Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

One of the great Holy Grails of Bondage in the Moonraker film script Fleming wrote for the Rank organization back in the 50s. Is it still around, lost somewhere in the Rank archives (wherever the hell those are)?
  • I wish John Terry had returned to play Felix Leiter in LTK.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    peter wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Talos is my age. Wouldn't know it to look at us.

yes, obvious this guy is a beast.

But @Birdleson , you are just as sexy a beast in your own way-- can @talos7 play the guitar??? If he can, not as well as you. At least, not from where I'm standing.

Lol! I have absolutely no musical ability , and envy those who do.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Revelator wrote: »
    One of the great Holy Grails of Bondage in the Moonraker film script Fleming wrote for the Rank organization back in the 50s. Is it still around, lost somewhere in the Rank archives (wherever the hell those are)?

How do we find those? There's a making-of-MR book in here somewhere.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Mack_Bolan wrote: »
    I wish John Terry had returned to play Felix Leiter in LTK.

Only with a script where he loses more then just his arm......

he;s the worst Leiter in Bond-history.

definately controversial though :-)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I actually had to look him up, now that you are discussing him. I understand he played the part in TLD. Not that I remember any of it.
    I appreciate the John Terry love here. It's pretty funny.
    In my controversial opinion, I think they should go back to casting a radically different Felix Leiter for his every appearance. They should follow up Jeffrey Wright with someone who looks too old for the role like Cec Linder.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    In my controversial opinion, I think they should go back to casting a radically different Felix Leiter for his every appearance. They should follow up Jeffrey Wright with someone who looks too old for the role like Cec Linder.
    I like this idea. It's fun getting a new Felix for each of the classic films, even if some of the actors left something to be desired.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I like this idea. It's fun getting a new Felix for each of the classic films, even if some of the actors left something to be desired.

I actually like all the Leiters, but find it entertaining how each can be so different from one another. Rik Van Nutter to Norman Burton.
    I always thought someone like Matthew Mcconaughey would have been close to the Felix from the novels, and a good for for Craig as they're close to the same age.

I actually like all the Leiters, but find it entertaining how each can be so different from one another. Rik Van Nutter to Norman Burton.
    I always thought someone like Matthew Mcconaughey would have been close to the Felix from the novels, and a good for for Craig as they're close to the same age.
    He would definitely be great, I agree.

My favourites are Jack Lord, Bernie Casey, David Hedison and Wright. Hedison in particular was suitable for Roger Moore's Bond (they seemed to be on the same wavelength) and Lord was suitable for young Connery.

He would definitely be great, I agree.

My favourites are Jack Lord, Bernie Casey, David Hedison and Wright. Hedison in particular was suitable for Roger Moore's Bond (they seemed to be on the same wavelength) and Lord was suitable for young Connery.

My favorites are probably Jack Lord, Bernie Casey and David Hedison. I've grown to like Norman Burton recently, though. Wright is great as well. If he were to come back I'd be thrilled, really.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I actually really like Van Nutter as well as Lord and Hedison. He physically resembled Felix in the books too.
    Since we're talking of Felix Leiter I'd say that when David Hedison was recast as Leiter in LTK he was miscast. By then he was simply far too old.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    John Terry is far from the best Leiter, but at the same time, he was a vast improvement on Norman Burton.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I like all the Leiters apart from John Terry.
    Hopefully not too controversial opinion: there has never been a really good Felix Leiter on film.
    Fleming's Leiter was an ebullient, goodlooking Texan whose good-cheer and downhome quality were meant to contrast with Bond's occasional melancholy and sardonic nature.

But on film Leiter has mostly been ugly, dull, ugly and dull, or handsome and dull. Occasionally he has been decent-looking and competent, but none of the actors has given the impression of being one of Bond's closest friends.
    I'll half agree too, but thinks it may be due to making Leiter stand out less. So the focus could be on Bond.
    Here's some controversy:
    I love Jeffrey Wright, but I don't like him as Felix. Although I would like to see him back for another one with Craig. Same sentiment about Craig, actually. I do like him a lot. Brilliant actor. But not my Bond. Although I'm happy he's in for another one, and I do think his tenure is one of the best, probably the second best. Lord was the best Felix. Connery the best Bond. So far.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    It puzzles me why I’m in such the minority on this one, particularly as I am far more critical of the film as a whole than most on here (Pretty much love the first half, even a little beyond, then...), but I think that Kosov and Whittaker are great; both alone and in tandem.

I think they're underrated myself.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,721
    It puzzles me why I’m in such the minority on this one, particularly as I am far more critical of the film as a whole than most on here (Pretty much love the first half, even a little beyond, then...), but I think that Kosov and Whittaker are great; both alone and in tandem.

I think Koskov in particular is excellent. I love his interactions with Dalton's Bond and the way Krabbe plays the character who in turn is playing a character. His theatrics when he's trying to convince Mi6 or the way he gloats with Whittaker and Necros when he says "I told you they'd believe me! I told you!' And the way he keeps trying to scheme until the final scene when Pushkin finally captures him. It's one of my favourite fun performances in the series and something I look forward to every time I sit down to watch TLD.
    I think Koskov is excellently cast, but very poorly written and Whittaker very badly cast.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    What was wrong with Whittaker?
    Nothing, in my mind. I thought Joe Don Baker was perfect.
    My thoughts exactly.

I can get the disdain for Koskov, which parallels my sentiments, but Whittaker was alright.
    I don't mind either Koskov or Whittaker. TLD would be a lesser film without them.
    I used to feel DAYLIGHTS had the weakest group of villains, but after the likes of Renard or Greene, Koskov is quite in-formidable.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 13,894
    Whittaker was the better of the two. His hobby (if that's the right word) of recreating historic battles the way he would have fought them, is something I could imgine Fleming coming up with. Whereas Koskov was a slippery little runt. But I don't see his lack of an outwardly villainous manner a bad thing. He is a different Bond villain. Not all them them need to be Sanchez or Scaramanga. The occasional runt adds to the variety of the Rogues Gallery of Bond villains.

Baker was just a loud mouth bully. I never felt the menace. Koskov was poorly written, otherwise he would have been great. Krabbe had what it takes to play Blofeld.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Baker was just a loud mouth bully. I never felt the menace. Koskov was poorly written, otherwise he would have been great. Krabbe had what it takes to play Blofeld.
    That's what Whittaker was, though. Even his background suggested exactly that, which fit his personality.

I agree about Krabbe being a great actor and a possible fit for Blofeld in the Dalton era. But, Koskov was ridiculously bad. They should've made him something akin to Kronsteen, considering he was mentoring Necros under his wing, it would've been very fitting. Instead, they made him a clown.
    As a Dalton fan, I loved all the villains in TLD, and Baker was great as Whitaker...certainly better than that awful Jack Wade character!
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I enjoy Krabbe as Koskov even though he is a bit of a buffoon. He has style.

I'm not a fan of Don Baker's Whittaker though. He's just a buffoon without any of the style.

Neither really suit a Dalton film imho and that's why they seem a bit out of place to me. The villains in LTK are more up Tim's alley.