Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Why are people complaining about the SPECTRE trailer? The people who make these are third party editors who only get an outline of the story and maybe told to use certain money shots. The music is left entirely up to them and if they wanted to thread in some OHMSS then so what? They gave the people what they wanted (to hear) and it worked.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,801
    Why are people complaining about the SPECTRE trailer? The people who make these are third party editors who only get an outline of the story and maybe told to use certain money shots. The music is left entirely up to them and if they wanted to thread in some OHMSS then so what? They gave the people what they wanted (to hear) and it worked.

The trailer is better than the movie. I liked the inclusion of the OHMSS theme.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Controversial opinion- Diamonds Are Forever is the best Bond song. Followed by Goldfinger, and Living Daylights. TND K.D. Lang end credit version would be #2 for me if it was used up front. But my absolute favourite ever is this version of SPECTRE's Sam Smith song-

God this girl is a gift that needs to keep on giving....
    So shoot at me now. ;)

Some people should stick to composing, like Eric Serra and Sam Smith. If only Sam had given his song to someone like this, it would have made it 100x better.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2018 Posts: 9,117

I'm not having that at all. Why with every other Bond trailer do we just get a generic rehash of the Bond theme but suddenly we get this awesome music out of the blue? They wouldn't just use it by chance. Apart from anything else it was a fresh arrangement which somebody would have had to record and even though by that stage the budget was so far out of control no one would notice, you would think somebody would have to sign off on it somewhere.

It was entirely deliberate by EON and Mendes, I daresay it probably stems from a time when they still had the 'We have all the time in the world' at the end still there. I think Mendes went in with the intention of making a rival to OHMSS with the Blofeld stuff, falling in love with the daughter of a criminal, the mountaintop scenes but obviously it all just imploded.
    Controversial opinion- Diamonds Are Forever is the best Bond song.
    It does get better with age to be fair. YOLT another one I thought was fairly meh when I was younger but which I think is fantastic now.
    God this girl is a gift that needs to keep on giving....
    So shoot at me now. ;)
    I trust you are talking about her singing ability Sir?

I'm not having that at all. Why with every other Bond trailer do we just get a generic rehash of the Bond theme but suddenly we get this awesome music out of the blue? They wouldn't just use it by chance. Apart from anything else it was a fresh arrangement which somebody would have had to record and even though by that stage the budget was so far out of control no one would notice, you would think somebody would have to sign off on it somewhere.

It was entirely deliberate by EON and Mendes, I daresay it probably stems from a time when they still had the 'We have all the time in the world' at the end still there. I think Mendes went in with the intention of making a rival to OHMSS with the Blofeld stuff, falling in love with the daughter of a criminal, the mountaintop scenes but obviously it all just imploded.

Maybe we got the OHMSS theme because they were... dare I say it... smart? And it was probably just a remix, which wouldn't cost more than the regular Bond theme. I'm pretty sure that the editors are entitled to using a plethora of Bond music and they happened to take OHMSS because they were lead to believe it was a good match for SP. If anything, they were mislead as much as we were. Why do you think that they dropped it from subsequent teasers/trailers, huh?

No. As I said it has little to nothing to do with Mendes or EON. I don't even know if they would've seen it before it was released online.

Maybe we got the OHMSS theme because they were... dare I say it... smart? And it was probably just a remix, which wouldn't cost more than the regular Bond theme. I'm pretty sure that the editors are entitled to using a plethora of Bond music and they happened to take OHMSS because they were lead to believe it was a good match for SP. If anything, they were mislead as much as we were. Why do you think that they dropped it from subsequent teasers/trailers, huh?

No. As I said it has little to nothing to do with Mendes or EON. I don't even know if they would've seen it before it was released online.

There are other people who know more about the film making process than me but I find the idea that this iconic music was used completely by chance without the producers or director even being aware rather far fetched.
    There only had to be one casual Bond fan in the editing room that saw a parallel between SP and OHMSS to decide to use that particular music. I don't see how it's far-fetched.
    There only had to be one casual Bond fan in the editing room that saw a parallel between SP and OHMSS to decide to use that particular music. I don't see how it's far-fetched.

