Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• Cracked always have shit on Dalton. It's always disappointed me for how much I otherwise enjoy the site.

They could at least do the decent thing and pick on the Lazenator instead.

George Lazenby, while not everyone's favorite Bond, did a good enough job of the Fleming character and doesn't deserve ridicule. Only one appearance for the australian, but it was a more than adequate job of things. No James Bond deserves castigation, other than for one or two titles from one or two of their respective tenures. I.E. Connery DAF, Moore AVTAK, Brosnan TND etc. As standalone individuals they all did a fine job of bringing the Fleming character to the big screen - Lazenby with it
    Heres one. I dont like Goldfinger theme song by Sheirly Bassy. Every time I hear the song it hurts my ears. IDK why so many people thought she was good. She is not IMO
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I didn't like Goldfinger theme either. but I did like the DAF and Moonraker themes better.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    chrisisall wrote:
    Here's one: Enter The Dragon is better than Dr. No.

Completely agree. Enter The Dragon is one of the best martial arts films ever made while Dr No I think is one of the weaker Bond films (bores me to death).
    Murdock wrote:
    I didn't like Goldfinger theme either. but I did like the DAF and Moonraker themes better.

Yea those were good. She toned it down in those songs
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @fjdinardo Agree on GF. I've heard people say she was belting it out but to me it just sounds like she's screaming. Although to be fair I'm not really a fan of that kind of music in general.

DAF is the only Bassey theme I really like. MR is quite a boring song imo.
    fjdinardo wrote:
    Heres one. I dont like Goldfinger theme song by Sheirly Bassy. Every time I hear the song it hurts my ears. IDK why so many people thought she was good. She is not IMO

While she might not be your taste she sang with GF the essential and perhaps most wellknown Bondsong ever (so far!).
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote:
    fjdinardo wrote:

While she might not be your taste she sang with GF the essential and perhaps most wellknown Bondsong ever (so far!).

GF is my least favourite Bassey track. I think MR is underrated and DAF is the best Bond theme of all-time.
    SaintMark wrote:
    fjdinardo wrote:

Regardless of Bassey's performance, GF is a damn fine John Barry piece of music, one of his best, and regarded by the man himself as his best. Personally, I think Bassey kills it. To contemporary audiences, her singing may seem dated perhaps, but I think her performance perfectly embodies the brash and bold feeling of the film and the series as a whole.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2013 Posts: 9,117
    chrisisall wrote:

Completely agree. Enter The Dragon is one of the best martial arts films ever made while Dr No I think is one of the weaker Bond films (bores me to death).

Are you joking? DN keeps on getting better with age and in recent years I've found myself liking it more each time I watch it (maybe something to do with the lusciousness of the bluray).

Enter The Dragon is thin on plot and way thinner on even mildly convincing acting. Ok having Bruce Lee looking uber cool and kicking ass is great fun but I need more to make a film than that.

Although if we're having a cool face off Sean lighting up at the card table in DN is unmatchable. The only thing to rival it is Brozza casually flicking his head out the way of an explosion in GE.

As for GF - well the opening bars are staggeringly good but the rest of the song leaves me a bit 'meh'.
  • chrisisall wrote:

Are you joking? DN keeps on getting better with age and in recent years I've found myself liking it more each time I watch it (maybe something to do with the lusciousness of the bluray).

Enter The Dragon is thin on plot and way thinner on even mildly convincing acting. Ok having Bruce Lee looking uber cool and kicking ass is great fun but I need more to make a film than that.

Although if we're having a cool face off Sean lighting up at the card table in DN is unmatchable. The only thing to rival it is Brozza casually flicking his head out the way of an explosion in GE.

I thought you were going to say Brozza casually punching a guy on the toilet for sure.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Are you joking? DN keeps on getting better with age and in recent years I've found myself liking it more each time I watch it
    Me too. I absolutely LOVE it. Which tells you how much I like Enter The Dragon....
    ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Although if we're having a cool face off Sean lighting up at the card table in DN is unmatchable.

This!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Dragonpol wrote:
    has more fun with the proceedings in DAF and has a more lived-in look about him!

Like Jabba the Hutt!

