy-type American agent, not Bond.

As for Stephens, we certainly have different perspectives on that. "That unjustified swagger"? ;)
    In FRWL the book Bond is described as "Looking like an American Movie star" by Tatianna? Remember (although he was actually English) Carey Grant was considered for Dr No (and he 'looked American').
    Because Fleming wanted someone 'suave' for the role. And Cary Grant never resembled Bond, nor, at least as I felt, had the threatening look. He would be more like a John Steed type secret agent rather than Bond. And of course, that's Tatiana saying, a Soviet Russian girl who spent her whole life behind the iron curtains.
    How does 'gingery' and mostly smarmy Toby Stephens embody Fleming's Bond though?
    He doesn't. Fassbender is also ginger, or sometimes, blond. But, that never stopped people from wanting him in the role. Am I correct? But they're both suave and very English.

And if I were to add, does Dominic Cooper resemble Ian Fleming? Never stopped him from winning the role.
    Fassbender is dark blonde, suave, english and masculine. Toby Stephens is ginger, smarmy (not suave) and English (yes).....but in a pompus steriotypically aristocratic way.....too much of a 'wimpy toff'!
    Dominic Cooper is a good actor. But yes, far too handsome to be Fleming really. I still maintain he would be good as Bond....he only con is he maybe too short.
    Wimpy? That's strange. I never seemed to notice or feel anything like that. The way I see him is like that self-confident man who's full of himself. It's sometimes the way I see Bond.