I find it far fetched that the producers and director abrogate all responsibility for the contents of the trailer. As I say I don't know much about how these things are done and perhaps you do but what's to stop the guy making the trailer including the 'My little brother' line if he's got no one overseeing what he does?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    edited March 2018 Posts: 6,769

I find it far fetched that the producers and director abrogate all responsibility for the contents of the trailer. As I say I don't know much about how these things are done and perhaps you do but what's to stop the guy making the trailer including the 'My little brother' line if he's got no one overseeing what he does?
    Who says they are on their own? Maybe they came up with the idea of using the OHMSS music on the trailer and then it got reviewed and approved by the producers and director, along with everything else on the trailer.

EON's only responsibility would be deciding which firm/team is the most competent at making great trailers. The rest they leave to them.

It's my understanding that if the filmmakers don't want certain lines or footage to appear in the trailers, then they just don't hand it to the guys making the trailer/teaser. Conversely, everything they do hand over is allowed. So problems like that don't really happen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    mattjoes wrote: »

Who says they are on their own? Maybe they came up with the idea of using the OHMSS music on the trailer and then it got reviewed and approved by the producers and director, along with everything else on the trailer.
    I would like to point out that it wasn't just the OHMSS theme. There is the iconic bullet through glass scene as well.

Moreover, as I mentioned when the trailer was released, there is a very distinctive xylophone style sound which plays right at the end when Blofeld says "Welcome James" which reminds me very much of Nina van Pallandt's Do They Know Where Christmas Trees Are Grown. I'm sure this was all quite deliberate.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    EoN would have had to sign-off on the trailer. And yes, too many references to OHMSS to be coincidence.
    bondjames wrote: »

I would like to point out that it wasn't just the OHMSS theme. There is the iconic bullet through glass scene as well.

Moreover, as I mentioned when the trailer was released, there is a very distinctive xylophone style sound which plays right at the end when Blofeld says "Welcome James" which reminds me very much of Nina van Pallandt's Do They Know Where Christmas Trees Are Grown. I'm sure this was all quite deliberate.

Deliberate but nothing to do with EON or Mendes apparently. Just a Bond knowledgeable trailer guy.

We should be tapping this genius up to direct then as he's clearly got a better idea than Babs and Sam.

That's perfectly feasible. I was refuting this statement:
    [
    it has little to nothing to do with Mendes or EON. I don't even know if they would've seen it before it was released online.
    I know they're clueless but the notion that the first they saw of the trailer was release day like the rest of us is frankly ludicrous.

I thought it was more influenced by Eyes Wide Shut.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »

Oh that influence was definitely there too. If I'm not mistaken, the SP operatives at Blofeld's meeting were supposed to wear masks initially.

Oh that influence was definitely there too. If I'm not mistaken, the SP operatives at Blofeld's meeting were supposed to wear masks initially.

The whole movie is filled with Kubrick's influence.
    I always felt the OHMSS references in the trailer were deliberate and the film was most certainly intended to be the OHMSS of the modern era, without being an outright remake.

I don't mind returning to a style or tone occasionally. FYEO feels more in line with FRWL and OHMSS to me than SP, for instance. Lack of a Barry score aside, it works, IMO.

In the spectre script, the last line is bond saying to Swann, "we have all the time In the world".
    In the spectre script, the last line is bond saying to Swann, "we have all the time In the world".

Thank some deity that Craig or Mendes recognized that this ending could never match OHMSS and that they were never getting a decent ending. So they decided they would not steal.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2018 Posts: 10,512
    It was the sound editor on the trailer who suggested using OHMSS. It wasn’t EON or Mendes. It was floated in the edit and Barbara bought it. That’s not to say the parallels were lost on them, but it wasn’t as deliberate as one might think. After all, any trailer is going to sound a hell of a lot better with a slither of that score.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    RC7 wrote: »
    It was the sound editor on the trailer who suggested using OHMSS. It wasn’t EON or Mendes. It was floated in the edit and Barbara bought it. That’s not to say the parallels were lost on them, but it wasn’t as deliberate as one might think. After all, any trailer is going to sound a hell of a lot better with a slither of that score.

Thanks @RC7. That's some very cool info for us. Thank you...!!

I'm assuming that EoN has to sign off on anything Bond related (working with distributors on advertising and trailers and so on).

One of the artists of the trailer pitched the OHMSS music, but, a question to you, and obviously as someone in the industry, BUT not someone ANSWERING for EoN, why do you think they agreed to this OHMSS-heavy trailer?

When we look at one of the leaked scripts, they have Bond falling in love with a gangster's daughter; the re-introduction of Blofeld, and the last line of Bond to Madeleine: "We Have All the Time In the World."...

Don't you think that the sound editor knew the tone of what they were going for was a "re-imagining" of OHMSS, and that's why we hear bits of Barry's amazing score?

Also, at the end of the trailer, we have a similar image to OHMSS's end: the bullet-shattering-glass (that revealed Tracy's murder). In the trailer it seems to tease that tragedy will, in some way, play out as well, with the octopus imagery foreshadowing Spectre.

Was SP supposed to be a re-imagined OHMSS, and that is why we got a heavy OHMSS trailer?

I won't lie: watching the trailers, that's what I thought we were getting, and that's what made me very excited.

That is also what my 16 year old son was also expecting, from the trailers, and now feels betrayed by this advertising (he fell asleep in SP)...
    peter wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

Thanks @RC7. That's some very cool info for us. Thank you...!!

I'm assuming that EoN has to sign off on anything Bond related (working with distributors on advertising and trailers and so on).

One of the artists of the trailer pitched the OHMSS music, but, a question to you, and obviously as someone in the industry, BUT not someone ANSWERING for EoN, why do you think they agreed to this OHMSS-heavy trailer?

When we look at one of the leaked scripts, they have Bond falling in love with a gangster's daughter; the re-introduction of Blofeld, and the last line of Bond to Madeleine: "We Have All the Time In the World."...

Don't you think that the sound editor knew the tone of what they were going for was a "re-imagining" of OHMSS, and that's why we hear bits of Barry's amazing score?

Also, at the end of the trailer, we have a similar image to OHMSS's end: the bullet-shattering-glass (that revealed Tracy's murder). In the trailer it seems to tease that tragedy will, in some way, play out as well, with the octopus imagery foreshadowing Spectre.

Was SP supposed to be a re-imagined OHMSS, and that is why we got a heavy OHMSS trailer?

I won't lie: watching the trailers, that's what I thought we were getting, and that's what made me very excited.

That is also what my 16 year old son was also expecting, from the trailers, and now feels betrayed by this advertising (he fell asleep in SP)...

Quite.

The 'we have all the time in the world line', the glasss, the SPECTRE/Bond falling in 'love' stuff, the snowy mountaintop location it's clear what they were trying to channel.

But it's a trailer guy who does the best job of putting it together and they go 'Oh yeah that's quite neat actually. We hadn't thought of that.'

I realise they dropped the ball but not to the point where junior employees are more clued up than EON or the directors.

I salute you trailer guy - the only person, along with Fiennes, to come out of SP with any credit. But I guess that's the job - trying to sell whatever rubbish your client cobbles together.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I was expecting a soft OHMSS remake myself. I was even expecting to hear the soundtrack somewhere in the film. Once the "New Bond film high" wore off is when I realized how disappointing it was. Both trailers built up something that didn't exist.
    I find the use of Blofeld's cat in SP the best use of his pet since FRWL.
    I really like the scene in DAF.
    I really like the scene in DAF.
    Definitely. Great scene. I also liked the one in FYEO when Bond regains control of the helicopter.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Charles Gray nailed the comedic Blofeld.

He certainly was the most charismatic Blofeld. For each viewing of DAF he's getting closer to equal Savalas, in fact. It's just the way Gray and Connery suited each other, that makes DAF so enjoyable.
    I find the use of Blofeld's cat in SP the best use of his pet since FRWL.

I love the use of the cat in SP; it’s one of the film’s best touches easily. I like the cat in all the films, but particularly FRWL, YOLT, FYEO, and SP.

He certainly was the most charismatic Blofeld. For each viewing of DAF he's getting closer to equal Savalas, in fact. It's just the way Gray and Connery suited each other, that makes DAF so enjoyable.

Gray is a terrific Blofeld.