• Regarding DN, I actually prefer it to FRWL.
    The Hildebrand Rarity is a cool title
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Although i adore Flemings work and the other "serious" films in the series, my opinion of TLD has changed enormous during the last couple of months.
    I just can't get to it anymore, it's something that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

TLD is at #15
  • Pierce Brosnan gives his best performance in Die Another Day and the first hour is some of the best in the entire franchise.

The last 1/3 - 1/2 of the movie get stupid and silly and way OTT but it's still enjoyable enough if you check your brain at the door.
    Pierce Brosnan gives his best performance in Die Another Day and the first hour is some of the best in the entire franchise.

The last 1/3 - 1/2 of the movie get stupid and silly and way OTT but it's still enjoyable enough if you check your brain at the door.

Talking of checking brains at the door....
  • Pierce Brosnan gives his best performance in Die Another Day and the first hour is some of the best in the entire franchise.

Agree that it's Brosnans best performance, he's really good in it. I do enjoy the first hour or so, love the PTS especially, but not sure about some of the best moments in the franchise.

This I disagree with. I can't enjoy the Iceland stuff at all because it's just so crap imo. Although the tsunami surfing can be enjoyable in a so bad it's funny way.
    Pierce Brosnan gives his best performance in Die Another Day and the first hour is some of the best in the entire franchise.

Pierce was indeed his most comfortable in DAD in the role, he took all the craziness in his stride. That is why it is such a shame that he did not get his FYEO....

The invisible car is kinda funny and is used in such a way, the carchase on the ice is quite good actually. The son confronting and killing his father is actually quite gruesome but not very well done, could have used better scripting and the final act is just too OTT even if the fight between the gals is quite good.

DAD like QoS had some right ideas but could have used a decent scriptwriter that would have given the story some quality and seriniousness, and in the latters part an editor of some substance.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's never a point in a film's favor if you are required to switch your brain off as you watch it. It's almost like the film is insulting your intelligence.
  • It's never a point in a film's favor if you are required to switch your brain off as you watch it. It's almost like the film is insulting your intelligence.

Just so. And that's exactly what DAD does.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    SaintMark wrote:

The invisible car is kinda funny

Absolutely. Just like when a doctor says 'You have terminal pancreatic cancer' is 'kinda' funny.
  • Cracked always have shit on Dalton. It's always disappointed me for how much I otherwise enjoy the site.

I hate reading James Bond stuff on Cracked.com because they're always so wrong about it. They hate Dalton, they think TWINE is worse than DAD, they think the code name theory is brilliant and just the other day they slagged off OHMSS for being forgettable of all things (Bond gets married FFS, how could you forget that?!).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Cracked always have shit on Dalton. It's always disappointed me for how much I otherwise enjoy the site.

I hate reading James Bond stuff on Cracked.com because they're always so wrong about it. They hate Dalton, they think TWINE is worse than DAD, they think the code name theory is brilliant and just the other day they slagged off OHMSS for being forgettable of all things (Bond gets married FFS, how could you forget that?!).

I saw some Cracked article one time, and I think it talked about movies where the hero has killed innocent people or something. Anyway, it pointed out how 007 shot the construction worker during the parkour scene in CR, and when he fell, the tanks exploded, killing others or something. Not only did the explosion not affect anyone else, but he wasn't shot - he was kicked - by Mollaka - not Bond. They were completely clueless on it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Cracked always have shit on Dalton. It's always disappointed me for how much I otherwise enjoy the site.

I saw some Cracked article one time, and I think it talked about movies where the hero has killed innocent people or something. Anyway, it pointed out how 007 shot the construction worker during the parkour scene in CR, and when he fell, the tanks exploded, killing others or something. Not only did the explosion not affect anyone else, but he wasn't shot - he was kicked - by Mollaka - not Bond. They were completely clueless on it.

They do that kind of stuff with Batman and Indy too. Articles that say "Batman and/or Superman are the worst heroes ever" or "Indy is the worst archaeologist ever."

I have enjoyed a lot of articles, but sometimes I think they post controversial things just to be controversial, and their logic at times can be flawed.
    I only like after hours which is a cracked video series and then only for the cute nerdy girl

As for 007 controversial Opinions Moore Connery and Brosnan did one too many bond films where Lazenby Dalton did one to few.
    TWINE is Brosnans best performance nothing else comes close IMO
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    I wonder if a younger Moore and a younger Lois might have had some more chemistry, say in the 60s.
    Judge for yourself !