Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The 90s come right after the 60s, for me. Then, the rest.

As Bond films overall, the 90s replicate and modernize what the Bond films have always been about.

As Bond films overall, the 90s replicate and modernize what the Bond films have always been about.

They're a fun ride, that's for sure!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Precisely. This is what makes them so wonderful and it’s what we need again. Don’t subvert the formula, simply modernize it.
    Here's a controversial opinion for this forum.......................

I think Connery himself had the coolest gun-barrel sequence, especially when rendered in black and white.

I really like the way it's presented in YOLT and DAF. I also love that he uses his left arm to balance himself.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited November 2018 Posts: 6,733
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I think Connery himself had the coolest gun-barrel sequence, especially when rendered in black and white.

I really like the way it's presented in YOLT and DAF. I also love that he uses his left arm to balance himself.

You know, I think I agree with you. And the sequence does look better in B&W.

His pose is very cool.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

You know, I think I agree with you. And the sequence does look better in B&W.

His pose is very cool.

It seems many dislike his little stumble, but it never bothered me. I love the hat as well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I love the hat. Love the music. Love the gun-barrel. Love any colour. Hate the Connery-wobble. Best Bond, yes. Worst gun-barrel, yes.

I still think Tim's is the best.

Both of Moore's I like.

Lazenby's-- different, but, yes.

Some of Craig's- although he better nail his definitive one in 25, or so help me god...

I think Pierce looked like he had something up his arse, too stiff.

And finally Connery's in last place.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    peter wrote: »
    I love the hat. Love the music. Love the gun-barrel. Love any colour. Hate the Connery-wobble. Best Bond, yes. Worst gun-barrel, yes.

Both of Moore's I like.

Some of Craig's- although he better nail his definitive one in 25, or so help me god...

I can definitely agree on Dalton, Moore, Lazenby, and Craig. I like Brosnan's although he was a little stiff.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I like Connery’s too, but Dalton and Lazenby I think were the best. Brosnan is tied with Connery at place 3. Moore follows in 4th position and Craig comes in last.
    I have never really made an effort to pick my favourite gunbarrels, but looking through them all right now, I think Moore's are my favorite. Always liked his signature move of using both his hands when firing the gun.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have never really made an effort to pick my favourite gunbarrels, but looking through them all right now, I think Moore's are my favorite. Always liked his signature move of using both his hands when firing the gun.
    I've always liked Moore's move too. I'm a huge fan of Brosnan's GB as well. Very confident stride and a fluid turn and shoot.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited November 2018 Posts: 45,489
    In general:

1 Connery
    2 Moore
    3 Lazenby
    4 Dalton
    5 Craig
    6 Brosnan

Simmons above Moore, but below Connery.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've always liked Moore's move too. I'm a huge fan of Brosnan's GB as well. Very confident stride and a fluid turn and shoot.

Agree on Brosnan. He seemed very cool in his gunbarrels. I have a soft spot for the effects used in his gunbarrels too, with the exception of the bullet in DAD.
    Controversial opinion: I like the CGI bullet from DAD.
    peter wrote: »

Both of Moore's I like.

We are of the exact same mind on Dalton and Brosnan. Been saying this for years. Dalton's is just so confident and cool. Bros better be aiming for a head shot or a basketball player with the gun leveled where it is. I hate the stiffness of it.

Craig's are the most awkward. Zero elegance in his, like let's just get it over with.

Laz means business.

Moore's second is painfully slow. Any assassin not avoiding the slow, by-the-numbers draw here deserves what he gets.

So do I @ClarkDevlin. So do I. Always thought it was a fun one time thing.
    Remington wrote: »
    So do I @ClarkDevlin. So do I. Always thought it was a fun one time thing.
    Exactly that, @Remington. A fun one time thing as it was always intended to be.
    This might be controversial. I actually like that QOS ends with the gunbarrel. Again, as a one time thing, symbolizing closure. Part of me would have preferred it at the beginning though.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    With Quantum of Solace, looking back it would be nice to have the gunbsrrel both open and close the film.

For Die Another Day, I'm okay with it and want to note the bullet down the gunbarrel first appears in the GoldenEye main titles. So Kleinman was actually reusing it. Agree, once to open the film is enough.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DAD has the absolutely worst gb imo, with YOLT at the top of the pile.
    For me, the worst is SF. Craig walks like he's trying to make it easier on the shooter and the design is atrocious.

The bests are YOLT, OHMSS, FYEO, LTK, and GE.
    Talking of gunbarrel, one of my favourite is the one in CR. I wish they had followed the trend to all the Craig era, with one integral to the PTS.
    1. Connery
    2. Simmons
    3. Moore #2
    4. Dalton
    5. Moore #1
    6. Lazenby
    7. Brosnan
    9. Craig CR
    10. Craig SP

11. Craig QoS

12. Craig SF
    1. Connery
    2. Moore #1
    3. Dalton
    4. Brosnan
    5. Simmons
    6. Moore #2
    7. Lazenby
    8. Craig #4
    9. Craig #2
    10. Craig #1
    (underneath thousands of layers of asphalt)
    11. Craig #3
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 15,818
    Brosnan's GB would be higher for me if the flow of the blood weren't so fast as to prevent the Bond theme melody being presented in it's full glory. Hence get the complete re-arrangement in TND and TWINE, and a truncated version in DAD.
    In the Craig films the blood plops down like bird dumpings.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Talking about "controversial", I'm always amazed that people can actually have discussions about the gunbarrel. The only details I remember off-hand are that "Bond" wore a hat in the early ones and that DAD had that bullet, and the latter only because fans got so worked up about it at the time. I have never been interested in ranking those scenes, and find them only relevant as a kind of trade mark, but no more. For me, it's akin to deciding which of the 24 Mercedes cars in the parking lot has the shiniest three-pointed star. Futile, actually. I don't care.

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Talking about "controversial", I'm always amazed that people can actually have discussions about the gunbarrel. The only details I remember off-hand are that "Bond" wore a hat in the early ones and that DAD had that bullet, and the latter only because fans got so worked up about it at the time. I have never been interested in ranking those scenes, and find them only relevant as a kind of trade mark, but no more. For me, it's akin to deciding which of the 24 Mercedes cars in the parking lot has the shiniest three-pointed star. Futile, actually. I don't care.

I'd pretty much agree with that. Although the DAD gunbarrel truly sucks.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Not controversial what about the actual gunbarrel music?

Hands down my favorite is Thunderball
    Least favorite probably LTK and TWINE.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Not controversial what about the actual gunbarrel music?

Hands down my favorite is Thunderball
    Least favorite probably LTK and TWINE.
    LTK is actually one of my faves. I also like LALD, FYEO, TSWLM and GE. To be frank, I prefer nearly all the 'one off's' interpretations of the GB music to Barry's take on it. I'm sure that's controversial.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Barrys are the best. However as much as I hate Bill Contis FYEO score, the gunbarrel score is top notch. Ive never been a fan of the gunbarrel music without the musical pumps. TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWINE