Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

GoldenGun wrote: »
    I don’t think the latest entry is more vulnerable towards criticism. On the contrary, look at how DAD was received back in the day and look at how it is considered as one of the worst today.

Or look at how the latest actor is always considered as the best since Sean, until the next guy comes along. If anything people tend to be more forgiving towards what is new.

Furthermore, SP will always be the one where they turned Blofeld into Bond’s stepbrother.

What a bad legacy to have !

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote: »
    How can such a brilliant British franchise never had a Queen title song?

Would have been as bad as Sam Smith.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    bondjames wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Blofeld should have been left in the '60s. Controversial?

John Glen knew how to build an action sequence like no other director.

It's not controversial if it's true.

Quite.
    Minion wrote: »
    The London finale in Spectre was fine. Hardly the catastrophic failure some people make it out to be.

There you go @echo that's how you do controversial. Well not so much controversial as just plain wrong.

Scooby gang in full flow, a villains plot no one cares about thwarted by Q tapping away at a computer, totally botching the girl dumping Bond scene from Fleming's MR, a nonsensical capturing of Bond and then needing him not captured otherwise all the hard work you put in printing out EON publicity shots and sticking them on the wall for him goes to waste, an irritating music cue nicked from SF and then played on a 7 second loop for about half an hour, Bond using the force to take down a helicopter with a tiny pistol, leaving Blofeld alive but not having him escape and on and on.

I think you had it about right with 'catastrophic failure'.

This ... +1
    +2

+3 couldn’t have said it better myself
    Connery is supposedly tough and yet is terrified by a harmless spider that isn't actually poisonous.

Connery is the most timid Bond ;)
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Connery is supposedly tough and yet is terrified by a harmless spider that isn't actually poisonous.

In movieverse the spider is deadly.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Dent is terrified of it too so I will cut it some slack.

But as others have pointed out it does seem quite a silly scene these days.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Dont forget FRWL when the blind closes with a noise in the train compartment he shits himself.

If I saw a giant spider emerge from under my bedcovers and walk up my shoulder I think I would shit myself as much as ConneryBond did !!

Is it a spider? I thought it was a tarantula.
  • DikkoHendersonDikkoHenderson Daniel Craig at the plastic surgery clinic- "Gently my friend Gently... THAT'S NOT BLOODY GENTLY!!"
    edited January 2018 Posts: 50
    He also seems very frightened while hiding under the float during the Junkanoo, in Thunderball- cuts back to his eyes several times and the John Barry sting that plays during these moments highlights the fear
    barryt007 wrote: »

If I saw a giant spider emerge from under my bedcovers and walk up my shoulder I think I would shit myself as much as ConneryBond did !!

Same here. Bond knew he was in serious danger and extremely vulnerable.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Speaking of DN, does anybody else think that secretary who gets a bullet in the beginning is a horrendous actress? I cringe whenever I see her overdoing it.
    Speaking of DN, does anybody else think that secretary who gets a bullet in the beginning is a horrendous actress? I cringe whenever I see her overdoing it.

For me DN does no wrong. Even its flaws are part of its charm.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,189
    Copied from Google:

Though all tarantulas are venomous and some bites cause serious discomfort that might persist for several days, so far no bite has been reported to cause a human fatality. In general, the effects of the bites of all kinds of tarantula are not well known.

I get that it was meant to be a deadly spider but, as people have previously pointed out, knowing the above kind of kills the suspense.

Bond doesn t know that. Had they gone with a centipede like in the book,people would complain that Bond is scared of worms.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,189
    Bond doesn t know that. Had they gone with a centipede like in the book,people would complain that Bond is scared of worms.

Good point. I suppose quite a lot of people are scared of spiders so it resonates with audiences.

I think she is ok.
    I've seen a lot worse in the series,yes,you Tania Mallett,are definitely one of them.

And to the general public a tarantula is deadly whereas a centipede is just a bit gross.

Just go with a cobra or something and then everybody's happy?

And to the general public a tarantula is deadly whereas a centipede is just a bit gross.

Just go with a cobra or something and then everybody's happy?

As a nervous MooreBond disposed off cleverly in LALD (although it wasn't a cobra of course.)

Or May Day. Would have been funny and understandable if Bond had beaten her to death with his shoe, when she enters his bed.

Dr No and Dent either. It's meant to be a deadly spider in movieverse.

Oh and Jaws is based on a false premise as well. I still enjoy the movie.

Would be great if Dent had the bottle to pipe up 'You do realise that the most that's going to do is give him is a nasty nip don't you Doc?'
  • DikkoHendersonDikkoHenderson Daniel Craig at the plastic surgery clinic- "Gently my friend Gently... THAT'S NOT BLOODY GENTLY!!"
    Or May Day. Would have been funny and understandable if Bond had beaten her to death with his shoe, when she enters his bed.

I think the film cut away just before MayDay could show Bond her "worm".

Would be great if Dent had the bottle to pipe up 'You do realise that the most that's going to do is give him is a nasty nip don't you Doc?'

To be fair in the novel Dr No overestimated the lethality of the crabs.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 19,339

Those sexual diseases should never be overestimated.

Well lets not forget he only took the title 'Dr' because doctors can ask questions without arousing suspicion.

The bloke might not even have finished school. Certainly he's not a Dr of zoology.

Well lets not forget he only took the title 'Dr' because doctors can ask questions without arousing suspicion.

The bloke might not even have finished school. Certainly he's not a Dr of zoology.

True he's not even a real doctor!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I don’t think the latest entry is more vulnerable towards criticism. On the contrary, look at how DAD was received back in the day and look at how it is considered as one of the worst today.

Or look at how the latest actor is always considered as the best since Sean, until the next guy comes along. If anything people tend to be more forgiving towards what is new.

Furthermore, SP will always be the one where they turned Blofeld into Bond’s stepbrother.

Technically that would mean Blofeld's father married Bond's mother, which is kind of hard to do after a deadly incident. The whole 'brother' angle is just an annoying sideshow which is taken too seriously. Can we call him 'fake brother' (with the risk of Trump claiming he thought of this first) from now on? at least that's technically correct.

Call him "acquaintance."
    Can we call him 'fake brother' (with the risk of Trump claiming he thought of this first)

What does Trump have to do with this?