Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

Can we call him 'fake brother' (with the risk of Trump claiming he thought of this first)

What does Trump have to do with this?

He inspired the sexist, misogynist dinosaur scene in GE.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Maybe it was a radioactive spider?
    Is it a spider? I thought it was a tarantula.

• With the Blofeld thing foster brother is probably most accurate right? But does it really matter? I see this commented a lot as a defense of it (he wasn't really his brother/stepbrother) but that's just semantics at the end of the day. Mendes said (paraphrasing) SF was a film about mothers/parents, SP was a film about brothers. Blofeld says Bond was "like a brother to him" and later says something like "that's brothers for you". Blood related or not, for the purpose of the story they're siblings.

The saving grace is that Bond doesn't seem bothered about it at all, he's indifferent and it's all on Blofeld's side, the film doesn't make a massive deal out of it. But I'd prefer it if they made that a bit clearer. Bond calling him insane and making it clear that the situation isn't what Blofeld is making out.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,778
    The tarantula scene still freaks me out every bloody time. Then again, spiders in general scare me to bits.

Return of the King was another treat on that account.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    The tarantula scene still freaks me out every bloody time. Then again, spiders in general scare me to bits.

Return of the King was another treat on that account.

Just for you
    10182-2203-11211-1-korak-son-of-tarzan.jpg
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,189
    Spiders? Pah, not scary.

Then again I suffer from Ornithophobia and hate THAT scene in Moonraker.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Spiders? Pah, not scary.

Wow, ornithophobia? That's a mouthful.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,189
    royale65 wrote: »
    Spiders? Pah, not scary.

Urgh!! That makes me sad
    royale65 wrote: »
    Spiders? Pah, not scary.

Urgh!! That makes me sad

To be honest, I felt dirty just typing the words out.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Spiders? Pah, not scary.

You should take a good look at the "Birding Bond" thread. It may actually help.
    How about this one: I prefer M's reciting Tennyson in SF to Tracy reciting the 'Thy dawn' poem in OHMSS.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited February 2018 Posts: 6,778
    Strog wrote: »
    How about this one: I prefer M's reciting Tennyson in SF to Tracy reciting the 'Thy dawn' poem in OHMSS.

To each his own of course, but I’m afraid I can’t agree at all there mate.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Strog wrote: »
    I agree. Even though there were obvious differences in tone and intent, I still think Dench did a great job and I appreciated the interspersing of her comments with Bond (who does embody the message) running towards the courthouse to save her.

I found the Tracy one a bit cringeworthy to be honest.
    Next time you are in court, try reciting poems and good luck with it.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The problem I have with M's speech is that it is meant to be serious and inspiring (even with Tanner's goofy mug starring blankly forward sitting next to her as she reads), which supposes a bit too much. Tracy's speech is meant to be somewhat silly and absurd (as is Blofeld's reaction), which is therefore less offensive to me.

My big issue with the scene in OHMSS is that Blofeld falls for it too easily and I don't think he should be attracted to Tracy.
    My controversial opinion: Blofeld in the movie OHMSS is uneven. Savalas is properly ruthless but there's moments such as showing his interest in Tracy that are out of character.
    Not that controversial, but TB is the only truly good fourth film for any Bond. Something about that number became cursed; the other 3 actors’ fourth movies are all in my bottom five (SP, MR, and DAD).
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Not that controversial, but TB is the only truly good fourth film for any Bond. Something about that number became cursed; the other 3 actors’ fourth movies are all in my bottom five (SP, MR, and DAD).
    MR is a guilty pleasure of mine (although it's certainly not in TB's league and I don't objectively rank it high). The rest I have no time for.
    I would rank the 4th films

1 SP
    2 TB
    3 MR
    4 DAD
    1. TB

2. SP
    3. MR

4. DAD
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    1. TB
    2. MR
    3. SP (ranking on an objective basis. DAD is actually more fun for me)
    4. DAD
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I think I'm on the verge of preferring MR over TB. MR is more fun each time I watch it, while TB just keeps getting duller with its inferior villain and its borderlin tedious underwater sequences. Easily the least entertaining of the Connery films for me, although probably a "better" movie (including cinematögraphy, logical plot etc. etc.) than YOLT and DAF. Still less re-watchable.

But either way, the other two are really no contenders, though I'd still rate SP about 3/10 higher than the DAD disaster.
    Quite a variation of opinion on this subject it seems.
    That pesky #4. TB needs a quality companion next time.

So far the two fifth Bond films are solid I think (YOLT and FYEO), so here’s hoping Craig’s can be too.
    I love TB and find it superior to SP, but I'd say SP is in many ways today's TB. And it makes me forgive many of its flaws.
    It’s a little bit similar, but not a lot I don’t think.
    I'm afraid I can't see the similarity.
    bondjames wrote: »

Maybe more the novel. Big SPECTRE meeting, first "true" introduction of the organization and of Blofeld, large scale, more extensive feature of MI6, lots of time spent in England...
    Ludovico wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Maybe more the novel. Big SPECTRE meeting, first "true" introduction of the organization and of Blofeld, large scale, more extensive feature of MI6, lots of time spent in England...
    Oh, I see now. Yes, perhaps you're right in that regard.

In terms of the 'feeling' the film gave me upon first viewing in the theatre, it was more TND combined with TWINE (and believe me when I say that's not a positive from my perspective).
    l would also add to this: a French Bond girl (movie related) who is in the story for family reasons. And a PTS about the death of a SPECTRE agent. But it's the general feel which somehow reminds me of TB.