Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    GBF wrote: »
    Well, I still find Brosnan really good in this two scenes. Just compare this to the scene in SP where Blofeld wants to show Madelein her father's suicide. Another negative example is the "Della" scene in LTK.
    Oh, I fully agree. Craig blew that scene as he did several others in SP, imho. Not what I expected from him. Dalton is renown for his emotionality (at least to me).
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,005
    I like Brosnan in TWINE in those scenes with Elektra.

To the end he hoped to sway Elektra to the good side. Watch the scene, Bond kills her as soon as it is clear she won't let go of her plans.
    Obviously he is emotional about it. The woman was a victim in the first place, doesn't justify her actions afterwards of course.

You can already see that he cares about her fate when he touches the screen of the computer in an early scene.
    Brosnanbond cares.

As for Paris Carver, if anything then it was the actress that is weak, certainly not Mr. Brosnan's acting in that scene. He gives her death a meaning.
    Again Brosnanbond cares.

And look how he kills Kaufmann. Brosnan is badassery galore.

And that what makes Brosnanbond so appealing.

Not very controversial, but all six Bond actors are great in their films.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Different strokes I guess. These scenes don't appeal to me, nor does the way he plays them. The computer screen touch was one that truly shocked me in the theatre. It is the writers and the producers who seem to insist on putting these sort of scenes into the films and they take me out of it each time. The aforementioned White death video scene in SP is particularly cringeworthy. Oh well, as long as we don't have another title song revealing Bond's inner heartache I suppose I can live with it.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,005
    Well, @bondjames we are in the controversy thread after all ;)

As for SP, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I almost had to close my eyes on that scene I was so ashamed for the film (producers).
    Pity, the set was fantastic! All of Waltz's minions following his orders like robots was a nice eerie touch as well.

I have to watch SP again before I can say more about it though.
    You can already see that he cares about her fate when he touches the screen of the computer in an early scene.
    Brosnanbond cares.
    Sorry, one of the most un-Bondlike scenes in the series, especially to that point. In light of his being duped the whole time and not realizing until it's too late makes it even worse. When I first saw TWINE I kept thinking about how none of the other Bonds would have fallen under Elktra's sway.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Brosnanbond cares.
    Sorry, one of the most un-Bondlike scenes in the series, especially to that point. In light of his being duped the whole time and not realizing until it's too late makes it even worse. When I first saw TWINE I kept thinking about how none of the other Bonds would have fallen under Elktra's sway.

Apart from Ian Fleming's James Bond that is, whose emotional reactions this scene ( and quite a few others in the movie )perfectly mirrors.
    jobo wrote: »
    Om the topic of funny villains i think Gobinda and Kamal Khan deserbe a mention. Not to forget the delightfully parodic and obnoxious general Orlov.

They are more menacing though.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I read a comment once about how Moore's Bond was the coldest because he was the only one who'd never laughed in his movies and had an utterly sociopathic sense of humour.
    Probably not even controversial (I know I say that a lot; do we have a thread for just general Bond opinions?), but Sandor in TSWLM is one of the worst, least memorable henchmen ever. Elvis takes the top prize though.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,269
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I really like Sandor.

No offense, but why? He’s so boring and is basically a tool to move to one scene.
    What's wrong with Elvis? ;) He is funny and has some rather hilarious scenes.
    I wouldn't call Elvis a henchman though, he is more like Greene's right hand....kind of a secretary or chief of staff.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Who even is sandor?
    Who even is sandor?

Exactly.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I think Sandor would've done better if we actually saw him interacting with Jaws. As it is, I agree he pretty much only serves to create a fight scene (and a terrible one at that) and the tie slap moment (which is admittedly a cool scene).
  • GBFGBF
    Well Sandor is more or less the prototype of henchmen that Craig's Bond faces. They also only exist to have one fight or chase scene. An exeption is Hinx.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I like Elvis as well,the way he gets all emotional at the Tosca opera is funny...he is just a weird little man who Greene finds useful.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Talking about controversial there, I think Elvis must be the most disliked character in the whole series. Can't say I liked him myself to be honest.

What I do like, and others usually don't, are the title sequences of the 80's. I like the 80's as an era and these title sequences are so typically eighties, from Sheena Easton's haircut, to the fluo paint in AVTAK and the photographic theme in LTK. Love them.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I quite like Sandor even though he's overshadowed by Jaws in TSWLM. He's quite vicious looking and the fight on the rooftops in Egypt is memorable for me. Not just because of the now famous (and since homaged) fall, but also because of the setting. I also like the fight, which gives Sir Rog an opportunity to showcase some new moves, and which is smartly not scored so we can take in all the sounds from the fight and from the street below.

I like Elvis too. He was in effect a male secretary and I've also read that he was related to Greene. The Tosca scene is indeed hilarious, especially the manner in which the other chap looks back at Elvis. I thought he was going to slap or punch him for the come hither stare.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Talking about controversial there, I think Elvis must be the most disliked character in the whole series.
    For me it has to be Bibi.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I quite like Sandor even though he's overshadowed by Jaws in TSWLM. He's quite vicious looking and the fight on the rooftops in Egypt is memorable for me. Not just because of the now famous (and since homaged) fall, but also because of the setting. I also like the fight, which gives Sir Rog an opportunity to showcase some new moves, and which is smartly not scored so we can take in all the sounds from the fight and from the street below.

I like Elvis too. He was in effect a male secretary and I've also read that he was related to Greene. The Tosca scene is indeed hilarious, especially the manner in which the other chap looks back at Elvis. I thought he was going to slap or punch him for the come hither stare.
    Talking about controversial there, I think Elvis must be the most disliked character in the whole series.

For me its Jack Wade!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    For me its Jack Wade!
    He's definitely up there too. A buffoon.

Ive seen that somewhere too,but I cant recall where.
    Its makes total sense.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,788
    For me its Jack Wade!
    In TND he's overdoing it, but I liked him GE.

Elvis, while hardly an overachiever, is more blend than he is annoying though.

Bibi might take that questionable trophy home. Other contenders are Tiffany, Rosie and Kinnear's Tanner.
    For me its Jack Wade!
    In TND he's overdoing it, but I liked him GE.

Elvis, while hardly an overachiever, is more blend than he is annoying though.

Bibi might take that questionable trophy home. Other contenders are Tiffany, Rosie and Kinnear's Tanner.
    I'm sure many would throw Mary Goodnight in that pile, although I really liked her character. Rosie would be close for me after Bibi as the most annoying in the series. She really grates.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    For me its Jack Wade!

+1.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I think Sandor would've done better if we actually saw him interacting with Jaws. As it is, I agree he pretty much only serves to create a fight scene (and a terrible one at that) and the tie slap moment (which is admittedly a cool scene).

At least he's taken from a Fleming character. Although Fleming had requested no elements from his original book be used, the novel features two thugs named Sol Horror and Sluggsy Morent. Horror is described as having steel-capped teeth, while Sluggsy had a clear bald head. These characters are the basis for the characters of Jaws and Sandor.

Wade on the other hand is an abomination and Leiter should have featured as he does in the novels.
    We all know which character I think is the ultimate pain in the arse .
    (Closely followed by Goodnight I must admit.)
  • GBFGBF
    Maybe we should make an elimination game about the most useless or disliked character in the franchise.
    Maybe we should make an elimination game about the most useless or disliked character in the franchise.

That would a hell of a long list !!

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Absolutely
    Controversy or not....guys!

...mentioning Goodnight or even Tiffany in that context makes my heart bleed!